Page 86 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    I think the working group only gained the power to act at the end of last year. Like you say, politics etc, and scrapping hybrid is a part of that and to address an immediate concern. They probably were thinking things through for a while before, combined with any new information since. Long term, nothing is bringing in manufacturers. I don't know what else they can or should do that isn't totally radical.
    Lets see if it costs current teams.....

Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Million dollar rallycars were going nowhere, very fast. Something needed to be done, quickly. Personally, making Rally 2 the top category with no spec changes would have been fine. I understand why FIA felt the need to protect some of the Rally 1 investment and keep a semblance of happiness with the 3 current teams. The compromise we got is fine for now. Further evidence is needed before drawing full conclusions.

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    Million dollar rallycars were going nowhere, very fast. Something needed to be done, quickly. Personally, making Rally 2 the top category with no spec changes would have been fine. I understand why FIA felt the need to protect some of the Rally 1 investment and keep a semblance of happiness with the 3 current teams.
    For 2027, the 3 manufacturers would need new bigger chasses, new engines albeit they've got one, new gearboxes... but still new cars. There's no connect.

There's a reason FIA didn't choose Rally2 or the +WRC Kit for top category, even if it may turn out to be just that.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    Million dollar rallycars were going nowhere, very fast. Something needed to be done, quickly. Personally, making Rally 2 the top category with no spec changes would have been fine. I understand why FIA felt the need to protect some of the Rally 1 investment and keep a semblance of happiness with the 3 current teams. The compromise we got is fine for now. Further evidence is needed before drawing full conclusions.
    Making Rally2 the top category with no changes would probably kill the regional customer Rally2 racing - the most vital part of rallying right now.

5. Likes: EstWRC (3rd March 2024),JAM (4th March 2024),Mirek (4th March 2024),PLuto (4th March 2024),seb_sh (5th March 2024),TWRC (4th March 2024)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Making Rally2 the top category with no changes would probably kill the regional customer Rally2 racing - the most vital part of rallying right now.
    Why do you think that it would kill regional customer Rally2? Genuinely interested to know.

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    Why do you think that it would kill regional customer Rally2? Genuinely interested to know.
    One thing is a manufacturer developing a car to costumers, looking at the costs because they have to sell it; the other completely differente is to developing a car ti ne a WRC winner, they cost limit to investe is much larger.

You could talk about cost limit ceiling, it works to buy a car, but not to buy parts or services.
    Three gears are enough!

8. Likes: Mirek (4th March 2024),TWRC (5th March 2024)
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    One thing is a manufacturer developing a car to costumers, looking at the costs because they have to sell it; the other completely differente is to developing a car ti ne a WRC winner, they cost limit to investe is much larger.

You could talk about cost limit ceiling, it works to buy a car, but not to buy parts or services.
    I'd add that even the speed of the works development is unsustainable for the customers. The privateers need stability and for them fewer uppgrades coming through the season is better.

Also the upgrades are not just to buy something and install it. Most of the upgrades also require testing, building of new setups etc. It's not just a cost of the new part but a lot more.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: dimviii (4th March 2024),JAM (5th March 2024),TWRC (5th March 2024)
    Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    I've just reread the proposed changes and must say I'm confused by the top speed reduction plan to limit costs.

Aren't all top category (or second tier) cars in recent history primarily top speed limited by very short gearing? In what way other than mandating shorter ratios or a electronic limiter could they reduce the top speed and how would that save costs?

Liked 290 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    I've just reread the proposed changes and must say I'm confused by the top speed reduction plan to limit costs.

Aren't all top category (or second tier) cars in recent history primarily top speed limited by very short gearing? In what way other than mandating shorter ratios or a electronic limiter could they reduce the top speed and how would that save costs?
    Only logical reason behind that i see reducing costs is maybe that engines are less on the limit and therefore there is less wear maybe?

Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    I was wondering, from 2026 the cars will use the same engine (albeit with a larger restrictor) as the rally2 cars?
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig