Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's the cost of it?

I'm doing my best to gather information about the cost of racing in various series. Now I wonder, what's the cost of doing only Indy? This is from the following perspectives;

a) buy a ride - how much is said to be needed for a top, mid and backmarker team?

b) buy a car & run it for yourself?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Read this:
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...68/1247/SPORTS

That's what it would cost to be a backmarker, at just Indy. To be a front runner, I've heard figures from 4 to 10 million per car per year.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chump change for major sponsors

The costs to sponsor a major Champ Car team to run at Indy is nothing for many corporate sponsors. The fact that few are biting reflects the lack of prestige and allure of the month of may enjoyed in days gone by.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It isn't the sponsors that aren't biting. The CC teams haven't entered the race. All the cars that made the field at Indy have some sponsorship. The TV rating for Indy will likely be higher than that of CC's whole season. Some years, it's been DOUBLE.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    It isn't the sponsors that aren't biting. The CC teams haven't entered the race. All the cars that made the field at Indy have some sponsorship. The TV rating for Indy will likely be higher than that of CC's whole season. Some years, it's been DOUBLE.
    Looking at the chart of the grid on the web site, it sure looks like there are still six unsponsored car in the field.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Car names don't list associate sponsors very often. And, for those in the field, some deals come together even this week, if past practice continues.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good sponsors

Nearly all of the field may have sponsors, but how strong are they? Are some of the lower part of the grid even being paid? Why is TG having to pay some teams to run in most IRL races? If McDonalds wanted Newman Haas to have Bourdais in the 500, they would put up the money and NH could have been there.

So far as the engine leases go; anytime you have one supplier the competition goes down and the cost goes up. Honda cannot hang their hat on beating themselves so they must make the Indy R&D profitable.

We should all admit that as long as one man believes he is larger than the event and sport itself; nothing good will happen. How long TG will keep funding low budget teams out of his own pocket is a good question.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Car names don't list associate sponsors very often. And, for those in the field, some deals come together even this week, if past practice continues.
    I was talking about the blank sidepods still shown on pictorial grid (they have been updating as some sponsors have signed on). and yes, I know some sponsorship shows up between bump & carb days.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Colsanders, Newman-Haas, if it wanted to and/or if McDonald's wanted it to, could have been there if it so chose to be there. It didn't enter the race.

I have no idea what the books like like for teams at the lower part of the grid and I doubt that you do, either. I DO know that last place in the "500" pays about $200,000 in purse money.

As for you and others saying TG is fronting the field, and why would he rather have Marty Roth or Milka Duno if he's going to do that than give KK free engines for unnamed CC competitors, maybe it's because he ISN'T fronting the field.

It seems to be the fashionable thing from the CW mantra currently to stomp their feet and say, "Well, Bourdais is better than that guy." If Bourdais and Newman-Haas or whoever in CC wants to prove it, enter the race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Funny I saw plenty of empty sidepods.....I especially like the corporate names of Vision and Penske Racing. What product do they sell?

Well we know what Vision sells and it's a product that the empty stands at Indy and the IRL races that no one is buying and as far as Penske Racing? How many people buy products from Penske Racing?

Nice try but I'm sure that you can get your name on those empty sidepods for a song and a dnace.

I saw at least 10-12 empty sidepods during qualifying.