Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts

WRC Calendar 2023

Apart from the FIA & promoter saying they want 14 events with 8 in Europe & 6 outside of Europe, is there any news concerning next year’s calendar?
    Will Spain still be there or are they rotating with Germany?
    Also, does anyone know what happened to Mexico? they announced they’ll be next year a couple of weeks ago and then they taken away all the posts about it.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 650 Times in 312 Posts
    6 outside Europe would certainly bring it back to being a 'World' championship. Should be a good calendar.

3. Likes: AndyRAC (23rd July 2022),EstWRC (23rd July 2022),KiwiWRCfan (24th July 2022),WRCStan (27th July 2022)
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    6 outside Europe would certainly bring it back to being a 'World' championship. Should be a good calendar.
    But more uncomfortable to watch live all stages when they are half a day in different time zone. As a european.
    Last rally which was on complete different time zone was Mexico just before Covid kicked in. Some of us hardly remember what is like to stay up at night to watch rally.

Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    Acropolis Rally has a contract for 2023 as well.

6. Likes: WRC1 (24th July 2022)
    Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts
    While the Cyprus Rally is too expensive for the ERC: https://www.rallye-magazin.de/int/ar...rschaft-48788/ apparently the promoter & FIA are looking into it for 2023 in the WRC, according to this article: https://www.rallit.fi/ksml-rallin-mm...sta-kilpailua/
    the calendar will be known during August.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Apart from the FIA & promoter saying they want 14 events with 8 in Europe & 6 outside of Europe, is there any news concerning next year’s calendar?
    Will Spain still be there or are they rotating with Germany?
    Also, does anyone know what happened to Mexico? they announced they’ll be next year a couple of weeks ago and then they taken away all the posts about it.
    Mexico have signed a deal with the promoter. They'll be on the calendar

Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Skeptical about a 6-abroad rally calendar in terms of cost, all the more with some places not that good in terms of marketing (+ when we see the Finnish article, sounds to be 6 + Cyprus as there are talking about Middle-East and 2 American events). But if the logistics mutualisation between events is well done, why not but it would be even more than the most on Loeb’s era with a 16-event calendar (the most was 5 + Turkey or 5 + Cyprus). Already trying to get back to 4 or 5 would have sounded more cautious to me.
    With such a type of calendar, a 7-round WRC-2 program could be complicated to create for some drivers.

Cyprus is a non-sense to me with a Greek rally already there + a Middle-East one.
    And no rally in neither Spain nor Portugal is even more a non-sense to me. And all the more with adding Latvia whereas Estonia and Finland are already there.

Last point is that with what is evoked, the tarmac/gravel is even more ruined.

For me, we should keep absolutely as the core basis (3 tarmac, 1 fast gravel, 2 slow gravel)
    Monte Carlo, Safari, Finland, Greece, Catalunya, Japan.

Then add:
    - 2 tarmac rallies among Barum, Ypres, Croatia, a German one and an Italian one (Roma or San Remo).
    - 1 snow rally (most logical is Sweden at the moment but why not try something else considering some of the issues of the last years)
    - 1 fast gravel, most logical being Estonia (and else Latvia or Poland)
    - 1 slow gravel in Oceania (NZ logically)
    - 1 gravel in America (Mexico?)
    - 1 gravel rally in Europe, either a UK one Wales-type or Portugal (not really convinced by Sardegna organization)
    - a last one whatever it is.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (27th July 2022)
    Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    Skeptical about a 6-abroad rally calendar in terms of cost, all the more with some places not that good in terms of marketing
    Where's not that good? Europe is a sick man in marketing terms and is way over-represented, wouldn't be surprised if Toyota are happy to shift the other teams about!

A Saudi desert road event sounds good for the championship in variety and appeal. Don't know for entertainment quality, doesn't even have to be an existing event. (I'm sure Sulland is positive on a Saudi round too!)

I guess adding Mexico, Chile, Kenya, Japan, Nz makes the 6, if ruling out Argentina and Oz, but doesn't mean all 6 are delivered. Hopefully they don't give any TBA for the UK again, don't waste anybody's time. Though the lack of tarmac is sad, need to replace Catalunya at minimum. Latvia and Cyprus are... meh.

12. Likes: AndyRAC (28th July 2022),J4MIE (28th July 2022)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Cyprus...why? We already have plenty of dusty, gravel European events - and the Acropolis have a deal. WRC needs more tarmac, I've never understood the problem the FiA have with it. And I agree above about binning the UK.....until there is a proper bid for a mainland event, forget it.

My only concern is costs; 14 rounds is a lot for a sport struggling for manufacturers, sponsors, etc Going to 16 in the mid 00's was an error.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

14. Likes: HKSjbg (28th July 2022)
    Liked 228 Times in 119 Posts
    There were some rumours that Sardegna might be out and replaced by Rome.