Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Sergio Perez: 'I will try everything I can' to win 2023 title.
    Sergio Perez reflects on an 'important day' for Red Bull and sets out his goals for 2023.
    04 Feb 2023
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘Everything I can'

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...412501381.html

Perez in Verstappen demand over Red Bull-Brazil fallout
    Saturday 4 February 2023 05:43
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

Sergio Perez has insisted "it is not all about me and Max" as last year's difficulties with Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen linger. Asked if talks had been held over the winter to address the subject, Perez replied: "It is important to work as a team.”

"In that regard, it is very clear. We want to maximise the team efforts. It is not all about Max and myself, it is about the team. We have so many people back at the factory giving everything for us so we have to respond in that regard."

Perez lost confidence with his set up midway through the campaign last year, taking him firmly out of championship contention as Verstappen stormed clear. "I have done a lot of work over the winter to make sure we understood those [issues]," said Perez. "We took some directions with the set-up that were perhaps the wrong ones and towards the end of the year, we understood them."

‘It is about the team’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...demand-brazil/

Martin Brundle responds to Christian Horner's 'strongest ever driver line up' comments
    22:44 Fri, 03 Feb 2024.
    Sky Sports

Sky F1's Martin Brundle gives his take on Christian Horner's comments that Sergio Perez and Max Verstappen are Red Bull's strongest ever line up in Formula One.

'Strongest ever driver line up';

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...ne-up-comments

Verstappen “hopes I can be happy” after watching new Drive to Survive season
    RaceFans Round-up
    Posted on 4th February 2023, 0:013rd February 2023, 22:17
    Written by Will Wood

In the round-up: Max Verstappen says that he “hopes I can be happy” after agreeing to collaborate with the producers of Drive to Survive ahead of the new season of the Netflix documentary series. Asked by RaceFans if he’d been given any assurances by the show’s producers about how he would be portrayed, Verstappen said he “hopes I can be happy” after he watches it back.

“I spoke with them, of course, before I was going to give an interview with them,” he said. “I hope they understood my message and I also know, especially being a world champion, that you have to be part of something like that.”

“I think I gave them like 30 minutes, or an hour of an interview. I hope they’re going to use it well – I don’t know when I’m going to watch it. But I hope they’re happy and I hope I can be happy after watching it. And I know that it’s important to Formula 1 as well for growing the sport in general.”

‘I hope they understood my message’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/04/...nd-up-04-02-5/

Red Bull is savaged by fans after underwhelming 2023 F1 car launch where host gets Aussie driver's name HORRIBLY wrong: 'Did she just introduce Daniel Retardo?'
    • Aussie F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo has returned to Red Bull for the 2023 season
    • He is a reserve driver at the team behind Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez
    • Host of season launch got his name wrong in awkward gaffe on live television
    Published: 22:21, 3 February 2023
    By Josh Alston For Daily Mail Australia

However it was the moment when co-host Giselle Zarur mis-pronounced new signing Daniel Ricciardo on a live broadcast on Sky Sports that the event really sunk to new lows.

'Welcome one of the friendliest drivers in the F1 grid, Daniel Retardo, to Oracle Reb Bull Racing,' she said as the Aussie driver stood there awkwardly.

‘Sky Sports that the event really sunk to new lows.’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ble-wrong.html

Formula 1: Red Bull make history ahead of title defense.
    Reigning Formula 1 world champions Oracle Red Bull Racing launched their 2023 season in the United States, becoming the first team to do so.
    4th Feb 2023, 12:11
    by Asher Fair
    Beyond the Flag (Weblog)

For the first time since 2014, Oracle Racing Bull Racing are set to enter a Formula 1 season as reigning world constructor champions, having won the title for the first time in nine years last year to end Mercedes’ reign of dominance.

The Milton Keynes-based team launched their 2023 challenger, the RB19, in New York City on Friday morning, becoming the first team ever to launch their season in the United States amid the sport’s meteoric rise in the country.

The launch was a broadcast to more than 30 countries across the globe and streamed by thousands of fans worldwide.

‘Red Bull make history’;

https://beyondtheflag.com/2023/02/04...title-defense/

'Chinese wall' between Honda and Red Bull after Ford deal
    04 February 12:20PM
    RacingNews365

"We have an agreement and great relationship with Honda until the end of 2025," Horner told select media, including RacingNews365.com, at the New York launch event. "There's no crossover of intellectual property, all the Honda engines are produced in Japan and everything on the RB Powertrains side is very much focused on 2026.

"So there is a clear Chinese wall between the two activities, but we're obviously going to be working with Honda over the next few years to achieve the best results that we can. "They are fully committed, so it is very straightforward, and the relationship with Honda conclude at the end of 2025.

"We have a homologated engine, so it's effectively frozen. "Honda supply that engine, they own all of the IP, so we don't see inside the engine or anything like that. We will be doing our best with Honda to try and defend and achieve further race wins and championships."

'Chinese wall';

https://racingnews365.com/chinese-wa...fter-ford-deal

Max Verstappen corrects Helmut Marko’s ‘absurd’ claim about installing simulator on £12million private jet
    Saturday 4th February 2023 12:30 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen said Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko must have misunderstood when saying that a simulator was installed on his private jet.

There are plenty of air miles covered when it comes to being a part of Formula 1, so when Marko revealed on Sport1 that Verstappen had installed a simulator on his private jet, it sounded like a very productive, and outlandish, idea.

However, Verstappen said that Marko got a little mixed-up when he said plane, Verstappen saying the idea of having a sim on his private jet is “absurd”. Instead, Verstappen said the plan is for a new sim to be installed at his motorhome for him to use at the European races.

‘New sim to be installed at his motorhome’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...marko-jet-sim/

Horner explains why Red Bull signed with Ford
    Red Bull's Christian Horner has explained why the team decided on Ford as their next engine supplier
    February 4, 2023
    By Ed Spencer

Ford has a rich history of racing in F1, producing the innovative DFV engine and helping power Benetton’s Michael Schumacher to his first title in 1994, which would be Ford’s last.

Speaking at the launch of the RB19 in New York City to Total-Motorsport.com and selected media outlets, Horner explained what the partnership with Ford will look like and what both parties are set to gain. “It’s a very different relationship to what we discussed with Porsche; this is a purely commercial and technical deal,” said Horner.

“There’s no exchange of any shares or participation within the business. It’s a straightforward agreement where we can share access to r&d, particularly on the EV side. On the commercial side, obviously, with Ford being so prevalent in the US, it’s, as a commercial partner, it enables us to help achieve even more penetration in that market.”

‘Straightforward Agreement’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/chr...-ford-f1-2026/

Red Bull budget cap penalty won’t be ‘big limiting factor’ in title fight – Verstappen
    2023 F1 season
    Posted on 4th February 2023, 16:00
    Written by Will Wood and Claire Cottingham

Max Verstappen does not believe Red Bull’s aerodynamic testing penalty for breaching the 2021 budget cap will determine whether they can defend their world championships or not. “Yes, of course I’ve thought about it, but I think we have a lot of very competent people in our factory,” Verstappen told media including RaceFans. “And of course it makes things a little bit harder.

“But I also look at it like this, I prefer to be in the position we are in than always finishing second or third in the championship because that’s way more depressing. So we have a lot of good people and I’m sure we have to be a little bit more precise of what we are doing in the wind tunnel, but I don’t expect it to be a big limiting factor in if we’re going to win the title or not.”

‘Won’t be big limiting factor’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/04/...ht-verstappen/

Is this the year Williams break free from the back of the grid?
    Fortunately for Vowles, Williams is not a team caught in a death spiral where he must desperately grasp the controls in a bid to right the ship.
    2023 F1 team preview
    Posted on 5th February 2023, 13:47
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

What kind of a Formula 1 team is Williams Racing? For the last two-and-a-half years, Williams Grand Prix Engineering, formerly owned by its founder family, has been in a state of transition. Its new owners, American investment firm Dorilton, have invested considerable time, effort and funds to rebuild neo-Williams in their own image.

After just two seasons, team principal Jost Capito has been relieved of his position, alongside the team’s technical director Francois Xavier-Demaison. Taking Capito’s place in leading Williams is James Vowles, a key figure of Mercedes’ strategy team whose history at the Brackley factory dates back long before the German manufacturer first claimed it as their home.

Vowles may not have held such a senior role in Formula 1 before, but he has the ringing endorsement of his former team principal Toto Wolff, who could not have been more glowing in his assessment of Vowles’ potential to bring a culture of success back to Williams again. “James has been around for a long time, he’s seen it all – the intelligent things and the less intelligent things,” Wolff said when Vowles’ move was first announced. “I have no doubt that Williams choosing James is a fantastic move for them.”

‘Break free from the back’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/05/...k-of-the-grid/

The ‘highest priority’ at the heart of Williams’s problems
    5th Feb 2023, 12:46
    By Edd Straw
    The Race

Williams’s latest new Formula 1 era starts on Monday when it holds its 2023 season and livery launch. It’s a teaser of sorts, as new team principal James Vowles doesn’t start work for a further fortnight and the 2023 car won’t be seen just yet either.

But in the wake of the departures of Jost Capito and FX Demaison, and given Williams’s return to the bottom of the championship order in 2022, Monday’s event will still feel like the first look at the shape the team might now take. Vowles has set instilling the correct culture in Williams as his “highest priority” in his new role.

While culture can be difficult to pin down, even tougher to implement successfully and easiest to define by its failures than its successes, it is at the heart of what needs to change at Williams if it is to escape perennial Formula 1 backmarker status.

‘Highest priority’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-h...amss-problems/

Capito blames 'exhaustion' for Williams F1 departure
    04/02/2023 at 14:27
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Former Williams F1 team principal Jost Capito has said that 'exhaustion' led to his decision to leave his role at the end of the 2022 season. In an interview this week with AutoBild, Capito insisted that his decision to step down had been his and his alone, and for personal reasons.

He told the German publication that he had only intended to spend a relatively short time at Williams, and that the packed race schedule had only made him more convinced that the role needed someone younger.

“From the outside of course you don’t have the insight," he commented. "But I originally said that I would do this for two years, possibly a third. But it takes longer than two or three years to bring the team back to the top," he acknowledged. "And in the meantime there are so many races [on the calendar] that it’s relatively exhausting.”

'Exhaustion blamed’;

https://f1i.com/news/465127-capito-b...departure.html

Jost Capito delivers his verdict on his Williams replacement James Vowles
    Sunday 5th February 2023 11:00 AM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Jost Capito has praised new Williams team principal James Vowles and said he has given his congratulations, after taking over his role at the team.

“Yes, I’ve already worked closely with James, also with Mercedes and their drivers,” Capito told Auto Bild in Germany.

“He’s incredibly competent, I like him a lot and he’s also a great person. I congratulated him accordingly, of course.”

‘Delivers his verdict’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/jost-c...liams-verdict/

Alex Albon opens up on F1 career almost ending
    Alex Albon competed in the DTM in 2021, after being dropped by Red Bull at the end of 2020 following an 18-month stint with the Austrians.
    26 January 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Alex Albon has admitted that signing his long-term contract with Williams was “one of the best feelings”, with the Thai driver’s Formula 1 career having looked to be potentially over after he was dropped by Red Bull at the end of 2020.

Albon’s Formula 1 career has been an “up-and-down rollercoaster”, with the Thai driver having initially stormed onto the scene in 2019 with AlphaTauri.

The Thai driver performed strongly in his rookie season, with the 26-year-old having claimed five points finishes from his first 12 races with the team. His performances were so good, in fact, that he was promoted mid-season to Red Bull to replace Pierre Gasly, who returned to the sister team.

“Up-and-down rollercoaster”;

https://formula1news.co.uk/alex-albo...almost-ending/

FIA VS F1: HOW FAR WILL THIS DANGEROUS GAME GO?
    Fallout between governing body and commercial rights holder risks placing F1 in a precarious position.
    18:08 Sun, 05 Feb 2023.
    James Phillips
    FormulaNerds

The unpleasant saga of F1 threatening to take legal action against the FIA has been truly tragic to watch unfold. The recent culmination of President ben Sulayem of the FIA and F1’s gamesmanship indicates a plague of spite festering beneath the surface on both sides. To fully understand the reasons why the powers that be are constantly attempting to gain the upper hand over the other, it is important to understand what is at stake. The answer is, of course, simple, money and power. But there is more to this than meets the eye.

F1 has seen unprecedented growth since the introduction of Drive to Survive in 2019. A legion of new fans has entered the sport bringing more revenue. Manufacturer interest in the sport continues to grow which is another potential avenue to exploit F1’s popularity. The sport has rarely had things so good. Even the events of Abu Dhabi 2021 generated headlines and income for the sport despite the infamy. All news is good news after all.

With F1 now a goldmine, who is the power that looks after the sport? This is where F1 has done the traditional act of shooting itself in the foot. The problem is, the FIA and F1 are two very different organisations, with set principles. Both at present cannot perform the same role, and this is leading to friction and very public disagreements.

‘Money and power’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/feature.../?nowprocket=1

F1 warned against causing race calendar backlash
    Sunday 5 February 2023 13:54
    Paul Macdonald
    GPFans

Formula 1 has been warned against adding too many races to the calendar in future, amid fears of burnout from fans, teams and drivers alike. The 2023 season will feature 23 races, but Liberty Media have expressed a desire to extend this further, with a 25-race season mooted in the near future.

It would be no surprise given Liberty's desire to maximise its race weekends, as well as showcase the sport in an increasing manner in the US, where it will race three times this year.

But head of the Grand Prix Drivers Association, Alex Wurz, believes that F1 must be careful to ensure that all parties - both inside and outside of the paddock - are invested in such a move before it is considered.

‘Race calendar backlash warning’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...race-calendar/

F1 calendar meltdown warning as Montoya lays in on Ferrari - GPFans F1 Recap
    Sunday 5 February 2023.
    Stuart Hodge
    GPFans

Formula 1 has been warned against adding too many races to the calendar in future, amid fears of burnout from fans, teams and drivers alike.

The 2023 season will feature 23 races, but Liberty Media have expressed a desire to extend this further, with a 25-race season mooted. Head of the Grand Prix Drivers Association, Alex Wurz, though, believes that F1 must tread carefully

‘F1 calendar meltdown’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...fans-f1-recap/

F1 send furious letter to FIA - president accused of 'unacceptable interference'
    Tuesday 24 January 2023 13:54
    Ian Parkes
    GPFans

F1 chiefs have accused Mohammed Ben Sulayem of behaving "in an unacceptable manner" after the FIA president aired his opinion over the valuation of the sport. Via his personal Twitter account, Ben Sulayem fired off a series of tweets on Monday describing a $20billion price tag placed on F1 as "inflated".

That was in response to reports from finance news agency Bloomberg earlier this month that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund had tabled such a bid to acquire F1 from Liberty Media last year. Ben Sulayem stated that "any potential buyer is advised to apply common sense, consider the greater good of the sport and come with a clear, sustainable plan - not just a lot of money."

He added that it was the duty of the FIA "to consider what the future impact will be for promoters in terms of increased hosting fees and other commercial costs, and any adverse impact that it could have on fans". In a letter from F1 legal head Sacha Woodward Hill, along with Renee Wilm, who is the chief legal and administrative officer of the Liberty Media Corporation, which controls the sport's commercial rights, Ben Sulayem has effectively been accused of meddling.

‘Furious letter to FIA’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...-interference/

Vettel hopes F1 drivers 'show courage' after "nonsense" FIA ban
    05 February 1:30PM
    Author Luke Murphy
    RacingNews365

Sebastian Vettel has provided his reaction to the FIA's decision to enforce stricter regulations on drivers speaking out and making statements on a variety of topics. Sebastian Vettel hopes that the F1 drivers can 'show courage' after the FIA's decision to ban drivers from making "political, religious and personal statements".

The four-time World Champion has become the latest high-profile F1 figure to speak out against the FIA's decision to restrict driver statements. When asked if he was happy to be away from the sport under the new restrictions, he added that he saw no logic in the FIA's decision to change the regulations.

"There might have been a bit of trouble then," responded Vettel. "Of course, it always depends on what question you are asked and what the topic is. But I think it is absolutely important to take a stand on some issues and we have seen in recent years that more and more people have taken a stand. It doesn't make much sense [for the FIA] to go against that now."

'Show courage';

https://racingnews365.com/vettel-hop...nsense-fia-ban

Williams F1 Launches 2023 FW45 for American Logan Sargeant's Rookie Season.
    Williams on Monday presented the livery which will adorn its FW45 for the 2023 Formula 1 season.
    Feb 6, 2023
    By Phillip Horton
    AutoWeek

Williams’ FW45 will run for the first time during a shakedown at Silverstone next Monday (February 13) with both American F1 rookie Logan Sargeant and veteran Alex Albon getting seat time.

Williams has made significant aerodynamic changes during the off-season in a bid to combat the underlying weaknesses of its off-the-pace FW44. The sidepod concept has been heavily evolved, facilitated by alterations to the power unit cooling layout, while modifications have been made to the front suspension layout.

Mercedes remains as Williams’ power unit partner. Commercially, Williams has been bolstered by a new partnership with Gulf Oil, along with United States-based partners Stephens and Michelob Ultra. Williams has also undergone managerial changes during the offseason.

‘Williams F1 Launches 2023 FW45’;

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...rookie-season/

Gulf plan to go “bigger and better than before” with Williams branding deal
    2023 F1 season
    Posted on 6th February 2023, 15:40
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Williams’ new sponsor Gulf says it has plans to go “bigger and better” than it has in its previous involvement in Formula 1. Gulf were officially announced as a new sponsor of the Williams team in a “long-term” partnership at the reveal of the FW45 livery on Monday.

Gulf describe their partnership with Williams as the “next chapter of our iconic motorsport story” and have confirmed they will also support the Williams driver academy and esports teams as part of their partnership. While Williams’ F1 team and its junior driver programme will use similar liveries this year, Gulf CEO Mike Jones says the company has intentions of highlighting their brand creatively with its new partner.

“Anything we do in the future has got to be bigger and better than before,” Jones told media including RaceFans at the launch of Williams’ 2023 livery. We have a lot of Gulf fans around the world. We have a lot of requests for our livery. We want our livery to be special. We’re launching a number of fan-centric activation plans. We always feel that Gulf is the fans’ favourite and we really want our fans to be part of that. So of course we’re looking at different solutions for that right across the Formula 1 spectrum and we’ll be launching activation plans in the near future.”

‘Gulf is the fans’ favourite’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/06/...branding-deal/

Sidepod shape will be “most obvious change” on Williams’ F1 2023 car
    6 Feb 2023
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

Williams revealed their 2023 livery on Monday ahead of the FW45 making its first physical appearance at a Silverstone shakedown next week. “It’s going well, the car build is in progress,” Williams’ head of vehicle performance Dave Robson told media including Crash.net at the team’s season launch.

“Quite large chunks of the car’s systems have been tested independently and now the whole car is currently coming together, getting ready to run it very soon. So the car build is going well. In terms of differences compared to the FW44, the whole car is an evolution in terms of its physical appearance. There’s obviously a few changes from the regs, otherwise you’ll see it soon.”

“Probably the most obvious change compared to last year is around the sidepod shape, which is something we started the process of part-way through last year with the Silverstone package.”

‘Sidepod shape obvious change’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/101995...ms-f1-2023-car

Why F1 fans haven’t got the Gulf Williams livery they wanted
    Feb 6 2023
    By Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

The addition of the Gulf logo to an otherwise familiar Williams Formula 1 livery will no doubt disappoint fans hoping for the return of a classic colour scheme. The Gulf deal has been rumoured for several weeks and seemed to be accidentally confirmed in advance of Monday’s launch by a partner page on the Williams website being set live by mistake.

It led to expectations of Williams incorporating Gulf’s classic blue-and-orange colours into its 2023 car livery, especially as the team has recent form for reviving a traditional sponsor given it ran Martini colours from 2014 to 2018.

Gulf is one of motorsport’s most historically recognisable sponsors, emerging in the 1960s and 1970s in endurance racing, with the likes of Ford’s GT40 and Porsche’s 917 appearing in its colours at the Le Mans and Daytona 24 Hours, and then in F1 and US racing series with McLaren.

‘Gulf’s classic blue-and-orange colours’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/willi...y-they-wanted/

Mark Hughes: The Williams flaw its 2023 F1 car should fix
    Feb 6 2023
    By Mark Hughes
    The Race

Williams’s initial interpretation of the major aero Formula 1 regulations reset of 2022 – with a version of the ‘zero’ sidepod concept and wide outer floor channels – was quickly found to be seriously wanting and the team effectively redesigned the whole sidepod area in time for the mid-season British Grand Prix.

Williams’s head of vehicle performance Dave Robson at the end of last year. “We saw there was opportunity to do something better – not just short-term better but something with more potential going forwards – and hence that’s what we did.” Williams would have liked to have done more, but was restricted by cost.

Ideally, the sidepods would have been more tightly sculpted to better feed that sensitive area around the rear brake duct, but the existing cooling radiator had to be retained. With that limitation removed for this year’s car, that’s where the biggest visual change will be seen when the actual FW45 appears for the first time next Monday. “The whole car [FW45] is an evolution in terms of its physical appearance,” said Robson.

‘The Williams flaw’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/willi...1-car-can-fix/

Albon doubts Williams can emulate Haas’ leap up the order in 2023
    2023 F1 season
    Posted on 6th February 2023, 14:08
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Williams driver Alexander Albon does not expect the team to make a big step up the grid in 2023, similar to Haas last season. Heading into his second year with Williams, Albon is confident the team has made improvements on the weaker areas of last season’s FW44 but does not expect a major step up the order for the team.

“I’d say at the start of the year, I don’t think it will be something like Haas, let’s say, when they came out the blocks and straight away were very competitive,” Albon told media including RaceFans at the team’s launch event today. “We have changed quite a lot with the car in terms of its philosophy and the areas where we’re trying to change the through-corner behaviour of the car. That might take a bit of time to understand and optimise.”

“On my side, my main target is to see progress,” he said. “I think if we can improve from where we were last year – I mean, you can easily say that’s not hard – but in this world, it is a race and with these new regs changing so much, the downforce and everything, it’s not the same as it was last year. Of course teams have still managed to recoup the loss and of course, improve on top of that. But it’s not to say the other teams are doing a better job.”

‘Changed quite a lot with the car in terms of its philosophy’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/06/...order-in-2023/

Albon hopes Vowles hire can move Williams F1 forward.
    Alex Albon hopes the previous title-winning experience James Vowles will bring from Mercedes to Williams with his recent appointment as their new Team Principal can propel the side forward in the upcoming years.
    7th Feb 2023, 08:29
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

After Jost Capito departed the role at the end of last season, Williams made the shock announcement that they had poached Vowles from his long-standing position of chief strategist at the Mercedes team to take up the vacancy.

Although Albon has admitted he retained a good relationship with Capito and the timing of the change is far from ideal, the former Red Bull racer is excited to get working with an established name like Vowles, who became an integral part of the most successful team in Formula 1 history.

“Yeah, obviously in terms of timing it’s tricky. Just because of this being almost the peak month for getting ready for next year,” Albon said. “While obviously, I liked Jost very much and we had a great relationship together. He was obviously the person that brought me into the sport, or back into the sport, so I have a lot of time for him.”

‘Title-winning experience James Vowles’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...ms-f1-forward/

Alex Albon: Williams in a better position but there’s still a long road ahead
    07 Feb 2023 2:15 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Once again propping up the standings last season, Alex Albon admits Williams have “got a long road ahead” but believes they’re “definitely” in a better position now than they were 12 months ago.

Last season the arrival of Formula 1’s all-new ground effect aerodynamic cars didn’t herald the recovery Williams had hoped, instead the team once again found themselves bottom of the log.

Their fourth P10 in the past five seasons, Williams are a long way from their last spate of glory days in the 1990s when Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve were winning World titles.

‘Williams in a better position’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alex-a...ng-road-ahead/

Williams could sport full Gulf livery
    07/02/2023
    NEWS STORY
    Pitpass.com

Gulf Oil CEO admits that company's deal with Williams could echo McLaren and see the Grove outfit run a full Gulf livery at a selected race.

Be it the papaya and blue that adorned the Ford Mirages and GT 40s and the fabulous Porsche 917s of the late 60s and early 70s, or the 'plain' papaya of the works McLaren F1 and Can-Am cars of the same era, the Gulf livery has been sported by some of motor sport's most iconic race cars over the years.

James Bower, the commercial director for the Grove team, says the 9-time Constructors' Champions are very much open to ideas. "We agreed on a presence that will run throughout the entire season, and you've seen that today," he said. "We think that's going to be very effective.”

‘Full Gulf livery’;

https://www.pitpass.com/74451/Willia...ll-Gulf-livery

Williams F1 Team Unveils New 2023 Livery on Old Race Car and It’s Ok to Be Sick of It
    Published: 7 Feb 2023, 08:33 UTC • By:
    Sebastian Toma
    autoevolution

A substantial change for 2023 comes in the shape of a brand-new color finish, which makes the entire racing car matte instead of glossy. The new design will provide a fresh look on the grid, but the team is competing for points, not looks. At this point, everyone at Williams is hoping to see their car as further forward as possible, especially when the race is over, but that is a matter for a different day.

In case you have failed to notice the obvious, Williams has shown the FW44 with the new livery, meant for 2023, but stay tuned: the team will reveal its car for this season later this month. The FW45 will be revealed on February 13th, which might be a bit late if you are out shopping for gifts, but who are we to judge?

For now, we do know that the FW45 will come with a modified front suspension layout, as well as changes to the major external aerodynamic elements. Williams F1 team representatives have highlighted that the FW45 is a development of the car that was used in the previous season.

‘Williams has shown the FW44 with the new livery’;

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...it-209896.html

James Vowles arrival is not a sign of Williams following a Haas model
    07 Feb 2023 4:00 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Vowles was one of the big-name moves during Formula 1’s off-season, the Briton swapping his Mercedes chief strategist role for that of Williams’ new team principal. Williams’ head of vehicle performance Dave Robson insists Williams will remain an independent outfit.

“We are happy with the cooperation with Mercedes,” he said, “but Williams has always been a highly independent team. “They provide us with some amount of hardware that is extremely good but we need to take the rest of it forwards on our own, or at least be prepared to do that. “I don’t think we want to follow a Haas model.”

But while Vowles’ arrival means Williams will have a brand new team boss, one who has never been in the role of team principal, Robson is confident the Briton has already learned the job working alongside Toto Wolff at Mercedes. “I think it’s very important for the team to have someone who now finishes off that journey and brings us forward again,” said Robson.

‘Williams will remain an independent outfit’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/willia...ng-haas-model/

Alfa Romeo show off 2023 C43 F1 car with a striking new livery.
    Alfa Romeo unveils their new car for the 2023 season, the C43, with a bold red and black livery taking over from the red and white colour scheme.
    07 Feb 2023
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘C43 F1 car with a striking new livery’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...592570406.html

Alfa Romeo C43 is ready for the 2023 Formula One season
    It's an evolution of 2022's C42 race car
    Feb 7th 2023 at 10:27AM
    RONAN GLON
    Autoblog

Following rival Red Bull's lead, Alfa Romeo has become the second team to unveil the car it will race in the 2023 season of Formula One. (Haas has revealed its livery, but so far not the new season's car.) Called C43, the single-seater Alfa stands out from its predecessor with a new aerodynamic profile and a redesigned livery, among other changes.

The C43's red and black livery is the work of the Alfa Romeo Centro Stile, which is the same design center that draws the storied Italian company's road cars. Alfa Romeo describes the C43 as an evolution of the C42, its predecessor, and it notes that a technical team led by Jan Monchaux developed it around a new, Ferrari-sourced power unit. It features several updates and numerous new parts, though full details haven't been released, and Alfa Romeo hopes the changes made to the C43 will allow its team to improve during the 2023 season.

"This car is an evolution of last year's, reflecting the new regulations and introducing major changes in the areas where we found improvements to be needed. I hope it's going to be quicker than the successful car we had last year, that's what matters most, and more reliable as well: We have put a lot of effort in this direction," said Monchaux, the technical director of Alfa Romeo's Formula One team.

‘Alfa Romeo C43’;

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/02/07/...EwhSTVwDsXHXsA

It's not nice to be in my shoes right now, admits Alfa's technical director
    07/02/2023
    NEWS STORY
    Pitpass

The reveal out of the way, Alfa Romeo technical director, Jan Monchaux can't wait to get the C43 on track, though he admits that this is a nerve-wracking phase of the new car's life. "First of all, during the winter test, we want to be on the track at all times, not spending our time in the garage with some stupid small mistakes or issues that prevent us from running," he told the media at today's reveal of the Swiss outfit's 2023 contender.

"So it's not nice to be in my shoes right now," added the former Toyota (F1) and Audi aero man, "because everything could be good, and the next minute you have another issue to tackle and to sort. So I'll be glad when we are in Barcelona, and the car is running, and hopefully running smoothly, so that we can get into serious work."

Speaking at the launch, Valtteri Bottas confirmed that "high-speed load and balance" was just one of the problems encountered with the C2 last season, this together with porpoising and cooling issues. "The rear end is certainly where we spent most effort, most time to make up ground for us, in terms of topology of the rear and opening the door to further development," admits Monchaux. "Especially on the bodywork side, which was not possible last year, because we had a quite extreme cooler arrangement.”

‘Glad when we are in Barcelona’;

https://www.pitpass.com/74456/Its-no...nical-director

Video: The F1 design cues Alfa’s taken from Red Bull and Ferrari
    Feb 7 2023
    The Race

A striking new livery is one of the standout features of the C43 that Alfa Romeo has revealed for the 2023 Formula 1 season.

But looking beyond the new scheme reveals some significant technical developments – and more that are only likely to be revealed with time – that add up to what the Sauber-run team is describing as a “brave” concept.

Design convergence was always likely to be a theme of 2023 now we’re in the second year of F1 regulations, so it’s no surprise to see Alfa Romeo taking inspiration from last year’s top two teams, Red Bull and Ferrari, as our latest video explains.

‘Design convergence’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/video...es-alfa-romeo/

Gary Anderson: This C43 doesn’t match ‘brave’ Alfa Romeo claims
    7th Feb 2023, 16:58
    By Gary Anderson
    The Race

Alfa Romeo is the first Formula 1 team to sort of introduce its new car for 2023. I’m pretty sure there will be many changes before it first hits the track but at least the main architecture of the car is there.

For Sauber, which operates Alfa Romeo and will slowly merge into a fully-fledged Audi F1 team, this year needs to be a step in the right direction to show it is worthy of that huge investment.

The initial investment for Audi, which now owns 25% of Sauber, will allow the team to work right up to the cost-cap level – and as Audi is not fully taking over until the new power unit rules come into play for 2026, it will also allow for three years of investment in its facility to bring it up to date. So what of its car for 2023, the C43? Here’s a comprehensive look at it, starting at the front.

‘C43 doesn’t match ‘brave’ Alfa Romeo claims’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-...-romeo-claims/

F1 rocked as FIA boss Mohammed ben Sulayem 'quits' key role in letter to team bosses.
    Mohammed ben Sulayem's decision comes as tensions rise between the FIA and F1.
    09:37, Wed, Feb 8, 2023
    By Luke Chillingsworth
    Daily and Sunday Express

Mohammed ben Sulayem has reportedly decided to quit the hands-on running of the governing body amid tensions with F1 chiefs. The FIA boss said he would only concentrate on “strategic matters” with head of single-seaters, Nikolas Tombazis taking over the “day-to-day” running. However, it is understood Ben Sulayem will remain in his role as FIA president despite calls for him to resign. It comes after strained relations between the FIA and F1 after a series of conflicts on the eve of the new season.

Ben Sulayem revealed the new approach in an apparent letter to team bosses. According to the Daily Mail, it reads: “My stated objective was to be a non-executive president via the recruitment of a team of professional managers, which has now been largely completed. Therefore, going forward, your day-to-day contact for all matters on F1 will be with Nikolas (Tombazis, director of single-seater racing) and his team, while I will focus on strategic matters with my leadership team.”

German site Sport1 had reported that F1 owners Liberty Media was pushing for Ben Sulayem to stand down from his role. They had apparently lined up former Prodrive and Motorsport UK boss David Richards as his replacement. It comes after Ben Sulayem’s decisions came under fire from F1 chiefs, team bosses and drivers. F1 stars such as Max Verstappen and Valtteri Bottas have slammed an FIA decision to silence driver protests ahead of races.

‘F1 rocked’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...sulayem-latest

EXCLUSIVE: FIA chief Mohammed ben Sulayem RELINQUISHES hands-on control of Formula One with the president facing a fight to stay in office amid tensions with officials over 'grandstanding' and controversial comments
    • FIA chief Mohammed ben Sulayem has relinquished hands-on control of F1
    • The president has come under fire over his conduct and controversial remarks
    • He faces a fight to stay in office with allies taking him to task over his approach
    Published: 09:15, 8 February 2023
    By Jonathan Mcevoy For Mailonine

FIA president Mohammed ben Sulayem has taken the extraordinary step of relinquishing hands-on control of Formula One, Sportsmail can reveal. The embattled former rally champion from the United Arab Emirates – the most powerful figure in world motorsport – made the unexpected concession in a letter sent to team principals late on Monday afternoon. He remains president of the governing body.

However, Sportsmail understands that 61-year-old Ben Sulayem faces a fight to extend his term of office beyond his first four-year tenure, as opposition inside his organisation and Formula One more broadly has mushroomed since he assumed his post in succession to former Ferrari boss Jean Todt in December 2021.

Key allies have taken him to task over what they perceive to be his grandstanding approach, and his apparent acknowledgement of these realities resulted in his letter, seen by Sportsmail, in which he said: 'My stated objective was to be a non-executive president via the recruitment of a team of professional managers, which has now been largely completed.”

‘Tensions with officials over grandstanding';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rmula-One.html

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem gives up hands-on control in shock letter to F1 team bosses
    8 Feb 2023
    Lewis Larkam
    Crash.Net

According to the Daily Mail, Ben Sulayem wrote: “My stated objective was to be a non-executive president via the recruitment of a team of professional managers, which has now been largely completed.

“Therefore, going forward, your day-to-day contact for all matters on F1 will be with Nikolas (Tombazis, director of single-seater racing) and his team, while I will focus on strategic matters with my leadership team.”

Despite taking more of a back seat from F1, the report goes on to say that Ben Sulayem is expected to remain in his role as FIA president amid an apparent desire from some quarters for him to resign.

‘Gives up hands-on control in shock letter’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/102003...f1-team-bosses

Domenicali: 'Formula 1 will never put a gag on anyone'
    08/02/2023 at 10:33
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

Formula 1 chief executive Stefano Domenicali has responded to the FIA's clampdown on drivers expressing political statements, insisting the sport "will never put a gag one anyone".

The FIA recently amended its International Sporting Code which now includes a provision that bans drivers from expressing or displaying "political, religious and personal statements", unless they have been previously approved by the FIA.

The move is seen by many as a censorship effort aimed specifically at Lewis Hamilton who has often used F1's platform to call the public's attention on social injustice and inequalities. But all drivers up and down the ranks are concerned by the governing body's measure.

'Formula 1 will never put a gag on anyone';

https://f1i.com/news/465362-domenica...on-anyone.html

F1 FIA war intensifies as Domenicali sensationally backs drivers
    Wednesday 8 February 2023 08:24
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

The civil war between F1 and the FIA has taken another turn as the sport's CEO Stefano Domenicali has backed the drivers over the clampdown on political messaging. The FIA has tweaked the International Sporting Code in order to make it obligatory that drivers seek written consent before making any political stand during a race weekend.

Speaking to The Guardian, Domenicali has firmly taken the side of F1's drivers, insisting: “F1 will never put a gag on anyone. Everyone wants to talk, so to have the platform to say what they want in the right way the better it is.”

“We have a huge opportunity because of the position of our sport which is more and more global, multicultural and multi-valued. We are talking about 20 drivers, 10 teams and many sponsors, they have different ideas, different views.”

‘F1 FIA war intensifies’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...backs-drivers/

Alfa Romeo explain similarities between C43 and Red Bull’s dominant RB18.
    Alfa Romeo were inspired by the championship-winning RB18, drawing on the Red Bull design to resolve last year’s cooling issues with the new C43.
    08 Feb 2023 1:00 PM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Last season Alfa Romeo suffered 10 retirements in 22 races on their way to sixth place in the Constructors’ Championship. While some of those could be attributed to crashes and others to the dismal reliability of their Ferrari power unit, the car’s cooling system was responsible for almost half the DNFs. It had technical director Jan Monchaux searching for a solution.

Revamping the rear of the car for the 2023 season, Monchaux revealed the team drew inspiration from Red Bull, solutions they would have liked to have put into place last season but it wasn’t possible given the difference in the rear suspension. “Which you can see,” he continued.

“I mean, it’s quite obvious, but for us it wouldn’t have been possible last year. Even if we had said we wanted it, we couldn’t make it, because coolers were so extreme, and the rear suspension wouldn’t have allowed that.”

‘Alfa Romeo explain similarities’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alfa-r...red-bull-rb18/

F1 history made by Alfa Romeo after 2023 launch
    Wednesday 8 February 2023 14:09
    Ewan Gale
    GPFans

Alfa Romeo has made history by putting the car used for its 2023 season launch up for auction. The C43 was unveiled by race drivers Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu at Sauber's Hinwil-based factory on Tuesday [February 7].

Significantly, it was the first of the four launches so far to show off the 2023 challenger in at least partial glory, instead of purely demonstrating liveries.

But for the first time, the launch car is being put up for sale immediately, with F1 Authentics overseeing the auction. "For the first time in history, we're making an F1 launch car available to the public. This C43 chassis, as built by F1 Authentics, is now officially up for auction."

‘F1 history’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...r-2023-launch/

2023 Alfa Romeo F1 Car is Already a Contender for Best on the Grid
    9 Feb 2023 | News
    Ben McKimm,
    Man of Many

The livery has been designed by Alfa Romeo’s Centro Stile, and we think it does a great job of showcasing the gorgeous logo of the Italian brand. Fans have been quick to point out that the car looks a little Ferrari-like in its approach, with the front wing, rear wing, and side skirts all appearing in black. However, the upper half of the livery blends red and black perfectly, intertwining the Quadrifoglio, or “Four Leaf Clover” to the upper duct.

What do the drivers think? Valtteri Bottas is excited, saying “The C43 is finally here, and I cannot wait to bring it on track. I really like our new livery, I think it’s stunning, and a fine evolution from last year’s one.” Meanwhile, Zhou Guanyu echoed the same sentiment, “I think we are sporting a beautiful new design for 2023, and I’m looking forward to driving the car in Barcelona in the next days, before properly getting the season started with winter testing in Bahrain.”

The first race of the 2023 F1 season will start in Bahrain at the Bahrain International Circuit on Monday the 6th of March at 2 am AEST before it moves to the Jeddah Corniche Circuit in Saudi Arabia on Monday the 20th of March at 4 am AEST.

‘Contender for Best on the Grid’;

https://manofmany.com/entertainment/...r?nowprocket=1

Zhou more comfortable ahead of second F1 season
    Thursday 9th February, 2023 - 3:20pm
    By Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

Alfa Romeo Sauber driver Guanyu Zhou heads into his second season more confident than he did in his rookie F1 campaign in 2022. Zhou scored a world championship point on debut in Bahrain last year, adding five more over the course of the year.

Predictably, there were some teething issues; in both Bahrain and Saudi Arabia Zhou he allowed the revs to drop too low, which put the car into anti-stall. He learned from those, and aside from a terrifying crash at the British Grand Prix put in a solid account of himself. Embarking on his second season in F1, the Chinese driver is more sure of himself with 22 races now under his belt.

“What was very clear, last year, I was super nervous and intense,” he said. “Now, I feel a bit more understanding with the team, with Formula 1 cars. I’m arriving into the first test [shakedown] in Barcelona and then Bahrain, I’ll be feeling a bit more comfortable and a bit more knowing what’s coming.”

‘Zhou more comfortable’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/02/09...meo-sauber-f1/

Alfa Romeo without a team principal – what does it mean?
    Thursday 9th February, 2023 - 2:15am
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

When Alfa Romeo announced Alessandro Alunni Bravi as its team representative last month it prompted two obvious questions – Alessandro who, and what is a team representative? In fairness to Alunni Bravi, the 49-year-old from Italy is well-equipped to take on a bespoke role within the day-to-day running of the Alfa Romeo operation, in addition to his position as managing director that he took up last year.

A civil lawyer by education, Alunni Bravi has served as general counsel to the Sauber Group since he joined the company almost six years ago. In the eyes of new Sauber CEO Andreas Seidl, he will be regarded as a safe pair of hands, as well as trusted eyes and ears when it comes to dealing with the FIA and Formula 1.

Alunni Bravi is also no stranger to the pit wall as he was managing director and team manager at Coloni Motorsport in 2002 and 2003 before then serving as general manager of the WRC’s Rally Italia Sardinia event.

‘Without a team principal’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/02/09...epresentative/

A SECOND TEAM HAS SIGHTS SET ON JOINING F1.
    Andretti might have competition — there's another team with eyes on a spot on the F1 grid.
    10th Jan 2023, 07:02
    Jasmine Hughes
    FormulaNerds

Panthera Racing have confirmed that progress is currently underway on an Expression of Interest application to the FIA.

As reported by PlanetF1, Panthera Team Asia is officially “working on” a bid to join Formula 1. The team has had their eyes on a spot on the grid since 2019— though these plans were put on hold with the outbreak of COVID-19. With the FIA announcing the launch of an Expressions of Interest process for prospective F1 teams, an opportunity has opened up for Panthera to join the grid.

Few details are currently known about the Asian-based team’s bid. However, Panthera’s co-founder and team principal Benjamin Durand shared that further information about the Expression of Interest bid will be revealed “soon”.

‘A SECOND TEAM’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/pa.../?nowprocket=1

Panthera Team Asia start Expression of Interest process to join F1
    Thursday 9 February 2023 12:30
    Paul Macdonald
    GPFans

Benjamin Durand, team principal and co-founder of Panthera Team Asia, has confirmed that the team is in the process of signing up for the FIA's Expression of Interest process to bring new entrants into Formula 1. In January Durand announced his interest in taking his team into F1, saying: "We still think that the Asian market and the Chinese market are the next developing markets.

"They all look west, no one looks east. Now Formula 1 focuses a lot on the US, which is normal because it's growing, but once that market is there Asia and Africa will be the next big market for F1, especially with Zhou [Guanyu] in the championship.

"It's been a rollercoaster; we could have given up on this project a long time ago , but we believe in it." Now, Panthera Asian F1 has confirmed that they are 'in the process' of signing up for the new Expression of Interest process, and that they are 'expecting more news soon'.

‘Expression of Interest’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...ula-1-entrant/

Haas against Andretti joining F1 as Guenther Steiner says 11th team brings 'just risk, no benefit'
    Last Updated: 10/02/23 11:40am
    Sky Sports

Haas boss Guenther Steiner tells Sky Sports F1 that an 11th team would bring "no benefit" or "upside" and only risks; Andretti announced plans to enter Formula 1 in 2026 last month after partnering with General Motors and Cadillac

Guenther Steiner says Haas are against Andretti joining the Formula 1 grid as there is "just risk, no benefit" from an 11th outfit. Andretti confirmed plans to bring an "all-American team" to F1 after partnering with General Motors and its luxury brand Cadillac in January, with the sport's governing FIA welcoming an entry from 2026.

Their arrival, however, also needs approval from F1 themselves as well as the teams. So far, Andretti have admitted that only McLaren and Alpine are their "allies" backing their bid.

‘Haas against Andretti joining F1’;

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...isk-no-benefit

Horner suggests alternative method for Andretti to join F1
    10th Feb 2023, 09:08
    by Fergal Walsh
    Motorsport Week

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has suggested that Andretti Global should look at taking over an existing Formula 1 team rather than establish its own outfit. Andretti has been in discussions with F1 for some time regarding setting up an 11th squad on the grid.

Horner pointed out that some of the sport’s most successful teams, including his own Red Bull squad, once existed as a separate entity.

“Red Bull Racing was Jaguar, which was Stewart Ford,” he told the Daily Mail. “You look at Mercedes, that goes all the way back through Honda to British American Racing to Tyrell. “Aston Martin go back to being a Jordan team. That has been the procedure for many years.

‘Alternative method’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...ti-to-join-f1/

Johnny Herbert doesn’t ‘see why there’s a problem’ with Andretti joining the F1 grid
    06 Feb 2023 10:45 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Former F1 driver Johnny Herbert is perplexed as to why “there’s a problem” with Andretti Cadillac Racing joining the Formula 1 grid, believing it is “important” for the sport to have another American team.

“I don’t see why there’s a problem,” the former driver turned pundit told Total-Motorsport.com. “When I started we had 26-car grids and it looked brilliant. I liked battling with more cars. It also gives more opportunities to other drivers to be on the grid at the same point.

“There is always talk about teams being greedy and guarding the money pot they get. I get that. But for F1, the most important thing is having another team, an American team.”

‘Doesn’t see why there’s a problem’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/johnny...ti-joining-f1/