Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
    Liked 53 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Hopefully for Hyundai there's not another Dieselgate. Situation is quite different tbh for such a comparison...

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
    Hopefully for Hyundai there's not another Dieselgate. Situation is quite different tbh for such a comparison...
    It's a great comparison when Hyundai N are going fully electric.

But Dieselgate Schmieselgate, they were done with annihilating everybody in WRC.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Here's a comparison between former and existing cars and what seems to be coming just to put things into perspective. The numbers are what I could find so if somone knows better I'm happy to be corrected.

WRC 2011-2016
    1360 kg with driver and co-driver
    global race engine (1.6T I4) with 33mm restrictor ~ 310hp
    limited aero

WRC 2017-2021
    1360 kg with driver and co-driver
    same engine but with 36mm restrictor ~ 380hp
    lots of aero

Rally1 2022-2024
    1430 kg with driver and co-driver (hybrid system is 84kg)
    same engine as before but with hybrid boost ~ 380hp + 136hp = 516hp when boosting
    less aero than previous gen but still relatively complex

new Rally1 2026
    weight unknown
    engine unknown but with fixed torque curve and max power 330hp (basically everyone will have the same performance)
    common safety cell, aero and center of gravity tightly controlled and capped, top speed capped (sounds like some form of BOP)
    design and car shape more open than previous gen
    Rally2 based transmission
    400k cost cap

Some speculation about 2025:
    Since they say that in 2026 the current Rally1s will still be allowed and their weight, aero and power will be reduced I assume that means they will adjust these cars to 330hp like the 2026 spec and equalise the weight or something close to that.

About the Rally2 kits:
    Current Rally2
    1390kg with driver and co-driver
    engine with 32mm restrictor ~ 290 hp
    limited aero

Rally2 WRC Kit 2025
    engine with bigger restrictor
    larger exhuast, optional paddle shift gearbox
    rear wing

They say they want to bring them closer to Rally1 performance so assuming the target is 330hp is it possible to get there with just the larger restrictor and exhuast? On the aero side it depends how much they limit the Rally1 aero, not sure just a rear wing will be enough. Also these cars might need to lose weight which I'm not sure is possible. This WRC kit only really sense if they can get them really close to the new Rally1. I've seen people compare it to the 2011 era RRC however there is a key difference: that car was a more expensive car downgraded while here they are uplifting the performance of a cheaper car. It might work if they can achieve the performance level.

So for 2025 manufacturers need to downgrade their cars by removing the hybrid, lowering power and simplifying the aero and they can keep using them for 2026. That's quite some work on the aero side and retesting the engine but you can then use the car for 2 years at least. New manufacturers or tuners could come in 2026 using the new Rally1 rule.

In the end we have to see the full rules written down but I think the key change is the performance cap. That was in fact what attracted a lot of teams to WEC, according to interviews with manufacturer representatives that i've read. They had a sort of guarantee that if they can reach the performance target they will be competitive without getting involved in an expensive development war. Indeed for this season some of the teams have changed nothing on their cars. The biggest changes will be made by teams that are having issues with performance or reliability. Robert Reid was at the Spa WEC race last year and is now at the Qatar race so maybe they're getting inspiration from there.

4. Likes: drive (4th March 2024),Katvala (1st March 2024),Morte66 (1st March 2024),TWRC (1st March 2024)
    Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I can imagine that it will draw more teams like Prodrive, Oreca, Iron Lynx, etc. when now non-manu teams can build their own cars. Also it will open doors for Solberg's project even without Subaru's green light.

Idk if it will bring more privateers (probably it will as there is usually 0 privateers rn), but it will for sure bring more crews overall.
    At the same time. Prodrive, Oreca, Iron Lynx and so on, would be privateers if they don't have manufacturer support.

Liked 2,129 Times in 924 Posts
    It is mentioned that rally2 wrc kit includes optional paddle shift.. Does it mean rally1 cars change back to paddle shift from 2025?

7. Likes: becher (1st March 2024)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    It is mentioned that rally2 wrc kit includes optional paddle shift.. Does it mean rally1 cars change back to paddle shift from 2025?
    In my opinion it is not clear from what was written in the plan and we will have to wait for the final regs in June.

Another thought about Rally2 WRC kit, perhaps the objective is not to achieve parity with the Rally1s but instead offer a cheaper way for drivers to get experience with a similar power to weight and aero before going to Rally1s. This might be them recognizing and trying to fix the issue with lack of options to get experience at top level for new drivers.

Liked 560 Times in 243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    Here's a comparison between former and existing cars and what seems to be coming just to put things into perspective. The numbers are what I could find so if somone knows better I'm happy to be corrected.

About the Rally2 kits:
    Current Rally2
    1390kg with driver and co-driver
    engine with 32mm restrictor ~ 290 hp
    limited aero

Rally2 is over 300, even the first generation R5s are aroung 310 if my infos are correct.

10. Likes: becher (1st March 2024),Mirek (1st March 2024)
    Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TWRC View Post
    Rally2 is over 300, even the first generation R5s are aroung 310 if my infos are correct.
    Yep, I read on this forum numbers between 310 and slightly below 330hp. But if the 330hp is the official statement power we can be sure that they will be more powerful than standard Rally2.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    Yep, I read on this forum numbers between 310 and slightly below 330hp. But if the 330hp is the official statement power we can be sure that they will be more powerful than standard Rally2.
    The power figures have always been officially far lower than in reality. It's been decades since since someone officially published anything close to reality

Even the very first R5 car (Fiesta) had roughly 300 Hp and that is ten years ago.

IMHO It will be difficult to level the Rally1 and Rally2+ cars but I expect the Rally2+ to be used mainly by gentleman drivers and not by many serious competitors.

Anyway about the new rules. Finally private tuners can build a WRC car. That is a breakthrough equal to a revolution in the sport. I am very happy about it.
    Last edited by Mirek; 1st March 2024 at 11:08.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

13. Likes: seb_sh (1st March 2024)
    Liked 2,129 Times in 924 Posts
    officially they are between 206-215kw..

Fabia rally2 - 214kw (289hp)
    Fiesta rally2 - 290hp
    C3 rally2 - 206kw (282hp)
    i20 rally2 - 212kw
    Yaris rally2 - should be 211kw
    Last edited by TypeR; 1st March 2024 at 11:20.