Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2022 - Race 9 Canada

Quick turnaround as F1 travels to Canada. No rest and recovery for Hamilton and his back.

The last time the Canada Grand Prix was run it was a battle between Hamilton (1), Vettel (2), and Leclerc (3). Bottas and Max trailed significantly.

Riciardo had a pretty good result for Renault. Perez didn't do so well.

Perez will probably need a Max DNF and a win to get back into the championship hunt.

Leclerc needs Sainz to take out Max and Checo.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    That Merc sure looks hard on the driver without a doubt. The amount of bottoming is probably brutal on a bumpy track.

Canada does seem to give us some strange races at times, and I hope this year is no exception. It's a decent track with some variety so usually more fun to watch than a lot of other tracks IMO.

As for Sainz taking out Max and Checo, usually his qually performance puts him in the perfect position for a Bottas double elimination torpedo.

Speaking of Sainz, I think he is just out of the game mentally now. During the walk back to the pits after the Baku retirement he lust looked in another world, kind of that stare of disbelief. I hope he comes to grips with things soon, but it seems to be really taking a toll on him.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Let's go from a street track that is bumpy and beats up the drivers. To a park track that's bumpy and beats up the drivers. Good luck everyone!

4. Likes: airshifter (14th June 2022),pantealex (13th June 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Let's go from a street track that is bumpy and beats up the drivers. To a park track that's bumpy and beats up the drivers. Good luck everyone!
    At least the straights aren't as long, and the Merc drivers shouldn't get beat up as much!

FIA is planning on taking action

The FIA has today issued a technical directive to teams advising them it will conduct more detailed inspections of the designs of their cars’ floors and how they wear during sessions.

It also promised to set a limit on the vertical movement of cars, to prevent drivers experiencing an unacceptably painful ride and risking injury.
    I interpret to mean that if a team does not meet their vertical movement specification (whatever that may be), the offending team will have to adjust their ride height so they are within limits and take the associated performance hit. This could have a significant impact on the mid-field.

7. Likes: airshifter (17th June 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    FIA is planning on taking action

I interpret to mean that if a team does not meet their vertical movement specification (whatever that may be), the offending team will have to adjust their ride height so they are within limits and take the associated performance hit. This could have a significant impact on the mid-field.
    Hard to say how this will pan out. Today in FP2 Sainz seemed to still have a lot more porpoising than Max or Charles, but until we know how and where the set the limits it's anybody's guess really. My understanding was the same as yours from what I've seen. If they exceed limits they will have to raise the car 10mm, and if it still exceeds limits it can result in a DQ. All the conspiracy theories are already flying around, but in reality this was brought on by teams probably hoping they could just force rules changes quickly.

It seems the directive has short and longer term goals already targeted, with team and driver input involved at some point. Allowing major rules changes such as suspension would be hard, since there are budget caps. And it could penalize the teams who are closer to having it right now, with them possibly having to change aero along with suspension. Only time will tell.

Right now through FP2, it looks as though Max and the Ferrari's are strong. Ferrari, Alpine, and Mclaren are the only teams with both drivers in the top 10. Seb and Gasly made it up there as well. It looks like both Perez and Hamilton are struggling vs their respective team mates. It seems that the new TD might already be shaking things up a bit.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    This has some real potential to be crazy messy to regulate .

How do you measure this when it's happening at 180+mph ?

Are you out if the suspension does not allow you to raise the required 10mm ?
    What happens if raising it that much gives you a different issue ?

It sounds too complicated to me .
    I would rather see some sort of G-meter in the car , recording the repetitive aspect of the phenomenon .
    I heard that they were experiencing 8-Gs here , and that is too much .

If they were to exceed a specific limit for a specific number of repeated hits , they could be asked to make it stop with a method they so choose .
    They may do so by raising the ride height , but are not forced to do so if they can make it stop some other way .

It seems they are flying too close to the sun , and they could use a light meter .

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Dawgz! It's nasty in Montreal

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    May the forza be with you

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Looks like Mc'Zo is on it. I hope he keeps it goingchrome_screenshot_1655577502460.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post

How do you measure this when it's happening at 180+mph ?
    Likely they would measure it with an accelerometer located near the driver seat. The can convert the acceleration to displacement. They can also choose to filter certain frequency components out if needed. The trick will be filtering stuff out like hitting curbs, or bumps from the porpoising. Could be tricky depending on what the porpoising frequency is. But I suppose they could just use the high speed straights and exclude everthing else.