Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2022 - Race 1 Bahrain

It is now race week with the first race coming up in 7 days. Preseason testing at least looks like it could at least be a three-way race with Ferrari looking strong.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I know it's only testing and next weekend could show a very different picture but yep, Ferrari looking pretty solid all round, Red Bull also looking/sounding relaxed and confident and likely to be up there in the mix.

Merc seem less happy and to be a bit behind in terms of drivability. Car looks too stiff to me in the lower speed stuff. Maybe its just a case of fine tuning, trying to find that fine balance between ground effect achieved downforce and driveability. I suspect they will find that soon enough and I certainly wouldn't bet against them, not over the course of the season anyway.

Hope Alpine and McLaren can also join the party.

Really looking forward to next weekend but half expecting to see a fair few DNF's.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Mick in his Haas was fastest one day .

Just sayin' .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's been a while since I've returned to the forum. And really looking forward to this first race. Love the Ferrari racing team

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    In a few days we will find out who has been sandbagging, and who has been pushing for glory laps.

Ferrari have looked fairly well planted since the first test. Likewise RB look to be well planted. Merc look to be a bit twitchy still, and I'm not sure the top end speeds being down was sandbagging or being beaten up by the porpoising. With all the brake problems Mclaren have had, it's hard to tell where they will fall, but all indications seem to point towards the top 4 spots again. From the looks of things the lower end of the field might be tightened up and no real blatant dogs to see. But someone has to end up on the bottom again, and the question is who that will end up being.

Driver lineups at the top still have a couple unknowns. Perez showed at the last race that he can race hard, and he did an excellent job slowing Lewis down. If he can find that fire through a season RB are in much better shape, but last year that consistent fire was lacking. Ferrari and Mclaren are in better shape, with Ricciardo still being somewhat a question mark as to why he can't quite come to grips with the car. And he might miss the first race if he tests positive again. With George going to Merc there are a couple different ways things could play out.... either two great drivers or a bunch of sparks as the youngster tries to fight for dominance and a chance to race against Lewis. It should be interesting to watch either way.

Though Merc are notorious for sandbagging during testing, there are rumors of a new floor and other changes for the race. I think they still have some handling issues to sort out and wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a couple races to find their form and see where they fall. It wouldn't shock me at all to see RB and Ferrari on the podium at the season opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Mick in his Haas was fastest one day .

Just sayin' .
    With Mick and Magnussen - I am really hoping that Haas can be back in the mid-field battle once more.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I fancy Haas a little. Remember they did not invest one piece of development into last years car. They have been concentrating on these 2022 rules earlier than everyone else. That doesn't come without benefit and they've already set the fastest test times in Bahrain despite some reliability issues. They may not end up as the fastest car but it wouldn't surprise me if they were mixing it in the top 6 come Saturday.

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I fancy Haas a little. Remember they did not invest one piece of development into last years car. They have been concentrating on these 2022 rules earlier than everyone else. That doesn't come without benefit and they've already set the fastest test times in Bahrain despite some reliability issues. They may not end up as the fastest car but it wouldn't surprise me if they were mixing it in the top 6 come Saturday.
    Hopefully it works out for them. I hated watching them tumble after a decent start in the series, but it happens.

I'd actually if the podium was filled by the likes of Haas, Williams, and Alfa Romeo for a change. It sure would shake things up if we had a field full of cars all capable of making it to the front.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I came across this - thought you guys might appreciate the humour

https://youtu.be/UIuhbQZUPeE

Through the first 3 practice sessions - there seem to be some reliability issues more prevalent so far this year.