Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts

My best ways how to experience rallies

I see the need of this thread after watching the "Oliver Solberg" thread. The way how to spectate seems to engage.

Maybe get new fans ideas how to spectate.

I certainly hope experts like my friends Hartusvuori and Pantealex want to share their experiences in this thread.

Welcome!
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    - Plan in advance where to go, watch onboard videos and maps, plan where to park and how long to walk
    - Dress well according to weather, maybe even pack spare clothing that you can change on if you are sweaty or wet from rain
    - Pack food and drink.
    - If necessary, come well ahead of time if walking on stage is needed but restricted
    - Go to location, wait.
    - Talk to other people on the stage, even if you don't know them in advance
    - Respect the marshalls and other rally organizers.
    - Watch rally, enjoy.
    - Don't litter, pack all the trash and empty cans etc with you. And if you notice something left by someone else, pick that up as well.
    - Go to next stage or home.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 2nd November 2022 at 14:14.

3. Likes: dimviii (2nd November 2022),Jewy46 (2nd November 2022),pantealex (2nd November 2022),ProSpec (2nd November 2022),Rally Hokkaido (3rd November 2022),Rallyper (2nd November 2022),seb_sh (2nd November 2022),skarderud (2nd November 2022)
    Liked 1,608 Times in 730 Posts
    When I had (read: I took) more time for watching rally on site - we did "recce" ourselves. You can call it "oldschool onboard videos"

This gives good insight what kind of roads they actually drive and later you can see, how and how fast they drive. You can not do it in every country. So, context Estonia.

It also gives you also good "iffy" places - once I got fooled by visual ahead me - going a bit uphill and you can see behind this hill another uphill road which gives you visual, that it's straight road. But it was not. I got confused and got a bit scared with my road car with normal speed. I said that we come here. We did. It was 7 off's there (if I remember correctly) + a lot of moments. And it was the exact place whrere Evans landed a bit off the road and injured his back (not in WRC, but usual South Estonia Rally or something like that).

5. Likes: AnttiL (2nd November 2022),Rally Hokkaido (3rd November 2022)
    Liked 797 Times in 379 Posts
    Bring a stopwatch (oldschool) or use your phone, then you can do your own splittimes.
    If its rallyradio, bring something to play it on so atleast the closest ones can listen.
    But, don't bring some big loudspeakers to drawn all around you with your shitty music, don't drink to much and always clean up.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

7. Likes: AnttiL (2nd November 2022),dimviii (2nd November 2022),pantealex (2nd November 2022),Rally Hokkaido (3rd November 2022),satnav (2nd November 2022)
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    Definitely recommend introducing yourself and talking to other spectators and marshals in the area. Marshals especially as they are then more likely to give you updates if stages are delayed, or they hear of any cars retired etc.

9. Likes: pantealex (2nd November 2022),Rally Hokkaido (3rd November 2022),Rallyper (2nd November 2022)
    Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    No one here ever worked as a marshal? That should be a WIN WIN for everybody here

Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmmjvss View Post
    No one here ever worked as a marshal? That should be a WIN WIN for everybody here
    I have worked several times as a marshal. It's a big win, if you get to be in a place where there is no one around and you can just enjoy rally legally from very close to the stage.

It's a pain in the ass when you are in a super crowded place and there are lots of drunk people who think they can do anything and when you try to tell them something, you get an answer along the lines "Son, I have been watching rallies since you were swimming in your father's sack. Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing".

And once there was a situation, where I tried to stop a photographer to be in a very dangerous place and he told me to gtfo as supposedly they can be anywhere they want and why wasn't I briefed about this.

12. Likes: AnttiL (2nd November 2022),cali (2nd November 2022),skarderud (2nd November 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skarderud View Post
    always clean up.

Thanks, I forgot this from my list

14. Likes: skarderud (2nd November 2022)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    If possible try to meet up with motorsportforumers on a good spot. It´s so much nicer...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

16. Likes: dimviii (2nd November 2022),satnav (2nd November 2022)
    Liked 797 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmmjvss View Post
    Many years as marshall, both at national and international rallys.
    Absolutely to recomend, nice if you can be 3-4 friends at a spot, bringing some comfort and good food.

Once, at rally Norway (2009?), me and my friends was asked to marshall a spot up in the mountains were they had put up sa "partyspot", that was quite rough. All of us has worked at bars and nightclubs, and it was like a bussy saturday evening before 12 in the morning in the middle of the mountain in february...
    Never understood the thing of going out to the forrest and drink themself shitdrunk.
    Then you have a alcohol problem.

Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport