Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

[WRC] Rally Estonia 2022

The Rally Guide 1 was published on Friday but it tells only a few words about the rally itself:

Our mission is to offer a high level of organisation, an unforgettable experience and extraordinary emotions to the
    crews, teams and spectators alike and we are exited that many innovations are waiting ahead in 2022 as well. At
    the same time, we are partly returning to our long-standing traditions. The Rally HQ, Media Center and Service
    Park are still on the territory of the Estonian National Museum, but after a two-year break, we have brought the Start
    and Finish Podium back to the heart of Tartu, to the Town Hall Square, which offers an unforgettable experience
    for both the audience and the competitors on the podium. The Powerstage is the legendary Kambja Special Stage,
    but in a slightly new format - the finish of the stage and the spectacular Powerstage podium are located inbetween
    the picturesque lakes of Leigo, where after watching the exciting finale of the the event, the spectators can applaud
    to the winners at the Powerstage podium ceremony.
    In 2022 we are welcoming the Estonian Rally Championship drivers to join in at the rally weekend. Round 4 of
    Estonan Rally Championsip will be run as a separate event where approximately 40 cars of the national classes
    will drive SSS1, SS4, SS5, SS10, SS11, SS12, SS13 after the first passage of the WRC rally participants.
    Nice to see Kambja again as the power stage, last year's stage was horrible.

Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
    It seems that there will be no compulsory fan sectors or am I wrong?

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToKu View Post
    No, you're not mistaken. After last years ticket sales fiasko it was the only thing reasonable they could do. Definitely going now myself as well.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToKu View Post
    There are no compulsory fan sectors but you still can't go and choose your own random place. There are 80 unique fan areas where people can go and watch. They are not available yet (at least I haven't seen them) so can't tell which they are, how they look and are they worth the money.

But still, it is way better than last two years which have been total BS.

5. Likes: cali (4th April 2022)
    IIRC the previous compulsory areas were made to prevent spreading of COVID-19, to keep same small group of people in the same place throughout the rally. If that is not a problem anymore, they can just let people choose which spectator areas they go to spectate on.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    IIRC the previous compulsory areas were made to prevent spreading of COVID-19, to keep same small group of people in the same place throughout the rally. If that is not a problem anymore, they can just let people choose which spectator areas they go to spectate on.
    Not quite so. The idea behind it was as a new innovative way to organize rallyes and thats how you avoid also traffic jams. As far as I've heard the initial idea was to keep this approach but last years ticket sales was a wakeup call and the system was ditched

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

8. Likes: AnttiL (4th April 2022)
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    That was one of those briliant ideas to stop an contagious disease. Instead of spreading people out along the stage, put them all close together in closed spaces. 🙄

10. Likes: WRC1 (5th April 2022)
    Liked 2,115 Times in 914 Posts
    brilliant idea or not.. I assume it was one of the ways to get the WRC event to Estonia and continue the whole season.

Was it necessary last year.. don't know. Couldn't go either year because of different regulations, but hopefully can go to Estonia and see the rally myself this year..

12. Likes: cali (5th April 2022),flat_right (6th April 2022),pantealex (5th April 2022)
    Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    I agree that in 2020 it was a good idea how to get WRC going again. Estonians and rest of the world were hungry for WRC and the tickets were sold basically in 1 hour.

Last year, when they saw the benefits (equally spread spectators in their own bubble, no massive traffic jams, fewer security on the stages, super good ticket sales etc) they thought that let's repeat but I personally think that people didn't like this format where you can't choose your own place. From 5-6 spectator areas, where you were allowed to go, only 1-2 were worth it. Also the ticket price was quite high for this kind of format. Would have been okayish, if I could have been able to choose my own locations but not like this...

Maybe you have had the same idea or impression but with WRC (or actually any other bigger event), you need to have the hard core fan or someone who is following a lot. That person is like the catalyst. Usually you won't go alone, you have friends and girlfriends, children and if this so-called catalyst feels that this is not worth the money, then usually this whole group of people won't go. But this hard core fan, who has usually been to previous events, knows that if there is no option to choose the stage, then they would rather not go. Or at least I felt this way and I think last year it was the case many times... Many people felt that this was not worth it and organized a gathering at home and watched it on WRC all live.

14. Likes: AnttiL (6th April 2022),cali (6th April 2022),EstWRC (6th April 2022),KiwiWRCfan (12th April 2022),sindroms (7th April 2022)

16. Likes: cali (29th April 2022)