Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thousandlakes View Post
    Ford has announced that fiesta has around 235hp with 1.5 liter (3cyl) engine and Renault has announced that clio has 260hp with 1.33L engine. (4cyl). How is it possible? They have different restrictors (officially 31mm) or this is just typical politics from manufacturers? If looking just those numbers I quess Clio is much faster. Anyone there knows how this goes? Anyway it is nice to see 2 Manus in rally3.
    What about torque?

Rallying isn’t just about top power but also the engine usage range.

Liked 99 Times in 48 Posts
    Can add weight for those list also.

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What about torque?

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What about torque?

Still it would be about 10% horsepower difference which would be huge. You also need to remember that torque an hp are directly linked so so just different characteristics (where is the torque/power in the rev range wouldn't be enough to explain the difference).

I think it is the usual, power figures in motorsport are useless. I suspect M-Sport gives the "power" figure that the class is suppose d to have and Renault slipped up and quotes more like the actual figure. Kind of like the 285hp Rally2 claims, yet on the dyno those produce about 320hp.

Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
    Ford has announced that fiesta has around 235hp with 1.5 liter (3cyl) engine and Renault has announced that clio has 260hp with 1.33L engine. (4cyl). How is it possible? They have different restrictors (officially 31mm) or this is just typical politics from manufacturers? If looking just those numbers I quess Clio is much faster. Anyone there knows how this goes? Anyway it is nice to see 2 Manus in rally3.
    Did you also belive that all the 2litre WRCs had 300hp?
    Fiesta shows 250-260hp on the dyno

Liked 167 Times in 94 Posts
    Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt having more cylinders alow you to run a shorter stroke engine couplef with lighter moving parts which would allow it to rev higher and produce more power?

Wasn't that the main way they tunned cars for power before turbos? Big bore, short stroke

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kras View Post
    Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt having more cylinders alow you to run a shorter stroke engine couplef with lighter moving parts which would allow it to rev higher and produce more power?

Wasn't that the main way they tunned cars for power before turbos? Big bore, short stroke
    its not that simple/More cylinders=longer/heavier engine

Liked 167 Times in 94 Posts
    Yes, but the weight of the car has nothing to do with the power output. And they are already using balast anyway, so with a heavier car you reduce the balast

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Yes, but the weight of the car has nothing to do with the power output. And they are already using balast anyway, so with a heavier car you reduce the balast
    so lets build 6 cylinder engines

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts

Yes it would, but with a turbo restrictor engine it is pointless to make a classic NA high reving engine as you wouldn't be reaching those revs anyway.