Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

What next for the three pointed LOSERS?

With the decision not to appeal, we wonder what is next for the losers of the 2021 driver's title? It would be a bitter pill to take for a seven-time world champion, would be willing to enter the 2022 season as a loser of the 2021 championship. It would not matter the circumstances in which he lost it at lights out of the first race of 2022.

Can he race in this series with confidence, deep down thinking that it may turn against him again in the future? Can he trust his team? After all, listening to their instructions not to pit was a fundamental reason for being vulnerable when things turned against him. When you take these things into consideration, it looks like it is very possible that hamilton's love for the sport has taken a serious bashing. He would need to be prepared to be a repeat loser to want to continue. As his ability is not what matters anymore but who to trust. He is without doubt the greatest racer on the current grid, it is a testament that they had to cheat to dethrone him.

It is a shame, but it is very possible that the 2021 season may be the last time that we see this incredible talent turn an F1 car in anger. And when we talk of this truly great talent we would retort the shame of the FIA, F1 management and Mercedes in their part in seeing to it that they bring his career to an early end.

On a serious note, if Hamilton departs, who would take his seat?

My money is on Ocon partnering Russell, with possibly Nick De fries replacing Ocon at Alpine. But l think Alpine may probably prefer to go with their own Oscar Piastri. But what if Alpine refuse to release Ocon? Mercedes may make a move for Verstappen or Gasly? Gasly would be easier to pry away from Redbull than Verstappen that has found a new love for Redbull. Let's not forget Norris who has really impressed this season. Like Ferrari, they would have two young fiesty driver lineups for the 2022 season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th December 2021 at 18:18.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Did I stumble into the "Coronation Street" subforum by any chance? So much pathos...

I don't think Lewis came out of this as a loser. On the contrary, his gracious reaction and sincere congratulations to Max have earned him some well-deserved sympathies.
    As a professional racing driver, he has dealt with defeats before and he knows how to handle them (something I'm not so sure about regarding some of his supporters).
    I'm pretty sure he won't be doing a Rosberg and will be back for another attempt at his eighth title.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

3. Likes: Sulland (19th December 2021)
    Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    I think Lewis wants that eighth title before he retires. He will come out stronger next season.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I think Lewis wants that eighth title before he retires. He will come out stronger next season.
    I agree. I expect that Mercedes will be back to having an overly dominant car (with the low rake design) and then adding in Russell. They will be running circles around the field.

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Can he trust his team? After all, listening to their instructions not to pit was a fundamental reason for being vulnerable when things turned against him.
    The call they made, in the circumstances, was 100% correct. If things had gone as - according to the regulations - they should have, he would have won. It is not Mercedes' fault that something bizarre happened.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Russel will not give in to team orders, he is the future for Mercedes. Norris will come on strong I think (and hope). Lewis will try take the throne ones moore, but if he aint near it by the end of the season he will call it a day.

Liked 1,131 Times in 605 Posts
    I'm glad lewis is not as sour a loser as his fanboys here.

It's over, so you better try to get over it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    The call they made, in the circumstances, was 100% correct. If things had gone as - according to the regulations - they should have, he would have won. It is not Mercedes' fault that something bizarre happened.
    OOh i strongly disagree. Things happen because you let it. If the tables were turned and Redbull was in Mercede's position, l am sure we would not hear the end of this until it has gone through all possible avenues to correct the injustice. This happened to Mercedes because all involved believed they can get away with it. They would have a totally different mindset if it were Redbull. The steely rugged persona of the Redbull establishment is not one that Masi would have messed with. The easily risk-averse and confrontation avoiding Mercedes on the other hand is one this sort of thing can happen to without consequences.
    It is not about fault, it is about which of the two teams are ideal victims.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    They had no idea that the race director would apply an unprecedented interpretation of the sporting regulations. If they had pitted, and things worked as they normally should have done, Verstappen would have won by just staying out.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The right call was made by the team regarding pitting or not at the time.

11. Likes: F1nKS (17th December 2021),truefan72 (17th December 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    They had no idea that the race director would apply an unprecedented interpretation of the sporting regulations. If they had pitted, and things worked as they normally should have done, Verstappen would have won by just staying out.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The right call was made by the team regarding pitting or not at the time.
    That is not the point. We have supported and defended Mercedes' position here robustly. The point is they have proved to be the ideal victim for this to happen to one of their own. Redbull would turn everything upside down if they have to, had this happened to Verstappen. Mercedes are a bit too nice and when you are everyone walks all over you. So without prejudice of any kind, my observation is that they are the ideal victim for this sort of thing to happen without any real consequences. I bet we would see Masi back at work next season.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 17th December 2021 at 12:31.
    William Shakespeare