Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Yep, I couldn't believe he didn't cover the inside forcing Max to take the outside, which would at least have given him some defensive options... compared to none. Strange indeed.
    To be fair, Mercedes and Hamilton were cautious to a fault. I thought the same thing with the line Hamilton took through the first corner. He left such a huge gap by taking such a wide line through that corner. I would guess that he did not trust Verstappen not causing a professional foul and taking him out. Even so, he could have made it difficult.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Fortitude (6th January 2022)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I would guess that he did not trust Verstappen not causing a professional foul and taking him out.
    On the contrary... the inside is almost always the stronger and least vulnerable position (in the corner at least) Even if that wasn't the case, he still loses either way, so that can't be the reason not to at least try to defend. He must have thought he had enough grunt to get back past on the straight.. and he almost did to be fair.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    On the contrary... the inside is almost always the stronger and least vulnerable position (in the corner at least) Even if that wasn't the case, he still loses either way, so that can't be the reason not to at least try to defend. He must have thought he had enough grunt to get back past on the straight.. and he almost did to be fair.
    True, but if it was anyone else, Hamilton would block and force the other driver to take the longer outside line through the corner and power out of the corner ahead. Much like he did with Rosberg a few years back. It was a matter of trusting the other driver to adhere to the code of mutually respectful driving. I think anyone would tell you Verstappen is a very dirty driver. He is fast but he makes some very dangerous driving out of desperation.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 13th December 2021 at 21:01.
    William Shakespeare

5. Likes: truefan72 (13th December 2021)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    True, but if it was anyone else, Hamilton would block and force the other driver to take the longer outside line through the corner and power out of the corner ahead. Much like he did with Rosberg a few years back. It was a matter of trusting the other driver to adhere to the code of mutually respectful driving. I think anyone would tell you Verstappen is a very dirty driver. He is fast but he makes some very dangerous driving out of desperation.
    Forcing him to the outside would have given Lewis the option to run him wide and off the track... like he did to Albon last year. So it's not like it isn't in him not to do that.

Maybe he will tell us why he didn't really try to defend it at some point.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

The best thing they could have done was redflag the race, but even then the fans of the one who lost would have complained about it.
    I actually thought that might happen.

In retrospect what Massi should have done, was early on during the yellow flag he should have cleared all the lap cars.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I actually thought that might happen.

In retrospect what Massi should have done, was early on during the yellow flag he should have cleared all the lap cars.
    According to the regulations, he is not allowed to clear the lapped cars until all work at the incident site has been completed. The earliest he was allowed to do it was when he actually did it.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,131 Times in 605 Posts
    To be fair, Mercedes and Hamilton were cautious to a fault. I thought the same thing with the line Hamilton took through the first corner. He left such a huge gap by taking such a wide line through that corner. I would guess that he did not trust Verstappen not causing a professional foul and taking him out. Even so, he could have made it difficult.
    He had nothing to be cautious about, if Verstappen passed him it was all over. If he kept the inside he could have just pushed him off track. Although there was ofcourse this new rule in this race for the first time, that allows you to just cut the corner and get a big advantage. Perhaps he feared max would just cut the corner like lewis did.

Anyway, i'm still suprised at how easily lewis let him past.

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    He had nothing to be cautious about, if Verstappen passed him it was all over. If he kept the inside he could have just pushed him off track. Although there was ofcourse this new rule in this race for the first time, that allows you to just cut the corner and get a big advantage. Perhaps he feared max would just cut the corner like lewis did.

Anyway, i'm still suprised at how easily lewis let him past.
    I don't think that moment would have made any difference. Verstappen would have passed eventually with fresher tyres or crash into him while trying to pass and won the race and title anyway. Hamilton knew that.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Farcical? No, I don't think so. Everyone is seeing the real Max - a jerk on and off the track. Its not a knock its just the way it is. Hamilton had to react to an aggressive driver. My fear is with this win Max will keep driving that way and bringing his career into disrepute.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 1,131 Times in 605 Posts
    I don't think that moment would have made any difference. Verstappen would have passed eventually with fresher tyres or crash into him while trying to pass and won the race and title anyway. Hamilton knew that.
    Crashing into each other would have given him more chance than just letting max overtake. Contact is always a throw of the dice.

And i do think hamilton could have kept verstappen behind. Definitely on that straight, but perhaps even to the end.

As i said, after seeing how perez defended, i feel hamilton could have done a lot better here. Sure, it could have ended in an accident, but that would have given him at least more of a chance.