Page 31 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
    Liked 12,210 Times in 5,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    Well now that Toyota and Hyundai are set there is no rush to announce anything. MSport will take their time as usual and they don't even need to decide the full year in advance. When is the Monte entry deadline?
    16.12 is deadline

When Ogier joined them for 2017, then the announcement came on 12th of December
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: cali (18th November 2022),seb_sh (18th November 2022)
    Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    For the championship I’m really glad we didn’t see Ott jump ship to Toyota, however if he doesn’t go back to Cumbria it will be a huge loss for all involved, understandable but he will be missed in the service park.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Kinda have to agree with that. Evans is struggling with Rally1 and Neuville never had the speed on fast gravel + makes too many unnecessary mistakes.
    i still wonder how anyone can look at the standings, see a 12 point gap between 2 drivers in the same car at the end of the season, a gap that could have easily been reversed, and think: this one driver can take on rovanpera, but this other one surely can't.

5. Likes: Rallyper (18th November 2022),steve.mandzij (18th November 2022)
    Liked 290 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    i still wonder how anyone can look at the standings, see a 12 point gap between 2 drivers in the same car at the end of the season, a gap that could have easily been reversed, and think: this one driver can take on rovanpera, but this other one surely can't.
    If you look into the detail of that point gap only being 12 points you understand the difference of level of theese drivers, not saying Neuville is not fast, but only driver error that cost Tänak points this year was Monte

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    None of the two drivers were a threat to Rovanpera this year.

But I don't base my opinion on this year, but on how Neuville managed to lose 2017 and 2018 championships with own mistakes (and 2019 with poor mid-season) He just doesn't seem to have that last bit of reliability in.

8. Likes: skarderud (18th November 2022)
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    My takeaways so far.

So far, the sad one - If previously Toyota was always with 4 cars and Hyundai sometimes with 4 cars, then we kind of lost 2 cars - now both are with 3 cars.

The next potentially sad one is if Tänak retires or even stays out of full season competitor.

But, logic says, that M-Sport should not let go Breen if they don't have better plan (and I'm personally doubt that Breen volunteered to switch full-season to unknown half-season in another team).

Another logic says, if Tänak wanted to retire, he could do it and announced it already. What could be the logic to wait?

10. Likes: cali (18th November 2022),Corcaíoch (18th November 2022),flat_right (18th November 2022),pantealex (18th November 2022),seb_sh (18th November 2022)
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    None of the two drivers were a threat to Rovanpera this year.
    Let's take a look to Sweden Hybrid failure for Tänak - take this one away and picture is really different.

But I don't base my opinion on this year, but on how Neuville managed to lose 2017 and 2018 championships with own mistakes (and 2019 with poor mid-season) He just doesn't seem to have that last bit of reliability in.
    And it makes sense to never underestimate anyone, including Neuville, because he was not on the top step on the podium and the end of season. Or Evans, because he didn't find the match with car setup this year.

12. Likes: cali (18th November 2022)
    Liked 12,210 Times in 5,242 Posts

2023 WRC News & Rumours

Thierry had 23 point lead over Ott after Portugal and managed to loose with 12 points in the end

Interesting Calculations from est forum

If first 4 rallies not included this season:
    Tänak 168
    Rovanperä 149
    Neuville 133

If first two rallies taken out :
    Rovanperä 209
    Tänak 200
    Neuville 161

First half of the season Tänak earned 62 points and Thierry 80 points. That includes Tänaks 3 retirements in Monte because of him and in Sweden and safari because of the car while Thierry retired once in sardegna

Second half of the season since Estonia Tänak got 143 points and Thierry 113 points. Tänak didn’t retire at all and Thierry did in Ypres because of his mistake.

Fact is that Thierry got beaten 2-1 in overall standings by Ott during those 3 years together and we have seen the previous years how Thierry just can’t put it together.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 18th November 2022 at 08:59.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

14. Likes: cali (18th November 2022),flat_right (18th November 2022),meh (18th November 2022),tr4m (18th November 2022)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    My takeaways so far.

So far, the sad one - If previously Toyota was always with 4 cars and Hyundai sometimes with 4 cars, then we kind of lost 2 cars - now both are with 3 cars.
    Sadly indeed, at the moment it looks like we will have fewer cars than last year, but depends how many customers MSport gets.

If we are doing a bit of analysis of the teams I would say Toyota looks good they lose Lappi but Ogier is doing more rounds than last year and Evans looked finally better in Japan. On the other hand Hyundai ticked some interesting boxes:
    - knowledge of both Yaris and Puma
    - two drivers good on tarmac and slow gravel
    - two drivers good on fast gravel
    - only Neuville is clear title favourite

Of course losing Tanak is a big blow but the lineup has some logic. For the manufacturers title it's similar to how they won in 2019, for the drivers title they are going all in on Neuville but if he gets a good year he can be in the fight.

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    There's a fourth Toyota going free for the events Ogier isn't competing in... nothing announced for it yet, but I don't see that seat remaining empty...

Remember Latvala said his phone has been ringing a lot and I would be surprised if someone like Mikkelsen, Loubet, maybe even Solberg, Lindholm or a gentleman driver is in that 4th car at times.