Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Is anyone else getting a little tired of the "Will Lewis Quit ?" question ?

I picture him , sitting with his dog , eating veggie burgers , while reading a litany of opinions from every single person who's ever been related to F1 in any obscure way at all , giggling away between every bite .

I know he won't run out of veggie burgers , but he may have his fans start to lose patience pretty soon if he doesn't get his poop in a group .

And , if Merc doesn't really doesn't know what's going on , it's going to make them look really stupid before long , and negate the pile of publicity it has created .
    I would gladly pay to stop all the newsfeed articles on the speculation and how Lewis went silent on social media. It's not a life changing thing to me whether he stays or retires. But, much like yourself obviously, I think he's staying. Either that or he is going to hardcore punk Merc by not letting them know for sure.

But I don't know... rumor has it he is getting rid of his cars. Maybe he will pull a Mike Thackwell and get rid of all his material stuff? It's an interesting red while we wait for testing to start, and I managed to find nested in between all the stories about Lewis and Max.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/hi...-motorsport%2F

A quote from the article, which I find very true in todays age.

“I'm not vainglorious. I got out of the sport because of the vanity, the greed, self-obsession, the elitism and the lack of humbleness,” he begins before conceding, “but that’s me, you know, it was my problem because I couldn't deal with it. I wasn't good enough to deal with that sort of stuff.”

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I would gladly pay to stop all the newsfeed articles on the speculation and how Lewis went silent on social media. It's not a life changing thing to me whether he stays or retires. But, much like yourself obviously, I think he's staying. Either that or he is going to hardcore punk Merc by not letting them know for sure.

But I don't know... rumor has it he is getting rid of his cars. Maybe he will pull a Mike Thackwell and get rid of all his material stuff? It's an interesting red while we wait for testing to start, and I managed to find nested in between all the stories about Lewis and Max.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/hi...-motorsport%2F

A quote from the article, which I find very true in todays age.

“I'm not vainglorious. I got out of the sport because of the vanity, the greed, self-obsession, the elitism and the lack of humbleness,” he begins before conceding, “but that’s me, you know, it was my problem because I couldn't deal with it. I wasn't good enough to deal with that sort of stuff.”
    I don't really care whether Lewis retires or not. Like yourself I am keeping away from F1 news articles right now because it's just all the same speculation- I can't see him leaving Mercedes in the lurch as Rosberg did in 2016. They'd probably have to negotiate Bottas return or they'd be in a very bad situation. He's not that kind of person so I'd imagine he'll return.

I'll start looking at the news articles again once the car launches begin.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    What do you do when you are being talked about obsessively by the press because you haven't said a word ?
    What do you do if you like being talked about ?
    What if not talking was pleasing your employers because they knew they were not only not at risk in the situation , but getting the same amount of obsessive speculative headlines as you ?
    What if you were to seemingly use your new theoretical spare time to start some other projects , to encourage possible "moving on to life after F1" speculation ?
    What if you could use the moment to grab a "feel good" , starting some program for a cause , to push that "moving on" speculation ?
    What if you could let the press in on the ruse , for a small fee ?

I get why he hasn't spoken .

But , it's really getting stuck in my craw now .

He's just appeared in new kit , in the same ad with George , so steamingly fresh information has him staying put , and not outright screwing the team that has given him a car to win multiple championships in recent years .

4. Likes: airshifter (1st February 2022)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    What do you do when you are being talked about obsessively by the press because you haven't said a word ?
    What if not talking was pleasing your employers because they knew they were not only not at risk in the situation , but getting the same amount of obsessive speculative headlines as you ?
    What if you were to seemingly use your new theoretical spare time to start some other projects , to encourage possible "moving on to life after F1" speculation ?
    What if you could use the moment to grab a "feel good" , starting some program for a cause , to push that "moving on" speculation ?

He's just appeared in new kit , in the same ad with George , so steamingly fresh information has him staying put , and not outright screwing the team that has given him a car to win multiple championships in recent years .

I doubt Merc would accept being in the dark as to what he is going to do until the last moment, I think they will know.
    Maybe Merc also want rid of Massi and so are happy to go along with Lewis's silent game to try to keep the pressure on?

6. Likes: airshifter (1st February 2022),Bagwan (2nd February 2022)
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Hard to say what caused the media blackout, but it seems to have stirred them into a frenzy for sure. They would print just about anyone's opinion on the matter with a catchy headline.

And really the why doesn't matter to me. If he was going to leave, he would leave. After all the team has supported him properly for years, so it would really be uncool to bounce at the last second. I think part of it is political games hoping to pressure the FIA, but just as much is probably due to the part of the fan base that will hang on every article as if the end of the world might be near.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

Mercedes and Hamilton are just being douchebags about it.

It is interesting that Bottas now is speaking more freely about how the team politics and drama queen nature of Mercedes affected him mentally.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    Mercedes and Hamilton are just being douchebags about it.

It is interesting that Bottas now is speaking more freely about how the team politics and drama queen nature of Mercedes affected him mentally.
    Is he? I have seen nothing but good words from Bottas regarding Mercedes. Can you supply an example?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Is he? I have seen nothing but good words from Bottas regarding Mercedes. Can you supply an example?
    Bottas has said

It was during his second season with the team and the 2018 Russian Grand Prix, in particular, when Bottas was asked to give up a win to aid Hamilton's title cause that he suffered the first damaging strike to his psyche.

"There's been also very clear cases that I've been in a support role, and I would say, the first time when that happened, probably 2018, it was really hard to accept," added Bottas. "It was pretty tough.

"That wasn't good for me mentally, the space I was in mentally. As time goes on, you accept it, if that's the situation, that you're behind in the points."
    and then there was this quote

“I remember Lewis (Hamilton) and Nico (Rosberg) fighting very hard with each other and it even became a bit political. But when I arrived at Mercedes, I wondered why Nico suddenly stopped. But now I can identify with him. I can say from experience that it’s not easy. If you feel like there is a knife in your throat, then the mind doesn’t always work correctly.

I can say I’ve laughed a lot more since I made the Alfa Romeo announcement. It’s a fact. [My] Well-being has been improved to varying degrees in all aspects. “

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    So , it's a stand-off , then ?

The FIA won't give any verdict until the season starts , and Lewis won't say whether he's racing or not until he hears the verdict .

How stupid is this ?

Or , is it all part of the plan ?
    Let's remember that underlying all of this is that all this speculation counts loudly in terms of air time for F1 , itself .

This is not to say that they are colluding with Lewis , keeping F1 in the news , specifically .
    But , they do know they could end the drama early with some kind of conclusion , or any response at all .

So , it looks like they are sitting there , watching it all happen , looking stern for the camera whilst fist-bumping in the background .

So , let's not burn just Lewis and Merc for this .

I miss Charlie .

So , it's a stand-off , then ?

The FIA won't give any verdict until the season starts , and Lewis won't say whether he's racing or not until he hears the verdict .

How stupid is this ?

Or , is it all part of the plan ?
    Let's remember that underlying all of this is that all this speculation counts loudly in terms of air time for F1 , itself .

This is not to say that they are colluding with Lewis , keeping F1 in the news , specifically .
    But , they do know they could end the drama early with some kind of conclusion , or any response at all .

So , it looks like they are sitting there , watching it all happen , looking stern for the camera whilst fist-bumping in the background .

So , let's not burn just Lewis and Merc for this .

I miss Charlie .
    You could be right. I expect would F1 like the storyline of Hamilton coming back to right a (perceived) wrong from 2021. Build up the mystery of whether he is coming back to keep all the F1 pundits talking during the slow part of the year.

13. Likes: Bagwan (3rd February 2022)