Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    So , with so much more of the car's downforce coming from under the car , will the stewards have to spin the cars on a rotisserie to check for compliance with the rule book ?

I can't wait to see the F1 version of the "super flipper" at the front of the pit lane . They're flipped up , weighed , and instantly photographed and measured , all in one fluid motion , then sent on their way .

Of course , the alternative to that would obviously be to up the pit entry speed and put in a loop for them to drive on the way in , so that everyone in the crowd as well could see that drivers stay within the rules .

That particular idea certainly fits well with the rumoured plan to replace Masi with a robot , since it lets the crowd think their opinions matter , even if the real reason was that the robot was cheaper .

Some speculate that the real race this coming season will be harder to see than what's under the car as the hackers may be hard at work trying to control the robot .
    Remember , that red team has a Russian firm doing cyber-security .
    And , what's the likelihood of the new FIA president owning a red car ?
    Is Lewis afraid of robots ?
    Lewis is obviously afraid of George .
    Is George actually a robot ?
    If so , don't his arms contravene the rules about moveable aerodynamic devices ?
    Normally , they would be removed and sent to the scrutineers , but , I have yet to see any news from the FIA about this subject at all .

So many questions .
    Last edited by Bagwan; 26th January 2022 at 15:30.

2. Likes: Fortitude (27th January 2022)
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    From what I've seen, we will still be able to see most of the aero goodies that matter on the floor section. There isn't a lot of leeway on the tunnels themselves, but the various vanes and fences will probably be where the teams differ the most. Compared to recent years the cars will look almost bare from the side views, without the loads of little flip ups and crazy fences all over the place. Craig Scarborough seems to think that the damage done on cubs and such might be quite a bit less, and the cars overall a little more robust as far as aero damage is concerned.

Though I'm fairly sure George isn't a robot, I think he will come out of the gate charging hard and trying to stamp some authority on his position on the team. I'm sure to some extent having a new driver on the team will impact Lewis some, especially being it's the new cars and his previous advantage of familiarity is mostly gone. That is assuming of course that Merc get it right and stay one of the teams near the front. With the new cars we just don't know... plenty of teams have spent a lot of money to get it horribly wrong in seasons with new regs.

Everything I've been seeing so far leads me to think the cars should be closer to each other this year. I sure hope so. And if the changes in aero wash are as great as many expect them to be, the opportunities for tighter racing should be a lot more frequent.

Another interesting things mentioned by ScarbsF1 is that with the new cars, the best place to follow will likely be nose to tire, rather than directly behind. Due to the vast changes in how wash will be directed he thinks that will become common as the most advantageous from the aero perspective. If so that might lead to some really interesting "dummies" with the driver following to the left and then ducking right to make the pass. But it could also mean that either driver getting it wrong leaves even less room to correct, so it might result in more attempts going bad suddenly.

I'm really, really, really hoping the pack tightens up and we have several constructors in the hunt for titles. Though I've watched and enjoyed F1 for quite some time, the years of team dominance often make the race at the front boring, and often they still don't show the better racing back in the pack as much as they should.

4. Likes: Bagwan (27th January 2022),Fortitude (27th January 2022)
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    No spectators or live television coverage at first test for new 2022 F1 cars
    2022 F1 season
    Posted on
    26th January 2022, 14:33 | Written by Keith Collantine
    Formula 1 teams’ new cars for 2022 will run together for the first time behind closed doors with no live timing or television coverage, the series has confirmed.

F1 described the opening test as “a lower key, pre-testing track session” which will “[allow] the teams to shake down their all-new-for-’22 cars for the first time in the same place”.

So-called shakedown tests typically involve a limited amount of running over a single day. Mercedes has previously announced its new W13 will “be put through a shakedown programme to complete initial system checks on the Silverstone circuit” on February 18th.

https://www.racefans.net/2022/01/26/...-2022-f1-cars/

‘One or two teams will get new cars really badly wrong’ – Allison
    2022 F1 season
    Posted on
    24th January 2022, 22:04 | Written by Keith Collantine

Mercedes chief technical officer James Allison believes the scale of the change in the overhauled technical regulations for the 2022 Formula 1 season means at east one team is likely to have made a serious error with their new design.

“But it’s a brilliantly exciting thing to contemplate precisely because none of us know,” he continued. “One of the things that is the essence of sport is not knowing we all of us have done our level best – I’m talking about everyone in our team, [but] everyone in every other team – we’ll have done our level best to try to find a design and an approach that will be a happy match to this new regulation set. And we’ll all get to find out together at the start of this season and the races that unfold from there exactly how that shakes out.”

https://www.racefans.net/2022/01/24/...wrong-allison/

FIA expects ‘more exciting’ 2022 F1 season with ‘more cars in the mix’ for Grand Prix wins
    Teams like Alfa Romeo and Haas could have more race wins under their belt this season
    Sarah Rendell
    27 Jan 2022.

Head of Single Seater Technical Matters at the FIA, Nikolas Tombazis, says he expects those underdog teams to challenge for race wins.

“It is difficult to expect it to be more exciting than [2021] because that is a very high point of reference,” said Tombazis, quoted by Autosport. “But I think once there’s a bit of convergence, I think there will be more cars in the mix and I think that would be positive.

“When I was looking at some old championships, I read recently we once had 11 winners in a year and you could win a championship with a few wins. I’m not saying we will get to that point, but of course I think to have more variability would be good.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1997937.html

How the increasing weight of F1 cars is giving teams a headache
    ‎20‎ ‎January‎ ‎13‎:‎45

F1 cars will become even heavier in 2022, leading to a whole host of considerations for teams and drivers. RacingNews365.com spoke with Alfa Romeo Technical Director Jan Monchaux for some insight into the situation.
    Author Dieter Rencken
    Co-author Mike Seymour

"We have increased safety, which comes along with quite a severe weight addition on the car, but with all the additions on the regs and the bigger tyres, bigger rims, bigger brake discs, the weight is clearly a big, big topic for all the teams," he explained.

"It is going to be extremely challenging; it is certainly a big, big factor for us. I suppose a touch more difficult," he said, when asked if the next generation of cars will be harder or easier to drive.

"It's going to be heavier, which is not necessarily great, and I suppose, even if all the teams are very creative, we will struggle to recover the authority we used to have on some specific aero characteristics, as was the case [before].

https://racingnews365.com/how-the-in...causing-issues

ON TRACK AT FIORANO WITH THREE DRIVERS
    Maranello 24 January 2022

Scuderia Ferrari takes to the track for the very first time in 2022 this week at the Fiorano circuit. However, this is not a surprise debut for this year’s world championship challenger, which goes by the project code number 674 and will break cover in a few weeks time, on 17th February to be precise.

https://www.ferrari.com/en-GB/formul...-three-drivers

Ferrari drivers happy with 'wake up call' run at Fiorano
    Phillip van Osten28/01/2022 at 07:4128/01/2022 at 07:54

Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz returned to action this week with Ferrari, the pair kicking off in earnest their preparations for 2022 with a full day of running at Fiorano.

Amid cold conditions at Fiorano, test driver Robert Shartzman was entrusted on Wednesday with the opening day of running with Sainz taking over on Thursday morning and completing a trouble-free 59 laps.

Leclerc took over from the Spaniard in the afternoon to rake up 48 laps - or 143 kilometres - onboard Ferrari's SF71H.

In between runs, Sainz and Leclerc ventured over to an area where a group of tifosi had braved the cold weather and assembled to watch the day's proceedings to salute the fans and hand out signed caps.

More detail here;

https://f1i.com/news/430972-ferrari-...t-fiorano.html

Leclerc and Sainz complete first laps of 2022 for Ferrari
    Date published: January 27 2022 - Mark Scott

The Fiorano event, which is becoming somewhat of a traditional ritual for the Scuderia, concludes on Friday with Shwartzman returning for another blast.

Following their worst result in four decades, Ferrari’s road to resurgence took a step in the right direction by finishing P3 in the Constructors’ Championship during the 2021 season, seeing off a sustained challenge from old foes McLaren.

Key members of the Ferrari outfit, team boss Mattia Binotto included, are quietly confident of more success in 2022 with wholesale regulation changes coming into effect.

Project 674 is the working title given to Ferrari’s as yet unnamed 2022 challenger, due to be unveiled to the world on February 17.

Further background;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/charle...-laps-ferrari/

Can rejuvenated Ferrari take the lead in F1’s new era?
    F1
    Lewis Larkam
    27 Jan 2022

Having spent the last two seasons in recovery mode, there is a renewed sense of optimism surrounding Ferrari heading into Formula 1’s new era of regulations.

F1’s most famous team was able to recover large amounts of its power deficit last year on its way to beating arch rivals McLaren to third place in the 2021 constructors’ championship after a fierce season-long tussle.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said the achievement provided the Italian outfit with “serenity” heading into the winter and the 2022 season. The ability to jump from sixth to third, despite largely focusing its development efforts on the 2022 rules reset, made Ferrari’s progress all the more impressive.

Further comments;

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/995...d-f1-s-new-era

Mekies explains upgrade process under F1 budget cap
    Date published: January 27 2022 - Michelle Foster

Last season Formula 1 introduced a budget cap, the teams allowed to spend just $145 million, a huge blow to the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull who were spending triple that in previous years.

For many of the teams their 2021 budget went on designing and building this year’s all-new cars with some teams, such as Alfa Romeo and Haas, not spending a penny on updating last year’s cars.

Others, most notably Red Bull, continued to update their 2021 car for most of the season, the Milton Keynes squad focused on winning the World title for Max Verstappen. Ferrari had a more even split, introducing a few early season upgrades before turning their full focus onto 2022.

Further insight here;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...-process-2022/

Honda had ‘rethink’ after F1 exit – Marko
    JANUARY 28, 2022
    ANDREW MAITLAND

Honda will be more deeply involved in Red Bull’s Formula 1 program this year and beyond than was previously thought.

Officially, the Japanese carmaker has already departed as Red Bull’s works F1 partner. The energy drink company intended to use Honda’s engine IP this year and beyond whilst building up its own Red Bull Powertrains offshoot.

However, Dr Helmut Marko says those plans have changed.

“We don’t have to touch the engines until 2025, because they will come entirely from Japan,” the Austrian told Autorevue.

“So the intellectual property will remain with Honda. We will then be a newcomer under the new regulations of 2026.”

https://grandpx.news/honda-had-rethi...f1-exit-marko/

CHANGE OF PLAN: HONDA WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPLY ENGINES TO RED BULL
    Lena Ferle
    28 th Jan 2022.

Honda wanted to stop supplying engines directly to Red Bull Racing and thus AlphaTauri for the 2022 season. Pulling out of F1 originally meant that Red Bull would now produce its own powertrains with the help of Honda. This decision has now been changed – Honda will remain in Formula 1.

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ch...s-to-red-bull/

Red Bull engines now coming from Honda until 2025
    Date published: January 28 2022 - Jamie Woodhouse

In an interview with Autorevue magazine, Marko said: “We have now also found a completely different solution to the one originally envisaged.

“The engines will be manufactured in Japan until 2025, we will not touch them at all. That means that the rights and all these things will remain with the Japanese, which is important for 2026 because it makes us newcomers.

“In the course of our ever greater successes, a certain rethinking has taken place among the Japanese. And also that they could of course use the battery knowledge for their electrification phase.

“It was initially planned that they would only make our motors for 2022. Now it has been decided that this will continue until 2025, which is of course a huge advantage for us. This means we only have to make fine adjustments and calibrations.”

More detail;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bu...a-engine-deal/

F1 Froze Engine Development Because Honda Left Red Bull. Now Honda's Back.
    Was Honda exempt from the freeze since it wasn't technically in Formula One? Will Red Bull Racing have the advantage?
    By Elizabeth Blackstock
    Today 10:28AM

As with most things in F1, this decision has come with a lot of speculation. Should this move by Red Bull be considered cheating? Did they actively lie to F1 to freeze the powertrains, only to catch everyone off guard by keeping Honda’s efforts? Should F1 immediately lift the development freeze? Could Honda have undertaken engine development in secret? Did Red Bull use this opportunity to intentionally poach engineers from competitors? Or was it legitimately just a case where Honda rethought its original business strategy?

Speculation in detail;

https://jalopnik.com/f1-to-froze-eng...d-b-1848439340

Honda to continue supplying Red Bull's engines until 2025
    NEWS STORY
    28/01/2022

Marko suggests that Honda's change of heart was largely influenced by Max Verstappen's title win.

"In the course of our ever-greater successes, a certain rethinking has taken place among the Japanese," says the Austrian. "Also that they could of course use the battery knowledge for their electrification phase.

Further information;

https://www.pitpass.com/71746/Honda-...nes-until-2025

Crisis unfolds: Aston Martin will not make first test
    January 28, 2022 · by thejudge13

“The car is miles behind to the point if it makes 1st test at Barcelona on Feb 23rd everyone will be so surprised you’ll hear the cheer from outer space….”

Despite being first out of the blocks with the show car, TJ13 understands that the real car will be far from ready when the first winter tests start later in February. Furthermore the source reveals that:

Shocking update here;

https://thejudge13.com/2022/01/28/cr...ke-first-test/

Aston Martin details revealed, but all is not well

January 27, 2022 · by thejudge13

The Aston Martin Formula 1 team has announced the time of the unveiling of its new F1 car for the 2022 season, the AMR22, which will be driven by Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll this year.

But rumblings persist around the Aston Martin Formula 1 team that all is not well, story to be continued…

Rumblings to be read here;

https://thejudge13.com/2022/01/27/as...l-is-not-well/

Ralf suggests Vettel as potential Hamilton replacement
    Date published: January 15 2022 - Finley Crebolder

Ralf Schumacher feels Sebastian Vettel would be a strong candidate for the Mercedes seat should Lewis Hamilton vacate it.

If Hamilton did choose to walk away from the sport, Wolff and co would of course have to find a last-minute replacement for him – and Schumacher thinks Vettel would be a logical choice.

“The experience Sebastian has, the speed he still has,” he told Sky Deutschland by way of explanation.

More on Ralf Schumachers speculation;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sebast...ralf-mercedes/

Sebastian Vettel admits debut Aston Martin disappointment wasn’t what he signed up for
    SEBASTIAN VETTEL endured a difficult first campaign with Aston Martin, and is hoping for an upturn in fortunes going forward.
    By DANIEL MOXON
    05:01, Mon, Jan 17, 2022

Reflecting on the season, Vettel admitted that it wasn't exactly what he had "signed up for".

"I think the team’s great – I really enjoy working with the team, and I think it’s been a big change obviously," he said. "But no in terms of the results, obviously. The whole team and myself, we were hoping for more.”

"I think we got hurt quite badly by the regulation changes as the team had a great car [in 2020] but not [in 2021], so we did what we could."

More Sebastian Vettel reflections;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ntment-F1-news

No concerns at Red Bull after crash test failure rumours emerge
    RacingNews365.com understands there are no concerns at Red Bull regarding their new RB18 after rumours of the chassis failing FIA crash tests emerged.
    29/01/2022, ‎16‎:‎10
    Author Thomas Maher
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

Rumours have recently emerged regarding Red Bull's 2022 Formula 1 car, with a report in Italian media suggesting that the RB18 has failed the FIA's frontal crash tests for the new regulations.

It would not be the first time an Adrian Newey-penned design has fallen foul of the FIA tests, with Newey's 2003 McLaren MP4-18 never actually taking part in a Grand Prix after being troubled from the start.

The rumours appear to centre on Red Bull's failure to confirm a launch date for the RB18, as the majority of the teams have now done so – including Red Bull sister team AlphaTauri.

Further analysis;

https://racingnews365.com/no-concern...rumours-emerge

Former Top Gear ‘Stig’ warns Red Bull could be hit hard by 2022 shake-up
    Sir Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen battled for the championship in 2021, and took 19 race wins between them.
    by Rob Kershaw
    29 January 2022

With scope for development seemingly being largely reduced, McCarthy suggests that this may take some weapons out of the Milton Keynes-based team’s armoury.

“I wonder if the new regs may damage Red Bull a little bit because, you know, as they’re coming down on the arrows, or at least changing the aero, the aerodynamics, principally we’ve always felt that Red Bull are masters in the art of aerodynamics and their downforce may be better than anybody else,” he philosophised.

“Maybe if you take some of those toys away, they might not have that advantage to play on.

“So they might have to look at other things.“

Further insight & analysis;

https://formula1news.co.uk/former-to...2022-shake-up/

Horner wary of rules reset: It'd be foolish to underestimate any team
    In an exclusive interview with RacingNews365.com, Christian Horner has offered his thoughts on the 2022 rule changes and how they might impact the pecking order.
    29/01/2022, ‎19‎:‎00
    Author Dieter Rencken
    Co-author Mike Seymour

Horner admitted that the pecking order is difficult to predict, and is not ruling out the prospect of a team leaping forward from the back of the grid.

"I think it's probable that the big teams will be at the front. Which order they'll be in is difficult to predict," Horner told RacingNews365.com in an exclusive interview, when asked if he thinks the momentum will continue from 2021, with Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren in the lead pack.

"The big challenge for 2022 is that one, the budget is reduced by five million, and two, every component is different, is brand-new. [We've got] a new chassis, new steering wheel, new pedals, new suspension – new everything! That obviously carries a considerable cost with it.

Christian Horner full interview;

https://racingnews365.com/horner-war...imate-any-team

Lewis Hamilton warned Max Verstappen's new Red Bull car 'already as good as title winner'
    MERCEDES superstar Lewis Hamilton has been given an ominous warning ahead of his bid to regain the world championship.
    By ANDREW GAMBLE
    18:51, Sat, Jan 29, 2022

World champion Max Verstappen will have a fast car as he attempts to defend his title in 2022, with Red Bull’s 2022 machinery allegedly as quick as the 2021 version. Red Bull are one of four teams yet to announce the presentation date of the new car ahead of the upcoming campaign.

Motorsport.com reported the new Red Bull car did not pass the frontal crash test, which perhaps has delayed the Milton Keynes-based outfit’s announcement.

However, Red Bull Racing chief technical officer Adrian Newey is reportedly not worried.

There have been several reports that the RB18 is already faster than the RB16B in the simulator.

Further news;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...s-title-winner

Verstappen’s salary already ‘close to limit’, say Red Bull
    Date published: January 29 2022 - Mark Scott

We have already seen team principal Christian Horner recently sign a new five-year deal to remain as Red Bull boss and Verstappen appears to be the next high-profile Red Bull employee on the list.

“We are in the process of extending all contracts by five years to ensure continuity within Red Bull,” motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko is quoted has having told Autorevue.

“We will be having talks with Max in the coming weeks. His manager was difficult to approach because his son and Jos Verstappen were at the 24-hour race in Dubai.”

More here;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...d-bull-salary/

Verstappen Mercedes link 'cracked' as Wolff rues Horner fights - GPFans F1 Recap
    Max Verstappen is unlikely to entertain any future thoughts of joining Mercedes due to "a real crack" opening up between the driver and team following the events of last season's British Grand Prix.
    Ian Parkes
    Saturday 29 January 2022 23:30

That is the verdict of Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, who feels the Verstappens - including father Jos - were left dismayed by Mercedes' behaviour at Silverstone.

erstappen had been courted by Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff prior to the 24-year-old opting to join forces with Red Bull, since when the pair then always maintained a healthy relationship.

Last July's British GP, however, altered the perspective as Verstappen pulled no punches in condemning Mercedes for showing a lack of respect in celebrating a Lewis Hamilton victory while he was in hospital after the Briton had sent the Dutch driver into a barrier at 150mph following their lap-one collision.

More details;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/74...ionship-marko/

Marko praises Perez: There's a big difference between him and Bottas

Helmut Marko says Sergio Perez proved that he "doesn't break" under pressure during the 2021 F1 season.
    30/01/2022, 07:00
    AuthorThomas Maher

It was Perez's mental fortitude that impressed Marko the most, with the Austrian saying the team's new signing simply "didn't break" during his rollercoaster campaign.
    "It's clear to us that there is currently no driver who can stand up to Verstappen in qualifying," Marko told AutoRevue. But then you need someone who won't break – that has happened with Perez."
    As for where Perez needs to improve, Marko highlighted his qualifying performances. "If you start ninth or 11th, all the qualities he undoubtedly has in the race won't help you," Marko said.

Further comments;

https://racingnews365.com/marko-prai...him-and-bottas

Verstappen "always exploded" but now a calmer figure
    GPFans Staff
    Sunday 30 January 2022 08:30

During the early stages of Verstappen's career, the Dutchman found himself in front of former FIA race director Charlie Whiting on occasion due to his driving standards that angered his on-track rivals.

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, speaking to Austrian magazine Autorevue, revealed: "This maturation process was sometimes not so visible from the outside, but it quickly reached a peak because when something didn't go right in training he always exploded. Today he is calm. We had technical problems a couple of times. Now he just sees the whole thing."

Marko feels it served Verstappen well with regards to his maturity that he did not have a title-challenging car in his first few years with the team. Conversely, Marko also feels Verstappen deserves praise for opting to remain with Red Bull through difficult times when he could have moved elsewhere.

Further insight;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/74...calmer-figure/

Perez pushed by Verstappen and the media
    Date published: January 28 2022 - Ben Johnston

Red Bull’s Sergio Perez says that his first season with the team was very intense as he teamed up with Max Verstappen in 2021.

Perez joined Red Bull from Racing Point ahead of the 2021 season after losing his seat to Sebastian Vettel.

It took Perez time to find his feet at Red Bull but when he did, he really stepped up and feels that the pressure applied by Verstappen last season helped him, as did the media’s reaction to him joining the team.

More analysis;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio...stappen-media/

Exclusive: Perez ready to find another gear after 'starting from zero' at Red Bull
    Sergio Perez has spoken exclusively to RacingNews365.com about his first season at Red Bull and how he hopes to apply the many lessons learned in 2022.
    26 January, 11:45
    AuthorDieter Rencken
    Co-authorMike Seymour

Sergio Perez feels that he has reached "another level" as a driver thanks to his rollercoaster first season with Red Bull, describing his adaptation to the team as a "great challenge".

Having spent the previous seven F1 campaigns with the Force India/Racing Point operation after being dropped by McLaren, Perez was given a chance to return to front-running machinery when Red Bull opted to look outside of their own talent pool for 2021.
    "Basically, I had to start from zero, learn new techniques of setting up the car, of driving the car, and it's been a great challenge. I think it has put me into another level as a driver, [in] that I had to learn a different way of driving.

"The car is unbelievable when it's at its right window. [But] it's very, very challenging to get the tyres and to get the car in that sweet spot – it's not been easy."

Great analysis;

https://racingnews365.com/exclusive-...ro-at-red-bull

McLaren's Key seeking more 'balanced' car for 2022

McLaren believes F1's new regulations has allowed it the opportunity to field a more balanced car in 2022, with its all-new contender enjoying better strength in slow-speed corners than its predecessors.
    Michael Delaney 29/01/2022, at 14:53

McLaren technical director James Key has centered part of his efforts for 2022 on conceiving a new design that will offer better low-speed performance.

"We did pay a lot of attention to drag on the 2020 car, and as we did for the ’19 car, that was a bit before my time, but I know that was a priority for that car and it all carried through," Key said, quoted by Motorsport.com.

"Efficiency is good. I think what we’ve seen with straight-line braking, which is one of our strengths, and high-speed corners reflects the sort of performance we can generate with the nature of the car we have.

Further discussion;

https://f1i.com/news/431057-mclarens...-for-2022.html

Technical Insight: Pull rod suspension confirmed on McLaren MCL36
    by Rosario Giuliana
    30/01/2022, 12:26

Teams have begun teasing images of their cars and McLaren has been particularly active on social media throughout January. Although the images have mostly been obscured, we can begin to gather some small details, thanks to a video of their engine fire-up.

Through the video clips and photos published, we were able to take a first technical look, managing to capture some small fundamental details on what will be the 2022 car of the Woking team.

It appears McLaren have abandoned the push rod suspension philosophy in favour of a return to the pull rod layout, which could be motivated by the larger 18″ Pirelli wheels.

Excellent reporting and analysis;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...mclaren-mcl36/

Two big questions for McLaren in 2022: Can Ricciardo and Norris return their team to glory?
    30 January 2022

Fourth in the 2021 constructors’ standings, this outfit aims to fight their way back to the very front of the grid and emulate the results that cemented their place in Formula 1 legacy, with Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo at the wheel.

Can McLaren challenge for wins and podiums consistently in 2022? Under the (quite possibly papaya) bodywork of the MCL36 will lie the aforementioned Mercedes power unit which propelled the Silver Arrows to an eighth consecutive championship in 2021. So there’s probably no need for McLaren to worry about power struggles.

McLaren have been more reserved about their winter gains, but that shouldn’t detract from their potential; CEO Zak Brown and Team Principal Andreas Seidl have assembled a solid technical team….

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Te1Qo3or1.html

MUST-SEE: McLaren fire up their 2022 car, the MCL36
    27 January 2022

McLaren have reached a landmark moment in the development of their all-new 2022 car, the MCL36, with the team firing up the Mercedes power unit in the back of the machine on Wednesday.

McLaren enter the new era of Formula 1 off the back of their highest-scoring season since 2012, with Daniel Ricciardo having secured their first victory in nine years at the 2021 Italian Grand Prix.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...3aI34s4mc.html

THE ‘STAGGERING’ PROBLEM MCLAREN FIXED IN ITS F1 RECOVERY
    Jan 27 2022
    By Scott Mitchell

There were hints of core organisational and cultural weaknesses in the McLaren structure when various operational errors and reliability problems took Lewis Hamilton out of the 2012 championship fight – McLaren’s most recent title challenge.

That’s thanks in no small part due to McLaren committing to deep “cultural changes”, according to technical director James Key, primarily aimed at “being very open with stuff and removing the blame cultures. Not that they were necessarily an issue when we arrived,” adds Key, who joined McLaren in early 2019. “But definitely not have them at all so people were free to talk and attack issues in a very sort of mature and open way.”

“There was a BIG blame culture,” says McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown. “And James would have just caught the tail end of it. So, if he didn’t think it was that bad, that’s because he was part of the solution. Not part of the problem!”

VERY revealing and interesting article;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-s...s-f1-recovery/

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
    Crisis unfolds: Aston Martin will not make first test
    January 28, 2022 · by thejudge13

“The car is miles behind to the point if it makes 1st test at Barcelona on Feb 23rd everyone will be so surprised you’ll hear the cheer from outer space….”

Despite being first out of the blocks with the show car, TJ13 understands that the real car will be far from ready when the first winter tests start later in February. Furthermore the source reveals that:

Shocking update here;

https://thejudge13.com/2022/01/28/cr...ke-first-test/

Aston Martin details revealed, but all is not well

January 27, 2022 · by thejudge13
    These couple headlines don't bode well for Aston Martin. I guess somebody has to finish last, might as well be Aston Martin.

13. Likes: Fortitude (1st February 2022)