Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    FIA are not banning Russian drivers per se, but there can be no Russian sponsorship or ties.

Great Britain has said that Mazepin (I also suppose any other Russian driver) will not be allowed to take part in any racing in Great Britain.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    FIA are not banning Russian drivers per se, but there can be no Russian sponsorship or ties.

Great Britain has said that Mazepin (I also suppose any other Russian driver) will not be allowed to take part in any racing in Great Britain.
    It might be interesting to see how this plays out now.

The FIA have decided that Russian drivers can compete under a neutral flag. Depending on contract specifics, Great Britain might not have any choice in the matter.

I suspect as much as anything they are trying to minimize the threat of Mazepin winning the British GP.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    It might be interesting to see how this plays out now.

The FIA have decided that Russian drivers can compete under a neutral flag. Depending on contract specifics, Great Britain might not have any choice in the matter.

I suspect as much as anything they are trying to minimize the threat of Mazepin winning the British GP.
    It is being reported by sky sports that Mazepin is leaving Haas.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    It is being reported by sky sports that Mazepin is leaving Haas.

Yeah I've seen that after I posted. I did look and I don't know if there is any precedent over what a country can prohibit individual of the FIA without breaching FIA protocols. In short, wondering if a country could lose a race or face penalties if they ban one driver.

And as much as I think he's been fairly useless, quite a blow to Mazepin. He didn't start any wars, and managed to bring enough money in to get a ride out of the deal.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Yeah I've seen that after I posted. I did look and I don't know if there is any precedent over what a country can prohibit individual of the FIA without breaching FIA protocols. In short, wondering if a country could lose a race or face penalties if they ban one driver.

And as much as I think he's been fairly useless, quite a blow to Mazepin. He didn't start any wars, and managed to bring enough money in to get a ride out of the deal.
    Mazepin was useless, his presence on the grid was a waste of a seat. I agree it's harsh on him but he was not there for his talents. I'm happy he's gone. Hopefully Haas will give the seat to a deserving driver.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

He was not fired because he is Russian , but because his dad's money was cut off .
    He was there because he brought money , and now it's gone , so he is , too .

He got a lot of stick because of being a "pay driver" , but we need to remember that the rest of the guys on the grid aren't slow , and he was in the slowest car , so was never going to set the world on fire .
    That said , he didn't really belong .

Understood Bagwan. What I was speaking of is the UK ban that had already been stated. I'm not sure if it's that easy or if the FIA has a say in things.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Understood Bagwan. What I was speaking of is the UK ban that had already been stated. I'm not sure if it's that easy or if the FIA has a say in things.
    Yeah , all I was saying was that it was all academic , as he was fired because he lost his funding .

Certainly , there is now a need for the FIA to sit down with all it's members to work out a solution to this situation where a member of the group speaks for itself against the policy of the whole .

This could be a fundamental "deal breaker" moment for the group , and I do hope they are treating it that way .

F1 , itself is at risk .

Apparently the FIA has asked all drivers from Russia or Belarus to sign a specific contract, with details of the "neutral flag" and identification issues and such.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/fia-r...usian-drivers/

Beyond showing no flags or symbols of the country, it goes in depth with a clause about possible further measures.

A team has already exited the WEC due to not signing the agreement. Daniil Kvyat would have been one of the drivers.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. I'm guessing no motorsport team had a hand in Putin's decisions, and a neutral flag is one thing. I understand removing livery and major symbols of a country, but a small patch or something isn't hurting anything. You can't change the country a driver represents regardless of the actions of said countries leadership.

But at the same time they are essentially saying further decisions could be made, leaving them somewhat in limbo as to whether they could make it through a a season even if they accept the full provisions of the neutrality part.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Apparently the FIA has asked all drivers from Russia or Belarus to sign a specific contract, with details of the "neutral flag" and identification issues and such.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/fia-r...usian-drivers/

Beyond showing no flags or symbols of the country, it goes in depth with a clause about possible further measures.

A team has already exited the WEC due to not signing the agreement. Daniil Kvyat would have been one of the drivers.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. I'm guessing no motorsport team had a hand in Putin's decisions, and a neutral flag is one thing. I understand removing livery and major symbols of a country, but a small patch or something isn't hurting anything. You can't change the country a driver represents regardless of the actions of said countries leadership.

But at the same time they are essentially saying further decisions could be made, leaving them somewhat in limbo as to whether they could make it through a a season even if they accept the full provisions of the neutrality part.

While I'm totally not cool with what has happened in Ukraine, I'm of the opinion that sport should not be used as a platform for geo politics in any way shape or form and should be 100% neutral like it largely used to be.

I remember FIFA banning the wearing of poppies a few years ago as it was deemed a political statement... I don't feel that it is but that is beside the point. Then all of that changed when the Gay pride and BLM virtue signalling came in... and also into F1.

We are bombarded with it on social media daily, can't we all at least have one part of our lives free and untainted by it and can enjoy sport without all that BS?

The football game played in no mans land between the German and British soldiers on Christmas day during WW1 comes to mind for some reason.
    Probably the putting aside of their differences that strikes a chord with me. There is something quite moving about that.

We don't punish children for the sins of their parents because its clearly wrong.... and in my humble opinion, this is also wrong.
    Last edited by Zico; 8th March 2022 at 23:14.