Page 46 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    Hm might be different in competition but for road cars it was less efficient than a comparable parallel hybrid, an Ampera in normal running was said to use between 7 and 9 liters per 100 km for example.
    Sorry, that's completely different use case.

Presumably the fuel consumption of the Audi was with a pre charged battery?
    Yes, I think so, but 50 kWh battery doesn't change much on the 700 km of range. I guess it can power the car for about 15 minutes.

Do you happen to know the approximate fuel consumption of a T1+ Toyota/BRX/...?
    The E-Tron has 295 litres of fuel, Toyota T1 540 litres. Both run the same stage distance so I guess the fuel consumption even without the battery is at least 30% higher. I guess the main difference is that the electric motors don't burn loads of fuel in anti-lag.
    Last edited by Mirek; 21st November 2023 at 16:49.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Sorry, that's completely different use case.

Yes, I think so, but 50 kWh battery doesn't change much on the 700 km of range. I guess it can power the car for about 15 minutes.

The E-Tron has 295 litres of fuel, Toyota T1 540 litres. Both run the same stage distance so I guess the fuel consumption even without the battery is at least 30% higher. I guess the main difference is that the electric motors don't burn loads of fuel in anti-lag.

Well if we assume round about 30% more, those numbers could be achieved with a parallel hybrid solution as well no? Anti lag wouldn't be needed either if done right.

Well if we assume round about 30% more, those numbers could be achieved with a parallel hybrid solution as well no? Anti lag wouldn't be needed either if done right.
    Why parallel hybrid? It's much more technically complicated and definitely more expensive solution.

In a parallel hybrid you need everything, what pure CE car has, like gearbox, clutch, differentials, propshaft, rear-axle release clutch, race-tune engine and on top of that you add electric motor and battery. When you use EV with CE generator and at least two motors you can skip most of that CE stuff, at least the gearbox, both clutches, propshaft and transmission hydraulics. On top of that you get active torque distribution between the axes which current WRC cars don't even have.

Just look what the parallel hybrid system brings to the current cars. It is very expensive but when it doesn't work the change in stage times is minimal and there is basically no fuel saving either, so what is it good for except for the word HYBRID on the banners?
    Last edited by Mirek; 21st November 2023 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Why parallel hybrid? It's much more technically complicated and definitely more expensive solution.

In a parallel hybrid you need everything, what pure CE car has, like gearbox, clutch, differentials, propshaft, rear-axle release clutch, race-tune engine and on top of that you add electric motor and battery. When you use EV with CE generator and at least two motors you can skip most of that CE stuff, at least the gearbox, both clutches, propshaft and transmission hydraulics. On top of that you get active torque distribution between the axes which current WRC cars don't even have.

Just look what the parallel hybrid system brings to the current cars. It is very expensive but when it doesn't work the change in stage times is minimal and there is basically no fuel saving either, so what is it good for except for the word HYBRID on the banners?
    Because a parallel hybrid works well in other racing applications.

The current spec system is hardly representative of what could be done with a parallel hybrid. It's as you said just a ad on like the WAE system in LMDh cars, but those cars are far from the be all and end all of what can be achieved.

Because a parallel hybrid works well in other racing applications.

The current spec system is hardly representative of what could be done with a parallel hybrid. It's as you said just a ad on like the WAE system in LMDh cars, but those cars are far from the be all and end all of what can be achieved.
    You can't compare circuits with rallying. On circuits you have ideal conditions. You have very high level of recuperation and you don't need any spare energy because the energy consumption can be precisely calculated for the event. You can never achieve circuit recuperation levels in rallying. You always need much greater energy carried by the car because you have long road sections and much more variable total number of consummed energy per section. You also can't use that heavy batteries beause the cars themselves are in principle heavier. If you put Formula-E battery into the WRC car you get a car which is definitely slower than current WRC cars and quite likely also slower than Rally2. You simply can not built the rest of the car within 500 kg like you can do on circuit. See the E-tron which has 2 tons with what is basically a Formula-E battery.

Anyway my point stays. I fail to see why pushing for more compicated and more expensive option?

6. Likes: cali (22nd November 2023)
    Liked 386 Times in 167 Posts
    According to Autohebdo Hankook is selected as WRC tire supplier.
    Last edited by AMSS; 6th December 2023 at 09:05.

8. Likes: EstWRC (6th December 2023)
    Liked 560 Times in 243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    According to Autohebdo Hankook is selected as WRC tire supplier.
    That is going to be interesting and exciting if true!

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    Nice. Something new
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -