Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Mercedes F1 Boss Says He’ll Copy Red Bull To Win, Even Put ‘Little Bull Stickers’ on Cars.
    Mercedes sounds like they’ll do whatever it takes to win this year. Even if that means copying the car next to them.
    PUBLISHED Mar 23, 2023 7:00 PM
    byJerry Perez
    The Drive23:00 Thu, 23 Mar 2023.

"If it's a Red Bull, we will put a little bull somewhere with a sticker, and I will have no shame if it's quick," Wolff said, according to Motorsport.com

"I think at this stage, we have no dogmatism of how the car should look like," added Wolff. "It just needs to be the quickest possible race car. And if that car looks like a Red Bull, or like SpaceX, I don't care, it just needs to be quick."

‘Little Bull Stickers’;

https://www.thedrive.com/news/merced...ickers-on-cars

Lewis Hamilton warned he may not be 'really loved' at Mercedes after Toto Wolff comments.
    Lewis Hamilton is yet to agree to a new contract as tension rise at Mercedes.
    09:06, Thu, Mar 23, 2023
    By Luke Chillingsworth
    Daily and Sunday Express

Lewis Hamilton may be thinking he is not really loved at Mercedes after remarks from Toto Wolff, according to Eddie Jordan. In Saudi Arabia, Wolff claimed Mercedes would be prepared to lose Hamilton if they were unable to give him a title-winning car. He told OLBG: “At the moment, there's no contract signed and Toto Wolff said if he was Hamilton he would consider leaving.

“What would I be thinking if I was Hamilton, am I really loved here? What is actually happening at Mercedes? I'm not in the thick of things like I used to be. I don't know Wolff's point of view on the situation but I believe when he says he wants Hamilton to stay. But the Mercedes is not good enough for Hamilton.”

‘Eddie Jordan thoughts’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...wolff-contract

Toto Wolff provides Lewis Hamilton contract update as he admits he could join rival team
    Lewis Hamilton is yet to extend his contract with Mercedes, which runs out at the end of the season.
    23 March 2023
    by Jack Devonport
    Formula1News

It has been rumoured that should Mercedes continue to fail to provide Hamilton with a title challenging car, the seven-time world champion could make a move elsewhere, something which Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has refused to rule out.

“As a driver, nevertheless, if he wants to win another championship, he needs to make sure that he has the car,” he said on Friday. “And if we cannot demonstrate that we’re able to give him a car in the next couple of years, then he needs to look everywhere. I don’t think he’s doing it at that stage, but I will have no grouch if that happens in a year or two.”

‘Make sure that he has the car’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/toto-wolf...in-rival-team/

Toto Wolff reveals if he will ‘make heads roll’ to appease Lewis Hamilton
    Lewis Hamilton is yet to commit to Mercedes beyond the end of this year, amid the team's continued struggles with the W14.
    24 March 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Wolff has stressed, though, that no engineers will be facing the exit door, with the side not prepared to suddenly “make heads roll”. “An organisation is constantly changing and you can’t stop that either,” Wolff said.
    “Now it’s about how we develop further and discussions are taking place about what the organisation should look like in the future. But it is not as if we are going to make heads roll. It’s better to ask, ‘how can we function as well as possible in the future?’”

‘No engineers will be facing the exit door’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/toto-wolf...ewis-hamilton/

Wolff admits to missing Niki Lauda during difficult times for Mercedes
    24 March 2023
    Formula One - Official Site

Asked about Lauda’s influence, and how much he is missing him as a source of counsel during Mercedes’s current tricky spell, Wolff said: “Niki’s missed all those years because Niki always simplified things to really what mattered.

“I’m having to think what would he have said, and how would he have positioned [things], and the two of us worked well together in that sense that sometimes oversimplification can lead you straight to the results.”

‘Niki always simplified things’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...5RB3CbFNz.html

Wolff admits thinking 'what would Niki have done'?
    24/03/2023 at 12:57
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Toto Wolff continues to miss the presence in the Mercedes garage of the late Niki Lauda whose forthright and direct approach to the team's affairs would have proven useful in these troubled times for the Brackley squad.

"This is a technical sport so maybe my role was to translate it in a way that we actually were able to execute it in the car design. But this is very simple: the stopwatch never lies, and we see on the data where we are missing and that needs to be corrected."

'What would Niki have done';

https://f1i.com/news/469762-wolff-ad...have-done.html

Lewis Hamilton warns Mercedes could go even slower as Toto Wolff turns the screw
    Mercedes have been unable to match Max Verstappen and Red Bull as they continue to lack performance.
    11:32, Fri, Mar 24, 2023
    By Luke Chillingsworth
    Daily and Sunday Express
    Daily and Sunday Express

Lewis Hamilton has warned Mercedes might be slower if they switched their current concept for Red Bull sidepods. The seven-time champion has stressed it was “not as simple” as adopting the Red Bull design and suggested it would “not change a thing” if they did.

"You put the Red Bull sidepods on our car and it won't change a thing, it literally won't change a thing, it might even go slower. It's about aero characteristics, it's how the car is balanced through the corners. There's so many different elements that people of course would not know because they're not aerodynamicists and you can't see it - there's a lot more to it." Mercedes lack pace for a second successive campaign despite getting on top of their porpoising issues.”

‘Mercedes could go even slower’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...des-toto-wolff

Toto Wolff says Mercedes need to ‘double development speed’ to catch Red Bull
    Mercedes have claimed just one victory in the last 25 races, with the Germans already finding themselves 49 points behind Red Bull.
    26 March 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Wolff openly admits that Mercedes are up to “12 months” behind in terms of understanding the new regs due to how long they spent fixing the W13, with the team principal recognising that “we need to be perfect” to catch Red Bull.

“I think the lag is probably between six and 12 months because that’s the time that it took for us to figure out what was actually happening with the car,” Wolff told The Race.

‘Double development speed’

https://formula1news.co.uk/toto-wolf...atch-red-bull/

Ferrari boss suggests Sergio Perez could take 100-point lead over Max Verstappen.
    Ferrari team principal Frederic Vasseur believes Sergio Perez could open up a huge advantage over Max Verstappen, providing Red Bull struggle with reliability problems.
    23:03, 26 Mar 2023
    By Ben Parsons
    The Mirror

Ferrari boss Frederic Vasseur has suggested an unlikely sequence of events that would see Sergio Perez take a whopping lead of 100 points over Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen in the F1 title race.

“Imagine now that Perez wins two more races and Verstappen retires. A gearbox fails and he gets a penalty for the next one,” Vasseur said, as per Formula1news. "After Monaco, Perez is then 100 points ahead of Verstappen. These situations can happen.”

‘100-point lead over Max Verstappen’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...-news-29556164

Max Verstappen ‘surprised’ by Sergio Perez as serious threat emerges
    Martin Brundle believes Sergio Perez has surprised Max Verstappen's side of the garage with his pace.
    by Mitchell Wilks
    25 March 2023
    Formula1News

Sky Sports F1 commentator Martin Brundle has suggested that Sergio Perez could be much closer to Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen over the course of the 2023 season, following a landmark victory at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix which ‘surprised’ team Verstappen.

“His fifth victory, four of which have been on street circuits – but more significantly his first victory when Max was second.” He continued, discussing how Perez’s win has likely settled among the camp in Verstappen’s side of the Red Bull garage.

“Team Verstappen were perhaps surprised that Perez could match their pace,” he claimed, and drew on the fact that Perez had to defend his lead while suffering from a longer brake pedal, shocked that the team didn’t stop the pair from racing at the front in order to protect a one-two finish.

‘Serious threat emerges’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/max-verst...hreat-emerges/

Ferrari boss claims Sergio Perez could ‘easily’ become 100 points ahead of Max Verstappen
    Despite dominating the opening two races of the season, Red Bull has been plagued by reliability concerns that could halt its title charge.
    by Edward Hardy
    26 March 2023
    Formula1News

Despite Red Bull’s strength, there appears to be unhappiness in the team’s garage over the car’s reliability, with mechanical challenges seemingly the only issue that could derail their title hopes.

“The whole feeling in the team, everyone is happy,” Verstappen said. “But personally, I’m not happy. “I’m not here to be second and when it looks like it’s going to just be between two cars, we have to make sure that the two cars are reliable,” he added.

‘Reliability concerns’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-b...ax-verstappen/

Fittipaldi: Saudi Arabia showed Sergio Perez has the speed to fight Max Verstappen
    26 Mar 2023 10:00 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

He (Formula 1 legend Emerson Fittipaldi) told the Dutch edition of Motorsport.com: “I think Checo showed in Jeddah that he has the speed. “At a certain point in the race, when Max was second and Checo was leading, Max tried to close the gap.

“But he did not succeed, as Checo was able to set a good pace against it. He showed himself to be a fast and tough racer at that point. I do think he is a good driver. He is very mature and very experienced. For the fans, it would be great if we could see those two fighting for the Championship.”

‘Sergio Perez has the speed’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/emerso...ax-verstappen/

Max Verstappen and Perez are no longer team-mates - Red Bull have a mess on their hands
    COMMENT: Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez's rivalry could boil over in 2023.
    08:01, Sun, Mar 26, 2023
    By Luke Chillingsworth
    Daily and Sunday Express

Max Verstappen's 2023 title bid may be handed a major dent by his own team-mate as tensions rise at Red Bull. The two stars have clashed before but a tetchy moment in only the second race of the season is an ominous sign for things to come. “This will lead to a fight between the two. We can expect that there will be friction. Red Bull is certainly already aware of this. Perez showed that he is strong and has very good pace in the race.”

“At the same time, Verstappen is someone who doesn’t allow himself to be told and does what he thinks is right. The team can say whatever they want.” The pair appeared to clash moments after the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix as it emerged Verstappen had ignored a team request to secure the fastest lap.

‘Mess on their hands’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...harles-leclerc

‘Still lingers’: Why ‘churlish’ reaction proves Verstappen camp can’t support Perez at Red Bull
    March 27th, 2023 3:17 pm
    Michael Lamonato
    Fox Sports (Australia)

Max Verstappen’s father’s “churlish” response to Sergio Perez’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix victory is evidence the Dutch family isn’t fully supportive of the Mexican’s place at Red Bull Racing, according to Sky Sports F1 commentator David Croft.

“To be fair, he did say well done to Sergio,” he told Fox Sports. “But come on, Jos. Your son’s just finished second, he’s taken the fastest lap, he’s leading the world championship. I’m sure you can afford a smile from time to time.”

“I mentioned it on TV because I thought it was a bit churlish, to be honest, that he wasn’t smiling with the rest of the team, because it is a team sport and everyone works together, and I’m sure there will be times in the season where they might need Sergio’s help a little bit, just as there were times last year when Sergio needed Max’s help — and he might not have got it, to be fair.”

‘Still lingers’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...dbe1f535368c2f

Red Bull ‘certainly aware’ Sergio Perez won’t help Max Verstappen in any way
    Seemingly against team orders, Max Verstappen grabbed the fastest lap point from his teammate Sergio Perez on the last lap of the Saudi Arabian GP.
    by Edward Hardy
    25 March 2023
    Formula1News

Red Bull’s key adviser Helmut Marko has dismissed rumours of growing tension between Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez after the latter lost out on the fastest lap point when the Dutchman scooped it at the last minute.

Verstappen’s move appeared to be in violation of team orders, with Perez stating post-race “They told me I had the fastest lap and to keep the pace, a certain pace, so I thought the communication was the same to Max.”

“We need to review because I got certainly the different information and I just couldn’t push it there,” the Mexican added. Defending Verstappen’s actions, Marko explained that “both of them adhered to the instructions more or less.”

‘Sergio Perez won’t help Max Verstappen’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/red-bull-...en-in-any-way/

Verstappen needs constant problems to give Perez title chance – Albers
    Former Minardi, Midland and Spyker driver Formula 1 driver Christijan Albers is not convinced by Sergio Perez yet
    March 26, 2023
    By Joe Ellis
    Total Motorsport

Christijan Albers has suggested that for Sergio Perez to have any chance of a Formula 1 world title, Max Verstappen needs constant problems.

“He can do it, but only if Max has problems five, six, seven or maybe eight times,” Albers said, as quoted by Formula Passion. “If instead, Perez has no problems, it could be a story like that of [Nico] Rosberg and [Lewis] Hamilton in 2016. At that point, it could be possible.”

‘Verstappen needs constant problems’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...chance-albers/

Alonso claims Aston Martin leap eclipses Brawn GP.
    With a non-regulation change, (Aston Martin’s jump) probably the biggest one.
    Sunday 26 March 2023 16:56
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

Fernando Alonso believes Aston Martin's year-on-year leap is greater than that of Brawn GP in 2009. In its only year of competition, Brawn GP secured both the drivers' and constructors' world titles before Brawn sold up to Mercedes. As fantastical as this tale is, however, Alonso believes that Aston Martin's rise from seventh to podium regulars is more impressive.

“Ferrari when it was 2020, they were very bad, or 2021, then in the following year – last year – they were fighting for the championship," said Alonso. "(They) won the first two or three Grands Prix of the year, so Ferrari made a huge step last year. (There was also) Brawn GP – huge,” said Alonso.

“With a non-regulation change, (Aston Martin’s jump) probably the biggest one. All the others, they were with the regulation change, plus with the cost cap it’s very difficult to do something like that, but we have very talented people in the team – so far it’s been a good start and hopefully only the start.”

‘Leap eclipses Brawn GP’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...rtin-brawn-gp/

Flavio Briatore reveals role in Fernando Alonso switch to Aston Martin
    Flavio Briatore led the Renault team when Fernando Alonso won his two Formula 1 world titles in 2005 and 2006
    March 27, 2023
    By Joe Ellis
    Total Motorsport

Briatore is still a major voice in Alonso‘s career and revealed that he and the Spaniard took the decision mutually to gamble on Aston Martin rather than re-sign with Alpine. “We shared the decision, we took a risk,” Briatore said to Corriere della Sera. “But it was worth it.”

“They were offering us two years of contract while others, with the excuse of age, only one. Then we knew that Lawrence Stroll was putting together a great team. In there we saw a desire for change that wasn’t there for, say, Alpine.”

‘Took a risk’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...-aston-martin/

Aston Martin call for 'focus' after stellar start to season
    27 March 2:30PM
    Author Jake Nichol
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Aston Martin boss Mike Krack says he is not "scared" that the success enjoyed in the 2023 Formula 1 season will not lead to the team getting carried away. "I think Team Silverstone have been in the business for a very, very long time, and the people know how racing is," Krack explained to media including RacingNews365 in Jeddah when asked about how he was keeping expectations in check.”

"So I am not scared that they will lose the ground from under their feet, we have to manage the situation properly. The main thing is you have to keep the focus, it is not automatic, you always have to be on top of your game. And as soon as you are not, someone is in front of you, so it is a mix and you have to manage it."

‘Call for focus';

https://racingnews365.com/krack-not-...g-carried-away

Aston Martin boss delivers hope that Red Bull’s mighty advantage can be reduced
    24 Mar 2023 9:00 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Aston Martin team principal Mike Krack says we should stayed tuned to F1 2023, as he does not expect Red Bull to stay so dominant. Aston Martin team boss Krack remains of the belief that the advantage can be whittled down.

“The season is long. I don’t think Red Bull will keep the gap,” he told DAZN. “We still have two big teams behind us [Mercedes and Ferrari] who will do everything they can to catch them. The spectator has to be patient and keep watching Formula 1.”

Asked if Aston Martin really are the second-fastest team, Krack said with a smile: “It sounds good, yes. We’ve always said we had to confirm it in three races. At the moment, I think we have to be cautious about saying we’re second because Melbourne is coming and then we have to check and confirm it, but clearly we’ve made a step forward in our objective.”

‘Aston Martin really are the second-fastest team’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-...nce-stoppable/

'Quiet, unassuming' Alonso should be four-time F1 champion - former boss
    Saturday 25 March 2023 09:57
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

Former Minardi F1 boss Paul Stoddart believes Fernando Alonso should be a four-time world champion. Stoddart revealed in a conversation with the Beyond the Grid podcast that he knew Alonso was a future world champion after a "masterclass" performance at a wet Formula 3000 race in Belgium in 2000.

"Fernando, in those days and still even when he was with us, was very quiet, very unassuming, just got on and did the job," explained Stoddart. "It took, I suppose, a race like Spa to where I was actually genuinely watching the whole race, not just catching highlights, as you quite often did with Formula 3000 races.”

"I watched that race and what I saw in him that day was this is a guy that's destined to be world champion even before he had even got in an F1 car. I wasn't wrong, except he should have four, not two."

‘Destined to be world champion’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...n-former-boss/

Jordan blames Alonso for failure to win more F1 titles
    27th March 2023, 11:23
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Ex-Formula 1 team owner and current pundit Eddie Jordan has blamed Fernando Alonso for the Spaniard’s current failure to win more than two titles in his career.

“I remember seeing Fernando Alonso pass Michael Schumacher from the outside on a damp track on a really difficult corner in Suzuka, Japan, and I said, ‘oh my god, how can he get away with that!’,” Jordan told OLBG recently.

“Alonso pulled the move off and I thought from there that he was destined for greatness. I actually blame him for not winning four, six or maybe even [becoming] eight-time World Champion, he should have picked his teams better. In his 30s, Alonso went for the money when he could have gone a different route.”

‘Four, six or maybe even [becoming] eight-time World Champion’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...ore-f1-titles/

Alonso 'content' despite criticism of 'special' career
    Monday 27 March 2023 15:00
    Oli Lawrie
    GPFans
    Fernando Alonso has said he's 'content' with his 'special' career, despite feeling that others take pity on him for what they see as his unwise career choices.

The two-time champion has rejected the idea he’s made poor decisions throughout his 20-year career, stating 'the facts say otherwise'. Speaking to Channel 4, the Spaniard reflected on the highs and lows of his time in F1.

"I would say that in the 20 years I've been in F1, I've only had four frustrating years in a McLaren-Honda that wasn't competitive,“ said Alonso. "But in [the other] 16 years, I've fought for podiums and wins, and that's pretty special."

'Content';

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...eer-criticism/

‘Max Verstappen concocted return of driveshaft issue to make himself look good’.
    Former F1 team principal Eddie Jordan believes Max Verstappen was looking to save face by “concocting” a return of the driveshaft issue that ended his qualifying in Saudi Arabia, while trailing team-mate Sergio Perez.
    27 Mar 2023 6:00 AM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

“I think that Max concocted something about a driveshaft so as to make himself look good,” Jordan stated on the Formula For Success podcast, “because I’m absolutely convinced he was told before he went out, if Checo was leading the race, and he’s been on pole position, you have not [got] ability and you have not got permission to pass him.

“That’s just my view. Because if I was running a team, that is exactly what I would have said before they went out. You don’t have to be Einstein to work it out. Max, in my opinion, found a decent excuse, which was the driveshaft.”

“Christian Horner comes out and tells us: ‘No matter what we did, we went back to the base, we went and looked at all of the data and we looked at everything, we couldn’t find anything.’

‘Max concocted something’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...-eddie-jordan/

Max Verstappen accused of "concocting" problem at Red Bull in Sergio Perez fight
    Eddie Jordan suggested that Verstappen may have "concocted" the drive shaft problem which hampered his race weekend in Jeddah, though David Coulthard is not so sure
    09:25, 27 Mar 2023
    By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Max Verstappen cut a bemused figure after his Saudi Arabian Grand Prix weekend was affected by a mechanical problem – but Eddie Jordan is not convinced that the issue was real. Unable to set a lap time in Q2, he was forced to start 15th on the grid. He still breezed through to second place in the race with his extremely fast Red Bull machine, but team-mate Sergio Perez was able to keep him at arm's length to take victory.

" Christian Horner comes out and tells us, 'No matter what we did, we went back to the base, we went and looked at all of the data and we looked at everything, we couldn't find anything'. Guys, come on... There's enough in this to realise that we don't want to be bulls****ed. This was a situation where Max managed the position to hold his face while still taking second place."

But former F1 racer David Coulthard is not convinced Jordan is correct. The Scot replied on the same podcast: "I think Max is so much heart on sleeve, that he doesn't concoct anything – what you see is what you get. A little bit like when he was on the radio saying, 'What's the fastest lap?' And they said, 'Don't think about that'. And he's like, 'Well, I am'.

‘David Coulthard is not convinced Jordan is correct’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...ordan-29557388

Max Verstappen accused of lying about excuse to avoid Sergio Perez battle
    Max Verstappen leads the Drivers' Championship by a point from Sergio Perez after setting the fastest lap in Saudi Arabia.
    27 March 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Former Formula 1 team owner Eddie Jordan believes double World Champion Max Verstappen was not given permission to overtake team-mate Sergio Perez for the lead at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, with the Dutchman having used his driveshaft failure as a “decent excuse”.

Jordan is convinced that Verstappen was ordered to stay behind his team-mate, with the Irishman having revealed that he would’ve instructed the very same if he were in charge. Perez led virtually the entire race, after momentarily losing the lead to Fernando Alonso at the start, only to reclaim first as soon as DRS was activated.

‘Excuse to avoid Sergio Perez battle’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/max-verst...-perez-battle/

Jeremy Clarkson criticises Red Bull over team orders decision broken by Max Verstappen
    Tensions continue to rise at Red Bull as Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez battle for top honours.
    12:01, Mon, Mar 27, 2023
    By Luke Chillingsworth
    Daily and Sunday Express

Jeremy Clarkson has hit out at Red Bull’s decision to use team orders to control Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez in Saudi Arabia. Red Bull engineers told the two stars to keep to a set pace in Jeddah as the race drew to its conclusion.

Writing in The Sun, Clarkson said: “We like to think that when the red lights go out at the beginning of a Formula One race, every single one of the drivers goes round every corner and down every straight as fast as is humanly and mechanically possible.

"That’s what racing is all about, surely? It seems not… “You had the Red Bulls. To stop them from doing any racing, each of the drivers was told to do the same speed as one another.

‘Jeremy Clarkson has hit out’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...n-sergio-perez

Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez ‘not best friends’ but ‘not at war with each other’
    27 Mar 2023 9:00 AM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Sky Sports commentator David Croft has said Red Bull drivers Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez are “not at war with each other”, but equally that they are not the “best of friends” at the moment either.

“I don’t think it’s a driver dispute necessarily, but clearly Sergio was feeling a bit vulnerable whilst out in the lead in Jeddah on Sunday night and he kind of felt that his teammate was allowed to do lap times that were faster than him,” Croft explained on SEN Sportsday in Australia.

“Luckily for Sergio, he had built up quite a big gap by that stage and it didn’t affect the result. He was probably a little bit miffed that Max Verstappen took the fastest lap as well because that fastest lap point kept Max Verstappen in the lead of the championship, Sergio would have led the championship for the first time in his career had he got that fastest lap. So there’s seeds of suspicion. I don’t think that they’re best of friends.”

‘Seeds of suspicion’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...s-not-warring/

Felipe Massa takes aim at Red Bull’s Sergio Perez
    The former Ferrari driver sees Max Verstappen as the big drivers’ championship favourite in F1 2023
    March 27, 2023
    By John Smith
    Total Motorsport

After coming tantalizingly close to the F1 championship in 2008, the former Ferrari and Williams driver doesn’t believe there is any chance of a repeat of his close title charge from any other driver on the grid.

Not least from Verstappen‘s Red Bull teammate, Perez. Although he at least acknowledged there was an outside chance for Lewis Hamilton or Charles Leclerc. “Like Max and Lewis, Charles is an exceptional driver, he is currently the biggest title contender against Red Bull,” Massa told Bild. “Their second driver, Sergio Perez, is too inconsistent.”

It’s unclear just why Massa feels so strongly about the Mexican, although their time in F1 did result in some rather ugly crashes, with the Brazilian seemingly blaming Perez for such incidents.

‘Too inconsistent’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...-sergio-perez/

MPH: Ferrari knows where its car is failing – but can't fix it.
    Ferrari was clearly only the fourth-best car on race day in Jeddah last week. But in qualifying it was second only to the dominant Red Bull (disguised by Charles Leclerc’s grid penalty). The gap between second and fourth fastest car – between Aston Martin, Mercedes and Ferrari – is currently small.
    March 24th 2023
    Author Mark Hughes
    Motor Sport Magazine

From an admittedly small sample of two races, the Aston looks the best of that group on race days, the Ferrari with the edge in qualifying. But perhaps that latter is just a function of the acrobatics conjured by Leclerc over a qualifying lap.

So, where is Ferrari really at? Obviously a long way behind Red Bull, but then so is everyone. There is a lack of front end grip in the car which can be minimised on new tyres over a single lap, but which imposes a heavy toll on race day. There are upgrades on the way, but they won’t be in time for Melbourne next weekend.

On race day in Jeddah, the front tyre usage was the dominant problem, as Carlos Sainz articulated, “We still ‘deg’ more than the Mercs, we still deg more than the Astons, we still lack a bit of race pace. It’s tyre deg, balance, dirty air when following, we just struggle a bit. If we already overheat the tyres in clean air, imagine following. We just eat them alive and we need clean air to produce some kind of decent lap time.

‘Can't fix it.’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

Ferrari drivers voice concern over dirty air return
    14:49 Sat, 25 Mar 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz have raised concerns that the increase in turbulent air emanating from the 2023 cars is contributing to less on-track overtaking. Sainz, who trundled home sixth in Jeddah, has been particularly outspoken in his concerns that an underlying problem from the old generation of cars has resurfaced.

“In dirty air, these cars have got a bit worse compared to last year, probably adding downforce and the new regulations,” the Spaniard said after the race. “They are starting to become a bit like the old cars where the dirty air is becoming a limitation and today it wasn’t easy to pass.”

Leclerc has agreed with the view of Sainz that the topic of dirty air is likely to became a prevalent discussion point again based on the early evidence of F1 races in 2023. “I could have gone a bit faster, but when I was closer than a second to Carlos [Sainz], you felt the turbulence of the car in front of you,” Leclerc added.

‘Voice concern’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...ng-overtaking/

Ferrari drivers reveal FIA’s biggest concern after Saudi Arabian GP
    Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz's comments will alarm the FIA, especially as other drivers have echoed their remarks.
    23 March 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Following Sunday’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz have both revealed that following another car was just as difficult as “in the old cars”, potentially causing panic amongst the FIA.

Whilst last weekend’s race at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit saw more overtakes than ever before at the venue, the number of completed overtakes was largely due to Max Verstappen having recovered from 15th on the grid to finish second.

Other than Verstappen and Leclerc making some ground in the early stages of the race, very few other drivers were able to make multiple overtakes, due to following having been difficult. This was largely the reason why the new aerodynamic regulations were introduced in 2022, with the previous era of the sport having involved very few overtakes.

‘Panic amongst the FIA!?’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-d...di-arabian-gp/

'We're pushing like hell - Red Bull can be caught', says Ferrari F1 boss
    March 22nd 2023
    Author Adam Cooper
    Motor Sport Magazine

Ferrari's dwindling pace during the Saudi Arabian GP saw it finish behind Aston Martin and Mercedes. But F1 team principal Fred Vasseur believes finding the car's sweet spot will bring a "decent step" towards the front

On paper it looks like a disaster, and indeed with the sole-surviving Aston Martin and the two Mercedes both outrunning the Ferraris in the race, it some respects it was. However, there were some positives to be drawn, and not just the better reliability the team demonstrated after the frustrations in Bahrain. Crucially the SF-23 has some speed, at least over one lap.

People were sceptical when new team boss Fred Vasseur suggested in Bahrain that Ferrari’s main issue was set-up rather than anything fundamental, but he has a point. You have to have a pretty good car to have outrun Aston and Mercedes and everyone else in qualifying at two very different venues.

‘Red Bull can be caught'’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

Ferrari admits Leclerc miscommunication 'not a good call'
    22/03/2023 at 11:06
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Frédéric Vasseur says Ferrari will address the miscommunication that took place in Jeddah between Charles Leclerc and his race engineer, the Scuderia boss admitting that "it wasn't a good call".

After the race, Vasseur admitted that it had not been a "good call" by Leclerc's strategist, although the Frenchman minimized the importance of the misstep. "Yes, it was not a good call," Vasseur told the media. "It is like it is.”

"It's not the main issue and I think it would be a mistake from our side to focus on [it]. I don't want to say it's details. It was a miscommunication, and we will have to speak, to fix it. It's not the main issue at all over the weekend."

‘Miscommunication not a good call';

https://f1i.com/news/469648-ferrari-...good-call.html

'Can Ferrari keep Charles Leclerc long enough to win World Championship title?
    'Leclerc will never win a World Championship title at Ferrari'
    28th March 2023, 17:15
    Sky Sports

Matt Gallagher, co-host of P1 with Matt and Tommy, believes Charles Leclerc will never win a World Championship title at Ferrari.

‘Never win’;

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...rts-f1-podcast

Felipe Massa backs George Russell to emerge as main Mercedes title threat over Lewis Hamilton.
    Felipe Massa has said that, while Lewis Hamilton can never be written off in fighting for a title, Mercedes team-mate George Russell has potential to carry the team’s hopes in future.
    27 Mar 2023 4:00 PM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

“You should never make the mistake of writing Lewis off. Alongside Michael [Schumacher] and Ayrton Senna, he is the best driver who has ever raced in Formula 1,” Massa reasoned to Bild.

“In addition to his experience, he has a very good feel for driving. Lewis can become World Champion again – but for that he needs a competitive car. He doesn’t have that at the moment.”

“Charles [Leclerc], like Max and Lewis, is an exceptional driver. He is currently the biggest title challenger for Red Bull. Their second driver, Sergio Pérez, is too inconsistent. Just like Carlos Sainz from Ferrari. George Russell could become a title contender in the coming years.”

‘George Russell has potential’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/felipe...ewis-hamilton/

Rosberg: Russell is the ‘ultimate test’ for Hamilton
    13:45 Mon, 27 Mar 2023.
    by Fergal Walsh
    Motorsport Week

“George is the ultimate test, he is a future World Champion,” Rosberg told Sky F1. “It is difficult for Lewis to stay in front. George had an awesome season last year and that is continuing. Let’s not forget, Lewis is the best of all time, so if someone can beat George it is him.”

“It is a little bit of a weakness that Lewis has that he will mentally go into this down a little bit and lose a little bit of the flow. But he comes back with a bang every single time so, dear George, don’t get too confident there.”

‘Ultimate test’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...-for-hamilton/

F1: Nico Rosberg sends Lewis Hamilton warning over George Russell
    16:37 Tue, 28 Mar 2023.
    By George Dagless
    Give Me Sport

Russell has quickly established himself as one of the top drivers since his Mercedes move. 2016 F1 World Champion Nico Rosberg has warned Lewis Hamilton that George Russell is 'the ultimate test' at Mercedes.

Certainly, Russell has shown he is more than at home at the front of the pack, with him winning his first Grand Prix last season in Brazil and also outscoring his seven-time world champion team-mate in the standings.

"Testament to the weekend George has done. Interesting that there is different set-ups, but free choice for both of them," Rosberg said to Sky Sports after the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, which saw Russell eventually classified fourth and Hamilton in fifth.

‘More than at home at the front of the pack’;

https://www.givemesport.com/f1-nico-...eorge-russell/

Where Hamilton’s currently losing out to Russell
    Mar 28 2023
    By Edd Straw
    The Race

Lewis Hamilton is the better-placed of Mercedes’ Formula 1 drivers in the world championship going into this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix, by two points over George Russell. And the team is fresh from a better-than-expected result in the Saudi Arabian GP, where both cars came home in the top five and beat Ferrari.

So why are the problems with this car affecting Hamilton more than Russell? The qualifying gap was negligible at Sakhir, but it was far more substantial at the Jeddah circuit, where Hamilton was just over three-and-a-half tenths of a second slower. The difference was primarily in the first sector, in which Hamilton struggled with balance and grip.

Hamilton cut a dejected figure after qualifying. Speaking to media including The Race shortly after Q3, he complained of not feeling connected to the car and said that “no matter what I do, no matter what I change, I can’t get confidence back”. So why is this? Well, we know the Mercedes is lacking in downforce and that is particularly manifesting itself in rear-end instability.

‘I can’t get confidence back’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/merce...ut-to-russell/

George Russell labelled ‘worst aspect’ of Lewis Hamilton’s weekend
    Lewis Hamilton started the race on the hard compound tyres in an effort to have a long first stint but his race was hurt by an early safety car around lap 18.
    27 March 2023
    by Edward Hardy
    Formula1News

Peter Windsor, former Williams team manager, blasted the choice of tyres by Mercedes as “asking for trouble” by going against the rest of the grid. “The medium was a really good race tyre in Saudi Arabia and to be on anything other than that at the start of the race was asking for trouble,” Windsor explained on his YouTube channel.

“Toto was on the radio afterwards telling Lewis that it was a good drive, and of course it was a good drive, but it wasn’t the sort of drive that Hamilton will want to be thinking about on his flight home,” he added.

“He doesn’t want to be passed by Max Verstappen as if he’s going backwards. He doesn’t want to be racing Haas and Alpha Tauri. In the end, he got beaten by George [Russell], which is probably the worst aspect of the weekend. Not a good one for Lewis,” Windsor continued.

‘Worst aspect’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/george-ru...ltons-weekend/

George Russell teases first key destination for Mercedes W14 updates
    25 Mar 2023 10:00 AM
    Henry Valantine

George Russell has hinted that the first significant upgrade package on the Mercedes W14 will arrive at Imola in mid-May, as the so-called European season gets underway in earnest.

“Maybe they will come to Imola,” Russell told reporters in Saudi Arabia of where the first significant upgrade package for Mercedes will come, per the Italian edition of Motorsport.com. “Maybe it can be done a little earlier, but I think you are always a little cautious about taking things to a street track.”

“We just have to weigh up the options. With the mistakes we’ve made, we’re not going to rush things unless we’re absolutely 120 per cent sure it’s the right one. And obviously, the longer you wait, the greater the impact you can have because of the slope of development, so we have to weigh up the pros and cons.”

‘Mercedes W14 updates’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george...-w14-upgrades/

Hamilton won’t be Mercedes’ lead driver until F1 car changes
    Mar 22 2023
    By Matt Beer and Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

With Mercedes so far away from race-winning, let alone title-contending, form and Lewis Hamilton not having a 2024 Formula 1 contract yet, ‘Hamilton mood watch’ would be a popular pastime even without him being as – relatively – outspoken about the team’s efforts as he has been lately.

He’s also not even been the team’s top performer. Yes, he led George Russell home in Bahrain, but it’s 2-0 to Russell in the qualifying battle (the Saturday gap nearly four tenths of a second in Saudi Arabia last weekend) and Russell finished ahead on race day in Jeddah too.

There was a degree to which Hamilton said the disparity between him and Russell was just down to set-up choices, and Hamilton certainly did seem to go awry on that front relative to his team-mate.

‘Until F1 car changes’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/hamil...1-car-changes/

Dominant Red Bull aim to break Australian GP drought.
    Red Bull stand poised to shrug off their Australian Grand Prix hoodoo on Sunday and continue their domination of the Formula One world championship as rivals struggle for pace.
    29 MARCH 2023 - 17:15
    IAN RANSOM
    Financial Mail

Red Bull have not won at Albert Park since former driver Sebastian Vettel claimed the 2011 race, but there may be no stopping the constructors champions this year at the lakeside circuit.

“It’s always nice to ... experience Melbourne a little, though from a racing point of view, it is not one that has been too kind to us over the years,” said double defending champion Verstappen, who was forced to retire during last year’s race due to a fuel problem.

Formula One will hope Perez can keep the pressure on Verstappen, with the other teams seemingly well behind the development curve. “The signs we are seeing back at the factory are promising,” said team boss Toto Wolff. “We are not where we want to be, but that won’t stop us from racing hard and giving it everything we’ve got.”

‘Formula One will hope Perez can keep the pressure on’;

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/sp...an-gp-drought/

Ferrari tipped to ‘surprise’ and ‘take a big step forward’ at Australian Grand Prix
    28 Mar 2023 3:00 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Ferrari have been tipped to spring a surprise this weekend when Formula 1 returns to Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix. It has been a disappointing start to the season so far for the Scuderia with Charles Leclerc retiring from P3 in Bahrain before a poorly-timed Safety Car consigned them to P6 and P7 in Saudi Arabia.

Speaking on the F1 Nation podcast, Tom Clarkson said Ferrari could spring a “surprise” at a track they have always done well at. “Yes, it’s hard to look beyond Red Bull,” he said. “But my surprise is actually Ferrari.

“I think they’ve always been pretty hooked up around Melbourne, whatever the regulations, since we first went there in 1996. They have a good setup there and Leclerc was dominant there last year. This year’s car is a continuation of the car that they were using last year, it’s an evolution, and while I’m not saying they’ve got the pace of Red Bull, I think we’re going to see Ferrari take a big step forward.”

‘Tipped to spring a surprise’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...an-grand-prix/

Why four DRS zones will return for Australia GP
    28 March 6:00PM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    RacingNews365

The fourth Drag Reduction System zone at Albert Park will return in 2023, after being removed last year on safety grounds. Situated between Turns 9 and 10 along the lake-side straight, the FIA elected to take action on safety grounds after a number of drivers complained of blocking and impeding.

This resulted in several moments where those on a fast lap encountered other drivers going slowly trying to generate a gap, along the narrow piece of track that places high aerodynamic demands on the cars.

Some drivers were more vocal than others about the change, given the aerodynamic benefits it would bring for cars that suffered the least from porpoising.

‘Four DRS zones will return’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-four-d...r-australia-gp

Croft expects Red Bull to dominate Australian GP
    Wednesday 29th March, 2023 - 3:00pm
    By Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

This weekend’s Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix looks set to be another Red Bull cakewalk according to David Croft. The Sky Sports F1 commentator predicts the Milton Keynes duo of Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez will continue the dominance they’ve shown in the opening two rounds of 2023.

“I’ve got a theory this weekend,” Croft told Speedcafe. “It might be a bit far, but we’re going to get Verstappen, Perez, and [Fernando] Alonso in some form on the podium at the end. And I don’t know where I’m thinking that one from to be honest!”

‘Continue the dominance’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/03/29...australian-gp/

The two potential headaches hanging over Red Bull in Australia
    29 Mar 2023 9:00 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Beneath the superficiality of the results and the pretty picture of the points table, however, this is a team trying to contain a growing number of issues.

After dominating to convert pole position into victory in Bahrain, Max Verstappen’s Saudi Arabian GP weekend was going almost too well before his driveshaft went bang during qualifying and left him stranded in 15th on the grid.

With the World Champion airing further mechanical concerns during the race – and amid whispers that Red Bull’s commanding display in Bahrain was way more nervy than it looked on the car health front – the team’s reliability record is at risk of becoming front and centre again.

‘Headaches’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/austra...view-red-bull/

Adrian Newey contract 'up for renewal' as Damon Hill speculates on future
    Wednesday 29 March 2023 07:57
    Graham Shaw
    GPFans

Damon Hill : "His success rate is unbelievable, every team he's been to virtually he's won a constructors' championship, drivers' titles, I've lost count how many. So he's a key man, and what he has to offer any team is invaluable."

It was at this point Hill pondered Newey's mindset, with a the focus on one high-profile moment which already caught his eye this season. "I can't help ignoring this thing he [Newey] did in Bahrain, where he stood in front of the Mercedes on the grid, with his clipboard, and stood there for a long time looking at their front wings.

"Anybody who knows Adrian will know 'wait a minute, he's already got the most dominant car in F1, why's he looking at the Mercedes front wings?' Was he really looking at the front wings? Or was he just standing in front of a Mercedes saying 'I'm interested'. Is that what he was really saying?"

‘Invaluable’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...l-mercedes-f1/

Russell expecting Aston Martin to be ‘really strong’ at Australian GP as he counters recent Hamilton set-up comments.
    When asked about Hamilton’s comments in Melbourne, Russell was keen to note the work he put in ahead of and during the event, stressing that there was no luck in the outcome.
    30 March 2023
    Formula One - Official Site.

George Russell has tipped Aston Martin to be an even stronger force at the Australian Grand Prix, pointing to the impressive cornering ability the AMR23 has displayed over the first two rounds of the season. Asked about his and Mercedes’s potential at this weekend’s event in Melbourne, Russell commented: “If we manage to get another P4, or fight for the podium, that will probably be exceeding the potential of the car.”

Later on in Thursday’s driver press conference, the topic turned to the intra-team dynamic at Mercedes, with Russell asked for his thoughts on comments Lewis Hamilton made after the last race at Jeddah. “The strategy didn’t really work out for me,” Hamilton told Sky Sports F1 after following Russell home in Saudi Arabia. “The set-up was a bit off – I think if I had the set-up that George had, I would have been in a better position.”

‘Work he (George Russell) put in ahead of and during the event, stressing that there was no luck in the outcome’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...OaPedPdw9.html

Mercedes sees 'promising' signs ahead of Australia F1 GP
    Thursday, 30 Mar 2023 9:17 AM MYT
    Malay Mail

MELBOURNE, March 30 ― A cautiously optimistic Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said the team has made “promising” progress since the first two Grand Prix of the season, with another solid points haul on his wish list for Melbourne this weekend.

On the high-speed, power-friendly Jeddah track a fortnight ago, there were distinct signs of life as Mercedes left Ferrari floundering, with George Russell finishing fourth and Lewis Hamilton fifth.

It was a clear improvement from the season-opening race in Bahrain, where they offered little competition to the Ferrari, Aston Martin or victorious Red Bull teams. While they remain well adrift of the dominant Red Bull team, Wolff said their W14 car was improving.

'Promising signs’;

https://www.malaymail.com/news/sport...ia-f1-gp/62243

Alonso says Aston Martin arrive in Australia ‘extremely happy’ as Stroll gives update on wrist fractures
    30 March 2023

Fernando Alonso picked up his 100th Formula 1 podium finish last time out and as a result, he says he and Aston Martin are brimming with confidence heading into this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix.

“At the moment, we are extremely happy with the performance of the car obviously. We were better than expected, especially in Jeddah – I think it was a nice surprise, so we arrive here with a good level of confidence,” he said.

“But… after a few events, from now on, I think the cars will change a lot in a few areas, and a few developments, so let’s see if we can keep this pace.”

‘Extremely happy’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...kk4NT3eQq.html

Fernando Alonso hilariously mocks himself ahead of 2023 Australian GP
    Ahead of the 2023 Australian Grand Prix, Fernando Alonso has shown that he is having fun on and off the track since switching to Aston Martin.
    30 March 2023
    by Edward Hardy
    Formula1News

Ahead of the 2023 Australian Grand Prix, Alonso posted a hilarious upside-photo of himself as Formula 1 travels down-under. Even the Formula One social media team got in on the action with their own video of the two-time world champion.

“Alonso is single-handedly saving this F1 season,” one fan said, while another added “This man is a treasure. We don’t deserve him.” “He’s just overjoyed to actually be driving a decent car for the first time since the Bush Administration,” a Reddit user commented.

‘EL PLAN!’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/fernando-...australian-gp/

Verstappen admits he’s been ‘struggling’ to recover from illness as he seeks first win in Australia
    30 March 2023

As he looks to take his first Grand Prix victory in Australia, Max Verstappen has revealed he's still feeling the effects of an illness that he contracted before the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix.

Looking ahead to three-week break between Australia and Azerbaijan, Verstappen said: "I was not looking forward to [the break] but then I got really ill and have just been struggling a bit since that time, especially last race out, so I think for me now these three weeks are just about getting back to full fitness, getting a full programme in…

‘Struggling’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...oOQoswmRx.html

Race guide for the Australian Grand Prix
    30th March 2023, 07:04
    By Balazs Szabo
    F1 Technical.

The Australian GP has a long, wealthy history in Formula One. The country joined the sport in 1985 when the race was held at the Adelaide Street Circuit, in South Australia. The Adelaide race used to be the last round of the championship and hosted numerous racing memorable race, including title-decider races. The Grand Prix moved to Melbourne in 1996 and became the opening race of the championships, although this spot has been taken by Bahrain on several times.

The Grand Prix is the oldest surviving motor racing competition in Australia which has been contested 79 times since it was first run at Philip Island in 1928. Prior to the inclusion in the F1 Championship, the grand prix was held at different venues like Bathurst, Lobethal, Southport, Longford, Narrogin, Lakeside, Sandown, etc.

The track has a length of 5.278km, resulting in a 58-lap-long Grand Prix. The circuit sports 14 corners, many of them are named after previous great drivers. The race course has a stop-and-go nature due to heavy acceleration and braking zones. The circuit uses everyday sections of road that circle Albert Park Lake, a small man-altered lake (originally a large lagoon formed as part of the ancient Yarra River course) just south of the Central Business District of Melbourne. The road sections that are used were rebuilt prior to the inaugural event in 1996 to ensure consistency and smoothness.

‘Race guide’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/23969

Red Bull tension watch as Alonso targets magic number three - what to expect at the Australian GP.
    Red Bull trouble to ease? Aston Martin and Alonso aim for magic number three. Mercedes positive but results will have to wait. McLaren to bounce back. End to race start penalties.
    Thursday 30 March 2023 14:05
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

F1 returns to Australia with Red Bull in the ascendency following two dominant performances in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Max Verstappen heads team-mate Sergio Perez by a single point after the Mexican took honours at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit two weeks ago.

With rivals racing to try and close the gap to the RB19, GPFans takes a look at what to expect from the Australian Grand Prix.

‘Tension watch’;

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/F1.../Australian+GP

Perez now feels like a title contender, not an afterthought
    Mar 30 2023
    By Mark Hughes
    The Race

Sergio Perez made very clear in Melbourne on the eve of the 2023 Formula 1 season’s third grand prix that he considers himself to be in a world title fight with Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen and that he has full confidence in Red Bull to provide them with equal opportunities in that fight, now he has established his place in the team.

“I fully believe,” he said. “Certainly, when I first came to the team things were very different. Basically, they were just going racing with two cars because they had to, you know. I can say now that I really feel part of the team, really feel I have my place and am well respected.”

“That’s something good to have as a driver and I really believe I have the full support of the team as much as Max does and that I will have every single opportunity to win the championship as much as Max does.”

‘A title contender, not an afterthought’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/perez...-afterthought/

Hamilton hoping the gap to Red Bull “isn’t a second” in Melbourne
    2023 Australian Grand Prix
    Posted on 30th March 2023, 7:4530th March 2023, 7:43
    Written by Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Lewis Hamilton is hoping Mercedes can get within a second of Red Bull this weekend after the reigning world champions dominated the first two races of 2023. “If you look at the last race, I think it was a decent result given the distance and the pace disadvantage we had in qualifying,” he told Sky. “Obviously George did a fantastic job all weekend, put the car exactly where it needed to be. I struggled a little bit with the balance that I had.”

“We’ve got a great group of people that are working really hard back at the factory that are trying to fix the issues that we have. It’s not something that’s going to happen in one race, it’s going to take a few races, hopefully as short as possible to get there.”

“But this weekend, I think I’m just hoping for some rain, if I’m really honest, because I would make it a little bit more exciting for us from my point of view. I’m just hoping the gap isn’t a second and I hope that we can just hit the ground running with the set-up.”

‘Hoping’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/03/30/...-in-melbourne/

Lewis Hamilton refusing to speak to Michael Masi as axed F1 race director returns
    Michael Masi has not attended a Grand Prix since the controversial 2021 season finale
    09:06, Thu, Mar 30, 2023
    By Charlie Gordon
    Daily and Sunday Express

Lewis Hamilton will pass up the opportunity to receive an explanation from Michael Masi for his role in the infamous 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. The Aussie has been spotted in Melbourne ahead of attending his first race since being axed as FIA race director.

Eyebrows were therefore raised when Masi, 44, was spotted in Melbourne this week in the lead-up to the Australian Grand Prix. On his attendance, Hamilton was asked by reporters whether he would actively look to seek out an explanation for the 2021 controversy.

"I don’t [plan to]," he said. "I am just focussed on my future. I am focussed on trying to get back to winning. There is nothing to say."

‘Pass up the opportunity’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...l-masi-f1-news

Verstappen says Alonso deserves his long-awaited 33rd win – and more
    2023 Australian Grand Prix
    Posted on 30th March 2023, 7:2030th March 2023, 7:07
    Written by Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

“I think Fernando should have won anyway already a lot more races than what he has done,” said Verstappen. “I think he deserves a lot more. I would be quite happy to see him win number 33. But I also, in a way, also I would like to see him win more. So we’ll see in the coming races.”

Several Spanish sportspeople have shown their support for Alonso’s pursuit of his 33rd win on social media. “It’s crazy to see how Spain is now so enthusiastic again for Formula 1 and for everything that is happening,” said the Aston Martin driver. “So this is very nice to see and hopefully I think they did enjoy these first two podiums the whole country.”

“This 33, I don’t know, all these things that are happening now in social media, it was ‘El Plan’ three years ago and then the mission and now ’33’ so there are a lot of 33s,” he added. “All the football clubs or footballers or tennis or whatever they are always doing something with 33. So hopefully we can reach that number in terms of wins and then we go for 34.”

‘El Plan’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/03/30/...-win-and-more/

'Different atmosphere, for sure!' – Stroll looks forward to Australian GP
    30 Mar 2023
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Aston Martin's Lance Stroll comments on the different and "exciting" prospect the team is facing ahead of the Australian Grand Prix in comparison to last year.

‘Exciting prospect’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...381406307.html

Verstappen dominates amid GPS chaos in Australian GP first practice.
    Max Verstappen has laid down an early marker at the Australian Grand Prix.
    Friday 31 March 2023 04:32
    Sam Hall
    GPFans

The Dutchman set the fastest time in the opening session of the Albert Park weekend with an effort of one-minute 18.790secs. Despite his pace, the Red Bull driver was not faultless as he spun his RB19 with six minutes remaining in the session.

Much to the dissatisfaction of the teams, the opening hour of running was interrupted by a pair of red flags - the first for a GPS problem that caused a number of near-miss moments between drivers on hot laps and those on slower efforts.

The second instance came after Williams' rookie Logan Sargeant stopped at the side of the track as his car shut down on the run to turn 11. With four minutes remaining on the clock, the session did not resume after this interruption.

‘Verstappen quickest’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...irst-practice/

(FP1) First Practice Results – 2023 Australian Grand Prix
    31st March 2023
    by Emer Hedderman
    FormulaSpy

Results (Classification):
    1. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing -1:18.790
    2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.433
    3. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.503
    4. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.527
    5. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.588
    6. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.715
    7. Lando Norris McLaren +0.746
    8. Pierre Gasly Alpine +0.856
    9. George Russell Mercedes +0.909
    10. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.976

‘Australian Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from the first free practice ahead of this weekend’s 2023 F1 World Championship race in Melbourne’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/fp1-first-...and-prix-81764

AS IT HAPPENED: Follow all the action from first practice for the Australian Grand Prix
    31 March 2023
    Becky Hart.
    Special Contributor.

‘AS IT HAPPENED’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...VgyoFhEvS.html

Everything that happened in Australian GP FP1
    31st March 2023, 03:43
    By Josh Suttill
    The Race

Max Verstappen led Lewis Hamilton in a fraught opening practice session at Formula 1’s Australian Grand Prix.

Key moments:
    > Verstappen fastest, spins late on
    > Hamilton beats Perez to P2 with late soft run
    > GPS issues red flag FP1 for 10 minutes
    > Late Sargeant stoppage ends FP1 early

Championship leader Verstappen topped FP1 on the soft tyres with a 1m18.790s – just under a second adrift of Charles Leclerc’s 2022 pole position time at Albert Park. And he survived a big moment with six minutes of the session remaining when he spun his RB19 on the kerbs at the Turn 4 left-hander.

‘Everything that happened’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/every...ralian-gp-fp1/

Verstappen spins but goes quickest as GPS fault causes red flag
    2023 Australian Grand Prix first practice
    Posted on 31st March 2023, 3:48
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Championship leader Max Verstappen was quickest in a frantic and incident filled first practice session for the Australian Grand Prix despite a late spin.

The Red Bull driver went quickest by four tenths of a second over Lewis Hamilton and the second Red Bull off Sergio Perez. Verstappen’s final flying lap saw him spin at the exit of turn four, briefly facing backwards off the track, but he was able to continue.

Sunny skies over Melbourne greeted drivers as they ventured out around Albert Park for the first time in the weekend, with relatively mild temperatures of 18C ambient and track temperature at 31C. With the threat of rain for the day’s second practice session, drivers were quick to head out and make the most of the opening hour.

‘Verstappen spins but goes quickest’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/03/31/...uses-red-flag/

FP1: The Melbourne weekend begins with a Red Bull P1, and an unusual red flag situation
    31 Mar 2023 3:30 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen topped the timesheets in FP1 for the Australian Grand Prix, a session in which several drivers complained about the Albert Park circuit’s bumps.

Unlike in most practice sessions all 20 drivers did at least one lap within the first five minutes with Max Verstappen, on the soft tyres, up into second place behind his team-mate. This weekend Pirelli’s softs are the C4, one step harder than the softs that were brought to Melbourne last year.

Rookie driver Logan Sargeant wasn’t having the best of times, reporting that it’s so bumpy he “can’t see”. It was the natural bumps of the street circuit that were bothering him, not porpoising. Hamilton also reported “I’ve got bouncing.”

‘Unusual red flag situation’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/austra...23-fp1-report/

Australian GP: Verstappen quickest in chaotic Practice 1
    31 March 2023

Inside Racing

Max Verstappen set the pace in an action-packed Practice 1 at the Australian Grand Prix. The opening half an hour was somewhat serene at Albert Park, during which the Red Bull driver posted a 1m18.790s to lead by four-tenths of a second.

But as drivers headed out on their second set of tyres, mistakes and traffic galore ensued, the latter as a result of GPS problems that required a red flag to fix. Shortly beforehand, Yuki Tsunoda narrowly avoided the barriers though did catch some air with a high-speed spin through the gravel at Turn 1.

‘Chaotic Practice 1’;

https://www.insideracing.com/formula...tic-practice-1