Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig Breen

Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Not yet. Thierry Neuville can set outrageous stage wins, set the most fastest times in a rally or come back on a power stage even if the rest of the rally went badly. We still need an extra top gear from Breen and we surely didn't see that in Monte. OK, it's a good solid performance from a difficult rally, but the conditions were easier than usually and he was way off the fastest time on the power stage (team decision?).
    I agree that Breen hasn’t yet shown the last bit to go and win on pace alone, that said, if ever there might be season where outright pace might not be needed to win rallies or even the title, this could be it. The two ‘best’ drivers doing the whole championship are currently in the car with least performance, and who knows what reliability issues anyone else might have through the year. Simply being consistent with a couple of wins, however they are achieved could be enough.

Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I agree that Breen hasn’t yet shown the last bit to go and win on pace alone, that said, if ever there might be season where outright pace might not be needed to win rallies or even the title, this could be it. The two ‘best’ drivers doing the whole championship are currently in the car with least performance, and who knows what reliability issues anyone else might have through the year. Simply being consistent with a couple of wins, however they are achieved could be enough.
    I was thinking the same. Also Evans and Rovanpera could take points from each other.

Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    It's like 01 all over again 4 possibly 5 drivers all in with a shout coming to closing rounds I think

Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts
    I hope you are all right and we'll get to see a close fight between drivers on different cars as well, but I have the feeling the 2 main Toyotas will pull away... still early, we'll see.

5. Likes: cali (26th January 2022)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts

Liked 333 Times in 185 Posts
    I like Craig, he's an enthusiast who has a deep passion for the sport and its legacy. He comes from a rally family and seems as happy driving historic cars as he does the current crop of machinery. On his way up in the BRC he conducted himself with dignity and style and never courted the camera like GG did with his Vettelesque finger gestures.

Big pressure in Monte and it seemed to show at times however he brought it home on the podium and set his stall out for a good championship run. He might go all the way he might not certainly in '22 however I'm sure his paymasters will be happy with the start and in a year where all the teams are roughly on the same footing uncertainty could work in his favour. I find it hard to think that he will throw his toys out of the pram like some of the established guys might when things dont go according to plan as he just seems eternally grateful to have been given the gig.

I'm putting a few quid on him for the title anyways...
    Last edited by Sal yet again; 27th January 2022 at 21:06.

8. Likes: MarkT (27th January 2022),Rallyper (28th January 2022)
    Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    To me it seems he is the perfect second driver, who can get solid podiums, but doesn't have that top gear to fight for wins and power stage points. Let's see if he can find it this year.

Also one downside is that he hasn't done most of the rallies during the past few years. At Hyundai he did only rallies that were suitable to him, usually with a good start position. He hasn't started a single technical gravel rally since 2018.
    couldnt said it better, at the moment he also seems to me as the perfect second driver. He has the perfect chance this year to prove guys like me wrong.

He used his head well during Monte and got a good result, and this year this tactics can do the work with the cars being so fragile and if you bag constant points.

But the speed was concerning, i mean on friday he was slower than Tänak and Neuville with their unfinished and struggling Hyundais, whilst he was praising the car. And like someone mentioned here, the speed relative to Gus was also worriyng.

But okay, it was just the first rally and he hadnt done it for a while. I expect a top performance from him in Sweden but if the speed also there isnt anything special then its a little worrying.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

10. Likes: AnttiL (28th January 2022),becher (29th January 2022),Jewy46 (31st January 2022),TWRC (29th January 2022),wyler (29th January 2022)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    I think Breen will flourish, and grab his number one status in the team.
    Loeb and Monte is a special case, so would not read everything into one rally.

Even if Loeb is an amazing driver, the first rally of the rally1 cars is special, and the two other teams will catch up. But so far it looks like that Ford is the best on asphalt.
    Lets see how they all compare in Sweden, and first gravel rally, before we make hard assessments.
    I am starting to doubt my own asessment. He has not stepped up his game, to get to a place where fights for podium on a regular basis.

The level btw Breen and Loeb, has not changed much during the year. With so many rallies, and experience in the car, Breen should have moved closer imo.

Looking back in his history, he has not won titles or very many rallies. It also looks like the old Hyundai suites him better than the Puma.

I am guessing that the MSport team will take a full evaluation after the season, and of course have much more hard data to back up their thinking process.

Interessting times ahead in the silly season!

12. Likes: AnttiL (23rd October 2022),cali (23rd October 2022),Jewy46 (24th October 2022),Lead (23rd October 2022)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Quotes that Breen confirmed he will stay at M-Sport in 2023...

http://iris.cpidt.pt/publishing20/!s...20055&id=64711

14. Likes: Jewy46 (28th October 2022)
    Liked 333 Times in 185 Posts
    Hyundai Canarias hoping for a 2 car programme in next years Canary Islands Championship with Yeray Lemes and ...Craig Breen!

https://automovilismocanario.com/sob...ndai-canarias/