Threaded View

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

New FIA President

The FIA members have elected a new president, Mr Mohammed Ben Sulayem.
    The first non European president in FIAs 117 year history, so that was about time.
    But in these days where many speaks of "sportswashing" in regard to what is happening in football, and the world championship in Qatar.
    It is about how corruption bought votes to get the votes, and also how they treat people building the stadiums and other infrastructure needed.

I struggle to understand that our sport can let a person from a non-democratic state, even being allowed to run.

This is what wiki say about UAE:
    The UAE is an authoritarian state. The UAE has been described as a "tribal autocracy" where the seven constituent monarchies are led by tribal rulers in an autocratic fashion. There are no democratically elected institutions, and there is no formal commitment to free speech.

UAE is not very far ahead on human rights, equality btw the sexes, gay rights, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and the list goes on and on.

I do not like that they use international sport to whitewash the way they organize their countries, and treat people.
    Ben Suayem is probably a nice guy, but that in not the issue. Non democtratic nations should not be eligble to seek international office, and if they slip through, they should not be elected. In most cases for getting championships, they buy enough votes - I hope it is not the case here.

How do you feel about sportswashing from authoritarian states?

Last edited by M5; 19th December 2021 at 16:15.
    Keep It Simple Stupid !