Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Sainz claims Ferrari mastery behind 2023 optimism.
    Carlos Sainz believes he has now "mastered" the new generation of F1 car which has sparked a renewed level of optimism ahead of the 2023 season.
    Sunday 11 December 2022 13:30
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

Carlos Sainz believes he has now "mastered" the new generation of F1 car which has sparked a renewed level of optimism ahead of the 2023 season. Asked about his feelings entering the winter break, Sainz replied: “Honestly, I’m a lot more optimistic and confident than I was half [a season] ago.

"The last run of races, the pace I had, the tyre management, the race pace, the quali, everything was a lot smoother, a lot more competitive, back to a level that I know I’m capable of driving. I’m back to a level that I should have been at the beginning of the year and this leaves me obviously with optimism.”

"Also with a feeling that I have finally mastered this car and these regulations and that whatever type of car comes next year, I am ready to drive it. I’ve changed many things in my driving. I’ve had to reset a lot of things on my systems. I wish I wouldn’t have [to have] done it but it has also made me a more complete driver so I’m ready to go for it.”

‘Ferrari mastery behind 2023 optimism’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...2023-optimism/

Sainz says long-standing partner gave Ferrari an 'advantage'
    09/12/2022 at 16:11
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Carlos Sainz believes Ferrari's oldest technical partner gave the Scuderia an advantage this season in one crucial area. "This season it was mandatory to race with 10% bio ethanol fuel," Sainz explained, quoted by RacingNews.365.

"Looking at this season, I think it gave us an advantage that Shell is so strong with creating the fuel with 10% bio ethanol. They have experience with it and have worked hard in recent years to create the highest quality version. Because they have created an excellent product, as a driver the difference from last year was not noticeable.”

"This is because they have worked hard in the last few years on the project with 10% bio ethanol and they will do the same with creating the 100% sustainable fuel in 2026." Quite remarkably, Shell, which is working with Ferrari to help reach F1's net zero carbon targe by 2030, has been associated with the Italian manufacturer since 1929, the year the Scuderia was founded by Enzo Ferrari.

‘Ferrari an advantage';

https://f1i.com/news/462527-sainz-sa...advantage.html

Carlos Sainz identifies two areas Ferrari need to improve for 2023
    Friday 9th December 2022 9:15 AM
    Sam Cooper

Having seen himself go from title contender to P5, Carlos Sainz has identified where Ferrari fell down in the 2022 season. “First of all, we have to get better in the Grands Prix,” the Ferrari driver said according to the Dutch edition of Motorsport.com.

“We had a recurring thing, so we didn’t make good starts. In that fight [with Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi] I lost five or six seconds [due to a poor start].” Sainz also stated that more must be done to improve the car throughout the season with the F1-75 arguably the quickest at the start of the campaign but then lagging behind both Red Bull and Mercedes by the final race in Abu Dhabi.

“We simply didn’t develop well,” the Spaniard said. “Rome wasn’t built in a day, though. You also have to look at where we came from. If you look at the progress over the past two years, it’s great to see.”

‘Two areas Ferrari need to improve for 2023’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/carlos...-improve-2023/

Sainz learned the most from 'challenging' 2022 campaign
    05/12/2022 at 14:51
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Carlos Sainz says his 2022 campaign with Ferrari with his most challenging season yet in Formula 1, but also the one from which he has learned the most since his debut in the sport in 2015.

"It’s been a very challenging start to the season with me immediately on the back foot and heading into challenges that I probably didn’t expect to have," he said, quoted by Formula 1.com. "But I’m honestly very proud, the way that I recovered the season, the way that I managed to stay motivated, even with all the ups and downs that I had, with all the setbacks that we had.”

"As a team, as an individual, with so many DNFs, we still managed to turn the season around and now I’m driving again at the level that I know I’m able to drive. I’m going to take the positives and keep that as a positive."

‘Most challenging season’;

https://f1i.com/news/462339-sainz-le...-campaign.html

Ferrari duo Sainz and Leclerc test for Pirelli at Fiorano
    7 December, 2022
    Paul Velasco
    Grand Prix 247

While most Formula 1 drivers are chilling during the off-season, Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc returned to the wheel of the Ferrari F1-75, at Fiorano on Tuesday, for the first of two Pirelli test days, in preparation for the 2023 season.

Sainz got going at around 11 am in the morning, taking advantage of the wet asphalt after the night’s rain as Pirelli adjusted the run plan to the conditions, starting the test with the intermediate tyres (green stripe) and then changing to slicks.

This outing was the second Pirelli test of the post-season. Last weekend Pirelli began tested at Paul Ricard, with Robert Kubica on duty in the Alfa Romeo C42, with intermediate and extreme rain tires. After these two days with Ferrari, AlphaTauri will test dry tyres in Portimao, from December 14 to 15. The last of the year.

‘Pirelli test at Fiorano’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/12...at-fiorano-f1/

Carlos Sainz thanks Mattia Binotto as boss heads for Ferrari exit
    Published: 30 Nov 2022, 13:51
    By George Dagless
    Give Me Sport

Carlos Sainz has taken to Twitter to thank Mattia Binotto for his efforts in light of the news he’s handed in his resignation at Ferrari. Binotto leaves the Scuderia at the end of the calendar year after it was confirmed that he would be leaving his post earlier this week. Charles Leclerc posted in light of the news on Instagram, and Sainz has done similar, taking to Twitter to post his message of thanks to his now outgoing boss.

Grazie Mattia. It’s been a pleasure to work alongside you to push the team and ourselves forward through thick and thin. Thanks for the great memories and moments we shared in and out of a racing track and all the best in your future endeavors! Carlos Sainz.

‘Grazie Mattia’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88090087...r-ferrari-exit

Wolff makes "more potent" Mercedes vow for 2023.
    Toto Wolff has backed Mercedes to provide a "more potent" F1 title threat in 2023 despite conceding the difficulty of closing the gap to Red Bull.
    Monday 12 December 2022 06:40
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Mercedes ended the year third in the constructors' race and 244 points adrift of the championship winners after struggling to get on top of its porpoising problems. Team principal Wolff has refused to shy away from the fact Mercedes "underestimated" the phenomenon but believes better things are on the way with the W14.

“I am always a glass-half-empty guy and I see the risks," Wolff told the 'Beyond the Grid' podcast. As a matter of fact, if you are trying to be logical, Red Bull was very dominant throughout the season. They have won 15 races or more.”

“It is going to be very difficult to have a development slope that is steeper than theirs and also that of Ferrari, but I believe in the organisation. And fundamentally, it is not about a lack of downforce, but it is about making that downforce work on the car."

‘On the way with the W14’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...ff-prediction/

Wolff dismisses "stupid pill" behind Mercedes 2022 failure
    Sunday 11 December 2022 06:00
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Toto Wolff is adamant Mercedes 'did not take a stupid pill' when designing the W13 despite delivering a blunt assessment of his team's shortcomings this year.

"My assumption of why a team would function - that I learned back in the Williams days - is that you have to have the right infrastructure, the financial resource, good drivers, a powerful engine, the right organisation, and enough time to put it all together.

“These ingredients would make sure that you are competitive. Winning can be something else, and winning a championship is a different thing, but we have all of that."

"Stupid pill";

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...22-assessment/

‘Mercedes didn’t suddenly take a stupid pill, we got the W13’s concept wrong’
    Friday 9th December 2022 3:30 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

The team’s 2022 car, the W13, has been described as everything from a “diva” to an “onion” such were its layers of problems, porpoising at the forefront of the list. But even after that was minimised, the team still had to peel away one issue after another, Mercedes making the most progress of any team in the latter part of the championship.

“We got it wrong,” Wolff admitted on the Beyond The Grid Podcast. “I think even the best people can get it wrong. We underestimated the effect when running the car very low, and others have done a better job whether they knew the effect from past days or they were simply more focused on this particular area of car behaviour. I don’t know.”

“But in the organisation nobody is shy to say that we’ve done a bad job here. Very easy. There is no hiding, no seeking for explanation how we ended up there. I mean, all of us are saying we got this very wrong and others got it very right.”

‘Nobody is shy to say that we’ve done a bad job’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merced...ng-toto-wolff/

Toto Wolff maybe put too much pressure on Mercedes over W13 issues
    Sunday 11th December 2022 9:15 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff put perhaps too much pressure on the team at times in 2022, but hopes to see the benefits of this moving forward. “And I think we had our moments. When I look back, there was a certain degree of pressure, maybe too much that I put on the organisation at times, but it made me learn, learn about the strengths and the weaknesses of the organisation.”

“And at the end, it comes back to the sentence ‘the days we lose are the days our competitors will regret because we learn the most’ and hopefully the future will be proof of that. Asked if it was at the start of the season where he applied the most pressure, Wolff responded: “No, I think when it sank in that we didn’t really understand how to fix some of the car issues.”

“And it wasn’t that it was the porpoising or whether it was a suspension problem, it was basically every stone you turned around had a problem.”

‘Too much pressure’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...sure-mercedes/

Hamilton Verstappen Abu Dhabi controversy to haunt Mercedes "forever" - Wolff
    Monday 12 December 2022 14:56
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has conceded the controversial climax to the 2021 title fight between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen will haunt the team "forever".

The 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will live in infamy alongside the 1990 decider between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost and the 1994 equivalent of Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill as one of the most controversial title deciders in history.

"Abu Dhabi 2021 is going to affect us for a long time, or forever maybe," Wolff told the Beyond the Grid podcast.

‘Haunt Mercedes forever’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...er-toto-wolff/

Williams team principal Capito and technical director Demaison step down.
    Williams have announced that team principal Jost Capito and technical director Francois-Xavier “FX” Demaison are both stepping down from their positions.
    2022 F1 season
    Posted on 12th December 2022, 17:04
    Written by Will Wood

Capito led Williams since the multiple world championship-winning team was purchased by Dorilton Capital in 2020. Over two full seasons in 2021 and 2022, Williams finished eighth and last in the constructors’ championship, respectively.

Williams confirmed that both Capito and Demaison will leave their posts during the off-season. Capito, a former Volkswagen director of motorsport, had been set to retire before accepting an offer to join Williams first as CEO, then as team principal from June of 2021.

Capito is the second team principal to step down since the end of the season. Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto offered his resignation at the end of the month following Ferrari’s disappointing end to the 2022 season, where the team’s championship challenge faded and rivals Red Bull claimed both world championship titles.

‘Stepping down from their positions’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/12/12/...son-step-down/

Ralf Schumacher ‘surprised’ by Jost Capito’s exit, blames ‘impatient’ investors
    Wednesday 14th December 2022 11:00 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Ralf Schumacher has weighed in on this week’s team boss moves, saying Williams didn’t give Jost Capito enough time while McLaren’s dual leadership may have prompted Andreas Seidl’s exit.

While all the focus in the off-season was on Ferrari, Formula 1 fans waiting to learn who would replace Mattia Binotto as the Scuderia’s next team boss, Williams shocked everyone when they announced on Monday night that Capito would be leaving.

“The position will be filled internally,” he told Sky Deutschland of Capito’s departure. “I’m surprised that Jost had to go. I could imagine that the investors were a little angry and not happy with the progress. You can also see that from the fact that other important people in the team also had to go. I’m sorry for Jost. I think the executive floor were too impatient, he should have had a little more time.”

‘Impatient investors blamed’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ralf-s...t-capito-exit/

Eccentric Capito leaves a Williams team divided. Is it 2 years overdue?
    Jost Capito's departure from Williams suggests it's looking for a reset after two years of quirky management that alienated much of the F1 team, writes Chris Medland
    December 14th 2022
    Author Chris Medland
    Motor Sport Magazine

Sometimes, announcements come out of the blue and really catch you by surprise. The first reports of Mattia Binotto’s departure from Ferrari were like that, as it didn’t really seem like there was huge unrest in terms of working for the team principal, even if the Scuderia’s performances weren’t always up to scratch this year.

Jost Capito “stepping aside” at Williams was less surprising, but also had been less openly discussed as being on the cards. It’s not that I can claim to know it was coming, but there had been plenty of signs that all was not well at Grove.

Some of those signs just seemed funny, and a somewhat eccentric approach to management that might well have worked in the right environment. It was hard not to laugh when told that Capito insisted a race weekend meeting in the garage each Friday morning would end with him repeating “Let’s go…” for the team to reply: “Racing!”.

‘Plenty of signs that all was not well at Grove’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

ANALYSIS: Why Williams split with Capito and Demaison – and what’s next for the team from Grove?
    12 December 2022
    Lawrence Barretto
    F1 Correspondent & Presenter
    Formula One - Official Site

It’s all change at Williams, with Team Principal Jost Capito and Technical Director FX Demaison leaving Formula 1’s second most successful team. F1 Correspondent Lawrence Barretto looks at why the duo are moving on and what lies ahead for the British team…

Capito made sweeping changes after 100 days in charge, reorganising the technical team and attempting to change the culture. He also put a focus on trying to enhance the brand – with a big push to boost their profile in the United States of America. However, his recruitment of Demaison – who he worked with at Volkswagen and was known to have experience of ground effect and simulation – appears to have been seen as an error by the new owners.

The car underperformed this year – and sources say the team have been anticipating 2023 will be another difficult year based on the current design. There has been high turnover within Williams over the last couple of years, either because staff have been let go or they have chosen to leave – and that has made gelling the operation more challenging.

‘Williams ANALYSIS’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...75EAbTnNI.html

Williams shake-up will wreck or save its ‘open heart surgery’
    Dec 13 2022
    By Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race.

At the end of the 2022 Formula 1 season, Williams chief Jost Capito said the team’s long-term rebuild was like performing open heart surgery on a patient while they ran a marathon.

It paints an evocative image that highlights the complexity of the task at hand for a team in a massive transition, trying to turn years of underinvestment and poor results into a successful future.

That task, it turns out, is one that Capito’s not the best person for, according to Williams owner Dorilton Capital. And neither is FX Demaison, the technical director Capito hired, for both are leaving the team after two seasons.

‘Williams shake-up’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/willi...heart-surgery/

Abrupt exits suggest Williams wants a quick course correction
    Dec 12 2022
    By Edd Straw
    The Race

When Jost Capito arrived as Williams CEO in February 2021, it was seen as a key step in what was a long-term strategy for the Formula 1 team under Dorilton Capital. The fact that he and, significantly, technical director Francois-Xavier Demaison are leaving after just two seasons can only mean a significant change of direction.

Exactly how dramatic remains to be seen. Certainly, the results on the track weren’t as hoped for, with Williams managing just eight points and a distant last in the constructors’ championship in 2022. Given Demaison’s ground effect and simulation expertise, sharpened during his VW career where he worked under Capito, had been talked up it’s clear that there was disappointment in how the car performed.

‘Williams want a quick course correction’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/abrup...se-correction/

Is Susie Wolff the perfect F1 team principal for Williams?
    14 Dec 2022
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

With vacancies at Alfa Romeo and Williams, who could become their new team bosses for F1 2023? It’s been a crazy couple of days in F1 with a series of big announcements.

It was all started by Williams’ announcement on Monday, announcing the departures of Jost Capito and technical director FX Demaison. On Tuesday, Frederic Vasseur was confirmed as Ferrari’s new team boss before a shock move from Andreas Seidl to join Sauber as their CEO.

McLaren decided to promote former Ferrari engineer Andrea Stella as their team principal following Seidl’s departure.

‘A crazy couple of days in F1’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/101...cipal-williams

Martin Brundle’s verdict on Ferrari team boss change: ‘Mercedes and Red Bull will be smiling'.
    Martin Brundle believes Mercedes and Red Bull will view Ferrari’s change of team boss as good news, because it will “destabilise” their F1 rival.
    15 Dec 2022
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Former F1 driver-turned-pundit Brundle has questioned the timing of Ferrari’s decision to make such a fundamental change, and suggested it will leave the Italian outfit in a state of “limbo”. I'm not quite sure why Ferrari would choose now to have a month without a boss,"

Brundle told Sky. "I do think they should have given Binotto more time. If I was Mercedes or Red Bull right now, I'd be smiling because continuity is everything. As Formula 1 seasons get longer and more intense, you have to be careful of these sea changes of personnel.”

“Mercedes have got real continuity, as have Red Bull in key personnel. Fred Vasseur has got to go in and find his way, get established, understand, and it's a tall order.”

‘Mercedes and Red Bull will be smiling';

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/101834...ill-be-smiling

Nico Rosberg criticises Ferrari for axing Mattia Binotto
    14 December 2022
    by Jack Devonport
    Formula1News

2016 F1 champion Nico Rosberg has now questioned Ferrari’s decision to replace Binotto as team principal, claiming that continuity is key to success in Formula 1.

“That is one of the most difficult jobs in the world. It will be tough for Ferrari because it’s not like there are many people on the market that are up to the job,” explained Rosberg. “The role is complicated everywhere, much more there because you have incredible pressure. Let’s see what solution they find…”

“Is it right to change? I don’t know, but I know that continuity is a value in Formula 1. Mercedes and Red Bull have not changed most of the key people for ten years. That’s what Ferrari lacks. Being a ream principal is one of the hardest jobs in the world.”

‘Continuity is a value in Formula 1’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/nico-rosb...attia-binotto/

Vasseur: The new man at the heart of the Ferrari crucible
    14/12/2022 at 13:00
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Frédéric Vasseur has been announced as the new Ferrari team principal following Mattia Binotto's resignation from the post. It'll be a huge challenge for the 54-year-old Frenchman, but he's had years of experience achieving success. Will he now be able do the same for the Scuderia in 2023?

Vasseur is a relative newcomer to Formula 1, having only stepped into the Grand Prix paddock in 2016 when he took over as team principal at Renault. But by then he was by no means a stranger to motorsport in junior championships, having already played a major role in finding and developing some of the sport's future greatest talents, skills that would carry him far - all the way to one of the top jobs in F1.

Vasseur had brokered a deal for ART to run under the iconic Lotus brand in 2011 and 2012, and by now he was looking to spread his wings. His latest venture Spark Racing Technology won the contract to construct 40 chassis for the inaugural Formula E season in 2013, and in 2016 he finally reached the F1 summit when he was appointed team principal at Renault.

‘Ferrari crucible!’;

https://f1i.com/magazine/462766-vass...-crucible.html

The key issues the new Ferrari boss must sort out
    10:09 Wed, 14 Dec 2022.
    Author Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

Incoming Ferrari boss Fred Vasseur has been tasked with leading the Scuderia back to championship glory. Here are the main issues he must deal with. All the ingredients were there for Ferrari in the 2022 Formula 1 season to have a crack at claiming either championship title.

Here are the main problems he faces in trying to achieve that. Keeping Leclerc onside. Perhaps the most pressing issue of all facing Vasseur is his star driver Leclerc - and keeping him happy. Fix the race strategy issues. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest, 'to lose one race due to bad strategy, Mr Binotto, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two or three looks like carelessness.'

Better development throughout the season. This is a team who know how to make a good racing car. But in 2022, something of a brick wall was hit. While the F1-75 was the fastest car at the beginning of the season, upgrades brought to it did not add the desired performance as Red Bull streaked away and Mercedes began to nibble away.

‘Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest’;

https://racingnews365.com/vasseurs-f...and-management

Ferrari 'set back three years' as Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen set for 2023 fight
    Ferrari have replaced former Team Principal Mattia Binotto with Fred Vasseur following a 2022 season that promised much but came to little.
    09:21, Wed, Dec 14, 2022
    By Fraser Watson

Ferrari have set themselves "back three years" with their decision to part ways with long-term Team Principal Mattia Binotto, according to one former F1 driver. On Tuesday, it was confirmed that Binotto was to be replaced by Alfa Romeo's Frederic Vasseur, with the Frenchman to begin his role on January 9 2023.

It's a change that would have seemed inconceivable just three races into F1's new era, with Charles Leclerc registering wins in Bahrain and Australia. However, him and teammate Carlos Sainz only won two more Grand Prix races between them as Max Verstappen proceeded to dominate the campaign. Ex-driver Christian Danner thinks that Ferrari would have been better served re-assessing their issues, rather than making such a seismic change. And the former Arrows man also warned the team had overlooked the one factor needed to be successful in the sport.

“There is a magic word in Formula 1, how to be successful, and that means continuity,” he told AvD Motor & Sport magazine from Sport1. “Even if things aren’t going so well, it’s better to analyse the problems, maybe even restructure them, but to continue working within a large structure." And Danner thinks the drastic change has scuppered any Ferrari hopes of challenging for the F1 title in 2023 and beyond: “I fear that Mattia Binotto’s departure will set Ferrari back three years.”

‘Ferrari three year set back!’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...n-2023-F1-news

Frederic Vasseur given Ferrari sack warning just hours after replacing Mattia Binotto.
    Frederic Vasseur has already been warned that he could soon be facing the sack at Ferrari after officially becoming their new team principal on Tuesday.
    09:02, Wed, Dec 14, 2022
    By Archie Griggs
    Daily and Sunday Express

Frederic Vasseur was officially confirmed as Ferrari's new team principal on Tuesday. The 54-year-old took over at the Maranello-based outfit after stepping down from his role at Alfa Romeo to replace Mattia Binotto, who parted ways with Ferrari at the end of last month.

However, the Frenchman has already been warned by Peter Sauber, founder and retired former owner of the eponymous team currently branded as Alfa Romeo, that he could soon be ditched if he fails to live up to expectations from the outset.

"If you get an offer from Ferrari, you have to go," Sauber told Swiss newspaper Blick. "But if you know the history of Ferrari, back to the company founder Enzo, then you know that the team bosses usually have a short life. With the exception of Jean Todt, who ruled there for more than 12 years."

‘Could soon be facing the sack at Ferrari’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...inotto-F1-news

Sauber fire surprising warning at Fred Vasseur for joining Ferrari.
    Peter Sauber: “If you know the history of Ferrari- back to the company founder Enzo – then you know that the team bosses usually have a short life.”
    14 December 2022
    by Jack Devonport
    Formula1News

Christian Horner, Ross Brawn and Andreas Seidl were all reportedly on Ferrari’s radar, with chairman John Elkann reportedly favouring a high-profile appointment to replace Binotto. With Horner loyal to Red Bull, Brawn retiring and Seidl taking up a role with Sauber, Ferrari have chosen to appoint current Alfa Romeo team principal Fred Vasseur as their successor for Mattia Binotto.

With Ferrari struggling to compete with the consistency of Red Bull in 2022, the team will be hoping that an internal restructure will be able to play a key part in allowing the team to mount a more meaningful title charge in 2023.

Mattia Binotto’s reign at Ferrari lasted three years, meaning that still only three team principals out of 22 have lasted longer than the Swiss since Ferrari joined Formula 1.

‘Team bosses usually have a short life’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/sauber-fi...ining-ferrari/

Peter Sauber thanks McLaren for releasing Andreas Seidl.
    Current Alfa Romeo team principal Frederic Vasseur will be switching to Ferrari in January, leaving his role to be filled.
    15 December 2022
    by Nick Golding

Vasseur held two roles at Alfa Romeo, as well as being the team’s boss; he was also CEO of the Sauber Group, a role which has been accepted by McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl.

Seidl’s move from McLaren to Sauber has seen the Woking-based side’s executive director of racing Andrea Stella promoted to the team boss role, something Alfa Romeo are yet to decide upon.

Sauber also thanked McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown, who allowed Seidl to leave the British side despite being contracted until 2025. Sauber is “excited” to see the direction that Seidl takes the team, with the German having an impressive “track record”.

‘Peter Sauber thanks McLaren’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/peter-sau...andreas-seidl/

Former F1 driver takes aim at Bottas after Seidl move
    15:05 Wed, 14 Dec 2022.
    Author RacingNews365 Staff
    RacingNews365

Following the news that Andreas Seidl will move to Sauber as CEO, Ralf Schumacher believes time is limited for Valtteri Bottas with the team soon to enter a new era with Audi.

After the surprising move from McLaren's Andreas Seidl to move away from the team to take up a new role as CEO of Sauber, questions have arisen over the future plans of Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu. Bottas has previously said he would like stick around for the evolution of the project, but Ralf Schumacher believes the Finn may not be around to see the transition to Audi.

"I'm curious to see what ideas Andreas Seidl has with the drivers, there are also rumours," he told MotorsportTotal. "Zhou is more or less set, brings a lot of money with him, which is significant until 2026, when Audi really comes in. But Bottas, you hear a bit, is counted on and should not necessarily stay there too long."

‘Questions have arisen’;

https://racingnews365.com/former-f1-...ter-seidl-move

Bottas issues verdict on maiden Alfa Romeo campaign
    Thursday 8 December 2022 16:09
    Sam Hall

Asked to assess his year, Bottas said: "[It was] up and down. We started really strong, then we suffered with quite a few reliability issues and some bad luck as well. And some teams were able to maybe out-develop us a bit, in a way. But I think we were able to regain some momentum."

Alfa Romeo finished second-last in the constructors' standings with just 13 points in 2021. But by the fourth race of the year, Bottas had exceeded this total on his own but he warned this is a "long-term project".

"We're focusing for the years ahead, and for the years ahead of us we see we can make good progress," he added. "So overall positive if we look at where the team comes from in the last few years."

‘Focusing for the years ahead’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...romeo-verdict/

Norris reveals McLaren plan for F1 revival.
    Lando Norris claims McLaren is formulating an improved plan to rejoin the top ranks of F1 after losing out to Alpine this year.
    Wednesday 14 December 2022 10:55
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

The Woking-based team had enjoyed a three-year resurgence from 2019-2021, finishing fourth, third and fourth in the constructors' championship, before F1 revamped the technical regulations for this year. "We understand where we need to improve but that is the easy part," said Norris.

"The hard part is achieving a car that actually performs doing those things, and there is a very good plan in place. When I have spoken to James [Key, McLaren technical director] there is a better, structured plan to combat this, to understand it."

Norris faith in wind tunnel gains. McLaren is undergoing an upgrade to its infrastructure at its technology centre, primarily with the construction of an in-house wind tunnel. Norris remains hopeful the improvements at its base will provide welcome progress on track.

‘Wind tunnel gains’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...-lando-norris/

Andrea Stella Appointed McLaren Team Principal after Andreas Seidl Departure
    December 13, 2022
    By Joe Briley
    The Checkered Flag

“I joined McLaren in 2019 and have really enjoyed working with Zak [Brown] and the team,” said Seidl. “We have achieved some good results, and I will always have fond memories, with Monza being a personal and career highlight.”

“The team is on a great trajectory, and I would like to thank everyone for their support, trust and commitment. Thanks to Zak and the shareholders for their understanding of my personal decision to move on to another challenge. I wish Andrea and the team all the best for the future.”

“I feel privileged to take on the Team Principal role as the next stage of being part of the McLaren F1 Team,” said Stella. “I am grateful to Zak and the Shareholders for their trust in me and to all my colleagues and those who have supported me throughout my F1 career.”

‘Andrea Stella Appointed McLaren Team Principal’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...idl-departure/

New McLaren boss Stella pinpoints important area of improvement.
    07:01 Thu, 15 Dec 2022.
    Author Jake Nichol
    Co-author Dieter Rencken
    RacingNews365

Andrea Stella will step up to McLaren Team Principal in 2023, and has highlighted a key area he feels needs improvement. Incoming McLaren boss Andrea Stella believes the team must address its aerodynamic deficiencies to rival Formula 1 teams.

Stella was appointed as Team Principal following the departure of Andreas Seidl to become Sauber CEO in preparation for Audi's arrival in 2026. Seidl was instrumental in deciding to upgrade McLaren's ageing wind-tunnel at their Woking HQ, which should be available for use in 2023.

And while he was keen to highlight the infrastructure improvements being made at McLaren, former Ferrari man Stella pointed out that the squad needs to improve in the aerodynamic department.

‘Important area of improvement’;

https://racingnews365.com/new-mclare...of-improvement

Who is our new Team Principal, Andrea Stella?
    14:53 Thu, 15 Dec 2022.
    McLaren - Official Site

Detail-orientated, but with a focus on the big picture – here's what to expect from the Italian. Twenty-four hours is a long time in Formula 1, and although it may seem like a lot has changed within a short period, the wheels of Andrea Stella's trajectory to Team Principal have not only recently started turning, they've been in motion for some while.
    The Italian's roles, responsibilities and value to McLaren have grown ever since he first set foot into the McLaren Technology Centre and walked the famous white corridors back in 2015.

He has long been seen both internally and externally as a potential leader of a team. Whilst the decision to promote him was not taken lightly, it was well-earned, and the most rational, continuity-based selection in keeping with our current direction. His skills were well-known to the team, and his DNA was already imprinted on McLaren – and vice versa.

‘Detail-orientated’;

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/...andrea-stella/

Brown promises McLaren continuity under Stella
    15/12/2022 at 08:19
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

McLaren CEO Zak Brown says that the appointment of Andrea Stella as the new team principal of the F1 teams means that there will be no break in the the team's programme to return to the top of the sport.

Stella will replace Andreas Seidl in the role, who this week was announced as the new CEO of Sauber Motorsport ahead of its partnership with Audi that commences in 2026. For Brown. Stella was an obvious choice rather than headhunting candidates from outside the organisation, which could have caused disruption to the team's development.

“The response I’ve had from the racing team about Andrea’s appointment has been predictably very well received," Brown said this week. "“Andrea was always our number one choice to lead the team moving forward. This feels like we won’t miss a beat versus introducing someone from the outside, because it takes quite a while to get up to speed."

‘McLaren continuity’;

https://f1i.com/news/462804-brown-pr...er-stella.html

Williams warned it is 'stuck in the past' and facing long road to recovery.
    Outgoing Williams technical director François-Xavier Demaison believes the team faces a long road back to success as in ways it is 'stuck in the past'.
    Wednesday 14 December 2022 17:25
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Williams is one of the most successful teams in F1 history, sitting fourth in terms of race victories and second only to Ferrari with its haul of nine constructors' titles. Assessing Williams' past season in November prior to his exit, Demaison said: "The cars did not really change since the upgrade we did for Silverstone. "For many reasons, we did not really concentrate our effort on this car, but more on the long transformation we are doing in Grove. This is our priority.”

"We maximised the opportunity we have and then we concentrate on the long term and improve our team. That's the main thing. For sure I'm a racer, I'm not happy with being 10th in the championship, but I think it's something we have to accept at the moment and really build for the future."

"We've been investing a lot of money and effort in the modernisation of the company. For many reasons, mostly financial, Williams has been stuck a bit in the past, so that was the priority - invest in the wind tunnel, invest in the factory and invest in people. So we are slowly getting to where we are but to build a team you need two to three years and to get the maximum out of this team, it’s another two to three years. It’s a long journey."

'Stuck in the past'

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...d-to-recovery/

Albon warned to push Williams harder
    Thursday 15 December 2022 17:20
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Departed Williams technical director François-Xavier Demaison has claimed that Alex Albon is 'too nice' and should push the team harder.

Praising Albon's technical ability, Demaison, who left his role at the same time as CEO and team principal Jost Capito ahead of the new year, said: "It was a really good help for us because we are only engineers and we need drivers to give us a direction.

"And because of his experience, it’s helped us and given us the right direction. So, it’s really a good help and he’s a nice person – sometimes too nice. He needs to be a bit harder with the team and push us a bit more – but I’m working on this."

‘Push Williams harder’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/98...lliams-warned/

Albon: Securing F1 stay was main aim for 2022
    04:54 Thu, 15 Dec 2022.
    by Phillip Horton
    Motorsport Week

The Anglo-Thai spearheaded Williams’ challenge in 2022, scoring points on three occasions, and was retained by the team on a multi-year deal.
    “If I look truthfully, the main thing I wanted when I got back into F1 was to stay in F1,” said Albon.

“It sounds a silly thing to say, but it’s true; when you have a one-year contract there’s no guarantee [beyond 2022], and that box has been firmly ticked. In terms of myself, driving, and getting that confidence back behind the wheel, and getting into rhythm of the car, being on the limit, feeling like I’m in control, I do feel I’ve got that back,” said Albon.

“I do feel I’ve done a good job this year and feel like I’ve proven myself to what I know I can do. Of course I still want to push on and get good results and impress and show the team what I can do, but for this year, having the year out, all things considered I feel it has been a positive year – it’s maybe even gone better than I expected.”

‘Securing F1 stay’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...-aim-for-2022/

Ralf Schumacher surprised by Williams management shake-up
    14/12/2022 at 15:43
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Schumacher, who reckons the position of team principal will be filled internally, believes that Williams' upper management lacked patience. "I’m surprised that Jost had to go," Schumacher told Sky Germany.

"I imagine the investors were a little angry and not happy with the progress. You can also see that from the fact that other important people in the team also had to go. I’m sorry for Jost. I think the executives were too impatient, he should have had a little more time."

‘Williams management shake-‘;

https://f1i.com/news/462796-ralf-sch...-shake-up.html

SARGEANT FELT “LESS PRESSURE THAN EXPECTED” IN SEARCH OF F1 SUPERLICENCE.
    The American driver had to make sure that he finished at least sixth in the Formula 2 championship to secure the 40 superlicence points needed to compete in Formula 1
    19:07 Thu, 15 Dec 2022.
    Nathan Hartley
    FormulaNerds

Sargeant was announced as Nicholas Latifi’s replacement at Williams during the United States Grand Prix. However, the American still needed to secure enough superlicence points to be able to compete in Formula 1 in 2023. The 21-year-old had to ensure that he did not drop below sixth in the drivers’ championship to secure the 40 points required.

The Formula 2 championship was close and unpredictable, giving Sargeant a lot of pressure to perform. The American did just that, finishing fourth in Abu Dhabi, securing his place in Formula 1 next season.

Jost Capito was an admirer of the American. However, himself and his Technical Director FX Demaison are now leaving before the 2023 season. Could that have a negative impact on the 21-year-old driver?

“LESS PRESSURE THAN EXPECTED”;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/sa.../?nowprocket=1

Just like dad: Schumacher goes from Ferrari to Mercedes.
    Mick Schumacher agrees to become reserve driver for Mercedes F1 team. Former Haas driver finished 2022 season 16th with 12 points.
    2022-12-15 17:36:05
    Son Güncelleme

Mick Schumacher has agreed to become a reserve driver for Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team. "I am thrilled to be part of the Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team as their reserve driver for 2023, and I am committed to give it my all to contribute to their performance in this very competitive and professional environment," Schumacher said on Thursday.

Toto Wolff, team principal and CEO of Mercedes, said: "Mick is a talented young driver and we’re delighted to have him join the Team. He is a hard worker, has a calm and methodical approach and is still hungry to learn and improve as a driver. These are all important qualities."

‘Just like dad’;

https://www.turkiyenewspaper.com/sports/13633

Mick Schumacher explains plan to help Lewis Hamilton after bagging exciting Mercedes role
    Mick Schumacher has detailed how he plans to help Lewis Hamilton after landing an exciting role at Mercedes.
    17:00, Fri, Dec 16, 2022
    By Ben Parsons

Mick Schumacher has detailed how he plans to help Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and George Russell after being handed an F1 lifeline. The German driver has landed the reserve driver role at Mercedes and will work on the team simulator and stand in for Hamilton or Russell if either of the Brits are unable to race.

He will now be tasked with developing the W14 with diligent work in the simulator, providing maximum support for Hamilton and Russell in their pursuit of race wins. And Schumacher believes his insight into the new technical regulations will help to get the best of the incumbent Mercedes drivers.

“I guess it is not as common to have a reserve driver that has been driving in the new era of cars,” he said on the Mercedes Youtube channel. “I know the new tyres, I know what the car is about and what it needs in terms of driving style. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to that but also see what the drivers need from the outside and obviously the simulator work is going to be very important. We have a lot to do and hopefully I will be able to contribute the knowledge I have, but also gain a lot of knowledge myself that I can use for the rest of my career and life.”

‘Ttasked with developing the W14’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ilton-Mercedes

Mick Schumacher says he can be a "top F1 driver" despite two points results from 43 races
    The first two years of Schumacher's Formula 1 career did not go to plan and now he is left without a race seat for the 2023 season, after he was replaced by Haas
    22:52, 15 Dec 2022
    By Daniel MoxonF1 Writer
    The Mirror

Mick Schumacher insists he can develop into a "top driver" despite being axed from the Formula 1 grid after two seasons with Haas. Schumacher has signed up as Mercedes reserve driver for 2023, but that role is one he hopes will be temporary as he looks to return to the grid as quickly as possible.

And if he can do so, he still backs himself to show his ability. "Many people have already said it but I think it is worth saying again – nobody was fully a complete driver in Formula 1 after two years and there is a lot to learn still”, said the defiant 23-year-old.

"I intend to learn those bits and pieces and I'm sure that, once I put everything together, as I have shown in junior categories, I'm sure that I can be a top driver in Formula 1 as well. For me personally, I know the trend which was there is what matters. You can see that consistent improvement across the course of the season and I have achieved some of the things that I wanted to achieve.”

‘Two points results from 43 races’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...uture-28745692

New Mercedes signing Schumacher a victim of "brutal" F1 - Wolff
    Friday 16 December 2022 06:30
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff believes new recruit Mick Schumacher is a victim of F1 'brutality' after losing his race seat for 2023. Schumacher was confirmed on Thursday [December 15] as Mercedes' new reserve driver for the coming season.

Speaking before confirming Schumacher in his new role, Wolff told the 'Beyond the Grid' podcast: "I really like Mick and I like the family, how they have raised their kids with this unbelievably famous name, and I think he deserves a chance. He won the junior series and that is not easy.”

"Things can go against you in your first years in Formula 1 and he was under pressure to deliver and that doesn't help and Formula 1 is brutal. So maybe, in a way, having a year off as a third driver similar to what Daniel [Ricciardo] does can be good to reassess yourself, bring yourself into a better place and then hopefully, find a seat again."

‘Victim of "brutal" F1’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/97...f1-toto-wolff/

Nico Rosberg predicts game over for Mick Schumacher in F1 without 2024 return.
    To Rosberg’s point, if Schumacher is not on the Formula 1 grid once more in 2024, then the cards really would need to fall perfectly for him to make a comeback. Fortunately, that very well could happen courtesy of Audi.
    Friday 16th December 2022 8:30 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com08:59 Fri, 16 Dec

If Mick Schumacher does not make it back onto the Formula 1 grid for 2024, then Nico Rosberg does not see how he ever will. Speaking on Sport1’s AvD Motor & Sport magazine, Rosberg said: “It was great to have Mick Schumacher on the grid and interesting to follow his performances in the premier class.

“Unfortunately, it was extremely difficult for him because he had the worst car in the field for long stretches. It’s difficult to set highlights there.” Rosberg feels the recently confirmed reserve spot at Mercedes is a good next step in Schumacher’s career, but if it did not lead to a place on the 2024 grid, then he does not see how Schumacher will make that return.

“Reserve driver at Mercedes, that’s a good option to stay in F1 and keep the chances of coming back somewhere in 2024,” said Rosberg. “But Schumacher would also need a good sponsor to support him financially in his comeback to the grid. If nothing comes of it in 2024, then that would probably be the end with Formula 1.”

‘Worst car in the field’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-r...her-f1-return/

First details of Ferrari’s 2023 F1 car revealed.
    In essence, the car body of the 675 (as per the internal design code), will be characterised by different volumes compared to the F1-75, in favour of a lower drag.
    17 December 12:00PM
    Author Paolo Filisetti
    Co-author Luke Murphy
    RacingNews365

With teams committing to their concepts for next season, RacingNews365.com technical analyst Paolo Filisetti explains the Red Bull-inspired evolution going on with Ferrari's 2023 car, and their reasons for optimism.

We have repeated it several times, the Ferrari of 2023 will not be a revolution, at least on a visual level, compared to the F1-75. This does not mean, however, that the aerodynamic concept will replicate its predecessor, quite the opposite.

In practice, if we consider the bodywork which on the F1-75 extended behind the engine cover, narrowing into a semi-circular section (of variable diameter depending on the layout / ambient temperatures), should be replaced by horizontal vents which it will extend all the way over the rear suspension members.

‘675 (as per the internal design code)’;

https://racingnews365.com/first-deta...1-car-revealed

Frederic Vasseur to 'poach F1 staff' for Ferrari as Schumacher backs him for three reasons
    Frederic Vasseur isn't likely to arrive at Ferrari alone after replacing Mattia Binotto as team principal...
    19:47, Thu, Dec 15, 2022
    By Alex Turk

Ralf Schumacher has backed new Ferrari team principal Frederic Vasseur to pinch some 'confidants' from Alfa Romeo. Ferrari announced the 54-year-old as Mattia Binotto's replacement on Tuesday after a dire end to the 2022 campaign, failing to win a single race since Charles Leclerc's Austrian Grand Prix success in July.

An official statement from Ferrari CEO Benedetto Vigna read: "We are delighted to welcome Fred Vasseur to Ferrari as our Team Principal. Throughout his career, he has successfully combined his technical strengths as a trained engineer with a consistent ability to bring out the best in his drivers and teams. This approach and his leadership are what we need to push Ferrari forward with renewed energy."

Schumacher doesn't think he will be alone in switching Alfa Romeo for Ferrari ahead of the 2023 season, tipping him to bring some allies from Switzerland. He told Sky Germany: "Fred will have credit for now, and the question will be who he can bring with him. He will definitely take some confidants from Sauber to Ferrari because there will also be some restructuring there."

'Poach F1 staff';

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...her-Alfa-Romeo

Ferrari given simple instruction for new team chief Fred Vasseur as Ted Kravitz weighs in.
    Vasseur is the man chosen to replace Mattia Binotto as Ferrari team principal from next season and, despite the Italians' recent track record, needs time to get his plan working
    22:23, 15 Dec 2022
    By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Ted Kravitz believes Ferrari have snapped up "a good replacement" for outgoing team principal Mattia Binotto – but also had a piece of advice for the Italian team. "They've got a good replacement for Mattia Binotto," he said of Ferrari's choice. "He's a winner in the lower Formula, not yet in F1, but with his own team in F2 and F3, Vasseur has won races and championships.”

"He speaks Italian, he's been with Alfa Romeo-Sauber of course, a Swiss team with Italian backing, so he speaks the language. And crucially he knows and has a good working relationship with Ferrari's main championship challenger and star, Charles Leclerc.”

"They worked together at Sauber before, so I think it's a good solution, a good appointment for Ferrari with Vasseur coming in for Binotto." But while he clearly feels there is a lot of potential for this move to work, Kravitz stressed that it only has a chance of doing so if the new boss is given the time he needs.

‘Snapped up a good replacement’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...clerc-28745257

Why Vasseur’s hiring recalls Todt’s – and what Ferrari must get right now
    2023 F1 season
    Posted on
    16th December 2022, 7:1516th December 2022, 8:58
    Written by Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Mattia Binotto’s departure from Ferrari was announced by the team as a “resignation”. However it was interpreted by many as being ordained from above within the organisation. Ferrari CEO Benedetto Vigna made clear his unhappiness with the team’s performance shortly before Binotto’s exit became public knowledge. “I am not satisfied with second place because second is first of the losers,” he said.

There was some sympathy for Binotto, who at 53 has spent over half his life at Ferrari including four seasons in the pressure-cooker environment of the top job. More co-operative with the media than his predecessor, Binotto was understandably well-liked. But Ferrari concluded the results were not up to scratch and, despite the team’s championship position improving for the second year in a row in 2022, it was not hard to see why. The new technical regulations introduced last season represented a major opportunity, one which Ferrari failed to capitalise on.

When Todt took over Ferrari in 1993 the team was in a much worse position than Vasseur will find it when he takes over next month. The team hadn’t won a race since 1990, and wouldn’t until Gerhard Berger delivered the first victory under Todt the following season. Still, it took until 1999 for the first constructors’ championship trophy to arrive – 16 years since their last, the team’s longest ever drought, which it is drawing ominously close to exceeding.

‘Vasseur’s hiring recalls Todt’s’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/12/16/...get-right-now/

More ‘restructuring’ to come at Ferrari after Mattia Binotto exit
    Ferrari’s 2022 season could have, and maybe should have been one for the history books, as the Scuderia got off to a flying start in Bahrain, easily boasting the fastest car on the grid and bringing home a one-two finish.
    17 December 2022
    by Jack Devonport
    Formula1News

F1 boss Stefano Domenicali has claimed that although Binotto did a reasonable job during his time as Ferrari team principal, second place is not good enough for the Scuderia.

This means that expectations will be high for Vasseur right off the bat when he joins Ferrari in the new year, with the Frenchman already being warned by his current employers of Ferrari’s sacking culture, with only three team principals managing to last more than three years in the hotseat.

Having not won the constructors’ championship since 2008, the major regulation changes that came with the start of the 2022 season will provide the team with a chance to get back to winning ways, as a new era provides new opportunities.

‘Expectations will be high for Vasseur right off the bat’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/more-rest...-binotto-exit/

Sainz Expecting New Boss Vasseur is ‘Going to Do Well’ as Ferrari Team Principal

December 17, 2022
    By Paul Hensby
    The Checkered Flag

Frédéric Vasseur will do a good job as Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari, according to one of his new drivers, Carlos Sainz Jr. “I’ve heard very good things about him,” Sainz is quoted as saying by Motorsport.com. “I know him personally, he already wanted to sign me to go to Renault. I spoke to him yesterday [Tuesday], I called him and I had my first contact as a Ferrari driver. I know he’s going to do well.”

Sainz knows that anyone coming in following a change of management has ‘extra motivation’ and he believes this will be the case at Ferrari with Vasseur coming in. However, it is important to give him time to make his mark on the team, with big changes unlikely to happen overnight.

“Whenever someone new arrives, he has extra motivation, wanting to do well for himself and for the team,” said the Spaniard. “You have to give him time to see how the team works, know what changes are needed. Ferrari is very big and I know it will take time. It doesn’t happen from one day to the next.”

‘Going to Do Well’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...eam-principal/

Aston Martin announce 2023 F1 car launch.
    Aston Martin became the first team to set a date for the launch of their 2023 Formula 1 car, the AMR23, as it will be revealed to the world on February 13, 2023.
    19 December, 2022
    NewsDesk
    Grand Prix 247

The AMR23 will be the third car produced by the team under the Aston Martin moniker (They used to be Racing Point and Force India before) and will be driven by two-time F1 Champion Fernando Alonso who is new to the team in 2023, and long-serving driver Lance Stroll.

The 2023 Green car will be the second chassis built to the new ground-effect regulations that were introduced to the sport in 2022, and the team would be hoping that it marks an improvement from its predecessor, the AMR22, that was a disappointment with the team giving it a major redesign mid season at the 2022 Spanish Grand Prix.

The team revealed that the new for 2023 car will be revealed at their new Silverstone campus, which will the give the F1 world the first look at their ambitious project of building a new headquarters that was commissioned by team Chairman Lawrence Stroll as he aims to convers the team into Title contenders.

‘Aston Martin became the first team to set a date for the launch’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/12...f1-car-launch/

Stroll urges Aston to keep going 'in the right direction'
    19/12/2022 at 14:50
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Lance Stroll applauded Aston Martin for the strong development work that led to the AMR22's upswing in performance in the second part of 2022, but the Canadian says his team now needs to uphold its momentum into the start of 2023.

Stroll praised his team for the good work, and hopes that Aston will pick up at the start of 2023 where it left off in Abu Dhabi last month. "I think the guys have done a great job at improving the car," he added. "We've definitely... made big steps in the right direction. And it's just about… keeping on going in that direction, really, in the future."

But the 24-year-old who will be paired with a new teammate next season, namely Fernando Alonso who replaces Sebastian Vettel, also took away from 2022 the crucial importance of having clean races to make the most of every opportunity that may come Aston's way.

'In the right direction';

https://f1i.com/news/463046-stroll-u...direction.html

F1 2022 tech review: How Aston Martin saved itself from wrong concept call
    Aston Martin ended the Formula 1 season in a super close fight with Alfa Romeo in the constructors' championship.
    Dec 19, 2022, 11:50 AM
    By: Matt Somerfield
    Co-author: Giorgio Piola
    Motorsport.com

But while it ultimately missed out on beating its rival on countback, even getting in that battle was impressive considering how challenging the start of its year had been. The 2022 campaign proved to be a down-and-up season for the British marque, as it abandoned its launch sidepod concept design early on after being unable to get the performance out of it that it had hoped for.

Aston Martin's first interpretation of the 2022 regulations saw the team adopt a high waisted, completely undercut sidepod solution, with a square inlet and a slew of cooling gills along the bodywork's back. The AMR22 featured completely revamped bodywork from the Spanish Grand Prix onwards, with the team opting to follow in the footsteps of Red Bull and abandon its high-waisted sidepod solution.

The floor was also changed as part of the Spanish Grand Prix update package. And, much like the bodywork changes, was very similar to the design seen on the Red Bull. This included the marriage of the two outer floor fences, which had only been seen on the RB18 beforehand. Aston Martin introduced a new floor in Singapore, once again taking cues from the developments already put in place by Red Bull on the RB18.

‘Saved itself from wrong concept call’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...call/10412790/

Fernando Alonso feeling 'at a very good level' ahead of Aston Martin stint
    Published: 19 Dec 2022, 15:54
    By George Dagless
    Give Me Sport

Fernando Alonso says he is now feeling at a ‘very good level’ after his second year in F1 since his return to the grid in 2021. The Spaniard left the sport at the end of 2018 and did not come back until the start of 2021, with him driving in series like WEC and IndyCar during that period.

He says he is back at a very good level in terms of his driving, too, after admitting he was not sure how well he would get back into the swing of things upon returning at the start of 2021: “Coming back to the sport is never a guarantee that you will be okay and competitive and you still enjoy everything in Formula 1,” the two-time world champion said.

“I think last year I was not maybe 100 percent happy with the performance and with how the season went. This year, I’m much more happy with the car and with the performance itself and much more I think ready for the next challenge.”

‘Feeling at a very good level';

https://www.givemesport.com/88096161...n-martin-stint

Fernando Alonso explains the lengthy gap between Alpine and Red Bull
    Monday 19th December 2022 10:00 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Outgoing Alpine driver Fernando Alonso has claimed the team are lacking “a little bit everywhere” compared to Formula 1 Constructors’ Champions Red Bull.

Alonso, who will replace the retired Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin next season, believes a range of different factors have resulted in the significant performance gap between the best and the rest.

Asked to identify the areas in which Alpine are losing a combined total of one second per lap to Red Bull, Alonso told German publication Auto Motor und Sport: “A little bit everywhere. The second is made up of the sum of many small advantages. More downforce, less drag, more power, better tyre management, pit stops, the execution of race procedures.”

“A little bit everywhere”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...g-f1-red-bull/

Alonso: Returning F1 drivers can’t underestimate the challenge
    19/12/2022, 09:09
    by Fergal Walsh
    Motorsport Week

Fernando Alonso says that drivers attempting a Formula 1 comeback shouldn’t underestimate the challenge it presents. Alonso says that coming back to F1 after a period away from the cars poses a significant challenge to drivers.

“Coming back to the sport is never a guarantee that you will be okay and competitive and you still enjoy everything in Formula 1,” Alonso said. “So I had some concerns, obviously, two years ago, when I did the demo here [in the Renault R25], before the Young Driver test in 2020.”

“I think last year it was not maybe 100 per cent happy with the performance and with how the season went. This year, I’m much more happy with the car and with the performance itself and much more I think ready for the next challenge.”

‘Formula 1 comeback Drivers, shouldn’t underestimate the challenge it presents’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...the-challenge/