Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Secrets of Red Bull's RB19 with Adrian Newey.
    Even by Adrian Newey’s lofty standards, the Red Bull RB19 Formula 1 car was a stunning success.
    08:49 Fri, 29 Dec 2023.
    by Mark Hughes
    The Race

The breaking of records as Max Verstappen waltzed to 19 grand prix wins in one season in the second year of the ‘ground effect’ regulations was not how most would have called it a year ago. After Red Bull won all but five GPs in 2022, the natural assumption was that the second year of these tunnel-floored cars would lead to its advantage being reduced.

Well, pretty much everyone did make progress. It’s just that Red Bull made more. Only a couple of teams had even begun to understand the fundamentals of what made the ’22 Red Bull dominant. That little detail is what was at the heart of the ’23 car’s increased advantage as it took the basic foundation that was so right – and added forever more downforce to it. The rightness of that concept back in ’22 was to do with Newey.

He feeds into the technical group including also technical director Pierre Wache and aero chief Enrico Balbo. But he will tell you he doesn’t ever direct that team of gifted people, would never say ‘we’re going this way, follow me’. But he seems to have an intuitive understanding of the hierarchy of importance of performance factors, especially when a new set of regulations come into force and mix all those variables up. Historically, that is where he gets the jump on everyone else.

‘RB19 Formula 1 car was a stunning success’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/r...newey-secrets/

Former Red Bull star lauds RB19 during 'mindblowing' hot lap
    Friday 22 December 2023 20:23
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Former Formula 1 race winner David Coulthard was 'mindblown' after being able to take the dominant RB19 for a spin around Silverstone. The car has recently been described by Red Bull team principal Christian Horner as the 'most successful F1 car in history', after Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez claimed 21 of the 22 race victories in 2023.

Coulthard could have won title in RB19: Taking the car on a hot lap around Silverstone for Red Bull's YouTube channel, the Scotsman was blown away by the RB19's speed. "Okay, well, I'm wide awake now," Coulthard proclaimed after the lap. What an experience, so smooth!"

"I know the actual drivers complain that it feels quite cumbersome at low speeds but, for a 52-year-old, it felt nimble. Later on, he quipped: "Maybe even I could have won the title in this car," before saying, "What are you laughing at? I used to be good!" As he crossed the line, Coulthard remarked: "What a privilege. What an honour. This is a car of its generation. It's a mindblowing machine."

‘Blown away by the RB19's speed’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...owing-hot-lap/

F1 tech review deep dive: How marginal gains made Red Bull’s RB19 so good
    DEC 25, 2023, 3:20 AM
    AUTHOR Matt Somerfield
    CO-AUTHOR Giorgio Piola
    Motorsport.com

The dominance of Red Bull’s RB19 was record-breaking in Formula 1, with only McLaren’s MP4-4 from 1988 achieving anywhere near its win ratio.

But while both cars missed out on clean sweeps by just one victory in their respective campaigns, what is perhaps most impressive is that Red Bull had to do that against the backdrop of 22 events rather than just 16. Rather than being an all-new design, the RB19 was an evolution of the RB18, because standing still in F1 is not an option.

So, whilst the core DNA and design language of its predecessor were still clear to see, the RB19 needed to take another leap forward in order to stay one step ahead of its rivals, especially as many had already started to mimic some of its aerodynamic concepts.

‘Marginal gains made Red Bull’s RB19 so good’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...good/10559452/

Revealed: Ferrari uncover another Red Bull secret to RB19 success
    30 Dec 2023 7:00 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Ferrari aerodynamics chief Enrico Cardile has revealed Red Bull introduced a “new technology” for their brake calipers in F1 2023, which potentially shaved weight off the RB19. The most recent Formula 1 season was a story of record-breaking dominance for the Red Bull team, who claimed a remarkable 21 grand prix wins out of a possible 22.

Ferrari earned the honour of being the team to deny them that undefeated season, Carlos Sainz taking the chequered flag in Singapore, but overall it was a campaign where the competition struggled to lay a glove on the combination of Max Verstappen and the Red Bull RB19.

‘Another Red Bull secret to RB19 success’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...brake-calipers

Ricciardo reveals 'DNA' secret about RB19
    Wednesday 27 December 2023 10:57
    Cal Gaunt
    GPFans

Daniel Ricciardo has said that the Red Bull RB19 still has the 'DNA' of the car he remembers driving during his initial stint with the team, which made testing the car much easier for him. Recently dubbed the 'most successful F1 car in history', the RB19's plaudits come fresh on the heels of a remarkable season where Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez clinched a staggering 21 out of 22 race victories in the year 2023.

"What made the test go really well for me is that, yes, the cars have evolved and changed so much, but there was part of its DNA, which was still what I remembered and still what I really liked in a race car," Ricciardo told Beyond The Grid. "The part I love most about the Red Bull car is that I can just drive it the way I want to drive it. It doesn't really explain what's great about the car, but it explains why I love it.”

"I just remember getting on the throttle. Once I'd got to like 50 per cent throttle, I had so much faith in just smashing that last 50 per cent and not having to really worry about the car or where it was. A fast car is not always the easiest car to drive. As beautiful and awesome as the car is, you've still got to drive it. I look at the season Max had and he's also won races in mixed conditions, in the wet, and the car is amazing, but it’s not doing it for you.”

'DNA secret about RB19’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...19-dna-secret/

Major Max Verstappen Red Bull RB19 advantage spotted in on-board analysis
    20 Dec 2023 7:00 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Seven-time F1 grand prix winner René Arnoux said on-board footage shows Max Verstappen “draws a clean line through the corner” with the Red Bull RB19, a kind of stability and control which rivals do not enjoy. Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, former Renault and Ferrari F1 driver Arnoux said a crucial factor in Verstappen’s dominance over the competition can be uncovered by studying on-board footage of the Red Bull driver.

Arnoux explained that the Red Bull RB19’s stability allowed Verstappen to “draw a clean line through the corner”, while his competitors were always making corrections with the wheel in comparison. “Max is a fabulous driver,” Arnoux began. “Take a look at the on-board camera footage. Max brakes, turns, holds the steering wheel still and draws a clean line through the corner. The other drivers have to constantly make corrections at the wheel.”

“Draws a clean line through the corner”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/rene-a...-red-bull-rb19

Horner expecting F1 rivals to copy RB19 design
    Friday 22 December 2023 09:57
    Sam Cook
    GPFans

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has said that the team's RB19 philosophy may be present on the grid in 2024, as he expects a number of Formula 1 teams to copy the car that was so successful in 2023. The Brit recently described the RB19 as the 'most successful car in F1 history', after Max Verstappen managed to secure 19 victories on his way to a third world title.

The team were well and truly dominant in 2023, breaking a hatful of records and only being beaten in one race throughout the whole season. This, coupled with both Mercedes and Ferrari's miserable seasons by their standards, puts a huge target on the backs of Red Bull heading into 2024.

‘F1 rivals to copy RB19 design’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...y-rb19-design/

Adrian Newey's F1 championship-winning cars from FW14B to RB19
    11:09 Tue, 26 Dec 2023.
    AUTHOR Ed Hardy
    Motorsport.com

Adrian Newey's F1 championship-winning cars from FW14B to RB19
    Adrian Newey has been a pioneer in Formula 1 car design having a career that’s spanned five decades and helped drivers win several world championships

Williams FW14B
    Williams FW15C
    Williams FW16
    Williams FW18
    Williams FW19
    McLaren MP4/13
    McLaren MP4/14
    Red Bull RB6
    Red Bull RB7
    Red Bull RB8
    Red Bull RB9
    Red Bull RB16B
    Red Bull RB18
    Red Bull RB19

‘Adrian Newey has been a pioneer in Formula 1 car design’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...rb19/10560655/

2024 Formula 1 Preview & Review.
    03/12/2023, 08:32
    Motorsport Forums

https://www.motorsportforums.com/sho...iew-amp-Review

F1: Drivers That Impressed In the 2023 Season.
    Let’s have a look at some of the most impressive drivers in this year’s Formula One season.
    December 26, 2023.
    By: Nicole Powell
    Last Word On Sports

Max Verstappen: His ability to remain consistent paired with an Adrian Newey masterpiece allowed Verstappen to claim the driver’s title as early as October – on Saturday’s sprint race in Qatar. The only race he did not finish on the podium was Singapore, when the Red Bull did not have the pace it had at every other circuit. Verstappen finished the season with 575 – a new record that will be tough to beat.
    Lewis Hamilton: For Lewis Hamilton to finish the season in P3 behind both Red Bulls claiming the top spot as best of the rest in an unpredictable car was a legendary statement by the 38-year-old.

Oscar Piastri: Oscar Piastri did not earn the Rookie of The Year award at the FIA prize-giving gala for nothing. The McLaren driver drove an impressive campaign in his first-ever Formula One season.
    Alex Albon: Williams have had their best season in two decades. James Vowles has done an incredible job in his first season as team principal, but he must have many thanks to Alex Albon.

Fernando Alonso: Fernando Alonso is a driver that is proving that age is truly just a number. At the age of 42, he is still performing at a high level, and better than some of his younger counterparts, including his teammate Lance Stroll.
    Liam Lawson: Liam Lawson might have only made 5 appearances in the 2023 season, but his short stint was quite impressive for a rookie who was unexpectedly thrown into an F1 seat.

‘Drivers That Impressed’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...e-2023-season/

REVIEWING THE FORMULANERDS’ 2023 F1 SEASON PREDICTIONS
    A year ago, I tasked our team of writers with taking some guesses as to what the upcoming F1 season might have in store. Let’s see how we did…
    December 25, 2023
    Samuel Coop
    FormulaNerds

Samuel: I’m not going to beat around the bush here. I did terribly. What an idiot. If I’m being charitable (to myself), I’d give myself 0.5/5. I predicted:
    • Drivers’ Champion: Lewis Hamilton
    • Constructors’ Champion: Mercedes
    • Driver of the Year: Esteban Ocon
    • Biggest surprise: Lance Stroll
    • Hot take: Daniel Ricciardo will replace Sergio Perez before the end of the season

James P: I’ve gotta hand it to James here. He went big with predicting a George Russell drivers’ title and therefore has had to go home. Yikes… Skipping past another ill-advised Mercedes prediction (who knew they’d hold onto the ‘zeropod’ concept till Monaco?!), I’ve actually got a fair amount of time for James’s latter three selections:
    • Drivers’ Champion: George Russell
    • Driver of the Year: Lando Norris
    • Biggest surprise: Alpine
    • Hot take: Max Verstappen will be booed at most races and will become quite unpopular

Nathan: Like pretty much all of us, Nathan predicted that Mercedes and Ferrari would converge with Red Bull at the top of the order. That didn’t happen, but a couple of Nathan’s picks were pretty interesting:
    • Drivers’ Champion: Lewis Hamilton
    • Driver of the Year: Oscar Piastri
    • Biggest surprise: Sergio Perez & Carlos Sainz
    • Hot take: Aston Martin and Alpine’s pairings will get heated due to a lot of incidents between themselves

‘FORMULANERDS’ 2023’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/feature...n-predictions/

Most controversial 2023 F1 incidents including Lewis Hamilton and Carlos Sainz
    Tue 26 December 2023 08:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

The most controversial moments over the 2023 Formula 1 season including incidents for Ferrari pair Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc plus Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton. F1 seemed to bounce from one controversy to the next across the 2023 season all the while Red Bull and Max Verstappen dominated. The 26-year-old enjoyed the most successful year any Formula 1 driver has ever achieved with 19 wins from 22 races plus a record 575 points.

A water valve cover destroyed Carlos Sainz’s Ferrari in FP1 at the Las Vegas GP: F1’s extravagant return to Nevada started in controversial fashion as a loose water valve cover destroyed Sainz’s Ferrari after the opening eight minutes in FP1.
    Lewis Hamilton and Charles Leclerc got disqualified from the United States GP: Stewards would disqualify Hamilton from his P2 finish at COTA after the race due to excessive wear to his W14’s floor. Ferrari also saw the stewards disqualify Leclerc from his P6 finish at the US GP for the same reason.

Nine drivers received track limit infringement penalties at the Austrian GP: Formula 1 left the Austrian GP in July with egg on the series’ face after a controversial race littered with track limit infringements.
    Controversy surrounded Andretti’s bid to join the Formula 1 grid in 2023: Michael Andretti, the son of 1978 F1 champion Mario Andretti, has continually pushed to join the travelling circus in recent years. But the field have kept blocking his bid.

‘Controversial 2023 F1 incidents’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/mos...-carlos-sainz/

Top 10: All drivers except Lewis Hamilton vote for best F1 2023 drivers
    28 Dec 2023 12:45 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Max Verstappen added another title to his F1 2023 CV after his peers voted him the class of the field, except Lewis Hamilton, who continued not to take part. Here is the the F1 2023 top 10, as voted for by the drivers, in full:

1. Max Verstappen, Red Bull
    2. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
    3. Fernando Alonso, Aston Martin
    4. Lando Norris, McLaren
    5. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
    6. Carlos Sainz, Ferrari
    7. Alex Albon, Williams
    8. Oscar Piastri, McLaren
    9. Pierre Gasly, Alpine
    10. Sergio Perez, Red Bull

‘Top 10’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/all-dr...1-2023-drivers

Unluckiest driver, funniest moment and more – F1's 2023 alternative awards
    28 December 2023
    Alasdair Hooper
    Duty Editor
    Formula One - Official Site

Most improved driver – Alex Albon: We start with an award that, yes, is subjective and open to debate – but Alex Albon has more than stepped up in his fourth full F1 season.
    Unluckiest driver – Esteban Ocon: For the unluckiest driver, look no further than Alpine’s Esteban Ocon. Seven DNFs through the year tell their own story and there was a DNF in the Qatar Sprint for good measure.

Funniest moment – Sergio Perez and Bruce Buffer: Now here’s a duo you would never have expected to conjure up the most hilarious moment of the year – but they absolutely delivered. With famed UFC announcer Bruce Buffer drafted in to do the introductions for the Las Vegas drivers’ parade, it seemed no one had briefed Sergio Perez on where he needed to be after his grand welcome.

Best radio message – George Russell’s sweat: A future career as a weatherman probably isn’t on the horizon for George Russell, but he did at least entertain us when he thought the sweat dripping from his hair was rain at the Spanish Grand Prix.
    Best special livery – Alfa Romeo in Monza: From a chrome-look McLaren to Ferrari’s celebratory nod to their previous golden age in the US, we’ve had plenty of special liveries this year.

‘Most entertaining feature – ‘Rookies Reunited’, Best cause – Bottass 2024, Best stat – Max Verstappen's win percentage, Best meme – Oscar Piastri and the unfortunate jetpack pilot, Best joker – Fred Vasseur’;

‘F1's 2023 alternative awards’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ruCE1tr7P.html

Brundle reveals 'bizarre' choice for top F1 race in 2023
    Wednesday 27 December 2023 09:29
    Stuart Hodge
    GPFans

Martin Brundle admits the most rollercoaster weekend of the F1 season ended up providing his favourite race. The Las Vegas Grand Prix weekend began disastrously after a loose drain cover on the street circuit led to a dangerous accident for Carlos Sainz, ending FP1 after just eight minutes.

"Bizarrely, I think it was Las Vegas," said the legendary pundit. "It didn't start well, but you know 82 in-race passes, six lead changes. And it was sort of Monza speeds, but it looked like almost on a track with the same grip as intermediates when it had been raining a little bit. So to see them grappling with the cars, then the super high speed stuff, the late breaking and all the craziness that went on.”

'Bizarre' and ‘Craziness’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...-f1-race-2023/

Motorsport Forums

Verstappen comes out top in 2023 poll of F1 bosses.
    Max Verstappen has won another end-of-season accolade in recognition of his dominant 2023 campaign which secured him his third consecutive F1 drivers championship.
    30/12/2023 at 12:55
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

The Red Bull driver had already been voted ‘Driver of the Year’ by his fellow F1 drivers (with the exception of Lewis Hamilton, who didn't take part in the vote) and topped F1i's Driver Ratings of the year.

And now Verstappen is the top choice of F1 team principals conducted by the official Formula1.com website which awarded drivers scores based on the current F1 points system, the top driver earning 25 points down to one for 10th.

Those casting votes were Alessandro Alunni Bravi, Bruno Famin, Christian Horner, Mike Krack, Guenther Steiner, Andrea Stella, Franz Tost, Fred Vasseur, James Vowles and Toto Wolff.

‘Won another end-of-season accolade’;

https://f1i.com/news/497205-verstapp...f1-bosses.html

F1 AWARDS - VOTE: Who was the luckiest driver in 2023?
    Saturday 30 December 2023 09:57.
    Chris Deeley
    GPFans

As F1 seasons get longer and longer, the impact of luck becomes more and more apparent. Have your team put a month of work into an upgrade that doesn't do anything? Did you get taken out once or twice in accidents you had nothing to do with?

That's bad luck! However, we're not here to talk about the woes and misfortunes today. Today, we're looking at those who - as the Spanish might say - tener una flor en el culo. Those who have lived a charmed life. Those who, some might say, were more lucky than good at times in 2023.

Who was the luckiest F1 driver in 2023?
    Lance Stroll6%
    Max Verstappen29%
    Alex Albon4%
    Fernando Alonso10%
    Daniel Ricciardo52%

‘The luckiest driver’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...iel-ricciardo/

The oddest moment of F1 2023's strangest weekend
    Dec 30, 2023
    by Edd Straw
    The Race

For Edd Straw, it's a 3.30am revelation in Las Vegas that's lodged in his mind. The Las Vegas Grand Prix was always likely to be, for better or worse, the most memorable race weekend of the 2023 Formula 1 season. But while for many watching the sight of Carlos Sainz clouting a utility cover early in free practice will spring to mind, for me it was a moment later in the day that encapsulated the unique absurdity of the race weekend.

The combination of the lengthy delay and the uncertainty about free practice happening at all, then the shameful moment when those fans who did hang around were sent home shortly before the cars did run again, meant FP2 was already a storied session when it kicked off at 2.30am local time.

‘Oddest moment of F1 2023's strangest weekend’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/l...angest-moment/

Zhou Guanyu admits what he heard about Sergio Perez and F1 rival was ‘crazy’ in 2023
    Sat 30 December 2023 13:00
    Kyle Archer
    F1 Oversteer

Sauber star Zhou Guanyu admits he found rumours of Aston Martin driver Fernando Alonso replacing Red Bull’s Sergio Perez following the Mexico City Grand Prix ‘crazy’. The rumour mill was in full flow after the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez round at the end of October. Perez produced another disappointing weekend at his home event. The Red Bull driver failed to finish even the first lap after causing a collision at Turn 1 with Charles Leclerc.

“People were saying Sergio would retire in the Mexico GP but nothing goes on,” Zhou told Autosport. “It is the rumours of Fernando swapping his seat [to join Red Bull]. That’s crazy. I actually understand more about the media, especially when you have other drivers or from the medias of that country making rumours, makes you worry. But from the inside out, you know what’s going on. You are quite easy understanding about them.”

‘Crazy’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/zho...crazy-in-2023/

The F1 drivers who pulled off the 10 biggest charges through the field in 2023
    29th December 2023, 12:02
    Written by Ida Wood
    RaceFans

The driver who pulled off the biggest climb through the field in 2023 had more than a little luck on his side. Sergio Perez’s climb from last on the grid to fifth at the chequered flag in the Australian Grand Prix hung on a contentious decision by the race director about the restart order before the field took the chequered flag behind the Safety Car.

While the Red Bull drivers enjoyed a significant advantage when it came to charging through the field, several surprising names from the midfield appear among the drivers who made the best recovery drives of the year. In total, there were 12 occasions where a driver finished a grand prix 10 places or more above their starting position.

1. Sergio Perez, Australian Grand Prix, 15 positions

2. Lance Stroll, Las Vegas Grand Prix, 14 positions

=3. Lance Stroll, United States Grand Prix, 13 positions
    =3. Max Verstappen, Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, 13 positions

=5. George Russell, Hungarian Grand Prix, 12 positions
    =5. Lando Norris, Mexican Grand Prix, 12 positions
    =5. Esteban Ocon, Las Vegas Grand Prix, 12 positions
    =5. Sergio Perez, Austrian Grand Prix, 12 positions

9. Pierre Gasly, Bahrain Grand Prix, 11 positions

=10. Oscar Piastri, Singapore Grand Prix, 10 positions
    =10. Zhou Guanyu, Qatar Grand Prix, 10 positions
    =10. Sergio Perez, Qatar Grand Prix, 10 positions

‘10 biggest charges through the field in 2023’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/12/29/...field-in-2023/

F1 AWARDS - VOTE: Who was the best team principal in 2023?
    Friday 29 December 2023 22:57
    Matthew Hobkinson
    GPFans

In a season dominated by Max Verstappen on the track, there were plenty of other key figures playing pivotal roles away from it.

Team principals are ultimately the ones who have to be accountable for the team's performance come the end of the season, so it is only natural that a lot of praise and criticism is levelled their way.

Who was the best team principal this season?
    Christian Horner36%
    Toto Wolff31%
    Fred Vasseur6%
    Andrea Stella16%
    Mike Krack3%
    James Vowles7%

‘Best team principal’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...edes-red-bull/

Motorsport Forums