Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Crashing into each other would have given him more chance than just letting max overtake. Contact is always a throw of the dice.

And i do think hamilton could have kept verstappen behind. Definitely on that straight, but perhaps even to the end.

As i said, after seeing how perez defended, i feel hamilton could have done a lot better here. Sure, it could have ended in an accident, but that would have given him at least more of a chance.
    Come on. If they crash, Verstappen wins automatically on count-back because he had more wins even though they are on equal points. I am happy he did not fight it much. Because fighting harder would have given credit to the fixed title handover. You would be arguing that there was a fair fight but Hamilton lost because Verstappen was too good for him.

While the truth was, Redbull and Verstappen needed a helping hand from Masi and Masi duly provided it. If Masi had gone by the rules, there would be very little chance for Verstappen to win it. AND YOU KNOW IT AS DO EVERYONE AT THE FIA AND F1 MANAGEMENT.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th December 2021 at 22:37.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    As i said, after seeing how perez defended, i feel hamilton could have done a lot better here. Sure, it could have ended in an accident, but that would have given him at least more of a chance.
    Low fuel or not, how was a driver on 30+ lap old hards meant to keep a car that was basically in qualifying hot lap trim behind him?

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    No matter how it happened and how, it is very good for the sport to get a new champ.
    It is never good when one driver/car combo rules the world too long.

I have followed F1 since the early 80s, and have been away for many years, since there har become to big of a time difference btw the top and bottom of the field.

I am glad I did not switch channel last sunday, when it looked done and dusted after a few laps and Hamilton was the fastest.

I use more time to follow Rally and Moto GP these days, since it is a better show.
    Maybe new cars in 22 will change that, but I am guessing the moneygap btw top and bottom team will make sure we are back to status quo by the end of nest year.

maybe the money prices from FIA need to be swapped, so that the bottom teams get most to try to even the field a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    No matter how it happened and how, it is very good for the sport to get a new champ.
    It is never good when one driver/car combo rules the world too long.

I have followed F1 since the early 80s, and have been away for many years, since there har become to big of a time difference btw the top and bottom of the field.

I am glad I did not switch channel last sunday, when it looked done and dusted after a few laps and Hamilton was the fastest.

I use more time to follow Rally and Moto GP these days, since it is a better show.
    Maybe new cars in 22 will change that, but I am guessing the moneygap btw top and bottom team will make sure we are back to status quo by the end of nest year.

maybe the money prices from FIA need to be swapped, so that the bottom teams get most to try to even the field a bit.
    We had this same feeling with Schumacher. But Schumacher was dethroned by Alonso in a fair fight. I get people want to see another champion, but for proper respect, a contender must step forward and beat the incumbent champion in a fair fight. This way it would underline in clear terms that the incumbent has run his course of being champion and the next generation is stepping forward.

Like Alonso, such a person would be revered for their achievement of defeating Hamilton in a fair fight. This is not what we got here. What has happened is very damaging for the sport. We have a new champion under the most dubious circumstance. Such that we have not ended up with a new Alonso.

To be honest, l really wanted Verstappen to win it. He was the underdog and it was very rewarding that Redbull turned with a car that gave Mercedes such headache this season. They gave the 7 times World champion such gritty competition, at one point we were all convinced this was a Redbull year to be Constructors and driver's world champions. But to do that, they have to cross the finish line ahead in a fair and clean contest.

What does it mean to say someone is a world champion?

This probably means different things to different people. To me, it means the individual has defeated the entire drivers registered for the 2021 season in a regulation specified equipment to use in a contest conducted to the letter of the regulation of the season in a fairly contested series of races. And that individual has finished the season with the highest points earned.

Can we honestly say this is what happened at Abu Dhabi?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th December 2021 at 11:43.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    [QUOTE=Nitrodaze;1288864]Come on. If they crash, Verstappen wins automatically on count-back because he had more wins even though they are on equal points.
    [QUOTE/]
    Well no, the outcome of a crash is unpredictable. If they are both out than yes, verstappen is champion. But there are many other ways for it to end.

I am happy he did not fight it much. Because fighting harder would have given credit to the fixed title handover. You would be arguing that there was a fair fight but Hamilton lost because Verstappen was too good for him.

While the truth was, Redbull and Verstappen needed a helping hand from Masi and Masi duly provided it. If Masi had gone by the rules, there would be very little chance for Verstappen to win it. AND YOU KNOW IT AS DO EVERYONE AT THE FIA AND F1 MANAGEMENT.
    Now look at it from the perspective of a verstappen fan.
    What would you say if they didn't restart the race although the track is clear? Masi gave the title to Hamilton.
    What would you say if they didn't let the lapped cars pass like they are supposed to? Masi gave the title to Hamilton.
    What would you say if they redflagged the race and gifted hamilton with a free piststop? Masi gifted the title to hamilton.

Whatever was going to happen, people would always complain about masi and the fia. They always yell about interference and unfairness. And they aren't even wrong, it was interference, it did give an unfair advantage to someone.
    But if you wouldn't complain if that advantage had been given to hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    Low fuel or not, how was a driver on 30+ lap old hards meant to keep a car that was basically in qualifying hot lap trim behind him?
    How was perez supposed to keep a car behind him on completely worn softs that were 2 seconds per lap slower?
    Yet he did.

Looking at the laptimes, the difference between max and lewis must have been somewhere around 1,5s per lap.

Lots of what if's, but i still feel lewis could have defended a lot harder. At least he could have defended the inside. That's at least what i would do.

What would you say if they didn't restart the race although the track is clear?
    If they follow the regulations, then not restarting is what is supposed to happen. This has been the case in dozens of races in the past. This is why everyone was baffled why Masi did not red flag the race and had a four-lap sprint race from a grid start. By the way, what you ask here is one of the ways that section 48.12 prescribes the race should end.

What would you say if they didn't let the lapped cars pass like they are supposed to?
    Not unlapping the cars is the other way that section 48.12 prescribes the race should end under that Abu Dhabi circumstances. In both of the above instances, Masi would not be interfering with the normal course of the race. Hamilton already have the advantage before the crash, so he would gain nothing.

What would you say if they redflagged the race and gifted hamilton with a free piststop?
    This would have been the fairest way to end the race. They would both be on fresh tyres and we would have a proper duel to the finish line. All the points you raise are the only proper ways available to the Race Director to not interfere with the outcome of the race in a fair manner. If he doesn't want Hamilton to have fresh tyres, then the other two options above are the only ones legitimately within his power to enforce.

Whatever was going to happen, people would always complain about masi and the fia. They always yell about interference and unfairness. And they aren't even wrong, it was interference, it did give an unfair advantage to someone.
    But if you wouldn't complain if that advantage had been given to hamilton.

How was perez supposed to keep a car behind him on completely worn softs that were 2 seconds per lap slower?
    Yet he did.

Looking at the laptimes, the difference between max and lewis must have been somewhere around 1,5s per lap.

Lots of what if's, but i still feel lewis could have defended a lot harder. At least he could have defended the inside. That's at least what i would do.
    If Perez had finished the race than l would entertain your views on that. What l and everyone else is complaining about is the strange way the race ended. I don't think Hamilton or Verstappen should have it easy. They don't share their enormous prize money with me, do they? So why the hell should l care either way who wins.
    What l care about though is to watch a race that is hard-fought and someone wins it fairly. A fixed race does not tickle my enjoyment it ruins it.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th December 2021 at 16:26.
    William Shakespeare

The FIA is now going to open an investigation aimed at analysis and clarification of the safety car situation in Abu Dhabi. It sounds like a tea and cupcakes session with all teams principles. Certainly a way of trying to quell any possibility of further actions by Mercedes. The wording Analysis and clarification seems to suggest they don't expect anything to change, which is good news for Verstappen. But would it be enough to allay the scepticism in the wider F1 community, the fans etc?

The damage is done, their best chance is to quietly let Masi go. Masi's face will always be a reminder of this unfortunate incident. Besides, there is suspicion in the minds of most fans that Masi is corrupt. It may be untrue, but they would have a hard time convincing anyone that he would not also do the same at the end of the 2022 season if he is still in charge.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 15th December 2021 at 20:47.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Yes, Nitro, but that does not mean Red Bull are at fault for what transpired.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Yes, Nitro, but that does not mean Red Bull are at fault for what transpired.
    I don't understand? No one is saying Redbull is at fault for anything. They legitimately took full advantage of the situation in front of them. They asked for one more lap of racing and it was given to them there is no fault in that from their perspective.

One could argue though that Redbull has outwitted Mercedes on and off-track this season to take one of the titles from them.

Read this to help you understand better
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th December 2021 at 08:44.
    William Shakespeare