Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2022 - Race 2 Saudi Arabia

After a successful race 1, F1 gets right back to it with race in Saudi Arabia where the winners and losers of Race 1 get to try again.

Winners

1. Leclerc/Sainz - Ferrari is back. The impressive effort all weekend reinforce the pre-season testing. Leclerc looks primed for a championship run.

2. Ferrari - no strategic errors and look like they have produced a great power unit (e.g. Haas, Alpha Romeo).

3. Haas - Magnussen finished 5th and Schumacher 11th. Guenther has to be very happy. I hope we now see Schumacher start to improve more.

4. Alpha Romeo - Bottas and Zhou in the points. Preseason they looked like they were going the other way, but they turned it around this weekend.

5. Albon/Williams - Nice drive by Albon coming off a year off. But the difference in results between Williams drivers makes it hard to judge where the team really is.

Losers

1. Mclaren - They just looked bad.

2. Williams/Latifi - is Albon that good, or is Latifi just that bad. I was really hoping Williams would make a bigger jump.

3. Red Bull - major reliability issue with their powerplant with 3 of 4 cars suffering problems. Major setback for Red Bull in any chances of being in the championship fight. Long season though...

4. Alpha Tauri - Gasly looked to deliver a good result and could have had 2 cars in the points, but the RB powerplant issue robbed them. Yuki is happy.

Meh

1. Mercedes - Give Mercedes credit for at least being in a position to pick up a podium and good points. But if their goal is to win championships - they are not in the same zip code as Ferrari at the moment. It remains to be seen how the budget cap will affect development. If they do get their car to the point where they could challenge it could be epic season.

2. Alpine - They look to be about where they were last year, maybe worse.

3. Aston Martin - nobody expected much, neither did they deliver much.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 20th March 2022 at 23:14.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    The steering issue that Max was having was caused by a track rod getting bent during a pit stop.

Memo to Horner - don't give structural analysis to intern

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    The steering issue that Max was having was caused by a track rod getting bent during a pit stop.

This whole thing still sounds shaky to me. I know some of the "experts" have made this claim, but they did a lot of cycles on and off those jacks during testing, with no hint of damage. He obviously didn't hit anything hard enough to bend it.... or maybe he did and it just wasn't on the camera's at the time? But I more suspect that they pushed the limits of things either way, and your note to Horner would likely apply.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post

Voodoo , for sure .
    Pins in the Max bobblehead arms made for heavy steering .
    That's obvious .

5. Likes: Mia 01 (22nd March 2022),Tazio (22nd March 2022)
    Apparently , the Bulls broke down because they were starved of fuel , not because they didn't have enough , but because of some connection to the extreme vacuum created under the car not allowing venting for the system .

It sounds like they are suffering from the same issue the Ford model T did before they vented the fuel caps , simple vapour lock .

Those cars suck , but it's an easy fix .

Through practice two the order at the top looks much the same. In the midfield things have tightened up and there are 12 cars within one second of the top time.

Yuki and KMag both have power unit issues, one early and one late. Both Ferraris tap the wall and Charles has a broken tie rod.

The terrorist attacks hit pretty close to the track.....

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Through practice two the order at the top looks much the same. In the midfield things have tightened up and there are 12 cars within one second of the top time.

Yuki and KMag both have power unit issues, one early and one late. Both Ferraris tap the wall and Charles has a broken tie rod.

The terrorist attacks hit pretty close to the track.....
    They got pretty lucky that the smoke didn't blow over the track .

A missile strike a few days ago sounded like a warning .
    Today's strike may have been meant to blow across the track .
    It was only 10km away .

It sounds like a dangerous place to be racing .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Sign of the times and close enough for me to feel that they probably shouldn't be racing there.... but we all know that the race will still happen, money talks. :/
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Apparently the drivers are meeting at the moment and the team principles have gone to race management.

I'm not sure what they'll decide but it's not worth risking lives if they thinks it's sketchy.

Attacks taking place at a highly televised event or just what the terrorist types want....

11. Likes: Zico (25th March 2022)
    Well it looks like the decision has been made to go forward with the race. Only history will tell if it was a good decision or not.

I'm leaning towards not myself.