Page 54 of 78 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Verstappen has 'got the itch' to get back to it at Spa.
    "I’m feeling ready to race again after a good break," Verstappen said in Red Bull's race weekend preview.
    24/08/2022 at 12:51
    Phillip van Osten

Max Verstappen is reset and rested after a leisurely summer break and ready to get back to work at Spa-Francorchamps, his favourite track.

"The upgrades to the track have made it a little more old school with the gravel traps which I think is a good idea," commented Verstappen, who won last year's race at Spa.”

"It’s my favourite track so I’m looking forward to racing there this weekend. It looks like there might be rain around which will make it more tricky, but luckily as a team we like a challenge."

‘My Favourite Track’;

https://f1i.com/news/451433-verstapp...it-at-spa.html

Verstappen: Ready to race after a good break
    24 August, 2022
    Paul Velasco

Max Verstappen is fired up and ready to go after the summer break, the Red Bull driver has an eighty-point lead as part two of the 2022 Formula 1 season gets underway with the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.

“It will be a busy triple header but it will be okay to manage as we’ve all had a rest. The upgrades to the track have made it a little more old school with the gravel traps which I think is a good idea.”

“It’s my favourite track so I’m looking forward to racing there this weekend. It looks like there might be rain around which will make it more tricky, but luckily as a Team we like a challenge,” added Verstappen who will be hard to beat this Sunday.”

‘As a Team we like a challenge’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/08...an-gp-preview/

Sergio Perez highly motivated ahead of F1's return
    Published: 24 Aug 2022, 17:07
    By George Dagless

Sergio Perez is sounding highly motivated ahead of the Formula 1 season returning, as the paddock heads to the Belgian Grand Prix. The Mexican driver was, at one point, Max Verstappen’s nearest rival in the title fight but some reliability issues has left Perez, as well as the likes of Charles Leclerc, well off of the pace as we head towards the final nine races of the year.

Indeed, Max is very much in the pound-seats as things stand and Checo will be aware that the longer the gap stays as big as it is the more likely it is that he’ll be asked to play rear-gunner, and give up his own title aspirations for another year. For now, though, it’s as you were between the two Red Bull drivers and Perez sounds hugely motivated to kick off the second part of the season with a positive result at Spa-Francorchamps:

“I am massively looking forward to being back in the RB18 and getting out on track again. It has been a good break and I have really recharged for the second half of the season and I am ready for it. There are great races coming up, especially Belgium on a track that I always enjoy and the fans are always amazing there. I cannot wait to get back to work and see my team. I think it’s nice to start after the break with a triple header, where we can really get into our rhythm.”

‘Perez highly motivated’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88051761...-of-f1s-return

‘Anything can happen’ – Perez refusing to rule out title charge in remaining 9 races of 2022
    22 August 2022

Sergio Perez currently sits 85 points behind team mate and championship leader Max Verstappen in the drivers’ standings. But the Mexican has made it clear he has no plans to give up on the title fight, insisting that “anything can happen.”

At the Hungarian Grand Prix, Perez was asked whether he intended to help Verstappen seal his second championship in a row or if he still had aspirations to close the gap in the title race. And the three-time race winner chose the latter option, insisting that there is still everything to play for.

“I think at the moment everything is still very open, so we have to keep pushing,” said Perez. “Ferrari have been a bit faster than us in the last couple of races, so we just have to keep pushing hard and anything can happen.

‘Anything can happen’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...8wuFUmVy3.html

Red Bull strategist Hannah Schmitz on working relationship with Max Verstappen
    Sunday 21st August 2022 5:00 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Hannah Schmitz, Red Bull’s principal strategy engineer, says Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez take a keen interest in that side of Formula 1. In particular when it comes to race day, the strategical calls made by a team can be crucial. In the midfield, it can be the difference between scoring points and missing out, while up front it can determine which driver wins the race.

For Red Bull, the 2022 campaign has been spent in that latter category, the Austrian outfit having won nine of the opening 13 races, while the strategical calls made by rivals Ferrari have been criticised on multiple occasions.

Schmitz has been earning the plaudits for her role in Red Bull’s triumphs this season, the team now 97 points clear of Ferrari in the Constructors’ Championship, while Verstappen holds an 80-point lead in the Drivers’ standings.

‘Red Bull strategist Hannah Schmitz’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bu...rstappen-work/

Max Verstappen praises return of gravel at 'old-school' Spa-Francorchamps
    24 August 2022
    Ben Issatt

Max Verstappen has praised the return of gravel traps at multiple corners around "old-school" Spa-Francorchamps. Over the winter, the historic Belgian Grand Prix circuit underwent a major revamp, with the main purpose being to accommodate the return of bike racing.

To do this, many corners that previously had tarmac run-offs now have gravel, including La Source, Les Combes, Blanchimont and the Bus Stop. Shortly after the renovation was completed, the reigning Formula 1 champion got a first taste of the circuit back in April as he drove a Red Bull RB7 for a promotional video.

And ahead of this weekend's race, he gave his view on the changes. "The upgrades to the track have made it a little more old school with the gravel traps which I think is a good idea," he said. “It’s my favourite track so I’m looking forward to racing there this weekend.”

‘Return of gravel at 'old-school' Spa-Francorchamps praised’;

https://www.insideracing.com/formula...-francorchamps

Ricciardo to leave McLaren with multimillion-dollar payout.
    F1 paddock sources suggest McLaren’s decision to sever ties with the eight-time grand prix winner will cost the team upwards of $24 million, accounting for Ricciardo’s 2023 salary and potential additional earnings from performance bonuses.
    24/08/2022, 15:04
    WA Today

Daniel Ricciardo’s troubled tenure at Formula 1 team McLaren will finish at the end of the 2022 season, with compatriot Oscar Piastri set to take his place at the British team after Ricciardo and McLaren reached a multimillion-dollar settlement to end Ricciardo’s contract a year early.

Ahead of this weekend’s resumption of the season at the Belgian Grand Prix, Ricciardo and McLaren mutually agreed to terminate the 33-year-old’s option over a 2023 deal with the team, with terms not disclosed.

McLaren is expected to imminently announce Piastri - the 2021 Formula 2 and 2020 Formula 3 champion who is contracted to rival F1 outfit Alpine as a test and reserve driver - for the 2023 season.

‘Multimillion-dollar payout’;

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/mot...24-p5bce2.html

Haas team principal reportedly contacts Daniel Ricciardo about potential vacancy
    August 24th, 2022 12:22 pm
    Staff Writers from News.com.au

Daniel Ricciardo’s future in Formula 1 remains shrouded in mystery, but one of the sport’s most popular characters has reportedly approached the Australian driver about a potential vacancy on the grid.

The 33-year-old has registered just one podium finish since joining McLaren ahead of the 2021 season — last year’s remarkable victory at the Italian Grand Prix. But apart from that one triumphant weekend in Monza, nothing has gone right for the Perth driver at McLaren.

ESPN reports that Haas team principle Guenther Steiner, who has become a cult hero for his antics on Netflix documentary series Drive to Survive, contacted Ricciardo before the mid-season break.

‘Haas team principal reportedly contacts Daniel Ricciardo’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...f383188d177ed6

Daniel Ricciardo 'holds phone call with Haas boss Guenther Steiner' as F1 future undecided
    DANIEL RICCIARDO is assessing his options as he looks set to leave McLaren ahead of the 2023 season.
    08:09, Wed, Aug 24, 2022
    By Andrew Gamble

Daniel Ricciardo reportedly enjoyed a phone call with Haas boss Guenther Steiner as the Australian assesses his options ahead of the 2023 Formula 1 season. Ricciardo has been linked with a move away from McLaren following a difficult tenure since joining the team for 2021.

Rumours have been rife throughout the summer break regarding if and when Ricciardo might be forced out the team. The eight-time race winner held a phone call with Steiner ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix, but a return to Alpine is perhaps the most likely scenario for Ricciardo.

Haas are exploring who to pair with Kevin Magnussen amid reports of tension between Steiner and Mick Schumacher, although the German has improved over the last few races. Schumacher - the son of seven-time world champion Michael - is in the final year of his deal with the American team.

‘DANIEL RICCIARDO is assessing his options’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...iner-F1-future

Haas eyeing swoop for Ricciardo over 2023 F1 seat
    24/08/2022, 14:16
    Hamilton Lyndon-Griffiths
    Read Motorsport

The Haas Formula 1 team is understood to have made contact with Daniel Ricciardo over his availability for the 2023 season after his departure from McLaren. According to reports, Haas team principal Gunther Steiner called Ricciardo before last month’s Hungarian Grand Prix – the final race before F1’s summer break.

Ricciardo’s future had been a major talking point in recent months due to his ongoing struggles since joining McLaren last year. Steiner is not in a rush to begin negotiations with Schumacher over a new deal, which is where Ricciardo could come in a potential replacement.

Alpine is also considered as another option for the eight-time grand prix winner having previously driven for the Enstone-based squad for two seasons. Now the running saga has been addressed prior to this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, attention will turn to Ricciardo plans for 2023 as he aims to end his difficult stint at McLaren on a high.

‘Haas Formula 1 team is understood to have made contact with Daniel Ricciardo’;

https://readmotorsport.com/2022/08/2...-2023-f1-seat/

Our verdict on Ricciardo’s early McLaren exit
    24/08/2022, 16:11
    The Race

Though there was silence as the Formula 1 summer shutdown kicked in – once the commotion about the extraordinary situation at Alpine had died down – it’s looked increasingly inevitable that Daniel Ricciardo would be giving up his McLaren seat with a year still to run on his contract.

As hopes of a turnaround in his form faded, so too did his chances of keeping his seat for 2023 – even if the ball was in Ricciardo’s court. The end result was Wednesday’s sensational, if unsurprising, announcement that the relationship will end a year early at the conclusion of the current campaign.

So, why didn’t the partnership work? Was it ever likely to succeed? Is either party more responsible than the other for the failure? And can Oscar Piastri do any better if and when he lands the seat? Our writers have their say.

AN INEVITABLE – AND SAD – OUTCOME
    Scott Mitchell

FLASHES OF OLD HAVE BEEN ALL TOO SELDOM
    Gary Anderson

NEITHER PARTY IS MORE TO BLAME THAN THE OTHER
    Mark Hughes

RICCIARDO HAS TO SHOULDER RESPONSIBILITY
    Edd Straw

McLAREN HAS PROBLEMS TOO
    Ben Anderson

McLaren now has the most exciting line-up in F1’s midfield
    Josh Suttill

‘Verdict From The Race’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/our-v...-mclaren-exit/

Mick Schumacher linked with Alpine amid ‘ruined Haas relationship’.
    Mick Schumacher’s chances of remaining at the Haas F1 Team appear to be decreasing, with it being announced that former F1 driver and Ferrari reserve driver Antonio Giovinazzi will take part in two FP1 sessions for the American team.
    23 August 2022
    by Nick Golding

Schumacher is currently without a contract for next season, with the German only having two realistic options remaining should he want to continue in the championship. The first option is to remain at Haas; however, his relationship with the team isn’t believed to be particularly strong at the moment, despite having improved considerably throughout the season.

It’s been discovered that Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi follows Schumacher on Instagram, perhaps an indication that Rossi is a fan of the young German. Schumacher’s uncle, ex-F1 driver Ralf Schumacher, believes his nephew is a “candidate” to replace Fernando Alonso at the French team.

Should the German move to Alpine then it would most likely involve him leaving the Ferrari academy, something which has been rumoured. The favourite for the Alpine seat remains Daniel Ricciardo; however, the German’s age could prove more beneficial should the Enstone-based team be wanting to target their line-up with the future in mind.

‘Ruined Haas Relationship’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/mick-schu...-relationship/

Mick Schumacher may have three rivals for 2023 Haas seat including Daniel Ricciardo
    12:02, Wed, Aug 24, 2022
    By Joshua Lees

MICK SCHUMACHER is out of contract with Haas at the end of the 2022 season, and his future remains up in the air following a mixed run of form.

Formula 1 starlet Mick Schumacher could well have three rivals for his Haas seat in 2023, including Australian star Daniel Ricciardo. Schumacher made his first big break onto the F1 scene after securing a seat with Haas in 2021

As well as the Giovinazzi and Ricciardo, one other name linked with Schumacher’s seat is Nico Hulkenburg according to F1 journalist Lawrence Barretto. Hulkenberg is currently the reserve driver at Aston Martin, and has previous F1 experience with Williams, Force India, Sauber and Renault.

‘Three rivals for 2023 Haas seat’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ciardo-F1-news

Ex-Mercedes boss defends Mick Schumacher, tears into Haas for controversial decision
    Antonio Giovinazzi will get two practice outings with Haas in 2022.
    24 August 2022
    by James Clifford

Former vice president of Mercedes Motorsport, Norbert Haug, disagrees with Haas’ decision to run Antonio Giovinazzi in practice sessions at the Italian and United States Grand Prix.

“Every kilometre a driver doesn’t get, doesn’t help him on the race weekend,” he told Sky Germany. “I don’t know if there is possibly a contractual agreement with Ferrari, focusing on its own drivers is something a team like Haas would need.”

The German believes that his young compatriot has shown enough to convince Haas that he is worth a new contract, but he implores the team to show Schumacher more support. “If I say on one side ‘I expect more points’, then a driver must also be able to say ‘I expect more practice’,” added Haug.

‘Norbert Haug defends Mick Schumacher’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/hes-not-a...sial-decision/

HAAS OR ALPINE? SCHUMACHER A ‘CANDIDATE’ FOR ALONSO SEAT
    With Haas extension rumours floating about, who should Schumacher sign with?
    Jay Winter 3 days ago

Formula 1 driver Mick Schumacher is facing a tough decision to make regarding his future in F1. If you thought the huge shakeup of the 2023 grid was over, think again.

With Sebastian Vettel announcing his retirement, Alonso moving to Aston Martin and Oscar Piastri denying driving for Alpine in 2023, the door has opened for Mick Schumacher to snap up the seat on the French team. That is what former F1 driver and Schumacher’s uncle, Ralf Schumacher believes.

“Mick has not yet signed a contract,” Ralf told Sky Germany when asked about his nephew’s short-term future with Haas. “Therefore, he would be a candidate. A candidate with speed as we have seen. Nico Hulkenberg is also still in the starting blocks. Then, there is the question of Daniel Ricciardo.”

‘HAAS OR ALPINE?’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ha.../?nowprocket=1

Alpine CEO eyes Mick Schumacher for 2023
    08:10 Mon, 22 Aug 2022.
    Grandpx.News

Mick Schumacher may be inching towards a plum Alpine race cockpit for 2023. The young German is rumoured to be struggling to maintain the confidence of both the Haas team as well as Ferrari’s F1 driver development ‘academy’.

His uncle Ralf Schumacher, however, thinks 23-year-old Mick is “a candidate” to replace Fernando Alonso at Alpine, with the Renault-owned team’s preferred driver Oscar Piastri likely heading to McLaren.

“It turns out now that Laurent Rossi, the CEO of Alpine who has been mucking up a lot of stories over the past couple of years, has followed Mick Schumacher on social media,” said Alexey Popov, the Russian F1 commentator for Match TV.

‘Mick Schumacher may be inching towards a plum Alpine race cockpit for 2023’;

https://grandpx.news/alpine-ceo-eyes...cher-for-2023/

“Discussions are still on” to keep Belgian Grand Prix on F1’s 2023 calendar.
    The fate of the Belgian Grand Prix is not yet sealed, despite speculation the race will not appear on the 2023 Formula 1 calendar.
    Posted on 25th August 2022, 8:0825th August 2022, 0:09
    Written by Keith Collantine

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said yesterday “discussions are still on” concerning the future of the race. “We are in Spa this weekend so you will see them a lot of time in my office,” he added. The event is one of several facing pressure from additions to the calendar in Las Vegas, Qatar and potentially South Africa next year. However Domenicali said the sport will make concessions towards heritage tracks such as Spa-Francorchamps which cannot afford the high hosting fees commanded by other venues.

“It’s true that we are working and discussing with other promoters to see if they’re ready for a full commitment already this year or next year,” he said. “But I would say the balance, that has been always a point that we have discussed, is to find the mix of the races where we’re going to have at least one-third in Europe, one-third in the Far East area, and the other one in America and the Middle East. So we want to be balanced.

“Of course, we are talking about a business where investments, financial contributions, are very important. But we have always said that the traditional races, the races that we know cannot bring the money that the others are bringing, have full respect from us. So you will see that this will be respected also not only this year, but also in the future.” However classic venues such as Spa or Monza are not entitled to places on the schedule solely due to their heritage, said Domenicali.

‘We are talking about a business where investments, financial contributions, are very important’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/08/25/...2023-calendar/

Spa hopes boosted as Kyalami F1 return unlikely for 2023

12:53 Thu, 25 Aug 2022.
    By Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

The Belgian Grand Prix’s hopes of retaining a place on the 2023 Formula 1 calendar look improved as the revival of the South African Grand Prix is likely to be delayed. F1 is yet to reveal even a provisional calendar for next season but the return of a race in Kyalami in 2023 had long been a target as the championship continued its global expansion.

At the same time, classic venue Spa – host of 54 grands prix – looked set to controversially drop off the calendar as the number of European races diminishes to make room for new ones. Stefano Domenicali, F1 CEO, travelled to Kyalami to meet with the prospective race promoter after June’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix and the hope was that the race could be held in April next year.

“I always say we want to have a race in Africa, and today the most likely place to have a race in Africa is South Africa,” said Domenicali this week. “Discussions are going on. When we’re talking to new promoters we’re looking for a very clear and solid long-term commitment, because we cannot be there for one year and then ‘game over’.”

‘Spa hopes boosted’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/spa-h...kely-for-2023/

Domenicali: Traditional F1 races have full respect from us
    25 August, 2022
    Reuters

The future of the Belgian Grand Prix after Sunday’s race is uncertain but reports of its demise may be premature says Stefano Domenicali while insisting he remains respectful of the sport’s traditional venues. Speaking on Wednesday, F1 chief Domenicali said F1 sought a balanced mix of a third in Europe, a third in the Far East and the others in America and Middle East, the most lucrative region of all for the sport’s balance sheet.

“Of course, we are talking about a business where investments, financial contributions are very important but we have always said that the traditional races, races that we know cannot bring the money that the others are bringing, have full respect from us.”

“You will see that this will be respected also in the future. With Belgium, discussions are still on. We are in Spa this weekend so you will see them (the local promoters) a lot of times in my office,” added Domenicali who went to South Africa in June to discuss the possibility of that country’s Kyalami circuit returning to the F1 calendar in 2023.

‘Future of the Belgian Grand Prix after Sunday’s race is uncertain’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/08...us-belgian-gp/

Reports of Belgian GP axe premature says Domenicali
    AUGUST 25, 2022
    Grand Prix.

Reports that fabled Spa-Francorchamps will definitely lose its Formula 1 race after this weekend's Belgian GP are premature.

That was the word on Wednesday from F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali, who also said discussions are ongoing with promoters in Monaco and France.

"I read somewhere that it will be the last time in Belgium," he told international F1 journalists. "I would be careful with that, very careful."

‘Belgian GP axe premature’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/repor...omenicali.html

F1 shouldn’t have sprint races every weekend like Moto GP, say drivers
    2022 Belgian Grand Prix
    Posted on 25th August 2022, 18:22
    Written by Keith Collantine and Claire Cottingham

Formula 1 drivers don’t want the series to adopt Moto GP’s plan of holding sprint races every weekend. The motorbike series announced last week every round in 2023 will include an extra sprint race held after qualifying on Saturdays. F1 began experimenting with a similar format last year but has only held three per season so far.

Max Verstappen, who has won both sprint events so far this year, says the format has added little to F1 and doesn’t want to have the extra races every weekend. “I would not enjoy it,” he admitted. “I just don’t like it. I think that Sunday emotion and feeling should be special. That’s the only time you race. That’s how I grew up racing, anyway: Sunday is the day to race.”

“Anyway, so far, from the sprint races we’ve had, not a lot has drastically changed in terms of results. More or less everyone starts on the same tyre and that’s where you finish because you are scared to have a crash or whatever because [then you] start in the back for the main race where the big coins are. Everyone is also a bit like, ‘okay, just make sure we finish the race without any trouble’. So that’s not what you want really.”

‘F1 shouldn’t have sprint races every weekend’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/08/25/...p-say-drivers/

'I still believe': Charles Leclerc refuses to give up on Formula 1 title dream.
    Leclerc appeared to have resolved his doubts and committed himself again to leading Ferrari's bid for a first title since Kimi Raikkonen's triumph in 2007.
    August 26, 2022 10:51:37 IST
    Agence France-Presse

Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium: A defiant Charles Leclerc on Thursday said he still believes he can beat Max Verstappen and win this year’s world title for Ferrari, starting with a perfect result at this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.

Despite facing an 80-point deficit in the championship with nine races remaining, the 24-year-old Monegasque driver maintained an optimistic outlook and declared he retained his faith in a fallible Ferrari team.

“I still believe in the championship of course,” he told reporters at the majestic Spa-Francorchamps circuit. “It’s going to be a very difficult challenge, but I will believe in it until the very end. I think we will take it one by one as a team, each race, but for sure we need to try and maximise every opportunity that we have ahead.”

'I Still Believe';

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/i-s...-11117841.html

Charles Leclerc not giving up hope of ending Ferrari’s F1 title drought
    Thursday 25th August 2022 10:30 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Charles Leclerc returns from the summer break recharged and still believes that the 2022 title race is not over. It was a summer break then which Leclerc felt he very much needed. Asked by reporters ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix if he felt recharged by the summer break, Leclerc replied: “Yes. And I needed it.”

“I mean the first part of the season has been full of highs or lows. So, loads of emotions and there’s lots of accumulation of emotions, which leads to being tired. So, I was quite happy to go on the holidays and I used these three weeks in the best way possible with my family, my friends. And yeah, it was just great.”

Asked how he views the next nine races, considering that 80-point gap, Leclerc replied: “Well, I think we’ll take it one by one as a team. “But for sure we need to try and maximise every opportunity that we have ahead, and I still believe in the championship of course, it’s going to be a very difficult challenge, but I will believe in it until the very end.”

‘Not Giving Up Hope’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/charle...-hope-remains/

Leclerc: Ferrari must now 'maximize' every opportunity ahead
    25/08/2022 at 16:42
    Phillip van Osten

Charles Leclerc says he'll continue to believe in the world title as long as the math allows him to do so, but he admits that Ferrari now needs to maximize every opportunity that comes its way in the back half of the season.

Leclerc pointed to Sebastian Vettel's incredible run in the latter part of 2013, when the Red Bull charger won nine consecutive races to seize the title, as and act - although a massively difficult one - to follow.

"I have to do like Sebastian Vettel in 2013, when he won every race after the summer break," he said. "Maybe it's easier said than done but I'll do my best."

‘Must now 'maximize' every opportunity’;

https://f1i.com/news/451577-leclerc-...ity-ahead.html

Leclerc vows to maintain championship belief "until the very end"
    Thursday 25 August 2022 17:40
    Will Gray

Charles Leclerc has declared he 'still believes' he can win the world title despite an 80-point deficit to Red Bull rival Max Verstappen.

“Between Red Bull and ourselves, there is very little. Maybe sometimes we are a tiny bit stronger, sometimes they are a tiny bit stronger. Now there is also Mercedes coming into the fight, which is nice.”

“But at the end, I think the one that wins eventually is the one that just puts a great weekend together, so that will define the differences between the two teams.”

‘Vow to maintain championship belief’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/90...eclerc-belief/

Ferrari urged to remember 2007 Hamilton title defeat in battle with Verstappen
    Thursday 25 August 2022 13:09
    Ian Parkes

Ferrari has been urged to recall the 2007 F1 championship fight as it bids to overturn a yawning deficit to Max Verstappen in this year's title showdown.

Fifteen years ago, Kimi Raikkonen's challenge appeared a forlorn one as he trailed Lewis Hamilton by 17 points with two races remaining in an era when it was only 10 points for a victory.

But in the penultimate grand prix in China, Hamilton slid off into a gravel trap on entry into the pit lane and then suffered mechanical issues in the final race in Brazil, while Raikkonen won both events to clinch his sole crown by a point from the Briton and his then McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso.

‘Remember 2007’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/90...rstappen-2022/

Sainz heads Leclerc in opening Belgian GP session
    Carlos Sainz led a Ferrari 1-2 during a disrupted opening practice session to Formula 1’s Belgian Grand Prix.
    by Phillip Horton

Sainz set a time of 1:46.538s to finish just 0.069s faster than Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc as Formula 1 returned to action after the summer break. Sainz’s benchmark came before a lengthy red flag period, and a subsequent rain shower, which denied drivers the chance to improve.

The session resumed with 11 minutes remaining but as the field began to push on hot laps rain began falling, before swiftly intensifying, prompting the drivers to tip-toe around to the pit lane. World Champion Max Verstappen was third ahead of a weekend in which he is set to start from the lower half of the grid due to an engine penalty.

It came on a day in which Alfa Romeo announced that its partnership with Sauber will conclude by the end of the 2023 season. Sauber has been widely linked to Audi, which finally confirmed on Friday that it will enter Formula 1 in 2026 as a power unit constructor.

‘Ferrari 1-2’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...an-gp-session/

(FP1) First Practice Results – 2022 Belgian Grand Prix
    Spa, Belgium
    26/08/2022, 14:09
    by Emer Hedderman

Results (Classification):
    1. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari -1:46.538
    2. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.069
    3. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.217
    4. George Russell Mercedes +0.858
    5. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.899
    6. Alexander Albon Williams Racing +1.297
    7. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +1.543
    8. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +1.772
    9. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +1.882
    10. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +1.936

‘Belgian Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from the first practice ahead of the 2022 F1 World Championship race at Spa-Francorchamps’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/fp1-first-...and-prix-79882

AS IT HAPPENED: Follow all the action from first practice for the Belgian Grand Prix
    26 August 2022
    Formula 1.
    Beck Hart [Special Contributor]

‘FP1: As it happened’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...UlLHBZ6AK.html

FP1 Highlights: Belgian Grand Prix
    26 Aug 2022
    Formula 1.

Watch highlights from first practice at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...588926291.html

Everything that happened in first Belgian GP F1 practice
    26/08/2022, 14:19
    The Race
    By Josh Suttill

Carlos Sainz led a Ferrari one-two in the opening Formula 1 practice session at the Belgian Grand Prix as a late-session downpour prevented improvements.

Key moments
    – Sainz 0.069s faster than Leclerc
    – Verstappen third ahead of Russell
    – Magnussen’s Haas stops on track, causes red flag
    – Late-session shower stops improvements

‘FP1: The Race Round Up’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/every...p-f1-practice/

Sainz leads Ferrari one-two as rain ends first practice early at Spa
    2022 Belgian Grand Prix first practice
    Posted on 26th August 2022, 14:15
    Written by Will Wood

Carlos Sainz Jnr topped the times ahead of Ferrari team mate Charles Leclerc during a first practice session which was interrupted by a red flag and ended in a rain shower. Sainz’s best time of a 1’46.538 saw him go fastest of all, 0.096s faster than Leclerc and two tenths quicker than Max Verstappen. Late rainfall prevented many drivers from improving their best times in the final 20 minutes of the session.

The circuit was slightly damp due to light spitting of rain before the session begin, leading to a handful of cars venturing out on intermediate tyres when the pit exit lights shone green. However, it quickly become clear the track was more than dry enough for slicks, and drivers switched less than five minutes into the session.

Verstappen had to take avoiding action in the pit lane when Nicholas Latifi was released in front of the Red Bull driver as he made his way towards the pit exit. Verstappen cut inside of the Williams to get by and the stewards noted the incident, but determined that no further investigation was necessary.

‘Sainz leads Ferrari one-two’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/08/26/...-early-at-spa/

Verstappen leads Leclerc by eight-tenths in second practice.
    Max Verstappen was comfortably fastest of all in second practice for the Belgian Grand Prix, leading title rival Charles Leclerc by eight tenths of a second.
    Posted on 26th August 2022, 17:24
    Written by Will Wood
    2022 Belgian Grand Prix second practice

Lando Norris was third-quickest for McLaren. However all the top three drivers in this session will take grid penalties for exceeding their power unit parts allocation.

The second and final practice session for the race at Spa-Francorchamps was again affected by rain in the later stages, with Verstappen setting the fastest time on the soft tyres midway through the session to end Friday fastest of all.

After earlier rain had effectively ended first practice early, the track was fortunately dry and ready for action when the second and final hour of the day’s running began. With a high risk of rain later in the hour, teams wasted no team in getting their cars out on the track.

‘Verstappen leads Leclerc by eight-tenths’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/08/26/...cond-practice/

(FP2) Second Practice Results – 2022 Belgian Grand Prix
    Spa, Belgium
    28/08/2022, 17:02
    by Emer Hedderman

1. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing -1:45.507
    2. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.862
    3. Lando Norris McLaren +1.082
    4. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.128
    5. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +1.142
    6. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +1.386
    7. Fernando Alonso Alpine +1.468
    8. George Russell Mercedes +1.535
    9. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +1.748
    10. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +1.839

‘Belgian Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from the second practice ahead of the 2022 F1 World Championship race at Spa-Francorchamps’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/fp2-second...and-prix-79895

AS IT HAPPENED: Follow all the action from second practice for the Belgian Grand Prix
    26 August 2022, 16:01.
    Formula 1.
    Becky Hart [Special Contributor]

‘FP2: As it happened’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...4PqY8SXZf.html

FP2 Highlights: Belgian Grand Prix
    26 Aug 2022
    Formula 1.

‘Watch highlights from second practice at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...151836066.html

Verstappen, Leclerc amongst Six Drivers with Grid Penalties for Belgium Grand Prix
    August 26, 2022
    By Paul Hensby

Oracle Red Bull Racing have opted to change multiple components on Verstappen’s power unit, with a fresh Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), turbocharger, MGU-H, MGU-K, energy store and control electronics. The team had hinted of impending changes during the summer break and have opted to introduce the new elements in Belgium rather than in his home event at Zandvoort the following week.

Scuderia Ferrari have also opted to change the power unit on Leclerc’s F1-75, meaning the Monegasque driver will also be at the back on Sunday afternoon at Spa-Francorchamps. Ferrari have had multiple issues with their power units throughout the season, with Leclerc twice retiring from the lead due to his engine failing.

Also set to take penalties for fresh engine components are McLaren F1 Team’s Lando Norris, Alfa Romeo F1 Team’s Valtteri Bottas, BWT Alpine F1 Team’s Esteban Ocon and Haas F1 Team’s Mick Schumacher.

‘Six Drivers with Grid Penalties for Belgium Grand Prix’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...um-grand-prix/

Horner explains Verstappen's engine change and grid penalty
    26/08/2022, ‎17‎:‎50
    Author Jake Nichol

The Red Bull team boss believes it is best for the team "strategically" to take a grid penalty hit at the Belgian Grand Prix. Christian Horner says it would have been "tight" for Red Bull on engine mileage for the remainder of the Formula 1 season, hence Max Verstappen's grid penalty at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Verstappen was fastest of all in FP2 at Spa-Francorchamps, ending 0.862s quicker than Charles Leclerc to follow on from third fastest in the first session earlier in the day. However, Verstappen, and indeed Leclerc, are among a clutch of drivers who will drop to the rear of the field for Sunday's Grand Prix, having exceeded their engine allocation by taking new parts.

In the case of the World Champion, Red Bull have fitted a fourth Internal Combustion Engine, Turbo Charger, and MGU-H and MGU-K, meaning he will start from the rear of the 20-car grid. Verstappen's ultimate starting position will still be determined in qualifying as if he finishes ahead of Leclerc, he will start ahead of the Ferrari driver.

‘Verstappen's engine change explained’;

https://racingnews365.com/horner-exp...d-grid-penalty

Sergio Pérez: Red Bull 'looking competitive' despite disjointed Belgian GP practice
    26 Aug 2022
    Formula 1.

Sergio Pérez thinks that Red Bull are "looking competitive" ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix despite the Mexican's disjointed Friday practice sessions at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.

‘Looking competitive';

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...605938557.html

Perez tops third Belgian GP practice, crash for Leclerc.
    Sergio Perez led a Red Bull 1-2 in the third practice of Formula 1’s Belgian Grand Prix weekend at Spa-Francorchamps, while Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc had a minor crash.
    27/08/2022.
    By Valentin Khorounzhiy

Key moments:
    > Red Bull in control
    > Leclerc’s Ferrari escapes crash
    > Schumacher compromised by issue

The two Ferraris sat out the first third of the session in its entirety, but once they headed out Carlos Sainz and Leclerc established themselves out in front.

However, they were soon usurped by Perez – and they were on course to be surpassed by the other Red Bull of Max Verstappen, too, only for him to be advised to abort his lap in the final sector due to an apparent Pierre Gasly off.

‘Red Bull in control’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/perez...h-for-leclerc/

(FP3) Third Practice Results – 2022 Belgian Grand Prix
    27/08/2022
    Spa, Belgium
    by Emer Hedderman

1. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing -1:45.047
    2. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.137
    3. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.777
    4. Lando Norris McLaren +0.918
    5. Fernando Alonso Alpine +1.014
    6. George Russell Mercedes +1.024
    7. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +1.073
    8. Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +1.119
    9. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.554
    10. Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1.557

‘Belgian Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from the final practice ahead of the 2022 F1 World Championship race at Spa-Francorchamps’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/fp3-third-...and-prix-79908

AS IT HAPPENED: Follow all the action from final practice for the Belgian Grand Prix
    27 August 2022
    Formula 1.

• Overview:
    o Round 14 of the 2022 season comes from Spa, Belgium
    o Sergio Perez finished top of a dry FP3 session
    o There are a whole raft of grid penalties being applied after plenty of drivers took new PU components
    o That includes title rivals Charles Leclerc and Max Verstappen
    o It is another overcast and grey day, with a possibility of showers

‘As It Happened’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...JHupMnDV3.html

HIGHLIGHTS: Watch the action from the third practice session in Spa as Perez leads Red Bull one-two
    27 August 2022
    Formula 1.

Sergio Perez put in a superb late lap to lead a Red Bull one-two in the third practice session at the Belgian Grand Prix, ahead of qualifying later today.

On the soft tyre, Perez set a time of 1m 45.047s to lead team mate Max Verstappen, in second, by 0.137s. Carlos Sainz was the lead Ferrari in third, 0.777s behind the Mexican driver, with Lando Norris putting in another impressive session to go up into to P4, ahead of Fernando Alonso in fifth.

It was a tricky session for Mercedes, with George Russell in sixth and Lewis Hamilton down in 12th, while Charles Leclerc was seventh fastest in the Ferrari.

‘FP3: Highlights’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...dW3kcuU6k.html

2022 Belgian GP FP3: Onboard for Sergio Pérez’ fastest lap
    27 Aug 2022
    Formula 1.

Ride onboard as Red Bull’s Sergio Pérez posts the fastest lap of final practice at the 2022 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix, with a time of 1:45.047 at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.

‘Onboard Video’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...069587391.html

Verstappen wins qualifying but Sainz on pole for Belgian GP.
    Max Verstappen dominated qualifying at the Belgian Grand Prix, but it will be Carlos Sainz starting on pole position at Spa-Francorchamps.
    27/08/2022, ‎16‎:‎38

Max Verstappen won Formula 1 qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix, but it will be Carlos Sainz who starts on pole position after grid penalties are applied. Verstappen's 1:43.655s lap was quickest of all at Spa-Francorchamps, but after taking engine and gearbox penalties, he drops down to 15th place.

Sergio Perez will ride shotgun on the front row, just over two-tenths behind Sainz who could not improve to snatch pole outright on a scrappy final Q3 lap. Charles Leclerc was fourth fastest on the day, but Ferrari once again messed up his strategy.

Running off-sequence to the rest, Leclerc was fitted with fresh Soft tyres for his sole Q3 lap, despite seemingly being planned to go out with a scrubbed set. He emerged again late on to tow Sainz up the Kemmel Straight, but Sainz could not find the required 0.632s to Verstappen.

‘Sainz on pole for Belgian GP’;

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...for-belgian-gp

Qualifying Results – 2022 Belgian Grand Prix
    Spa, Belgium
    27/08/2022.
    by Emer Hedderman

Q3
    1. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing -1:43.665
    2. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.632
    3. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.797
    4. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.888
    5. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.515
    6. Fernando Alonso Alpine +1.703
    7. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +1.838
    8. George Russell Mercedes +2.111
    9. Alexander Albon Williams Racing +2.172
    10. Lando Norris McLaren +2.513

‘Belgian Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from qualifying for this weekend’s 2022 F1 World Championship race at Spa-Francorchamps’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/qualifying...and-prix-79913

AS IT HAPPENED: Follow all the action from qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix
    27 August 2022
    Formula 1.

‘As It Happened’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...lHYGQ9i1l.html

What the Belgian GP grid will actually look like
    27/08/2022.
    By Josh Suttill

With seven of the 20 Formula 1 drivers facing major grid penalties at the Belgian Grand Prix, the actual grid order looks starkly different from the qualifying result. So, who is actually starting where for the Belgian GP?

Belgian GP starting grid
    1. Sainz
    2. Perez
    3. Alonso
    4. Hamilton
    5. Russell
    6. Albon
    7. Ricciardo
    8. Gasly
    9. Stroll
    10. Vettel
    11. Latifi
    12. Magnussen
    13. Tsunoda
    14. Bottas
    15. Verstappen
    16. Leclerc
    17. Ocon
    18. Norris
    19. Zhou
    20. Schumacher

‘Grid Order’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-...lly-look-like/

Wolff laments Mercedes’ “worst qualifying session” since he joined them
    2022 Belgian Grand Prix
    Posted on 27th August 2022, 19:14
    Written by Will Wood and Claire Cottingham

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said their qualifying performance at Spa was the worst he’d experienced during his time with them. Lewis Hamilton and George Russell will start from fourth and fifth on the grid respectively for tomorrow’s race at Spa after they recorded the seventh and eighth best times in Q3. The pair will gain three positions on the starting grid due to penalties for Max Verstappen, Charles Leclerc and Esteban Ocon.

Wolff admitted the 1.8-second margin between Verstappen and Hamilton’s best times in Q3 was an unacceptable performance for the team which took pole position for the last race before the summer break in Hungary. “You can’t be on pole three weeks before – albeit for very different conditions, different track – and then be 1.8 seconds off the pace, the next one,” Wolff said.

“There’s something which we totally don’t understand, or seem to get right. Clearly Red Bull is here in a league of their own. What is the next Ferrari, eight or nine tenths off? So I don’t know what that is, but that is no consolation. “It’s for me, the worst qualifying session that I had in 10 years. Irrespective of what positions we are going to start tomorrow and just even being on pole the [previous] weekend and then three weeks later being nowhere is just not acceptable for ourselves.”

‘Mercedes Worst Qualifying Session’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/08/27/...e-joined-them/

Hamilton calls 1.8s gap in qualifying 'a kick in the teeth' as Russell predicts Verstappen will win Belgian GP
    27 August 2022
    Formula 1.

The deflated Mercedes pair of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell ended up seventh and eighth fastest respectively in Spa qualifying, forcing them to reflect on a tough day in the office – with Hamilton calling the gap to pace-setter Verstappen “a kick in the teeth”, as Russell even predicted a win for the Dutchman, despite Verstappen’s P15 starting position after grid penalties.

Hamilton will start the race in fourth – after being promoted up the order due to Verstappen, Charles Leclerc and Esteban Ocon’s engine penalties – but the Briton could not hide his disappointment at the 1.8s gap to Verstappen’s fastest Q3 time, even admitting he would not miss driving the W13 at the end of the year.

“I mean, obviously everyone is working for improvements. And we came here very, very optimistic that we are going to be able to be close [the gap to Red Bull and Ferrari],” said Hamilton. “Half a second, who knows, but to be 1.8s behind is a real kick in the teeth. But it is what it is. It’s a car that we continue to struggle with and I definitely won’t miss it at the end of the year.”

‘A Kick In The Teeth';

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...zDDfRFsKn.html

Qualifying Highlights: Belgian Grand Prix
    27 Aug 2022
    Formula 1.

Watch highlights from qualifying at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix.

‘Qualifying Highlights’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...895643236.html

Not One F1 Driver Will Start Where They Qualified After Crazy Belgian GP Penalties.
    F1 qualifying: Seven grid penalties mean chaotic starting order in Belgium.
    Aug 27, 2022 5:35 PM
    By Eoin Harrington

F1 qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix threw up a bit of a bizarre scenario on Saturday afternoon, as the amount of grid penalties being taken by drivers up and down the field meant that not one driver will start Sunday's race in the position they qualified in.

Max Verstappen was fastest but, after taking a new engine, he was handed with a "back of the grid" penalty, meaning Carlos Sainz will start from pole. Verstappen's main championship rival Charles Leclerc also took a similar penalty, meaning the order at the front of the grid is quite shaken up for Sunday's race at Spa-Francorchamps.

The engine regulations in the sport dictate that drivers must take position drops if they exceed a certain amount of engine components over the course of the season. Seven drivers incurred those penalties ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, meaning that the grid looks rather different to how the running order looked at the end of qualifying.

‘Crazy Belgian GP Penalties’;

https://www.balls.ie/motorsport/f1-q...ies-spa-522132

Martin Brundle attacks 'ridiculous' grid penalty rules ahead of Belgian GP
    15:32, Sat, Aug 27, 2022
    By Luke Chillingsworth

MAX VERSTAPPEN and Charles Leclerc will start the Belgian Grand Prix from the back of the grid. Martin Brundle has attacked F1’s grid penalty system as “horribly confusing” and says it “looks ridiculous”. He said the current system seems a “bit silly” after seven drivers were issued penalties ahead of qualifying.

Six of those drivers, including title challengers Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc, have been ordered to start from the back of the grid. However, Brundle explained a penalty system to limit new parts was crucial to stop big teams from pulling away,

He said: “I’ve been shown how they calculate that, how they apply the penalties car by car and then move them back down again. It’s horribly confusing. It seems a bit silly, because the power units are around, they are in existence, as Christian Horner often says they do a world tour anyway..

‘Ridiculous Grid Penalty Rules’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ian-grand-prix

Verstappen aims to ‘survive Lap 1’ and take podium as dominant qualifying win turns to P15 on grid
    27 August 2022
    Formula 1.

Championship leader Max Verstappen took P1 in qualifying at Spa but will start 15th, while Red Bull team mate Sergio Perez finished the session in third and will be promoted to second on the grid for Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix. Both drivers shared their lofty aims for the race...

Verstappen’s Q3 lap ensured he would at least start ahead of rival Charles Leclerc – not to mention the rest of the drivers who copped back-of-grid penalties for engine penalties – and the Dutchman managed to set the fastest Q3 time by six tenths of a second.

Given his performance on Saturday and recent recovery from P10 to victory in Hungary, Verstappen said: “I think with the pace we have in the car, I want to move forward, and I want to be at least on the podium. “Yeah, I mean survive, of course, Lap 1 – that’s the most important [thing]. Then after that I need to pass a few cars before of course you get into a competitive position. I mean, it’s a bit like Hungary as well. Of course we’re a bit further back now, but the basics are the same.”

‘Survive Lap 1’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...1QellH7Gp.html

Sainz vs Perez, a mixed up grid, and Lap 1 slipstreaming – What To Watch For in the Belgian GP
    27 August 2022
    Special contributor
    Chris Medland

From the fastest driver in qualifying starting in 15th place to a top three grid position for Fernando Alonso; and from two drivers chasing their second wins of the season to a crucial tow on the opening lap, we pick out some key areas to keep an eye on when the lights go out at Spa-Francorchamps… 1. Verstappen’s charge from the back If you watched qualifying without knowing about any existing grid penalties, you might have been a bit confused by some of the tactics employed by certain teams, but probably not by the sight of Max Verstappen setting the fastest time.

2. Sainz vs Perez for the win Verstappen’s demotion – along with that of Charles Leclerc who qualified in fourth place but starts one position behind the Dutchman in 16th – means the front row will be made up of the other two Ferrari and Red Bull drivers, with Carlos Sainz on pole position from Sergio Perez. 3. Multiple other drivers out of position As already mentioned, the top two in the championship will start far down the order with Verstappen and Leclerc lining up alongside each other on the eighth row, but they’re not the only quick cars that need to produce a recovery drive.

4. Alonso and Albon’s lofty grid spots There are two other drivers who are somewhat out of position but in more positive terms, with Fernando Alonso starting from third place after outqualifying the Mercedes pair of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell. 5. A crucial tow on the opening lap Ironically, it can sometimes be better to exit the first corner in second position rather than first at Spa-Francorchamps due to the nature of the track layout in Belgium.

‘What To Watch For’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...L0PNYUd74.html

Sergio Pérez thinks Belgian GP victory is 'definitely' possible
    27 Aug 2022
    Formula 1.

Sergio Pérez thinks that a victory in Sunday's 2022 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix is "definitely" possible from P2 on the grid and the Red Bull driver "will go for it" at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.

‘Sergio Pérez Victory Is 'Definitely' Possible’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...018484060.html

Verstappen backed for blast-from-the-back Belgian GP win by F1 rivals
    Sunday 28 August 2022 04:00
    Sam Hall

Max Verstappen has been backed by his F1 rivals to deliver a crushing Belgian Grand Prix victory despite starting from 15th on the grid.

Asked if he anticipated the battle at the front to be purely between himself and Verstappen's Red Bull team-mate Sergio Perez, Sainz said: "Not entirely, no, especially with the pace Max has.

"As soon as there's either a safety car that can help him close the gap, or with the pace he has, if you translate it into 44 laps, he can come back, and we've seen him do it before."

‘Max Can Come Back’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/90...-win-red-bull/

STRATEGY GUIDE: What are the possible race strategies for the 2022 Belgian Grand Prix?
    28 August 2022
    Special contributor
    Chris Medland

Formula 1 is finally back after the mid-season break – and it’s back with a bang as the top two in the championship will start well down the order thanks to a raft of grid penalties. So ahead of the race, let’s take a look at the different strategic options available to the teams in Belgium. What’s the quickest strategy? It took a while for everyone to get a read on the tyres this weekend due to the tricky weather on Friday, when the two practice sessions took place in damp conditions.

How about a different option for the top 10? So for anyone who thinks they might struggle to make the softs last long enough at the start of the race, the next quickest strategy is a two-stopper. Usually it’s a clear choice between one or two stops, but at Spa-Francorchamps overtaking is not as difficult as at some venues and therefore track position is less valuable.

What are the options for the bottom half of the field? For a further variation of the two-stop strategy, some drivers can consider using softs on two occasions. It’s strange to include him in the “bottom half of the field” section, but Max Verstappen has that particular strategy open to him after saving two new sets of softs by only completing one run in Q3 – when he ended up comfortably quickest but has a grid penalty that sees him start 15th.

‘Wait, but what’s the weather doing?’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...rpukMd5Ar.html