Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts

British & Irish Rally calendars 2023

https://www.britishrallychampionship...ndar-for-2023/

In comes the Malcolm Wilson, Ypres & Ulster. Out are Clacton, Nicky Grist & the Grampian stages.

From a spectator view, the Malcolm Wilson can be a pain, especially if Greystoke is non spectator, as the Whinlatter stages are run early to suit the Forestry.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    Still can't believe the closest event to London is not even in the UK... surely Clacton or a totally new rally needs to be in there. Seems a shame. Ulster is a cool event though.

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pettersolberg29 View Post
    Still can't believe the closest event to London is not even in the UK... surely Clacton or a totally new rally needs to be in there. Seems a shame. Ulster is a cool event though.
    Until someone works out a way to make rallying relevant to people living in London, or indeed any other major city, it's not really worth worrying about...

4. Likes: AndyRAC (24th October 2022),HKSjbg (24th October 2022),J4MIE (24th October 2022)
    Liked 397 Times in 245 Posts
    Oooo I’m excited by this! I did suspect the Malcolm Wilson was possibly going to join the BRC as it came up on the 2023 calendar on ewrc-results along with the Jim Clark, Ceredigion, Trackrod, Cambrian. It’s still down as a 1-dayer but it was mentioned that it will be the longest gravel rally of the season. Perhaps the BRC will do second runs through Grizedale? Maybe even Grizedale East we now know it’s back in use as a rally stage?

I’m still baffled that a rally in Belgium (albeit an extremely good one) is even considered for inclusion in the British Rally Championship.

6. Likes: AndyRAC (24th October 2022)
    Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    Until someone works out a way to make rallying relevant to people living in London, or indeed any other major city, it's not really worth worrying about...
    I'm afraid this is correct. The sport has disappeared and isn't relevant to those who have the money to fund the sport. And it's not a sudden thing; it's been the best part of 20 years of disappearing down a hole.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 330 Times in 184 Posts
    So 2 rounds co-existing with the BTRDA (Wilson/Trackrod) and an Irish tarmac event to try and draw a few more Irish crews back, interesting. Ypres when they announced the WRC wouldnt be going back was a cert as guess they arent interested in being back in the ERC anytime soon. Clacton being dropped is the one I didnt forsee with its catchment area, must have not gone well this year on one side or both for it to drop so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal yet again View Post
    Clacton being dropped is the one I didnt forsee with its catchment area, must have not gone well this year on one side or both for it to drop so soon.
    It looks like they've made an effort to get away from 40-45 minute rallies and I guess Corbeau doesn't really fit into that. I don't see how it could be opened up to much more stage mileage. Nothing wrong with the rally or it's organisation but I can only ever see it being able to run with a 'clubman' length itinerary.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (24th October 2022),J4MIE (24th October 2022),the sniper (25th October 2022)
    Liked 510 Times in 180 Posts
    I did Clacton the first two times it ran, plus a few other new closed road events. By the time I get to the third loop of stages I just find it fairly boring, but Clacton needs it to keep the mileage up, and they’ve pretty much exhausted the roads they can choose to use in the small area the event covers, I guess they could extend it further out but then has a high risk of losing the vital local support.

Plus my car got stolen the night before 2nd attempt. Not overly keen to go back.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 1,520 Times in 653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    I’m still baffled that a rally in Belgium (albeit an extremely good one) is even considered for inclusion in the British Rally Championship.
    It's an incomprehensible admission, or even advertisement, of failure. The UK governing body can't even bring itself to form a UK championship. What are they actually trying to achieve?

13. Likes: AndyRAC (26th October 2022)
    I hope it’s just a stop gap until something more appropriate comes along in late spring/early summer but as it last ran in the BRC for 3 seasons… probably not.

That being said it’s not far off being what I’d pick for an ideal calendar; I’d swap the Jim Clark for Ypres’s date; swap Ypres for the Manx in May (would probably need help from IoM tourist board to make that happen); swap MW and the Cambrian; combine the Cambrian with Rally North Wales in the last weekend of March for the best stages Wales has to offer all in one rally; and maybe have a bigger spread between Ulster, Ceredigion and Yorkshire.

The eleven week gap between rounds 1 and 2 would be sorted and they’d pretty much be going to all the best rally stages in the British Isles, save for a never-gonna-happen trip to the Tay Forest Park stages near Perth. The Lake District in autumn would also give the season finale a very RAC feel to it.

15. Likes: AndyRAC (26th October 2022),the sniper (26th October 2022)