Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 228 Times in 119 Posts
    Well Aston revelead actual car, unlike RB and HAAS.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Point taken on "things have gone bad already" , but I'm seeing trouble coming from curb hits as I can't quite imagine how they'll be able to completely stop them from slapping the top of the tires when a driver gets it just slightly wrong .
    It's probably fortunate that they will be running the 18 inchers , as it seems more workable with less movement out of the tire , itself , but it looks to me to still be a hard ask to keep them in place on all the cars out there .

I do like the look of less furniture on the cars though .

But , it looks more like a moveable aerodynamic device to me than does a mass damper , for example .
    It doesn't look like "open wheel" racing .
    When you look at the inside of the wheel, the upper flap will have quite a bit of support. I expect they will just make it strong enough to take whatever pressures they expect. Keep in mind that past years cars had a lot of crazy little fences, flip ups, etc that all looked very fragile but stayed planted at speed, until they impacted with something at least.

As for moveable aerodynamic device... I can't disagree that it is. I still don't understand the mass damper thing myself, as really it was part of the suspension, all of which moves and has been accepted for years. But the powers that be decide when they can and can't alter the rules so here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I've seen a few people mention on YT that these cars are just liveried up mock ups of the same 3 that the FIA produced and are not actual real chassis, that just doesn't sound right though, surely not..

Do you guys think they will have to be driven a bit differently being ground effect cars.. ie; much less kerb taking?
    The RB had next to nothing other than livery, and was essentially the mock up car. Haas showed some changes, not huge but at least the sidepod design changes and how and where the intake sits. Aston Martin seems to have shown a possible real car, at least most likely. Lots of changes from the FIA mock up models, and enough detail to make me think they wouldn't waste that much time if it wasn't the real car.

Every indication I've seen from the experts is that all cars will be much closer to flat and very low rake. And there have been concerns about the underside of the car and curbs, but most expert types seem to think that the overall ride height will remain much the same, and there is no great concern involved. But at the same time, they warn that just like the older cars, at times those limits will be found, but hopefully disbursed more equally along a bigger section of underbody, thus not as much isolated damage when it happens. The air flow disruption seems highly debated though.... I guess we will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Well Aston revelead actual car, unlike RB and HAAS.
    I think they did, and if so it kinds of kills the idea many had of "cookie cutter spec car" limitations on the cars. When compared to the Haas car the sidepods, intake area, undercuts, and coke bottle sections are massively different. I think it's a radical departure from what many expected to see, with more exposed floor section to work with, and obviously a differing angle.

That side pod undercut is much bigger than the mock up cars, as well as the Haas.

It appears the Mclaren has also released an actual car. Though no doubt they are still hiding some under the floor goodies, it's obviously not the mock up car.

Sidepods once again different from the Haas or Aston Martin, and it appears in detail shots that they have gone with a pushrod rear suspension. The front wing element almost touches the tire as evidenced from above. Wing detail also show "steps" towards the wing ends before the upswept sides, probably an attempt at molding air around the tire squish areas. No brake ducts to be seen, but obviously all those things will be added.

Some undercut on the side pods, but not nearly to the extremes of the Aston Martin. They aren't as wide as the Haas either.

Thus far, we are completely breaking the idea that all the cars would look so much more similar.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post

Every indication I've seen from the experts is that all cars will be much closer to flat and very low rake. And there have been concerns about the underside of the car and curbs, but most expert types seem to think that the overall ride height will remain much the same, and there is no great concern involved. But at the same time, they warn that just like the older cars, at times those limits will be found, but hopefully disbursed more equally along a bigger section of underbody, thus not as much isolated damage when it happens. The air flow disruption seems highly debated though.... I guess we will find out....

Thanks for the info. Yes it is a pretty major spec change, I'm looking forward to hearing what the drivers all think of them. Norris has said he prefers the old car but that opinion is probably only based on his sim work. If they are more difficult to drive then so be it.

I just pray that the next big Reg change does not go down the non IC electric route, I couldn't watch that. Hydrogen IC next, ideally a V10... in fact lets just make it a V12. The day they sound like a slot car/milk float, that will be it for me.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Though nothing is carved in stone until it is, it is looking more and more like the ICE will remain the same for the next regs changes. Electrical capacity will up significantly from the current 120kW to 350kW. This is interesting to me since they are getting rid of the MGU-H due to complexity. It seems fuel will move towards a "cleaner" source, so some ICE power losses might come into the picture. I can only guess that they think greater harvesting and increased battery efficiency will fill the void, with almost 470 HP available through the MGU-K.

I'm surprised they haven't made the ICE smaller, or with fewer cylinders, unless they need the current V6 to offset battery weights. But either way it looks like the ICE will stay in place in the next generation of cars. So we will see.....

Some supposed leaked photos of the Alpha Tauri car are showing up. They are crappy photos not worth posting IMHO, but they might be real. They seem to show a really boxy intake and fairly steep downward raked rear side pod, and the undercut is visible. If they are the real deal, it will be another different approach. I guess we will see tomorrow.

Liked 787 Times in 584 Posts
    Rumour has it that cars will need to be carbon neutral and compostable .

OK , maybe not , but just maybe F1 changes the world here .

Clearly , battery storage is not there yet .
    Formula E shows us that , and is a great foil for the big show .

Until batteries get there , the ICE is here to stay , but with diminishing power due to less dense , more renewable fuels .
    Mind you , they'll also sort new ways to make those fuels more efficient , so the size will perhaps drop accordingly as they do .

The whole show should run on fart gas .
    Methane is far worse for the earth than too much carbon .

I vote for V12s , run on fart gas .

7. Likes: airshifter (16th February 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Rumour has it that cars will need to be carbon neutral and compostable .

OK , maybe not , but just maybe F1 changes the world here .

Clearly , battery storage is not there yet .
    Formula E shows us that , and is a great foil for the big show .

Until batteries get there , the ICE is here to stay , but with diminishing power due to less dense , more renewable fuels .
    Mind you , they'll also sort new ways to make those fuels more efficient , so the size will perhaps drop accordingly as they do .

The whole show should run on fart gas .
    Methane is far worse for the earth than too much carbon .

I vote for V12s , run on fart gas .
    We have to prove proof of concept for a sustainable fart gas fuel supply. Being the only common animals that exist in all countries with races and testing might be humans..... well that could get complicated. Collections points at the sports bars where some watch the races or will this be a commodity that is harvested in home through ventilation systems?

Alpha Tauri AT03

Another reveal, and yet another difference visible without looking hard.

AT has almost square side pod intakes, and the side pod shape is unique as well. It looks as though they went with some undercut, but also a lot of shaping towards the rear, that seems to n indicate they are trying to manipulate two major paths for airflow. Not as wide as some cars, but falling towards the middle. Some of the detail shots really show off the two different "drops" in the body of the car.

The upper line seems to follow the slope of the halo down to the back of the car. The front and rear wings still look a bit generic to me, but maybe they are.

They had some white wheel covers shown on some of the early livery concept images, and I liked them. But I guess they got dropped at some point.

Williams FW44

Spied during shakedown runs, though not the official reveal yet. Or maybe it is... I'm not sure!

Fairly large intake on the side pod, but this front view doesn't really do justice to how much effort went into sculpting these things. As with most cars suspected of being "real" cars, the lower element of the front wing is suspended by the second element. This seems to be a trend. As a note, though the new cars have front wings that appear higher off the ground, that is mostly due to the lack of rake rather than major front end regs changes. The forward section of the Williams car has a much more rounded nose cone, while most others are essentially flat.

Overall, it seems that this car is very unique in a couple of areas. I sure hope it works for them, I'd hate to see the Williams team continue to struggle.

It seems they went to great lengths to terminate the sidepods quickly, and they are so tight you can see the bumps from the crash structure clearly. The downwash down onto the top of the floor section allows plenty of room for a more conventional coke bottle rear end.

Alfa Romeo C42

Another approach yet again.

It appears that Alfa went to great lengths on the side pods as well. It's hard to say what they are doing at the front, but there is a massive undercut on the pods, and it seems they are paying a lot of attention to the floor edges. The front wing seems to have a lot of intricate shapes as well, with some waves to some extent. It looks like quite a bit of this car is revealing more than most have. Only time will tell, but it looks great even in the camo IMHO.

I was one of the people expecting cars to come much closer in appearance with the new regs. I guess I was way off base with that. It looks like the teams all have varied theories on the flow over the pods and how to direct it. It may turn out that what we can see on top is more interesting than what they are trying to hide below.