Page 24 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    It'll be interesting if they do actually reveal any numbers regarding their monetisation of their digital platforms. They've publicly revealed very little over the years regarding how well All Live has actually done...

2. Likes: AndyRAC (2nd May 2023)
    Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    It'll be interesting if they do actually reveal any numbers regarding their monetisation of their digital platforms. They've publicly revealed very little over the years regarding how well All Live has actually done...
    Very unlikely. Think Netflix still hasn't published any actually useful viewing metrics.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

4. Likes: the sniper (1st May 2023)
    Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    To be honest, I'd rather be more interested in F1 take than WRC. Just the level of effectiveness. Already when you compare F1 or the feeder series highlights on Youtube and WRC's, it's like comparing engaging content with bed time stories for the elderly.
    Since the masterclass was about OTT (= WRC+) then WRC has a big advantage comparing with F1. Regarding the WRC cars, that is not the area of the promotor, here it is FIA who is calling the shots, so that is another discussion. But regarding F1, just check this devastating article, "Jalopnik spoke to several fans who attended F1's much-hyped race in Miami. The verdict wasn't good for the growth of the sport."
    https://jalopnik.com/f1s-us-race-str...und-1850374011

“I don’t know if I had any expectations of Miami, but my biggest takeaway was that this race felt geared toward corporations rather than fans,”

“I had this bad feeling about it from the moment I bought my tickets,” he said. “I convinced my wife to swing by Monaco on our honeymoon. Miami’s prices? Blew Monaco out of the water.”

“But it was the first time at the track where I didn’t feel like I had anything in common with anybody else,” he added, his voice tinged with sadness. “I was like, this isn’t racing. This isn’t Formula 1. It’s a high-end selfie museum in a parking lot.”

In a thruthfull way, I do not think anyone assisting a WRC rally would make that kind of comments ...
    Last edited by Sergiow; 2nd May 2023 at 13:57.

6. Likes: cali (2nd May 2023),Jewy46 (3rd May 2023)
    Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergiow View Post
    Since the masterclass was about OTT (= WRC+) then WRC has a big advantage comparing with F1. Regarding the WRC cars, that is not the area of the promotor, here it is FIA who is calling the shots, so that is another discussion. But regarding F1, just check this devastating article, "Jalopnik spoke to several fans who attended F1's much-hyped race in Miami. The verdict wasn't good for the growth of the sport."
    https://jalopnik.com/f1s-us-race-str...und-1850374011

“I don’t know if I had any expectations of Miami, but my biggest takeaway was that this race felt geared toward corporations rather than fans,”

“I had this bad feeling about it from the moment I bought my tickets,” he said. “I convinced my wife to swing by Monaco on our honeymoon. Miami’s prices? Blew Monaco out of the water.”

“But it was the first time at the track where I didn’t feel like I had anything in common with anybody else,” he added, his voice tinged with sadness. “I was like, this isn’t racing. This isn’t Formula 1. It’s a high-end selfie museum in a parking lot.”

In a thruthfull way, I do not think anyone assisting a WRC rally would make that kind of comments ...
    It's getting a bit off topic, but it seems there's some misunderstanding.

I was comparing the coverage of events on Youtube, the highlights videos by promoters. Nothing to do with the cars.

Realistically you have the linear and digital market. The reason I chose digital instead of OTT is that when you say OTT you mostly think SVOD, but there's so much more happening than SVOD. After SVOD came AVOD, now FAST and who knows what will be next year. Plus all other options. It feels a lot like smoke and mirrors, when it comes to digital.

I am a bit confused why are you bringing up a single Grand Prix. Aren't F1 GPs organized by separate companies who have a deal with the promoter and ticket sales profit the organizer of the GP? I do understand the FOMO effect mentioned in the article, but you need to be able to milk the popularity while you have it. If you don't do anything, then you'll be starting the next campaign from further back as well.

There are plenty of not the happiest experiences from WRC events as well. Be it the passed out drunks at noon, inexperienced marshals, idiots on stage that get the stage cancelled, etc. My personal favorite would be paid road side parking in Finland and a very long walk to the stage. But that was years ago by now.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hybri...25-wrc-season/

Compact Dynamics' contract hasn't been renewed for 2025 and FIA technical director says it's a possibility run the cars without hybrid unit.

My suggestion would be to let the teams develop the hybrid units.

9. Likes: cali (8th May 2023)
    Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hybri...25-wrc-season/

Compact Dynamics' contract hasn't been renewed for 2025 and FIA technical director says it's a possibility run the cars without hybrid unit.

My suggestion would be to let the teams develop the hybrid units.
    That would be a worthy solution for a top category, but I don't really see the teams or any future interested parties liking that suggestion.

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/david...ould-consider/

An opinion piece by Evans about the future direction of the regulations. I don't normally see Evans as a person worth listening too in regards of such topics, but this time he's quite sensible.

12. Likes: Eli (9th May 2023)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Nope, this is way off.

Specially the point that you could buy so many liters of efuel for the money spend on hybrid reveals something is backwards in his head. Kinda like saying coal is cheaper than gas so we should all use coal at home.

If going for low cost then run Rally2 on efuel.

If going for max manu PR then go for full electric.

Going for efuel without hybrid while keeping expensive Rally1 carbon prototypes mixes worst of two worlds.

14. Likes: ouvreur (9th May 2023),Tanelv (11th May 2023),TWRC (10th May 2023)
    Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    "But what we have with e-fuel is an opportunity to genuinely change the world."

The words of a man who clearly has no clue just how horrible the stuff is, the damage it does to seals and gaskets in a 'traditional' gasoline fuel system, and how badly it will damage various components if you leave it in the car for too long.

It's the WRC's dirty little secret - the amount of engine oil that has to be thrown away to guard against terminal engine damage. A full oil change every service for every car using P1 fuel. Stick that in your headline, Davey boy. And it will happen in the Australian Outback, up the Zoji La pass, or any other obscure place you might pretentiously name-drop.

Hydrogen looks much more likely to be a long-term answer. Synthetic fuel is a stop-gap, and not a very nice one.

Liked 9,362 Times in 4,975 Posts
    I agree re hydrogen. Any other fuel has a seriously bad effect on the environment either in production or pollution.

But getting this into rallying just isn't going to happen as most car manufacturers (except Toyota) have gone all-in on EVs and wont be changing any time soon.

In the meantime rallying is and has to be as dirty as every other type of transport and e-fuels are just a PR exercise to cover it up.