Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2022 - Race 17 Russia

How soon before F1 announces the cancellation of the Russian GP?

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Well, maybe never. The FIA doesn't seem to get into the political nature of thing much. If it did, we wouldn't be racing in a number of places as is.

If the various European governments put sanctions on Russia, it won't be in the F1 hands.

But we will see in the coming days what actually happens. Russia owes a lot of money to Western European banks so even though there has been tough talk, walking the walk will be much harder to do.

Well, they held the race in 2014, so I'm not expecting much to change.

Sanctions against a government entity is not sanctions against all citizens. Unless a government restricts travels of the athletes (drivers) then I suspect the race would just run as normal.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    There's a long way to go yet before the race. But then they are still going ahead with the Champions League final and that is in May I think.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There's a long way to go yet before the race. But then they are still going ahead with the Champions League final and that is in May I think.
    Short of major turmoil in the regions that host the sport, they seem to just roll with the instabilities and go ahead as if nothing is happening.

It's been forever since I've seen you post. I thought maybe Pino had banned you or something.

If Russia invades Ukraine, I don't see any way that the international community will allow the Sochi race to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    If Russia invades Ukraine, I don't see any way that the international community will allow the Sochi race to continue.
    Just after I finished typing that, Putin released a statement declaring war on Ukraine and announcing the Russian would be demilitarizing the country by force.

At the rate things are going, the next Russian GP might be in the former Ukraine. The UN and the world in general have become nothing more than paper pushers, and I don't see any major actions to stop Russia doing what they want happening. They seem to be moving towards the ways of N. Korea with anything the world does being taken as a threat.

But I still wouldn't rule out that they race there. I guess at this point it all depends on how things go down. I've heard there are rumors that Turkey might be an alternate if things are too crazy in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    UEFA is about to announce the Champions League final to be moved outside of Russia.

11. Likes: truefan72 (24th February 2022)