Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M5 View Post
    The FIA members have elected a new president, Mr Mohammed Ben Sulayem.
    The first non European president in FIAs 117 year history, so that was about time.
    But in these days where many speaks of "sportswashing" in regard to what is happening in football, and the world championship in Qatar.
    It is about how corruption bought votes to get the votes, and also how they treat people building the stadiums and other infrastructure needed.

I struggle to understand that our sport can let a person from a non-democratic state, even being allowed to run.

This is what wiki say about UAE:
    The UAE is an authoritarian state. The UAE has been described as a "tribal autocracy" where the seven constituent monarchies are led by tribal rulers in an autocratic fashion. There are no democratically elected institutions, and there is no formal commitment to free speech.

UAE is not very far ahead on human rights, equality btw the sexes, gay rights, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and the list goes on and on.

I do not like that they use international sport to whitewash the way they organize their countries, and treat people.
    Ben Suayem is probably a nice guy, but that in not the issue. Non democtratic nations should not be eligble to seek international office, and if they slip through, they should not be elected. In most cases for getting championships, they buy enough votes - I hope it is not the case here.

How do you feel about sportswashing from authoritarian states?

Your post really surprises me. Generalization is a form of prejuidice. You do not know the man but you doubt his integrity based on your view of his nation. WTF. How about you give him the benefit of the doubt as people from your preferred countries are proving to be corrupt and dodgy as hell. I can assure you that he cannot do much worst than Jean Todt did. They manufactured a Driver World Champion for the 2021 season, so this guy in my book, is a saint until he proves different.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th February 2022 at 19:18.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    From what I can see - most of the European nations are more authoritarian than democratic and freedom-loving.
    After Trump and George Floyd, you do not qualify to point a finger at any nation for anything buddy.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th February 2022 at 19:26.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    It really doesn't bother me that someone with a racing background has become President of the FIA, regardless of where he is from.

It actually bothers me more that they allow races in countries that still abuse many basic human rights recognized by the rest of the developed world. That falls on the government of the country, not the individuals within it.
    Well, those deals were done by the F1 management. Nothing to do with the FIA. The F1 management would hold a race in a brothel if they can find a brothel willing to pay to host a race.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th February 2022 at 19:22.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Really interesting discussion.. and a rare one where I really can't disagree with any of the points raised.

I was reading the other day that Bernies wife Fabiana Flosi is Mr MoBinSuls 2nd in command ie; FIA vice president.. which might well explain the slant the sport has gone recently. Maybe its not Saudi money.. is Bernie still pulling the strings?

Edit- Bin Suleyems alleged quote

Formula 1 rules dictate that the top three drivers in the championship must attend.

"If there is any breach, there is no forgiveness in this," Ben Sulayem said.

Asked to clarify whether he was saying Hamilton would be penalised for not attending the gala, he said: "Forgiveness is always there. But rules are rules.

Kinda begs the question, is he a hardliner.. or Bernies front man?
    That is a good question though. Is he a puppet? Can he wield the power of the office without backlash from highly influential people in F1? That is yet to be seen.
    William Shakespeare