Page 29 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Why Vettel’s eighth place at Imola was “like a victory”.
    Sebastian Vettel described his eighth place in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix as “like a victory” given how uncompetitive Aston Martin’s AMR22 Formula 1 car is.
    Apr 25 2022
    By Edd Straw

While it marks an upturn in fortunes for Aston Martin, it was primarily the consequence of a well-executed weekend for Vettel in a car that is still massively limited by its porpoising problem.
    He capitalised on the conditions to reach Q3, then ran in the points throughout the grand prix after climbing from 13th to eighth in the early stages – assisted by the collision between Daniel Ricciardo and Carlos Sainz and the damage sustained by Fernando Alonso’s Alpine.

“For us, it’s like a victory,” said Vettel. “To be honest, we are not the fastest at the minute. I think we are pretty much at the other side of the field, but we did really well. The weekend helped us with the conditions, but we managed to capitalise. We did great job on calling for the dries, and everybody else then I think copied what we did.”

‘Aston Martin Victory’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-v...ike-a-victory/

‘Vettel will make the car himself’: Fans react to ‘Inspector Seb’ after Imola qualifying
    Sebastian Vettel was seen having a peak at the ground effect aerodynamics on a number of cars after the sprint race in Imola.
    by Rob Kershaw
    24 April 2022

Sebastian Vettel was seen getting up to his usual antics in the aftermath of the 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix sprint race, much to the amusement of fans on social media.

The German started the race ninth after becoming the first Aston Martin driver this season to make it into Q3, but fell back during the 21-lap sprint as his tyres degraded, leaving him P13.

Vettel has earned himself a multitude of nicknames throughout his career – both “Fireman Seb” and “Scooter Seb” made an appearance in Australia – and footage of Parc Ferme in Imola on Saturday showcased the return of “Inspector Seb”.

‘Is it Fireman Seb? Is it Scooter Seb? NO, it is Inspector Seb!’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/vettel-wi...la-qualifying/

I didn’t appreciate how hard teams work at the back of the grid – Vettel
    2022 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix
    Posted on
    25th April 2022, 13:29 | Written by Keith Collantine and Claire Cottingham

“It’s like a victory,” he said. “We are not the fastest at the minute, I think we are pretty much at the other side of the field. But today we did really well.”

He ran seventh ahead of Charles Leclerc towards the end of the race but couldn’t keep the Ferrari behind. “Obviously I had no chance to hold Charles off in the end, he is like four seconds faster, three seconds faster,” said Vettel. “But if you tell us that we are fighting a Ferrari with four laps to go before the race, I would have taken it.”

The four-times world champion said he enjoyed the race despite not being in the hunt for higher places. “It’s still eighth position, so it’s not as enjoyable as winning. But to be honest I’ve driven a lot of races where I finished on the podium and I’ve done worse races, so I am very happy.”

‘Fighting a Ferrari’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/04/25/...e-grid-vettel/

Aston Martin motivation like 'making a dog jump without a cookie' - Vettel
    Ewan Gale
    Tuesday 26 April 2022 11:15

Sebastian Vettel has likened motivating Aston Martin to continue its hard work without scoring points was like trying to "make your dog jump without a cookie".

The German, who has labelled the result at Imola as "very important", added: "It is harsh, you work your arse off and when you have a good package, it is easy to score good results and then it is about perfection to deliver the perfect result. But the work that goes in at the back of the field, to be honest for many years I did not appreciate as much because I wasn't there.”

"It is the same work that goes in from all the people in the team and it is even harder because you don't get any reward after the race. Try to make your dog jump without a cookie to please him afterwards, it is hard. Good for them, I am happy for the team and good to get both cars in the points as well."

‘Very Important Result’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/81...cookie-vettel/

Aston Martin’s Mike Krack praised Vettel, Stroll for “faultless” performance in Imola
    By Ashley Cline
    April 28, 2022

The Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team earned their first points of the season at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, with a double-points finish. Sebastian Vettel took eighth, and Lance Stroll rounded out the points positions with a tenth-place result.

Aston Martin Team Principal Mike Krack, recounted the “faultless” drives of the Aston Martin pilots, who were able to maximise the opportunities the unique conditions offered them. Vettel’s amazing start and early switch to slicks allowed him to secure the impressive result, while Stroll’s opening lap brought him from fifteenth up to the edge of the points.

“Both Sebastian and Lance drove faultlessly in today’s tricky wet-to-dry race. In wet conditions, Sebastian vaulted into ninth on lap one, then comfortably raced inside the top 10 for the whole race. As the track dried, he was one of the very first drivers to roll the dice and switch from Intermediates to the Medium tyre. The team and he judged that stop perfectly and Sebastian then ran smoothly in P7 until the closing laps, when he dropped to eighth.”

‘Faultless Performance’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...ance-in-imola/

Imola a ‘flash in the pan’ for Aston Martin
    Date published: April 26 2022 - Michelle Foster

lf Schumacher has warned Aston Martin that their Imola double points-haul was likely a “flash in the pain” and he doesn’t expect them to be “that good” in Miami.

“I assume that Imola was a flash in the pan,” the former driver wrote in his latest Sky Germany column. “We’re going to Miami in two weeks. I don’t expect the Aston Martin to be that good. But it’s a new track, the temperatures will be higher. All teams have their problems. I’m curious how it will be.”

But while the German is not expecting much from Aston Martin, he was still impressed with their performance at Imola. “Sebastian Vettel did a much better job,” he said. “In Imola it became clear once again that he is simply a good rain driver. “What is striking is the Aston Martin is better in the rain than in the dry. I don’t think Vettel would have finished in the top ten in the dry. You saw that in the sprint. Things didn’t go as well then as later in the race. In the end, however, there is a strong eighth place.”

‘Flash In The Pan’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/imola-...-aston-martin/

Aston Martin keen to retain Vettel
    NEWS STORY
    26/04/2022

Aston Martin boss, Mike Krack admits that he is keen to retain Sebastian Vettel when the German's contract expires this season. Over the last few seasons however there has been much speculation over the German's desire to continue racing, but a number of performances, such as that on Sunday, suggest a Fernando Alonso-like Indian Summer for the Aston Martin driver.

However, ever the purist, like Alonso, for Vettel much depends on the machinery at his disposal and whether it will allow him to actually race. "It's a no brainer, my contract ends at the end of the season," said the four-time champ. "Obviously it's not the year that everyone in the team hoped for, at least the start of the season, but I think it would be bad to write it off already.”

"There's so many things we are currently struggling with when it comes to performance with our car, extracting the performance. I think others have the same or similar problems. So there's lots of things that we can still understand and learn, and the next weeks and months will be very, very important to set the direction for this year but also for learning and knowing what to do in the next three, four years.”

‘Fernando Alonso-like Indian Summer for the Aston Martin driver’;

https://www.pitpass.com/72359/Aston-...-retain-Vettel

Aston Martin boss wants car updates at every grand prix
    by Phillip Horton

Aston Martin needs to strive to bring updates to its AMR22 at every race in order to further unlock the potential of the car, according to team boss Mike Krack.

Krack explained that Aston Martin “wants to bring updates every race, [we] want to have continuous development and bring updates all the time – sometimes they are a bit bigger, sometimes a bit smaller, but it is important to keep the development alive.

“We have three main points that we are working on. One is aero, the most important one. Second one is car weight, very important as well. And the third one is how we can provide better feedback [from the car] to our drivers, that goes into the suspension, into the steering, these kinds of things, the set-up of the car.”

‘Updates At Every Grand Prix’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...ry-grand-prix/

Haas’ Günther Steiner: “We were just not fast enough for the others”
    “We would have wished to have got a little bit more today but after four races, and three with points, we took something home and I think there is more to come.”
    By Ashley Cline
    April 28, 2022

Haas F1 Team Principal, Günther Steiner, said the team’s result in Imola left something to be desired, as he hoped for a stronger finish to the sprint weekend. Kevin Magnussen took ninth-place, earning three-points total with his eighth-place sprint finish, while Mick Schumacher was unable to convert his tenth-place grid position to a finish in the points due to a first-lap incident with Fernando Alonso.

Ultimately, Steiner felt that Haas’ competitors outpaced them at Imola, which made it difficult for Schumacher to recover and for Magnussen to move forward in the field.

Steiner said that the team needs to keep developing as the season progresses. With Haas currently occupying eighth-place in the Constructors’ standings, he wants to see the team improve and put themselves on the sharp end of the tight midfield pack.

‘Haas Not Fast Enough’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...or-the-others/

Glock: Mick ‘trying too much’, driving with a ‘crowbar’
    Date published: April 28 2022 - Henry Valantine

Timo Glock believes Mick Schumacher is overdoing his driving somewhat at the moment, as he attempts to get on terms with Kevin Magnussen at Haas.

The former Toyota driver said in his punditry capacity on Sky Sport in Germany that Schumacher needs to work out when to just tone his efforts down slightly, believing that he has over-driven and mistakes have followed as a result.

“Of course, he also tries a bit too much with the crowbar one or two times, overdoes it one or two times,” he said. Glock did add that Schumacher has been “a bit unlucky” in the season so far, but “he has to see that he evaluates everything accordingly for himself well and takes the next step”, if he’s going to take the fight to his team-mate.

‘Crowbar Driving’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/timo-g...acher-crowbar/

Steiner says Haas in no rush to 'put the magic on'
    28/04/2022 at 16:10
    Andrew Lewin

Haas F1 Team boss Guenther Steiner says that the US-based squad isn't planning on making any big upgrades to the VF-22 at this stage of the season. The team suffered a wretched time in 2021, finishing the season at the bottom of the constructors championship after failing to score a single point.

He was in the top ten again in Jeddah and picked up more points in both the sprint and main race at Emilia Romagna, leaving Steiner confident that Haas has got it right this year without the need to rush in any upgrades.

“I’m not in any hurry to put the magic on the car and all that stuff," he told the media including Motorsportweek.com this week. “I want to see what we need to do, first of all we need to see where we are," he explained. "I want to make sure that when we put something on the car, you can see a difference.”

‘Put That Magic On’;

https://f1i.com/news/439688-steiner-...-magic-on.html

Kevin Magnussen: “Getting away with points in both the sprint and the main race, that’s a decent weekend”
    April 28, 2022
    By Ashley Cline

Haas F1 Team’s, Kevin Magnussen, added more points to the tally after a successful weekend at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. He earned himself a point in Saturday’s sprint, finishing eighth, and then two more with a ninth-place finish in the race.

“We scored points again – both yesterday and today – so that’s a good weekend. When we qualified P4, hopes were very high at the beginning, but we’ve got to be realistic as well and getting away with points in both the sprint and the main race, that’s a decent weekend.”

“At the beginning of the race, I was on intermediates and got up to P5 and the pace was pretty good. Then the track dried up and we were a bit late to come in for slicks, so we got undercut by a couple of people. We came out and fought for points – got two today, three points over the weekend – so it was pretty decent.”

‘Decent Weekend’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...ecent-weekend/

Ralf Schumacher criticises nephew Mick and urges him to 'do better'
    ‎27‎ ‎April‎ ‎09‎:‎30
    Author Michael Butterworth

After a promising start, Mick Schumacher's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix weekend turned sour as he spun twice and finished a lowly 17th in Sunday's race, prompting criticism from his uncle Ralf.

"He did a good job in dry conditions, and the result in the Sprint was great, but there were too many mistakes in the race," Ralf wrote in his column for Sky Sport Germany.

"Starting in rainy conditions is difficult. Even Daniel Ricciardo slid wide (on Lap 1, taking out Carlos Sainz). It can happen to anyone. "But the second mistake was just too much. It has to be said that this shouldn't happen."

‘Too Many Mistakes’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-ralf-s...micks-imola-gp

F1 driver Mick Schumacher welcomed Kevin Magnussen to Haas with a vulgar phrase and it set the tone for their strong relationship
    2022-04-28T16:29:10Z
    Cork Gaines

It has been a rollercoaster season for the American Haas team in Formula One, but one bright note has been the return of Kevin Magnussen.

While there may have been some initial concerns about how well Magnussen would get along with his new teammate, Mick Schumacher, those worries quickly went out the window with three words.

"Suck my balls!"

https://www.insider.com/f1-haas-driv...y-humor-2022-4

Schumacher waiting for 'avalanche moment' to end annoyance
    Friday 29 April 2022 17:00
    Sam Hall

Mick Schumacher is waiting for the "good moment" that starts an "avalanche" of results after leaving Imola one of just two drivers yet to register a point this season. Williams' Nicholas Latifi is the only other driver who has failed to finish in the top 10 alongside Schumacher, whose career-best finish with Haas was 11th in Bahrain.

Asked if his lack of points so far was a 'matter of luck', Schumacher replied: "I guess so. I had this kind of championship in the past where the first races didn’t go to plan and then once I had a good weekend things just started rolling like an avalanche so I'm just waiting for that good moment."

Although Schumacher is yet to score a point, Haas team-mate Kevin Magnussen has finished in the top 10 in three out of the four races to date to collect 15.

‘Waiting For An Avalanche’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/81...end-annoyance/

Kevin Magnussen asked his wife for permission to return to Formula 1 after he had already accepted the job
    2022-04-28T17:44:41Z
    Cork Gaines

Taking risks is in the nature of race car drivers, but Kevin Magnussen may have taken it a step further when he agreed to rejoin Haas before the season.

During a recent interview with Tom Kollmar and Michel Milewski for the German magazine Sport Bild, Magnussen was asked what the call was like when team principal Guenther Steiner called and asked him to come back to Formula One. Magnussen might have handled the situation backward.

"He quickly got to the point and asked me, 'Do you want to go back to Formula 1, and are you ready for it?'" Magnussen told Sport Bild. "I didn't think for a second. I immediately agreed. After that, I called my wife and asked her for her permission."

‘Wife Gave Permission’;

https://www.insider.com/kevin-magnus...steiner-2022-4

Alex Albon revelling time at Williams after P11 finish at Imola.
    Williams driver Alex Albon said he was pleased with the approach the team took to the Grand Prix at Imola on Sunday, as they finished just outside of the top ten.
    Published: 25 Apr 2022, 12:09
    By George Dagless

“I was really happy with it. We maximised what we could do…” Albon said to the gathered press at Imola, including Give Me Sport. “We don’t have the fastest car but we make the most of our opportunities and it’s a shame we missed out on the points by one position but it shows you we’re taking opportunities and doing things differently and we almost made it work again.”

Albon was also asked how confident he was feeling after another strong display following on from his point in Australia:

“It feels very good, I feel really comfortable in the car and confident with it and I feel like I can push it straight away. I’m still understanding the car and the best way to drive it but for now it’s a great place to start and hopefully once we get some upgrades we can make that next step into the midfield.”

‘Revelling Time’;

https://www.givemesport.com/87999532...1-finish-imola

“It’s a shame that we missed out on points by one place” – Alex Albon
    By Nick Golding
    April 29, 2022

Alex Albon came within touching distance of back-to-back points finishes, after finishing eleventh at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. Team-mate Nicholas Latifi finished sixteenth at the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari.

Albon put in a defensive masterclass at Imola, after holding Pierre Gasly and Lewis Hamilton behind virtually the entire race. The Thai driver, who started eighteenth, drove superbly last Sunday and maximised every opportunity that arose.

Albon had actually crossed the line in twelfth but was elevated to eleventh, following Esteban Ocon’s five-second time penalty.

‘Touching Distance’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...ce-alex-albon/

“It’s a shame we couldn’t get a few more places” – Williams’ Dave Robson
    By Nick Golding
    April 29, 2022

Having started in eighteenth, Albon drove brilliantly all race at the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari Circuit in what were challenging conditions. All drivers began the race on Intermediate tyres, due to a sudden downpour before the race took place. During the race though the track did dry up, with Albon timing the switch perfectly. This saw the Thai driver leap up the order and into twelfth-place.

Williams’ Head of Vehicle Performance, Dave Robson, believes the team took their opportunities well. Robson also praised Latifi for his stint on the medium tyres.

“Today’s mixed conditions made for some difficult decisions, but we took our opportunities well and can be pleased with the result. Alex drove really well, spending his entire stint on the Medium tyres both in the dirty air from Ocon and with Gasly constantly applying pressure behind. It’s a shame we couldn’t get a few more places when we first switched to the Medium tyre as the car was working really well at that point.”

Taking the Opportunities’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...s-dave-robson/

Albon thought his Imola drive matched Melbourne

Date published: April 27 2022 - Sam Cooper

Williams‘ Alex Albon says he believes his drive at Imola was as good as his heroics in the Australian Grand Prix. Albon has impressed since returning to the Formula 1 grid this season. It took him only three races to earn his first point of the campaign and he has so far handled the transition from a top team like Red Bull to one challenging lower down the field in the form of Williams.

“Honestly, I was really happy with it – it felt like it was just as good as Melbourne for me,” said Albon, as reported by motorsport.com. “We maximised what we could do. We overtook some cars on track with pace and then they were quicker than us, and we held off.”

‘Maximised what we could do’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alex-a...ola-melbourne/

Albon 'almost made it work' at Emilia Romagna GP
    26/04/2022 at 15:53
    Phillip van Osten

Alex Albon continues to make the most of the opportunities that come his way, with the Williams driver nearly scoring at Imola his second top-ten finish in succession. Albon failed to set a time in qualifying due to a brake failure which left the Williams charger P18 on Sunday's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix grid.

"We maximised what we could do," explained the 26-year-old. "We overtook some cars on-track, with pace, and then they were quicker than us, and we held off. We obviously had a low downforce configuration for this weekend: not fun for the others, but for us, it kept us in front.”

"We don't have the fastest car out there, but we're making the most of our opportunities, and I feel like it's a shame we missed out on points by one position. But it just shows you that we're taking opportunities and we're doing things different, and we almost made it work again [after the Australian Grand Prix]."

‘Almost made it work’;

https://f1i.com/news/439571-albon-al...omagna-gp.html

Albon says ‘an extra few tenths’ will see Williams scoring regularly in 2022
    26 April 2022
    Formula 1

Despite missing out on points at Imola, Alex Albon left the Italian track with a smile as he reflected on the pace and potential of his Williams FW44, in which he finished 11th on Sunday.

A brake fire (below) put Albon at the back for the Sprint, in which he finished 18th. On Sunday he recovered, taking four places early on. The Thai driver then pitted earlier than most, on Lap 17, the undercut helping him lead a train of cars from P12 backwards and gain an extra place when Esteban Ocon was handed a five-second penalty.

“It feels good. I feel like the race went just as well as Melbourne to some extent,” he said, referencing the last race in Australia, where he scored Williams' first point of the year. “We didn’t have the tyre advantage or the pace advantage that we did over there, but we still made the most of our opportunities and we got the undercut, we overtook a couple of cars on track, and I felt like... if we'd had DRS available a bit earlier, we could have made a few more steps forward.”

‘An Extra Few Tenths’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...NsaeBmpl7.html

LONG READ: Alex Albon's long road back to F1 – and why he believes Williams have what it takes to improve
    23 April 2022
    Special contributor
    Justin Hynes

It’s a new era of F1 for one driver more than any other – Alex Albon. After a year out the Thai driver is back on the grid with Williams, and is once again displaying the tenacious commitment and aggression that first launched him into the big league…

Alex Albon’s career has always been defined by the gritty comeback. Throughout his junior career the Thai racer struggled to stitch together consistent programmes that would allow him to progress. Even in his best year in F2 with DAMS in 2018, survival in the series in the early part of the season depended entirely on results.

But when he completed that comeback from the brink to finish third in the standings behind George Russell and Lando Norris, Albon was the only one of the top three not to be locked into a 2019 F1 drive. He signed for Nissan in Formula E, but at the 11th hour, once again jumped back into the limelight when he secured a seat in F1 with Toro Rosso.

‘Gritty Comeback Alex Albon’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...uQLikb0VJ.html

Alpine damage was ‘like something out of a movie’.
    Pulling into the pits, hoping for his car to be repaired, Alonso was told the damage is “quite bad mate, quite bad” and the car was retired.
    Date published: April 26 2022 - Michelle Foster

Fernando Alonso was “unlucky” at Imola as a mere “caress” from Mick Schumacher caused major damage to his Alpine’s sidepod.

“Again we were quite unlucky,” Mundo Deportivo quotes him as having told DAZN F1 in the immediate aftermath of his retirement. “I think, because for factors that were not in our hands… that Mick spun and touched us or caressed us, because it was also not a strong blow, it destroyed our entire car.”

“These are things that look like something out of a movie. They are all happening to us at this start of the season, so we have to think about the next one.”

‘Something Out Of A Movie’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine...ut-of-a-movie/

‘Just a small kiss from Mick completely destroyed our car’ – Alonso
    2022 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix
    Posted on 24th April 2022, 16:13
    Written by Keith Collantine and Claire Cottingham

Fernando Alonso was left to rue more misfortune after retiring early from the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix with damage. A large hole appeared in his right-hand sidepod following contact with Mick Schumacher on the first lap. Alonso was surprised at the extent of the damage, relative to the contact.

“I didn’t feel much, obviously it was a very, very small touch with Mick,” he said. “I only saw on the replay and obviously that was enough to destroy my car. “I think there are a lot of unlucky moments so far for me in the championship, out of my hands or my control, and this is another example,” he said.

“I prefer to finish the season better than start it good and then finish it bad,” he added. “So if you want to choose one way, it’s the other way around and finish on a better performance. But at the same time obviously when you see the races on TV, and I’ve been seeing too many at the moment in the first four, to have only two points in the championship, while I should have maybe 25 or 30, that’s painful.”

‘Just A Small Kiss’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/04/24/...ur-car-alonso/

Alonso rues missed points: I could have scored 30 and I only have two!
    ‎26‎ ‎April‎ ‎07‎:‎50
    Author Tom Leach

Fernando Alonso believes he could have scored as many as 30 points during the opening four races of the 2022 season – but instead, he only counts two. The two-time World Champion will feel he has already been dealt a year's worth of misfortune in just a handful of race weekends.

Looking back on the weekend, Alonso said: "It was another unfortunate race for us this season. We made a decent start and moved up to eighth but there was a lot of damage on the right side of my floor, and on the sidepod, so we had no choice but to retire.”

"It's unlucky as a small brush with Mick, which wasn't intentional, destroyed our car and race. After Australia, I feel that I could have scored 20 or 30 points in the championship, and I have only two. It's unlucky! It's a long season and there are plenty of points still to score."

‘Only Two Points’;

https://racingnews365.com/alonso-rue...-only-have-two

Alpine enjoy ‘important’ track time in Pirelli test
    Date published: April 27 2022 - Jamie Woodhouse

Alpine had the chance to gather 124 more laps of data early in this new era of Formula 1 through a tyre test at Imola. Formula 1’s tyre manufacturer Pirelli have 25 days of testing available to them during the 2022 season when they will work with the teams to test their prototype tyres for the 2023 campaign.

At Imola, following the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, Esteban Ocon was in action for Alpine, driving the A522 on Tuesday for Pirelli tyre testing duties. Over the day, the Frenchman pumped in 124 laps, which he explained at this stage represents precious extra track time to understand these new cars.

With only four races gone in the 2022 season, teams and drivers are still at the very early stages of understanding and optimising the new ground-effect challengers. “So job done today, we just finished the Pirelli tyre test for us at Imola,” said Ocon in a video on Alpine’s Twitter channel.

‘Important Track Time’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/esteba...li-test-imola/

Alpine’s performance makes 2022 a ‘success’ already
    Date published: April 29 2022 - Jamie Woodhouse

Alpine are optimising the working relationship between their chassis and engine bases, and already are happy with the progress. Alpine’s chassis team is based at Enstone, though their Renault power units come from Viry in France.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, Alpine’s engine chief Bruno Famin said: “My priorities are to make Viry even better, and everyone did a great job for 2022, as well as for next season. “Having the best power unit, but also a better car, working closer and closer with Enstone.”

“The big step is what you see on the grid, because we don’t know the figures of the others, only our own, we see that the car is going in the right direction. What matters to me is the performance of the car, maybe we could have had better data on the dyno, but with a slower result.”

‘EL PLAN: Working Relationship Optimisation’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine...-2022-success/

Szafnauer says Alpine must focus on improving race pace
    28/04/2022 at 09:51
    Andrew Lewin

Alpine F1 team principal Otmar Szafnauer says they the squad needs to improve its race performance over the course of the next few races to match the strong single lap speed it has been achieving in practice and qualifying.

“The good news is the car is quick,” Szafnauer told Motorsport.com in Imola. “One lap pace looks good, we just have to work a little bit on a race pace. Fernando frustratingly was quick enough to be fifth and scored nothing again. Mick spun and hit him and that was it, the end of his race," he noted “Once he damaged the side pod it flew off.”

"We had no choice but to pit him. A big hole in the side pod and a lot of damage to the floor, but nothing else, thankfully. The bad news is we had Esteban on the back foot because of a gearbox issue and then him starting in 19th," he continued. "I think it was kind of good that he ended up 11th."

‘Improving Race Pace’;

https://f1i.com/news/439677-szafnaue...race-pace.html

“We must make sure this does not happen again” – Alpine’s Laurent Rossi
    April 28, 2022
    By Nick Golding

The Alpine F1 Team suffered a highly-disappointing Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, as the team saw their points run come to an end after Esteban Ocon finished fourteenth and Fernando Alonso retired.

Alpine CEO, Laurent Rossi, was extremely disappointed with the result, Rossi went as far as saying “We must make sure this does not happen again. Plain and simple, this weekend was a disappointing one for the team and it’s the first race of the season where we leave without scoring points. We must make sure this does not happen again this year as we have much stronger potential than that. As a team there are many areas we must improve, and we must also eradicate errors quickly if we are to achieve our ambitious goals.”

“While we feel frustrated by today’s result, we will count on it as additional motivation to not have this feeling again during the year. I’m confident in the team to keep working hard and we absolutely must bounce back next time in Miami.”

‘Additional Motivation For A Bounce Back’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...laurent-rossi/

De Meo denies Alpine treading water in F1
    APRIL 29, 2022

Alpine is in the building phase that led to the kind of success enjoyed in Formula 1 recently by the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes. Some think the Renault-owned works team is basically treading water in F1 with a project that always seems to be somewhere around the upper midfield.

Is it too early for the Enstone based team to make a prediction about its 2022 season? "To draw conclusions? Yes, although some observations are legitimate," said de Meo. "First of all, there is no doubt that the new engine works. The chassis and aerodynamics, the technicians swear to me, are based on evolving concepts.”

"It means that we have perhaps greater margins for improvement than teams that have chosen more extreme approaches," he added. "We have brought in or moved around important figures such as Harman, Szafnauer, Famin, Pat Fry. I figured it would take a year to put the house in order.”

‘Greater Margins For Improvement’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/de-me...ter-in-f1.html

A brand new circuit, Ferrari's fightback and more – 5 storylines we’re excited for ahead of the 2022 Miami Grand Prix.
    So now it’s Ferrari who will want to recover from a tough weekend, and get back to the sort of form that saw Leclerc dominate in Melbourne.
    02 May 2022

Special contributor
    Chris Medland

I’m not sure if you’ve heard, but we’ve got a new race on the calendar this year, and the trip to Florida is up next. Ahead of what promises to be a spectacular weekend, we take a look at some of the topics we think will be making the headlines at the Miami Grand Prix.

1. Miami gets set to make its bow

2. A new circuit to tame

3. Ferrari now looking to respond

4. Mercedes bringing more upgrades?

5. An epic fight for points

‘Ferrari Fightback’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...rkVMiT97w.html

Video: Go behind the scenes as hope turns to pain for Ferrari at Imola
    ‎01‎ ‎May‎ ‎11‎:‎10
    Author RacingNews365 Staff

Ferrari have released a video offering a behind-the-scenes look at their experiences during the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, a weekend that began with such promise but ended in pain for the Tifosi.

The event started with celebration and promise as the team, leading the World Championship standings, announced a new deal for Carlos Sainz.

But Sainz crashed in both qualifying and the race and, with Charles Leclerc having hit the wall on Sunday, it was Red Bull who left Italy feeling positive.

‘Tifosi Video’;

https://racingnews365.com/video-go-b...rrari-at-imola

Ferrari will deploy extra power in Miami GP, Binotto confirms aero upgrade
    Ferrari are said to have been keeping more power in their back pocket throughout the first four races of the 2022 season.
    by Rob Kershaw
    30 April 202230 April 2022

It was reported after Leclerc and Sainz took a one-two at the Bahrain Grand Prix that the Maranello squad had more power at their disposal if they wanted to use it, but they have spent the first four races assessing their performance and discerning how best to counter Red Bull’s development.

On top of that, Ferrari are introducing an evolved rear wing that aims to compete with Red Bull, having been nearly 4kph adrift of the Milton Keynes-based team on the straights at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

Team principal Mattia Binotto is aware of the prowess of the Red Bull chassis coupled with its powerful Honda-manufactured engine, so would like to match them in that department on the tracks where more straight-line speed is very important.

‘Ferrari Aero Upgrades’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-w...-aero-upgrade/

Ferrari chairman: Winning the title would be like 'going to Mars'
    ‎01‎ ‎May‎ ‎16‎:‎10
    Author Tom Leach

John Elkann, chairman of Ferrari, has explained how the team moved from midfield fighters to early-season pace setters in 2022. Speaking to F1TV following Ferrari's fine start to 2022, Elkann admitted that taking the step from winning races to clinching the title remains a big challenge.

"We said we'd be competitive, which we are," he explained. "From being competitive to winning, it's like going to the moon or going to Mars. [It's] extremely difficult.”

"We well know that championships are won or lost at the last race, or the last lap, and these are with variables we control and many that we don't, which is why Formula 1 is such an exciting sport. And we are, as Ferrari, so excited about this challenge."

‘Going to Mars’;

https://racingnews365.com/ferrari-ch...-going-to-mars

Why Ferrari still won’t have its ‘main’ car update in Miami
    03/05/2022, 09:23
    By Scott Mitchell

Ferrari will not introduce its “main” Formula 1 car upgrade until after the next race in Miami. Although it made some minor changes to the car during testing, including to the floor, Ferrari did not introduce new parts once the season began beyond a lower-downforce rear wing for the demands of the Jeddah Corniche circuit in Saudi Arabia.

Ferrari chose not to reveal its update at Imola because of the schedule for the weekend, with just one free practice session ahead of Friday’s qualifying session because it was the first sprint event of the season.

A new floor will not come at the next race in Miami either, because Ferrari is instead planning a new, circuit-specific downforce configuration there. There could be further tweaks to help improve the porpoising that is costing Ferrari some performance too.

‘Ferrari “main” Formula 1 car upgrade’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-f...date-in-miami/

Ferrari chairman attributes turnaround to cutting out guilt from the Scuderia
    Charles Leclerc has won two of the opening four rounds of the 2022 Formula 1 season for Ferrari.
    2 May 20222 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Ferrari chairman John Elkann has detailed the changes to the mentality of everyone at the team that has led to their tremendous start to the 2022 season.

Part of the reason for the turn in fortunes was a paradigm shift at the team they saw their mindset change from self-sympathy to galvanisation and a burning desire to win as a team.

“We changed also our culture, from one of guilt to one of accountability, from one of individuals to one of a team,” Elkann explained. “[We] created a cohesive environment but, more importantly, high ambition with high humility.”

‘Changes to High Ambition, High Humility’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-c...-the-scuderia/

Ferrari bouncing compliance bewilders Binotto
    Sunday 1 May 2022 13:00
    Ian Parkes

Asked if he could explain why Ferrari still had pace whilst bouncing, Binotto replied: "I don’t know how that’s possible. I don't know why the others are not as quick as we are on porpoising.

"But it's true that we are still suffering from it, since the very start of the winter testing. We put some actions on the car to try to mitigate it but it's not yet been addressed and solved.

"It's always a compromise between trying to solve it and give up some performance, while maybe in the meantime, you expect to have some porpoising and get the best out of your car. "

‘Compromises’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/81...lders-binotto/

Berger: Psychology behind Ferrari’s driver comments
    Date published: April 30 2022 - Jamie Woodhouse

Ex-Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger believes team boss Mattia Binotto talks of having the best driver line-up to boost motivation.

Binotto had previously claimed that in Leclerc and Sainz, Ferrari house the best driver line-up in Formula 1, repeating that viewpoint after Sainz’s contract extension had been announced. Berger feels such statements are made for psychological reasons to keep the good vibes circulating.

“These are statements that are common in this situation, no matter what you think,” said Berger, quoted by Speedweek.com. “It raises the motivation of the drivers. And since the second one (Sainz) has also been signed up for longer you have to underline that, of course.”

‘Mattia Binotto Psychology’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/gerhar...er-psychology/

'Difficult' for Ferrari to match Red Bull development but Leclerc remains confident.
    Charles Leclerc: “To keep up with Red Bull in terms of development will be difficult, but the same team that did this car will work on the development for this year’s car, so I am confident.”
    30 April 2022
    Ben Issatt

“I know underneath me I have a car that is capable of winning," Leclerc said. “So the mindset is a little bit different this year. There is no reason for us to be on the back foot because we’ve done a great job, or the guys at Maranello have done a great job, building up this car for this year.”

“There are some developments coming and I’m confident it will go in the right direction. I wouldn’t focus too much on the others. I think we need to focus on ourselves.”

Ferrari's rate of development has been their problem though in recent championship bids in 2017 and 2018, but Leclerc is sure lessons have been learnt. "Since the last two years, I've really seen a jump in the way we've analysed every weekend, in the way we have identified also our weaknesses and how quick we were to react to try and get better in the places where we were struggling," he said.

‘Matching Red Bull Development Difficult’;

https://www.insideracing.com/formula...ains-confident

Red Bull set for major off-track investment to secure further success
    Michael Butterworth
    Co-author Jesse Janse

With McLaren and Aston Martin currently in the process of constructing new wind tunnels, Red Bull seem set to join the party – even though such facilities may be outlawed by the end of the decade.

It is understood that a new wind tunnel would be situated on-site at Red Bull's headquarters in Milton Keynes, in contrast to the team's current wind tunnel facility, which is located in Bedford, a 30-minute drive away.

"We are in the phase where the plan still has to be approved," Red Bull special advisor Helmut Marko was quoted as saying by Auto Motor und Sport. Should Red Bull press ahead with plans, they would echo the actions of Aston Martin and McLaren, both of whom are investing in wind tunnels and other associated infrastructure – including, in Aston Martin's case, a new factory.

‘Red Bull Major Off-Track Investment’;

https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-s...urther-success

Perez tips Red Bull to ‘dominate next few years’
    Date published: May 1 2022 - Jamie Woodhouse

Sergio Perez made the bold prediction that his Red Bull team will “dominate” Formula 1 in the coming seasons. The scores are even so far, Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and Verstappen both have two victories apiece, but Perez believes that Red Bull are in position do embark on a fresh dominant run from here.

In an interview with Chacho López, Perez said: “We still have a lot of problems to solve, but the main thing is that we are competitive and Red Bull is set to dominate the next few years with these new regulations.” Poor reliability certainly hampered the Austrian outfit in the opening rounds, Verstappen twice retiring while running P2 in Bahrain and Australia, while Perez was also forced to retire in Bahrain.

So, without that misfortune, Perez says Red Bull would comfortably have been the leading force at this stage of the season. As it stands, Verstappen trails Leclerc by 27 points, while Red Bull are 11 points behind Ferrari in the Constructors’ Championship.

‘Red Bull Domination’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio...ll-domination/

Red Bull Ferrari "playing poker" with "leapfrog" developments - Hill
    Tuesday 3 May 2022 16:14
    Sam Hall

At Imola, Red Bull seized the upper hand after bolting on a number of upgrades, but with Ferrari set to bring a package of its own to Miami this weekend, the picture could change yet again.

“They’re sitting down and thinking about it more and it’s a bit like playing poker," Hill told the F1 Nation Podcast.

"You need to know which card to lay down and when. Do they play their ace now or do they wait a couple of races until they’re absolutely sure that what they’re going to play is the winning hand?"

‘Red Bull & Ferrari ‘Leapfrog’ Poker’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/81...lopments-hill/

Perez insists Red Bull aren’t forcing him to ‘be behind’ Verstappen
    Sergio Perez has re-emphasised his desire to become world champion at Red Bull.
    by Rob Kershaw
    2 May 20222 May 2022

Red Bull’s Sergio Perez has reiterated that he is not at Red Bull to solely serve as backup to Max Verstappen, and he intends to compete for world titles at the team.

Perez is adamant that his role at Red Bull is not one of servitude to the 24-year-old, and his aim is to win the championship with the Austrian side. “Red Bull gives me the opportunity to fight for the championship, nowhere does it say that I have to be behind Max,” he told Fox.

“If he’s won, it’s because he’s been stronger on track. I feel that I have the opportunity to be World Champion with Red Bull.” The 32-year-old indicated that there would be little point to his presence in the pinnacle of motorsport were he not fully intent of becoming a world champion, which he is.

‘If he’s won, it’s because he’s been stronger on track’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/perez-ins...nd-verstappen/

Perez: Being second driver would be ‘disrespectful’
    Date published: April 30 2022 - Jamie Woodhouse

Sergio Perez says he would not be in Formula 1 if he was the defined second driver at Red Bull – as it would disrespect his career.

Perez endured many of the struggles of Alex Albon and Pierre Gasly before him, often adrift of Verstappen’s performance level, but the major regulation changes for 2022 have coincided with a much more competitive Perez.

Nonetheless, Perez is, from outside Red Bull, widely regarded as the second driver, there to support Verstappen and Red Bull’s push for the Constructors’ title. But Perez says he is not in any such defined role and would never accept it.

‘Sergio Perez is not the second driver’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergio...second-driver/

Rosberg praises key Verstappen trait that has blown title fight 'wide open'
    ‎30‎ ‎April‎ ‎17‎:‎00
    Author Tom Leach
    Co-author Mike Seymour

Max Verstappen added to his F1 accolades at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix by completed his second career Grand Slam, and Nico Rosberg has praised the Red Bull driver for keeping the World Championship fight alive.

Verstappen made history at Imola as he completed his second Grand Slam, joining an elite list of F1 greats to have done the same. This means that he not only took pole position and the race victory, but also led every lap and claimed the fastest lap of the Grand Prix. It came on a weekend that saw Red Bull take risks by implementing upgrades, despite the limited time to trial them ahead of qualifying.

"It looks like Red Bull have really made progress with their reliability and sorted the issues. And then, really, it's again about Max Verstappen," said Rosberg, speaking to Sky Sports F1. "The whole weekend, [he was] just nailing it whenever it counted. He was just in a league of his own; an unbelievable job by him, and really putting the marker down and saying: 'Hey, I'm not out of this championship yet. I'm back right in there.'"

‘Title Fight Wide Open’;

https://racingnews365.com/rosberg-pr...ight-wide-open

Jos Verstappen admits he 'enjoyed' watching son Max lap Hamilton
    ‎26‎ ‎April‎ ‎10‎:‎20
    Author Thomas Maher

With Verstappen lapping Hamilton on Lap 43 of 63, something that seemed unthinkable just a few months ago at the height of their titanic 2021 title battle, Jos admitted he got a kick out of the moment.

"Honestly, I did enjoy seeing Max lap Hamilton, after everything that happened last year," Verstappen senior wrote on the Verstappen.com website.

"Hamilton really had a tough time, whereas his teammate, George Russell, seemed to be more balanced. "It's not often you have the opportunity to lap a Mercedes."

‘Lapping a Mercedes’;

https://racingnews365.com/jos-versta...x-lap-hamilton

Nico Rosberg suggests Lewis Hamilton should blame himself before his Mercedes for his 13th-place finish in the Emilia Romagna GP after team-mate George Russell came fourth.
    Rosberg believes the apology Mercedes chief Toto Wolff gave Hamilton for the car needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, adding that team-mate George Russell's fourth-place finish in the race is proof.
    By Jack Bezants for MailOnline
    Published: 10:43, 26 April 2022

Lewis Hamilton should blame himself before his Mercedes car for his 13th place finish in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at the weekend, claims old team-mate Nico Rosberg.

Wolff was recorded saying to Hamilton, who was lapped by rival and winner Max Versappen late on in the race: 'Sorry for what you have needed to drive today. I know this is undriveable and not what we deserve to score as a result. 'We’ll move from there, but this was a terrible race. We will come out of this.'”

But Rosberg was unconvinced, telling Sky Sports F1: 'Toto was playing the mental game, which is very smart on his behalf. 'Mercedes are taking the blame themselves, really trying to support Lewis mentally, lifting him up and saying, "hey, Lewis, it’s not your doing, it’s really on us". That’s very smart because it’s not quite the truth.”

‘Pinch Of Salt’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ce-finish.html

Hamilton answers whether the W13 is the worst F1 car he's ever driven
    ‎26‎ ‎April‎ ‎15‎:‎20
    Author Michael Butterworth
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

After finishing a lowly 13th in Sunday's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix and having already conceded defeat in the 2022 title race, Lewis Hamilton is at an uncharacteristically low ebb in his illustrious career.

But while the Silver Arrows' W13 is proving a tricky beast to tame, Hamilton says the McLaren MP4-24 he drove in 2009 began that season in even worse shape.

"There are people that watch and say that I've never had a bad car," Hamilton said after finishing 14th in the Imola Sprint event on Saturday. "And I can assure you I have. The 2009 car was very, very far off, and was the worst car that I've had."

‘Low ebb’;

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-a...es-ever-driven

Did Mercedes give Hamilton a slower car than Russell at Imola?
    George Russell ended the 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in P4, nine positions clear of team-mate Sir Lewis Hamilton.
    by Rob Kershaw
    25 April 202225 April 2022

Chief strategist James Vowles conceded that it was “painful” to add weight to an already excessive heavy car, but they need the crucial information if they are to improve their wavering form in 2022.

Vowles revealed that there are various components that weigh different amounts between the cars, and praised Hamilton’s pace despite having the heavier and, therefore presumably, slightly slower car. “In terms of how it worked between the two cars, there are thousands of components that make up the racing car for George and for Lewis,” he explained.

“And those components don’t weigh exactly the same amount, there is variability of a few grams here and there and the actual car weight as mentioned on the FIA scales between the two cars in the race was within a few grams of each other, so Lewis did a fantastic job by carrying these extra sensors.”

‘Slower Car for Lewis Hamilton’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/did-merce...sell-at-imola/

SEVERE: Lewis Hamilton backed to ‘come back incredibly strong’ by Mercedes teammate George Russell despite Formula 1 car that gives ‘back and chest pains’
    Connor Andrews
    25th April 2022, 4:46 pm

George Russell has backed his teammate Lewis Hamilton to ‘come back so strong’ despite the pair suffering with a Mercedes car that is giving them ‘chest pains’.

It was put to Russell that he was able to get more out of the Mercedes than his more experienced teammate, claims which he candidly dismissed. “I think it’s just how things fall out sometimes in a race weekend,” he said.

“I made a very strong start. I don’t know what happened with him [Hamilton] at the start, but we are equally struggling, and when the car is so far out of bed, and it’s not in the right window, it doesn’t really feel like a proper racing car to drive.

‘Come Back Incredibly Strong’;

https://talksport.com/sport/motorsport/1094487/

Wolff explains his ‘undriveable’ car apology to Hamilton
    24th April 2022, 19:02
    By Josh Suttill & Scott Mitchell & Edd Straw

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff has explained why he apologised to seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton for his “undriveable” car as he started and finished the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in 14th place.

“I don’t really know, I just wasn’t fast enough to overtake him,” a bemused Hamilton said when asked why he spent over 40 laps behind Gasly. It brought to an end a truly miserable weekend for Hamilton as he failed to finish inside the top 10 in either qualifying or the race for the first time since the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.

Wolff said he needs “to protect” Hamilton as it’s the car performance deficit causing this low, not Hamilton’s driving. “This guy is the best driver in the world, and he is not having a machine and equipment underneath him to be able to execute and to take that,” Wolff said. “In a way, it is even irrelevant whether you come eighth, 12th, 15th, it doesn’t matter, it’s all bad.”

‘Undriveable Miserable Weekend’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/wolff...y-to-hamilton/

Russell Mercedes strife eased by Williams experience
    Tuesday 3 May 2022 17:30
    Sam Hall

George Russell believes a tough three years at Williams has helped him to cope with Mercedes' wretched start to the season. Russell joined the F1 grid with Williams in 2019 but it was not until last year that the Briton scored his first F1 points for the team at the 48th attempt.

Russell believes this harsh entry into the sport has equipped him with the necessary tools to cope with Mercedes' slide down the order. “It has just been difficult. It’s a really difficult position for us as a team and perhaps with my struggles at Williams driving very difficult cars, maybe that has helped in some small regard," Russell explained.

Russell "getting the most" out of Mercedes After four races, Russell is the only driver to have an unblemished record of top-five finishes. Conscious that this street has been aided by the reliability issues and errors of others, Russell added: "I think in terms of results, we’re definitely getting the most out of it and things have definitely fallen our way in these first four races.

‘Unblemished Record of Top 5 Finishes’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/81...ms-experience/

George Russell 'will soon get on Lewis Hamilton's nerves', claims ex-F1 star Gerhard Berger after the new British star at Mercedes makes strong start to the season at the expense of his seven-time world champion team-mate
    By Dan Ripley for MailOnline
    Published: 08:56, 2 May 2022

Former F1 star Gerhard Berger believes George Russell will soon 'get on the nerves' of team-mate Lewis Hamilton if he maintains his narrow early season advantage.

Berger, who won 10 grands prix in a career spanning from 1984 to 1997, believes that while the relationship between the pair has been good so far it won't take long for Russell to become an irritant to Hamilton should the early season form continue.

'He will soon get on Lewis' nerves,' the former McLaren and Ferrari star was quoted by Speedweek.com. 'Russell was one of the outstanding drivers at Imola. Like Lando Norris and Max Verstappen.'

‘Getting On The Nerves!’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rd-Berger.html

‘His career could be over’: Hamilton retirement warning issued after he wasted his ‘last chance’
    Valtteri Bottas sits just four points behind Sir Lewis Hamilton in the Drivers' Championship after four rounds of 2022.
    30 April 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Former Ferrari and McLaren driver Gerhard Berger indicates that Hamilton may consider walking away from the pinnacle of motorsport if Mercedes are unable to find solutions to their troubles, especially after the manner in which his eighth title was cruelly snatched from his grasp by Max Verstappen last year.

“The title that slipped through his fingers against Verstappen last year was perhaps his last chance to be the sole record world champion,” Berger said.

“If it doesn’t work out this year and possibly next year, then his career could be over. After so many races, so much dominance and so many successes, I can imagine that in this situation the desire is lost.” The Austrian added that the incrementally impressive performances of Russell “will soon get on Lewis’ nerves.”

‘Lost Desire’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/his-caree...s-last-chance/

Miami GP: 5 big questions that need answers this weekend.
    Will the circuit entertain? Will McLaren take more strides? How will Charles Leclerc respond? Will Fernando Alonso’s luck change? Will Max Verstappen keep up his streak?
    Published: 5 May 2022, 08:11
    By George Dagless

The Miami Grand Prix makes its long-awaited debut this weekend as Formula 1 heads Stateside for the first of two races in the US this season.

The sport has been looking to crack America for some time and appears to have done so now, with three races in the country set to be on the schedule from 2023.

With that said, then, it’s going to be fascinating watching the first-ever Miami Grand Prix and, for all the glitz and glamour in the build-up, the hope has to be that the racing action is what grabs the headlines in the end on Sunday.

‘Five Big Questions’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88003690...s-this-weekend

Max Verstappen Hopes To Ignore Hype And Win First Miami Grand Prix
    World champion Max Verstappen will seek to ignore all the hype and razzmatazz this weekend to win the Miami Grand Prix.
    • Updated: May 05, 2022 11:27 AM IST
    • Agence France-Presse

World champion Max Verstappen will seek to ignore all the hype and razzmatazz this weekend when he bids to trim Charles Leclerc's lead with a third win of the season at the inaugural Miami Grand Prix.

“I think this weekend is going to be pretty crazy," said Verstappen. "I'm looking forward to the racing -- I've driven the track on the simulator and we've practiced and prepared as much as we can without visiting in real life.”

"I love racing in Austin, so it's fun that we get to go to another state exciting to see F1 getting so much bigger in the US."

‘Ignore the Hype’;

https://sports.ndtv.com/formula-1/ma...d-prix-2947392

Norris Hoping to Maintain Imola Momentum into Miami Grand Prix Weekend
    May 4, 2022
    By Paul Hensby

Lando Norris says he is coming to the inaugural Miami Grand Prix this weekend on a high after his first podium finish of the season last time out in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

Norris believes the Miami track will be a fun challenge, and he is eager to carry the momentum from his podium at the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari into this weekend.

“I’m hyped for this weekend,” said Norris. “New circuits are always something I look forward to, and when you add in the excitement around a US race, particularly in Miami, it’s going to be so cool. “It’s looking fast with some great features and with the added element of being a street track, it’s going to be a fun challenge.”

‘Carry the Momentum’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...-prix-weekend/

Alfa heads to Miami with 'growing sense of confidence'
    04/05/2022 at 16:52
    Phillip van Osten

Valtteri Bottas says Alfa Romeo's confidence has ramped up on the back of his results, and especially after the Finn's strong P5 finish last time out at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

"We arrive in Miami knowing we can have another good weekend," said Bottas in the Hinwil squad's Miami Grand Prix preview. We scored points in every race we finished so far and we want to continue this strong moment.”

"There is a growing sense of confidence in the team, we know we can do well on every track and it’s in our hands to go out there and deliver the goods."

‘Growing Sense of Confidence’;

https://f1i.com/news/440035-alfa-hea...onfidence.html

Sebastian Vettel on Miami Challenge: “I’m excited to hit the track for the first time”
    By Paul Hensby
    May 4, 2022

Sebastian Vettel says there are plenty of unknowns heading into this weekend’s first-ever Miami Grand Prix, and he is excited to hit the track for the first time on Friday.
    Vettel has experienced the Miami International Autodrome solely on Aston Martin’s simulator, but he admits there is no substitute for learning the track behind the wheel of a racing car.

“It’s great to see another street circuit join the calendar, and the Miami track looks really interesting,” said Vettel. “From what we’ve experienced in the simulator, there are a few challenging corners.”

“Turns 13-16 have a surprising amount of elevation-change to catch drivers out and there are long sections where overtaking should be possible with DRS. You can only learn so much pre-event – I’m excited to hit the track for the first time.”

‘Miami Challenge Excitement’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...he-first-time/

Lewis Hamilton Seen Leaving Club With Two Girls Days Before F1 Miami GP
    MAY 4, 2022.
    BY JORGE ALONSO

It appears that Lewis Hamilton is living it up before the F1 Miami GP. The Mercedes driver, who has been struggling this season, made a quick stop in New York on Tuesday to get loose before his big race.

According to The Sun, Hamilton was seen leaving a NY hotspot with two girls just days before his big race.

Hamilton has cut a frustrated figure on recent race weekends, but he was able to let his hair down before Miami with a fancy night out in The City That Never Sleeps. The Woking racer was snapped leaving the exclusive Cipriani with two stunning mystery ladies.

‘Getting Loose Before His Big Race’;

https://brobible.com/sports/article/...club-f1-miami/

Jenson Button backs Lewis Hamilton revival ahead of 'mad' Miami Grand Prix
    22:22, 4 MAY 2022
    BY Josh Challies

Former British Formula One star Jenson Button is not writing off Lewis Hamilton this season and is expecting fireworks this weekend in the maiden Miami Grand Prix

Ex-Formula One champion Jenson Button is not writing off his ex-teammate Lewis Hamilton this season, insisting that his compatriot has 'not lost it' despite his Mercedes woes.

“He’s had a couple of bad races, we all have it in our career. At the moment he’s finding it tough, and people are saying he’s not doing as good a job as his teammate. He’s not lost it since last season when he was winning races. He’s a seven-time world champion — almost eight — he will keep fighting as long as he wants to," he told the New York Post.

‘Expecting Fireworks’;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1...miami-26875936

Wolff says Mercedes have ‘found several directions for improving the car' ahead of Miami Grand Prix
    04 May 2022
    Formula 1.

Toto Wolff is hopeful that his Mercedes team will start turning around their slow start to the season at the inaugural Miami Grand Prix, with the Silver Arrows’ Team Principal believing the eight-time world champions have found solutions to their various issues that they’ll look to implement at this weekend’s US event.

“Since we returned from Italy, we’ve learned as much from the weekend as we can and, in parallel, our learning has continued in the wind tunnel and simulations,” said Wolff. “We have found several directions for improving the car, and we will be conducting experiments in Miami to correlate those simulations, and hopefully confirm the development path for the coming races.”

“Both drivers have been working in the simulator ahead of Miami and the factories have been busy producing updates for the next races,” he added. “We’re set for a fantastic event, and we can’t wait to see how it all plays out.”

‘Working on the Simulator’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...L0BcXpRq6.html

The upgrades Ferrari are set to unleash in their fight against Red Bull.
    Ferrari's first extensive upgrade package for the F1-75 may be planned for the Spanish Grand Prix, but the team are making some early moves in Miami – despite it being a new track.
    Today, ‎12‎:‎00
    Author Paolo Filisetti
    Co-author RacingNews365 Staff

Red Bull surged forward with a raft of updates last time out in Imola, but Ferrari are poised to strike back at this weekend's Miami Grand Prix, as RacingNews365.com technical analyst Paolo Filisetti explains.

As team boss Mattia Binotto outlined in Imola, a new rear wing - with a different main profile - will be introduced this weekend as a replacement for the versions used so far this season.

But this is not set to be the biggest change as, during the Pirelli tyre tests that followed the Emilia Romagna weekend, Carlos Sainz briefly drove with a new floor.

‘F1-75 Extensive Upgrade Package’;

Montoya: Ferrari will win if it’s dry, Max will win in the wet
    5 May, 2022
    Paul Velasco

Miami Grand Prix ambassador Juan Pablo Montoya would put money on Max Verstappen winning the first Formula 1 race in the Florida city. Speaking ahead of the Miami weekend, Montoya told VegasInsider: “If I was a betting person, I would probably put my money on Max.”

“I think Charles, with the crash… unless the team went to him and said: just keep pushing, don’t worry about it; if they said that to him, he could still win the race. But my money would be on Max this week. Especially with the Miami weather.”

Montoya, a Miami resident since 2006 who well knows the climate in the city, pointed out: “The weather could be a massive twist for the race. Might miss the track. Might get part of the track wet. That’s going to be quite interesting. They will have spotters and radars and everything to let the teams know where the rain is coming from, but it’s very hard to predict.”

‘Money on Max’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/05...gp-prediction/

Hill weighs in on best car debate: Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes?
    Asked about whether he would take the Red Bull or Ferrari at this point of the year, the 1996 World Champion said it is too close to call at this early stage of proceedings.
    04/05/2022, ‎17‎:‎00
    Author Thomas Maher

"Well, the upgrade thing is a very interesting one, because they've also got these constraints now that are going to apply to the teams that have had the most points from the previous season and so forth," Hill said on the F1 Nation podcast, referring to the aerodynamic testing restrictions sliding scale that affects how much wind tunnel and CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) time each team is permitted.”

Referring to Red Bull Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey's recent comments about the effects of the budget cap on the rate at which updates are introduced, Hill argued that it has added a fascinating new dynamic to the title fight.

"[Adrian] was saying that they have to be very careful about when they bring these upgrades and which ones they apply, because they can't just throw stuff at it anymore," Hill explained. "So they're sitting down and thinking about it, and it's a bit like playing poker. They need to know which card to lay down when.”

‘Upgrade Poker’;

https://racingnews365.com/hill-weigh...ri-or-mercedes

Binotto outlines how Ferrari approach to upgrades has changed for 2022
    04/05/2022, ‎12‎:‎00
    Author Thomas Maher
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto has detailed the approach to updates that the Scuderia will take throughout the 2022 F1 season. "We are only at race four," he told media, including RacingNews365.com, after the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix weekend.

"If I look at the past seasons as well, I don't think that at race four there were many developments brought to cars. If I look at our competitors, [some] already brought some developments – some of them in testing, some of them [at Imola], and some, maybe small, developments from race one to race four, so I don't think that, so far, it has changed much compared to the past."

"I think that, as teams, because we've got a budget cap in place, we are simply trying to make sure that, by the time we are bringing a package, it's a proper one. And maybe, to do that, we simply take a few more races."

‘Bringing Proper Packages’;

https://racingnews365.com/binotto-ou...anged-for-2022

Disillusionment with Renault almost drove Newey to join Ferrari
    Date published: May 4 2022 - Michelle Foster

Such was Renault’s deficit to the Mercedes engine at the start of the V6 era that it had Adrian Newey considering dropping Red Bull in favour of Ferrari. Winning World Championships with Williams, McLaren and Red Bull it has been widely reported that Ferrari wanted to bring Newey over to Maranello.

The Scuderia’s third approach for the design guru was made back in 2014 when Red Bull lost the World titles to Mercedes. Newey has previously spoken about the Italian outfit’s “ridiculously large” financial offer, one that more than doubled his Red Bull salary. It was an offer he gave serious consideration to, not because of Red Bull, rather it was Renault and their under-performing V6 engine that had him considering jumping ship.

He told The Race: “Back then I was pretty disillusioned with the whole thing to be honest in as much as… obviously I nearly joined Ferrari but didn’t, which was kind of [part of it]… but more than anything, although I felt happy at Red Bull and didn’t really want to move teams, the only thing that had pushed me towards even thinking about moving teams was that we were stuck with an uncompetitive engine.”

‘Newey nearly at Ferrari’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/disill...newey-ferrari/

Leclerc to get significant power boost in Miami due to new-spec Ferrari engine
    Charles Leclerc will be given a new power unit at this weekend's Miami Grand Prix after Carlos Sainz received one in Imola.
    5 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

After Carlos Sainz was given a power boost ahead of the sprint weekend in Imola, Leclerc will now be the recipient of an improved power unit that will feature improved acceleration and a new MGU-K, the system that takes energy from the rear axle and converts it into power.

The evolution is set to help Ferrari keep up with the magnificent Honda-manufactured Red Bull engine on the straights, and the Milton Keynes-based side are even more slippery in a straight line than they were at the beginning of the year after introducing an upgrade package that lost them a suspected 5kg in weight.

The engine Sainz used in the early part of the 2022 season is still in working condition, which is crucial for the Maranello side, who can use it during free practice in Florida and avoid putting extra strain on the second-generation power unit.

‘A New MGU-K’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/leclerc-t...errari-engine/

Jenson Button praises 'beautiful' Ferrari and issues Mercedes prediction
    Published: 4 May 2022, 14:16
    By George Dagless

Jenson Button has said that Mercedes are going to find it difficult to reel in Ferrari and Red Bull this season, with the reigning Constructors’ champions currently off of the leading pace.

“Ferrari have nothing to lose, they put everything into 2022,” the 2009 world champion told The Gentleman’s Journal. “And when you watch the car, on the straights, it looks horrific because of the porpoising, but actually through the corner it looks beautiful to drive… Ferrari has just been plain sailing, good on ‘em, they’ve done a great job. And I don’t think I see it changing anytime soon… Ferrari still has more time in the wind tunnel than Mercedes, as does Red Bull. So it’s going to be tricky for Mercedes to come back.

“Two great drivers are better than one in terms of setting up a car and also the feedback that the team needs to improve the car. So everything’s good at the moment. Atmosphere always changes when you’re fighting for wins. That’s normally when you go from being best buddies to fierce competitors.”

‘Comeback Tricky’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88003055...des-prediction

Hill explains area where Leclerc could learn from Perez
    04/052022, ‎10‎:‎20
    Author RacingNews365 Staff

Damon Hill believes that Charles Leclerc needs to be cautious of making "rash moves", and has suggested Sergio Perez as an example of the approach to take when driving for a top team.

"We've seen with Charles of course, Imola was an opportunity to consolidate," Hill told the F1 Nation podcast. "And he went for a move which was just a little bit too ambitious, and he called it greedy. I was watching sitting down. Literally, I almost grabbed my wife's leg as as he turned in, [when] they showed it from the onboard.

"You look at Sergio. Sergio's a safe pair of hands. He's quick, and he's a safe pair of hands. He hardly ever does anything crazy. He's really good." Perez, meanwhile, sits in third, only five points behind Verstappen.

‘Sergio Perez Third in Championship’;

https://racingnews365.com/hill-expla...arn-from-perez

Hamilton warned he could become Mercedes’ number two driver as Russell applies pressure.
    Former Formula 1 driver Ralf Schumacher has warned that Sir Lewis Hamilton could soon find himself playing second fiddle to George Russell at Mercedes.
    28 April 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Hamilton has been comprehensively out-performed in two of the opening four rounds of the 2022 season by new team-mate Russell, and the 24-year-old’s superb display in Imola saw him finish P4, while his compatriot languished down in 13th.

The fact that the British drivers were having to lift off to mitigate “porpoising” did little to help, and it is clear that the Silver Arrows have an erratic car that is troublesome to get into an operating window under the new technical regulations.

This does not change the fundamental fact that Russell has generally been the quicker driver this season, and Schumacher reveals Hamilton will be wondering why he has that deficit. “He has to ask himself why George Russell is so much faster than him. A 13th place is of course not Hamilton’s ambition,” he wrote in his Sky Sports column.

‘Lewis Hamilton No 2 Driver’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/hamilton-...lies-pressure/

'Champions have sometimes just had enough': Former F1 star Jacques Villeneuve questions whether Lewis Hamilton will see out the rest of the season after Mercedes' struggles left him adrift of the title fight.
    He also claimed that Hamilton may prove to be an issue for his team this year.
    By Daniel Davis For Mailonline
    Published: 17:31, 27 April 2022

In recent weeks, and at the start of the season, fans have voiced concern Hamilton would retire - and Villeneuve has said similar shock moves have happened before. 'Will Hamilton still be there in two, three years?' he wrote in his column for Formule1.nl. 'Will he even reach the end of this season?

“You can't see into someone's head. You can be down and depressed or you can be unable to deal with no longer winning. Then maybe it's time to decide life is better without racing. We've been surprised in the past - it's happened that champions have sometimes just had enough.”

He has also claimed 'megastar' Hamilton may prove to be a problem for Mercedes, with team-mate George Russell catching the eye instead near the front of the grid. “At Mercedes, they now in any event need to learn how to lose,' he added. 'For years, they drove everyone into the ground. If someone got closer, they just opened the throttle. This year, they don't have that advantage anymore.”

‘Just had Enough’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...st-season.html

Schumacher: Hamilton has to accept that Russell is driving better
    ‎28‎ ‎April‎ ‎15‎:‎20
    Author Thomas Maher

Ralf Schumacher believes that Lewis Hamilton will have to do some soul-searching after the first four races of the season, with George Russell holding the upper hand. While Hamilton managed only a 13th-place finish at Imola, Russell came home in fourth, and Schumacher expects Hamilton to have been left thinking what the issue might be.

"We have to talk about Lewis Hamilton," Schumacher wrote in his column for Sky Sport Germany. "He has to wonder why George Russell is so much faster than him. A 13th place is, of course, not what Hamilton is aiming for."

"If things continue like this over the next few weeks, things will also get exciting in the team." He suggested: "There may be changes in the ranking."

‘Soul-Searching’;

https://racingnews365.com/schumacher...driving-better

Lewis Hamilton must admit George Russell is 'the better driver right now' following his poor start to the new F1 season, claims Ralf Schumacher... with the ex-Williams star insisting he 'has to ask himself' why his Mercedes team-mate is 'so much faster'
    By Oliver Salt For Mailonline
    Published: 11:09, 27 April 2022

Lewis Hamilton has to hold his hands up and admit that Mercedes team-mate George Russell is a better driver than him right now, says Ralf Schumacher.
    'I'm far from saying Hamilton has missed the boat on ending his career,' he added. 'Lewis is still one of the best drivers in the field, that is clear.”

'However, the new concepts require drivers to change a bit. Hamilton is not so used to it. Russell, on the other hand, is a young driver. They obviously cope better with it.'

‘Not Coping to Changes’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...chumacher.html

Hamilton ‘passionately hates’ losing to team-mate
    Date published: May 3 2022
    - Sam Cooper

Nico Rosberg has said Lewis Hamilton “passionately hates” losing to team-mates and predicted 2022 may be the first season the Mercedes driver does not win a race. It is a rare time in the career of Lewis Hamilton and one in which he is not only lacking the pace of Red Bull and Ferrari but also appears to be lacking the pace of his team-mate.

While there is plenty of time left in the season for Hamilton to overtake Russell, a former team-mate of Hamilton’s has said he “passionately hates” trailing the man on the opposite side of the garage from him. “It’s definitely a very tough situation for Lewis,” Nico Rosberg told Sky Sports. “He’s won a race in every season of his career and it looks like maybe this will be the year when he can’t win anymore.”

“You can see how the tension is rising and that’s natural. Lewis will obviously start to show those emotions a little bit. Nevertheless, with the experience he has I think he will eventually manage to keep those under control. Let’s not forget also Lewis hates ending up behind his team-mate.”

‘Tension is Rising’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...ing-team-mate/

Russell cannot be a ‘walkover’ for Hamilton in on-track battles
    Date published: May 2 2022 - Jon Wilde

Nico Rosberg thinks George Russell needs to stand up to Lewis Hamilton on track when the Mercedes duo inevitably find themselves battling each other. However, Rosberg, who partnered Hamilton for four feisty campaigns that culminated with his sole Drivers’ title success before retiring in 2016, believes it is only a matter of time before the British duo are fighting for supremacy on track.

And when that happens, it will be the moment, says the German, for Russell to show he will not be pushed around. “Especially against someone as great as Lewis it’s important for George to not show he’s just a walkover, to get the elbows out in a measured way right from the get-go and show Lewis ‘you need to respect me as well’,” Rosberg told Sky F1.

“That’s a very important sign for George to get going right at the beginning in this relationship because it sets a precedent and it’s such a fine line how far you push that. It will be good to see how George manages that in the next couple of races, especially against Lewis once they start going wheel-to-wheel at some point.”

‘Cannot be a Walkover’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nico-r...sell-walkover/

Rosberg gives take on ‘angry’ Hamilton keeping his emotions under control
    5 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

2016 Formula 1 world champion Nico Rosberg reckons Sir Lewis Hamilton’s deficit to George Russell will be riling the 37-year-old up, but believes his former team-mate can pull it together.

“Nevertheless, with the experience he has I think he will eventually manage to keep those under control,” he added. The fact that the former McLaren driver is being beaten by newcomer Russell, to Rosberg’s mind, will be making him “very angry.” “Let’s not forget also Lewis hates ending up behind his team-mate,” explained the German.

Team boss Toto Wolff has recently disregarded claims that there is tension between his driver pairing, affirming that their positive relationship has been one of the “few highlights” of an otherwise dejecting season so far.

‘Few Highlights!’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/rosberg-g...under-control/

George Russell 'will soon get on Lewis Hamilton's nerves', claims ex-F1 star Gerhard Berger after the new British star at Mercedes makes strong start to the season at the expense of his seven-time world champion team-mate
    Published: 08:56, 2 May 2022
    By Dan Ripley for MailOnline

• George Russell has enjoyed an impressive start to his Mercedes career in 2022
    • The Brit stands fourth in the world championship despite Mercedes' woes
    • Lewis Hamilton, meanwhile, is 19 points down on his new team-mate this term
    • Pair enjoy a good relationship but Gerhard Berger believes it may not continue

Berger, who won 10 grands prix in a career spanning from 1984 to 1997, believes that while the relationship between the pair has been good so far it won't take long for Russell to become an irritant to Hamilton should the early season form continue.

'He will soon get on Lewis' nerves,' the former McLaren and Ferrari star was quoted by Speedweek.com. 'Russell was one of the outstanding drivers at Imola. Like Lando Norris and Max Verstappen.'

‘Getting on Lewis Hamilton’s Nerves’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rd-Berger.html