Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,250 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    I also believe those at the top are happy with the state of things. 10 Rally1 cars is just about right and they make most of them run, they're not calling for more manufacturers. Happy days!
    If they're happy then it doesn't say much for them - or their ambition for the sport. It could/ should be so much better.....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

2. Likes: WRCStan (31st May 2022)
    Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Most other world championships would be cancelled if only 10 contestants would come.
    And who are the ones at the top that are happy? Top of FIA, top of manufacturers or other tops?

The 2 things I would changed in the description are:

1. change distance to; from min 300km to max 500 km.
    2. overlap btw stages of at least 25 cars, instead of 15. We need time to see top 5-10 drivers in WRC2 in all live.

Maybe some adjustment in how often they should have service, after talking with the teams and privateers.

Liked 1,460 Times in 834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Most other world championships would be cancelled if only 10 contestants would come.
    And who are the ones at the top that are happy? Top of FIA, top of manufacturers or other tops?

2. overlap btw stages of at least 25 cars, instead of 15. We need time to see top 5-10 drivers in WRC2 in all live.

Maybe some adjustment in how often they should have service, after talking with the teams and privateers.
    And maybe bring someone who knows more than only saying each day of each rally this year:’welcome to the hybrid era/the first time on gravel/tarmac/snow/sand/super special stage in this hybrid era’.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 598 Times in 319 Posts

10-15 is about perfect for the entertainment package that Rally1 is, not overall. Double the Rally1s loosely doubles the live TV shows length, which I guess is their biggest earner, and the WRC+ output. There's no demand for it! Inclusion of WRC2 anywhere in live coverage is for Promoter's convenience only, they haven't paid the fees to earn the coverage, it's also too many entrants for the same reasons. The 300-350km rule is a joke anyway when 5/9 events this season haven't met it.

FIA/Promoter are the happy guys at the top. They make money off the entrants and the rallies, then sell these to alllive viewers and broadcasters, then they sell the viewers to their sponsors, and sell the entrants to their commercial partners (tyres, fuel). They tell the entrants when to turn up to face the media, fine them when they don't toe the line, ban them from having sponsors that clash with theirs. Forced hybrid, the FIA/Promoter's fight for their own financial/commercial purpose - maybe Ford cared but of the manufacturers that actually bothered to enter, Toyota don't and now we prove Hyundai don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WRC Promoter GmbH About Us
    WRC Promoter GmbH is responsible for all commercial aspects of the FIA World and FIA European Rally Championships, including TV production and the marketing of global media and sponsorship rights. It also has responsibility to increase competitor numbers and to propose the venues that form the WRC and ERC calendars.
    Read that last sentence as, "it also has responsibility to increase revenue for the FIA from competitors and venues." Find me a good example where they are there for the growth and improvement of the sport. It's bobbins!

I agree with AndyRAC, it could and should be so much better. Whilst it's OK to dream what we want to see, it's pointless if we can't also be realistic. Promoter is pushing Rally1 down the spec cup road. No sign yet that this isn't working for them or that they see trouble ahead.

For me, I see identity problems with FIAs own rules that say 4 manufacturers are needed to justify a World Championship. Rally1's are single-build competition cars, without a demonstrable production requirement, yet they have to be built by a production manufacturer for a manufacturers championship. Rally2-5s have to be series produced yet there's no manufacturers championship nor manufacturers entering. Absolute joke. FIA Sporting and Rally departments need to sit down and decide WTF it is and be real with us.

6. Likes: steve.mandzij (31st May 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

In 2017 the maximum length of an event was still 500 km but not many rallies made it longer than needed. Every stage costs money.

And your second demand makes it even harder.

8. Likes: cali (1st June 2022),pantealex (1st June 2022)
    Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    This is really getting out of hands! Has anyone written to some admins or moderators?

10. Likes: AndyRAC (8th June 2022),cali (8th June 2022),dimviii (8th June 2022),Eli (8th June 2022),pantealex (8th June 2022)
    Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    This topic was very interesting!
    I still think that there is "something" in the format used in (saturday's) Extreme-E, in that Sprint Rally Sweden Lockdown and in the UCI Mountain Bike Downhill championship. I know mountain bikes are NOT rally.. I know Extreme-E with pointless electric suvsISH are boring (plus their focus is on the "rallycross format" from sunday) but "the format" is interesting to the viewer IMO. I got hooked on the MTB DH in just one event on red bull tv haha watching it because I was bored haha

Liked 1,250 Times in 679 Posts
    EWS is closer to rallying than DH MTB; first stage on the Saturday evening is the Pro stage, which hands out extra points, followed by another 5 stages on Sunday, including extra points on the 'Queen' stage.

Anyway, the WRC formats aren't changing; it's what they've built the whole thing on. (Whether that's right or wrong is another matter).

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

13. Likes: AnttiL (8th June 2022)
    Liked 598 Times in 319 Posts
    Can I poll: how many people follow Extreme-E?

15. Likes: pantealex (10th June 2022)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Can I poll: how many people follow Extreme-E?
    Seems popular with the Rok family...

17. Likes: AndyRAC (10th June 2022),pantealex (10th June 2022)