Liked 330 Times in 184 Posts

Pacenotes magazine is no more

Copied from a post on the BRF:

Pacenotes Rally Magazine has reached final stage finish!

7th October 2022

We have taken the very difficult decision to cease publication of Pacenotes Rally Magazine.

Since Covid and the war in Ukraine, market conditions have changed, the massive increase in cost of production and distribution along with reduced marketing budgets, have added pressures to many businesses.

We are very proud of our achievements during the last 20 years and 198 editions. We have made loads of friends and enjoyed every minute. But, all good things do come to an end!

To our thousands of readers & subscribers, our enthusiastic and loyal advertisers, and of course our dedicated and trusted team of staff and contributors (journo’s and photographer’s), a big heartfelt thank you from myself and Beverley.

It’s been a blast, see you on the stages and stay safe.

Simon Mooney
    Owner / Publisher

Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Another rallying publication is gone. Are there any left? Rallycourse, Martin Holmes Annual went years ago, I recall Rallysport, there was also the official WRC magazine Rally XS......

One concludes there simply isn't the market for paid publications for our sport. And that tells you something else.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

I've subscribed to them all over the years and one by one they have dropped off the perch!

Having said that was a collector of the Spanish mag Todo Rallyes and that died as well so not just a UK disease. Looking at how many snappers there are out on WRC events and assembled journos I must assume that someone is finding it commercially viable or are they all giving it away for free on Facebook?

Liked 1,243 Times in 675 Posts
    Ha ha, I always used to wonder at the number of media tabards at national events; it never made any sense. Just where are all these photos going? Do competitors buy action shots of themselves, or for sponsors?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Whenever Ive posted anything on forums etc I'm usually messaged asking for images in return for a "credit" when they use them. I know there are competitors that buy prints still however its the exception. Even heard stories of people investing good money in software to remove watermark/copyright text rather than buy the images from the actual 'tog!

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Rally World (US), World Rally (one issue), Competition Car, Rally Car, the list goes on. Carsport is an annual only now rather than monthly. Rally Sport (Australia) dropped it's print edition a few years ago and is an online paid subscription news service.

The main issue is probably the levels of advertising - this should ideally pay the bills and clear a profit on it's own, rather than having to depend on circulation income.