Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    Liked 392 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dck1989 View Post
    Now that Spain isn't on the calender what is the best/accessible/economical European round to attend.
    I would guess Croatia could work well, the event itself is free and prices for accommodation should be reasonable. I also found the event relatively easy to spectate, then again it was only my second WRC event so my experience is limited.

Liked 138 Times in 82 Posts
    Now that Spain isn't on the calender what is the best/accessible/economical European round to attend.
    it all depands on where you live...

3. Likes: pantealex (30th November 2022)
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ictus View Post
    it all depands on where you live...
    Be traveling via Dublin airport.

Liked 132 Times in 46 Posts
    For me Finland has to be the best. Can be done a budget if you use AirBNB or the likes and the best rallying you will see in the world IMO. I've travelled from Ireland 3 times now, every time brilliant

Liked 5,529 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Portugal

Liked 331 Times in 107 Posts
    prices to greece from dublin are quite ok during september (around 160 pp) if you book early (2-3 months before) and the rally itself is quite cheap since access to stages is free

8. Likes: WRC1 (29th November 2022)
    Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Sarà la città di Olbia ad ospitare il parco assistenza e la base del rally. Proprio nel 2023 la gara sarda festeggerà le venti edizioni, di cui diciannove nel Campionato del Mondo Rally.

Note: no word yet on the exact route for 2023. It was usually signed by Tiziano Siviero (2 times World Champion with Miki Biasion) but he had a big road accident in september ...
    Last edited by Sergiow; 29th November 2022 at 17:14.

Liked 642 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    My thoughts on the calendar.
    Uh, so an enjoyable piece. First, my kudos for that, then followed by some nitpicking 'cause that's only I am good at. Quotes from your blog/site.

There’s only a few changes
    If they change three events out of 13, I wouldn't quite call that a few. Admittedly, rotating NZ out isn't unheard of but it's still a change.

And once again the calendar is 13 events long instead of 14.
    Calendar hasn't been over 13 since 2008 unless you refer to plans to have more than that. And if you do, plans are plans until proverbial fat lady sings.

and Central European rally seems like an interesting concept.
    Now, this comes down to a personal preference but I am firm believer of national rallies. I was to rant about nationalism but my wits got better of me and I'd rather argue that a single organizational entity will make better event than untried cross-border miss-mash. CET sounds like utter garbage of a concept is you ask me.

but changing Catalunya to Mexico makes the calendar appear more gravel-heavy
    Just my 2c and very personal opinion but rally equals gravel. Tarmac has a place in WRC but it has been and it has to be a minor partner. Now, what is minor enough is a good question but I am here to stir the pot, not to offer solutions. BTW: since I am on rant, ban RGT!

but maybe Mexico, Portugal, Sardinia and Acropolis are too close to each other.
    Until we see the itineraries, this is somewhat speculative but yes, you're right. Then again, Mexico is 3rd event of the season and Acropolis 10th, how much further apart you could potentially set them?

11. Likes: AnttiL (30th November 2022),pantealex (30th November 2022)
    Liked 585 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka View Post
    Just my 2c and very personal opinion but rally equals gravel. Tarmac has a place in WRC but it has been and it has to be a minor partner. Now, what is minor enough is a good question but I am here to stir the pot, not to offer solutions.
    I get there's an argument that the World in WRC means World class and not rallying the world, but how can {whoever} say they are the greatest in the world if they don't prove themselves on a variety of surfaces?

13. Likes: AndyRAC (30th November 2022),Corcaíoch (30th November 2022),Eli (30th November 2022),TWRC (30th November 2022),wyler (30th November 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka View Post
    Uh, so an enjoyable piece. First, my kudos for that
    Thanks!
    If they change three events out of 13, I wouldn't quite call that a few. Admittedly, rotating NZ out isn't unheard of but it's still a change.
    It's true that 3/13 is quite a big percentage, while usually calendar changed only one rally at a time. But at the same time, Ypres and NZ haven't been staples of the calendar in the last decade, we knew all along they were just visiting the series for now (especially Ypres).
    Calendar hasn't been over 13 since 2008 unless you refer to plans to have more than that. And if you do, plans are plans until proverbial fat lady sings.
    Yeah, like I explain later in the article, already in 2016 China was on the calendar, 2019 Australia and then the whole 2020 calendar...they've tried it for a while now. Although in those years the actual calendar was 14 events, just events got canceled for force majeure reasons, for 2023 it was just rumors of a fourteenth event.

15. Likes: jonkka (30th November 2022)