Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2022 - Race 13 Hungary

For some reason I thought France was the last race before summer break, but I was wrong it is Hungary. This track would seem to favor Ferrari, but you can't trust Ferrari with their reliability issues, strategy issues and sometimes head scratching mistakes by Charles.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Reliability is killing them, strategy isn't helping, and now the (big) mistakes include Charles as well as Carlos. It does seem that overall the drivers are growing, but the team is still struggling, and at a lower level than quite a few others.

If they could turn around the reliability issues they might have a shot to put the rest of it together, but I think the added pressure is making them crack.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The talk of the paddock this weekend will be Vettel's retirement. Best of luck to him. Family is more important.

4. Likes: Mia 01 (28th July 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The talk of the paddock this weekend will be Vettel's retirement. Best of luck to him. Family is more important.
    Surprised and not surprised. Not surprised; it has to suck driving for Aston Martin. Suprised as it seemed he was going to go at least another year.

Porsche is buying 50% of Red Bull

It could be an interesting weekend. Chances of rain before or possibly during qually, but cooler and less chance of rain on Sunday. The various roll of the dice setups on qually vs race could be all over the place, and if we actually get a damp or wet race maybe even more interesting.

Major upgrades visible in the Haas of Kmag. Much more Ferrari styled sidepods, and a few other visible tweaks. They seem to have been the slowest to bring major changes so far, but overall the rate of development has been fairly brisk IMHO especially considering the budget caps impacting things. Many major upgrades through the teams, and a lot of refinement on the tunnel entrances and strakes at the front of the cars.

AM being quite clever with the rules. I personally think this is brilliant, but suspect they will quickly issue a technical directive that gets rid of it.

Photo from Albert Fabrega on Twitter.

A Youtube video on their "endplate" design and how the rules allowed a hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HT0qJs0ZPY&t=1s

Personally I think when things like this take place, they should at a minimum allow it until the end of the season. The same with major testing changes and such. It's F1 and teams exploit the rules any chance they get. Rather than keep writing rules with loopholes, they should consider how crafty the teams will be and write the rules to cover all bases. I don't like the entire "spirit of the regulations" argument.

Take this example. AM considered it, thought it out, designed it, and probably at least did some basic CFD or something to weigh downforce increase vs drag increase, and then produced the parts which might only be used at a few tracks. If they issue a TD and outlaw it quickly then AM lost the time and money for finding that hole in the regs. If they allow it until at least years end, the other teams would have to weight whether it is worth the time and money with only half the season remaining. Though I doubt this will have huge impact on downforce and it's far from Brawns double decker diffuser, it's this kind of innovation I want to see in F1, with teams clawing performance any place they can.

What does everyone else think?

9. Likes: Bagwan (30th July 2022)
    Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    'tifi

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    May the forza be with you

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    'tifi
    First in P3, last in Q1...

Congrats to Russell on his first pole; should be an interesting race tomorrow!
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    First in P3, last in Q1...

Congrats to Russell on his first pole; should be an interesting race tomorrow!
    Hey , cut the lad some slack there !
    He did the fastest first sector of all in Q1 , and improved his second sector , only to lose it to a wind gust in the final corner .
    That was in a Williams car .

That's actually pretty impressive , isn't it ?

By the way , did anybody see that Georgie boy taking pole ?
    As Murray would have said , "anything can happen in F1 , and it usually does ." .

13. Likes: airshifter (1st August 2022),Mia 01 (30th July 2022)