Page 59 of 78 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    ‘Ferrari can’t win anymore, the F1-75 eats its tyres’.
    “Ferrari can’t win anymore” declared a damning indictment from Auto Motor und Sport, with Mattia Binotto left to rue Ferrari’s race pace at the Italian Grand Prix.
    Monday 12th September 2022 1:00 PM
    Michelle Foster

Although Charles Leclerc started Sunday’s 53-lap Monza race from pole position, the Monégasque driver P1 for the eighth time this season, he was unable to match Max Verstappen’s pace in the grand prix. Aware of this, Ferrari threw the dice with an early pit-stop when the Virtual Safety Car was deployed on lap 12 with that decision putting Leclerc onto a two-stop strategy.

But even with the brand new set of soft tyres he took on at his second stop, he was unable to chase down Verstappen and was 16 seconds behind when the Safety Car was deployed, ending the day’s action. Auto Motor und Sport’s Michael Schmidt says Ferrari’s biggest problem is their race pace due to the F1-75’s high tyre degradation. “Ferrari can’t win anymore,” he wrote. “It’s still enough for pole position but no longer for victory.”

“The speed in the F1-75 is still there, but over the distance the red car eats its tyres. That puts all the trump cards in Max Verstappen’s hand. Monza was no exception. Even if Charles Leclerc gave the Tifosi hope, it was deceptive.’ Ferrari, he added, “suspect the aerodynamics – that the search for more downforce has reduced the working window and thus the scope for set-up”.

‘Ferrari can’t win anymore’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...nymore-report/

Martin Brundle sees 'major problem' for Ferrari after 'punchy' comments from chairman

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto is under mounting pressure after company chairman John Elkann fired a "warning shot" following a host of errors this season
    16:40, 13 SEP 2022
    BY Mark Whiley

Martin Brundle believes key personnel at Ferrari could be axed if the Italian squad loses second spot in the constructors’ championship to Mercedes. Sky Sports F1’s Brundle interviewed Binotto over the weekend and hopes he can weather the storm, but admits being overtaken by Mercedes would represent a hammer blow to him and the team. “I think he’s under a lot of pressure. I always say in Formula 1 that you’re either giving pressure or taking it, and he’s taking a lot,” said Brundle.

“They’re over 100 points behind in the drivers’ championship. They won two of the first three races and, if you add up all of the reliability issues, the strategy problems, the driver errors, they should be pushing Red Bull really hard in the closing stages of this World Championship. Every time they make a mistake, Red Bull and Max Verstappen gain from it as well.

“I asked him how much pain you will take if you finish behind Mercedes. I think it’s a major problem for them. We see it in football a lot, the changes of managers. If you want to change your team principal, fine, but who with?”

‘Major Problem For Ferrari’;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1...nn-f1-27982277

Binotto deconstructs message from Ferrari boss Elkann
    13 September, 2022
    Paul Velasco

Ferrari’s invisible Chairman John Elkann turned up at the Italian Grand Prix reaffirming his faith in Mattia Binotto’s leadership and talking-the-talk of “Formula 1 titles before 2026” which needed some deconstructing by the team principal.

Asked if support from the Big Boss took the pressure off his shoulders, Binotto replied: “Is it a relief? First, I know and the team knows that we’ve got the full support of our chairman so we do not need an article or an interview to know that so we got. We are continuously in contact.

“We are commenting races, post-race. We are discussing race preparation, so he’s a person that is certainly a lot interested in what we are doing and supporting the team itself. Is it a relief? I think more for external – let me say – judgements rather than internal, so internally we were focused, we were okay and had no concerns but seeing such an interview certainly is great because it’s somehow confirming what we already know,” explained Binotto.

‘Message From Ferrari Boss Elkann Deconstructed’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/09...ns-message-f1/

Sam Bird: Ferrari are running scared of Red Bull’s and Max Verstappen’s pace
    Tuesday 13th September 2022 5:00 PM
    Thomas Maher

Formula E racer Sam Bird believes Ferrari have been spooked by Red Bull’s pace, which is causing them to make questionable decisions. With Ferrari having jumped at the chance to pit under the early Virtual Safety Car at Monza, it left Charles Leclerc with a steep mountain to climb as he faced a 40-lap stint on the medium tyres.

Unsurprisingly, this strategy did not work out despite Leclerc gaining back the lead when Verstappen pitted at the race’s halfway mark, Verstappen quickly closing the gap back up to Leclerc.

However, an on-track battle did not unfold as Ferrari pulled Leclerc back in for a second stop before Verstappen got within striking distance. With Ferrari stuck in a sub-optimal strategy after the VSC, Bird believes this is indicative the Scuderia are going in with the mentality they are simply slower than Red Bull.

‘Running Scared’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sam-bi...ared-red-bull/

Ferrari encouraged by Leclerc’s “comfortable” margin over Russell at Monza
    2022 Italian Grand Prix
    Posted on 13th September 2022, 17:36
    Written by Ida Wood and Claire Cottingham

WhileCharles Leclerc failed to convert pole position into victory at the Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari drew encouragement from his margin over Mercedes, who were a significant threat in previous races. Now Binotto thinks Ferrari has a better understanding of why Red Bull have pulled away and Mercedes have emerged as a greater threat to them on race days.

“On the race pace, we are suffering tyre degradation and I think that in that respect the Red Bull is a better car,” he said. “So they have been capable of developing their car for a better balance, but certainly as well for a better car in terms of tyre degradation, that we didn’t. The reason is something that we are looking at because we need to address it, if not for us this season, certainly for the next.”

‘Ferrari encouraged’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/09/13/...sell-at-monza/

Ferrari 'not to blame' for Monza loss despite strategy gamble - Leclerc
    Tuesday 13 September 2022 12:52
    Ewan Gale

Charles Leclerc has insisted Ferrari is not to blame after a strategy gamble failed to pay off at the Italian Grand Prix. The Monégasque led from pole at Monza but rival Max Verstappen was behind in second having climbed from seventh on the grid in the first five laps.

When Sebastian Vettel's Aston Martin broke down on the run to Ascari on lap 12, a virtual safety car was called, allowing for a potential 'free' stop where less time is lost due to the reduced speed of rivals on the track. But after taking the risk as Verstappen stayed on track, the VSC ended whilst Leclerc was in the pits and therefore took away at least half of the advantage the Scuderia would have gained with the ploy.

"If it was a clear mistake? I don't think so because it was just our choice and looking back at it, you just cannot predict whenever the VSC is going to end. If I was not stopping, Max will have pitted and he will have had the same problem as I did. So nothing to blame on anybody there, just a little bit unlucky, and probably missing a little bit of pace too."

‘Ferrari Not To Blame';

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/91...arles-leclerc/

‘Horrible luck’: Oil leak robs Daniel Ricciardo of points finish in Italian Grand Prix.
    This hurts. Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo was less than six laps away from clinching a points finish in the Italian Grand Prix before engine failures robbed the 33-year-old of a much-needed morale boost.
    September 12th, 2022 7:10 am
    Nic Savage from News.com.au

Ricciardo’s McLaren sat idle on the edge of the Monza track for the final stage of Sunday evening’s race due to an oil leak, forcing the event to end behind a safety car in anticlimactic scenes. Because Ricciardo’s car was stuck in gear, stewards were unable to quickly remove the stranded McLaren from the side of the track.

“I felt like I was doing a good job to hold off (Pierre) Gasly but didn’t have much more to show than that,” Ricciardo told reporters after the race. “It was a busy race, trying to hold on, do what I could and then yeah, felt like we got a little bit of a rhythm on the hards (tyres) with 10-15 laps to go but then the engine just switched off out of Turn Six.

“I had to pull over straight away because it was stuck in gear and so I couldn’t roll to a safe place. It would have been nice to get some points, but it wasn’t meant to be today.” McLaren team principal told Speedcafe.com: “Daniel commented on the radio that he lost the engine and it looks like that we had an oil leak, but what exactly the root cause of the oil leak (is) something we need to analyse once the car is back.

‘Less than six laps away from clinching a points finish in the Italian Grand Prix’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...54cd7e5b1ab2a1

‘Everything shut off’ – Ricciardo explains his Lap 47 DNF at Monza that triggered late Safety Car.
    11 Sep 2022
    Formula 1.

“If I could have done anything else I would have,” says Daniel Ricciardo after he was forced to leave his McLaren on the side of the track which triggered a Safety Car that ran to the end of the Italian Grand Prix.

‘Everything shut off’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...639547663.html

Ricciardo says 'everything shut off' as he reveals disappointment at late DNF in Italian GP
    13 September 2022
    Formula 1.

Daniel Ricciardo was running in eighth place at this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix and looking set for a first top-10 finish since France. But a late DNF on Sunday meant it was fourth consecutive point-less outing for the Australian, much to his disappointment.

And speaking after the race, Ricciardo explained: “The car switched off. I don’t know the details but in simple terms just everything shut off, so I was in Lesmo 1, fourth gear and then immediately off and then obviously stuck in gear. I just tried to pull over to the inside of the track as quick as I could.

“But then when I got out of the car, even for me to find an opening was difficult, so I was surprised there wasn’t an opening sooner or I guess I passed it when I was trying to pull off. Then I found out after that the race ended under Safety Car. If I could have done anything else, I would have but that was all I could do.”

‘Disappointment at late DNF in Italian GP’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...CDiSm10uJ.html

Daniel Ricciardo ‘wished the race had ended on lap one’ after strong start
    Sunday 11th September 2022 10:00 PM
    Henry Valantine

Daniel Ricciardo retired from the Italian Grand Prix and having moved up to third place on the first lap, admitted he had hoped to have seen the chequered flag there and then.

He had been running high up the order for most of the race, holding off Pierre Gasly behind, before retiring on lap 47, prompting the Safety Car period which saw the remaining drivers finish under yellow flag conditions at Monza. This came in part as Ricciardo’s car was stuck in gear after retiring, which meant the marshals could not move it back to safety between the two Lesmo corners.

But the Australian said there was not much else he could do in that situation. “Car switched off, I don’t know the details but in simple terms just everything shut off,” Ricciardo told Formula1.com. “So I was in Lesmo 1, fourth gear and then immediately [switched] off, and then obviously stuck in gear so I just tried to pull over to the inside of the track as quick as I could.”

‘Wished the race had ended on lap one’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel...2022-reaction/

F1 fans 'gutted' as Aussie driver Daniel Ricciardo was robbed of a points result in Italian Grand Prix due to yet another McLaren stuff-up
    Published: 01:19, 12 September 2022
    By Josh Alston For Daily Mail Australia

He was within six laps of a morale-boosting points finish at the Monza track when his engine developed an oil leak and he slowed and lurched to the right side of the track.

Ricciardo tried to remain positive after yet another McLaren disaster. 'It was a busy race, trying to hold on, do what I could and then yeah, felt like we got a little bit of a rhythm on the hards (tyres) with 10-15 laps to go but then the engine just switched off out of turn six,' he said.

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said it was a disappointing finish to what was shaping as a strong weekend. 'It is obviously very unfortunate for Daniel, for us, that after a strong weekend on his side of the garage, the strong race today, that ultimately we couldn't score the points that he deserves this weekend.'

‘Driver Daniel Ricciardo was robbed of a points result’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ren-error.html

Daniel Ricciardo reveals Oscar Piastri’s manager apologised to him
    Daniel Ricciardo will leave McLaren at the end of the year.
    9 September 2022
    by James Clifford

McLaren’s Daniel Ricciardo showed his class by speaking to Mark Webber and Oscar Piastri recently, assuring his compatriots that there are no hard feelings. The 33-year-old has not had an easy time of it since he joined the British side last year, and he has often struggled to find common ground with a stubborn car.

‘Oscar Piastri’s manager apologised to him’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/daniel-ri...ogised-to-him/

Ricciardo offers thoughts on 2023 plans
    14/09/2022, ‎17‎:‎00
    Author Michael Butterworth
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

A difficult 2022 for Ricciardo has resulted in McLaren cancelling his contract one year earlier than planned, in order to replace the Australian with compatriot Oscar Piastri for 2023. Ricciardo had previously stated his intention to remain on the F1 grid in 2023, but possible openings at teams such as Alpine, Haas and Williams seem destined for other drivers.

In recent days, Ricciardo intimated that he would settle for a role as a third driver for 2023 with a view towards returning to a race seat in the future, and speaking after the Italian Grand Prix, the Australian said he was ready to consider an enforced sabbatical next year. "I've certainly accepted if I'm not to be on the grid next year, I'm okay with that," Ricciardo told media including RacingNews365.com.

"I've accepted that I'm not going to do everything, or my [management] team is not going to do everything just to put me on the grid if it's not right, or it doesn't make sense. If I am on the grid, I want to know that it's a place that I can enjoy and feel that like I can thrive in, so I don't want to just jump into a car for the sake of it."

‘Ricciardo offers thoughts on 2023 plans’;

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-...-on-2023-plans

George Russell: Mercedes W13 sidepods not the performance differentiator.
    George Russell says that the sidepods are not the main influencer of performance for Mercedes’ inconsistent W13.
    Tuesday 13th September 2022 8:15 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Their W13 has shown flashes of leading performance, Russell taking his first career pole in Hungary, while Lewis Hamilton was in contention to win the Dutch Grand Prix, but, as the Belgian and Italian rounds showed either side of those GPs, the W13 is not yet capable of competing against Red Bull and Ferrari at the front on a consistent basis.

Mercedes went down a very different route with the design of their 2022 car, most striking were the narrow sidepods, commonly referred to as a ‘zero-pod’ concept. The Silver Arrows must decide whether they wish to stick with this concept for 2023.

Put to him by Sky Sports F1 that the W13 seems to be a real “Jekyll and Hyde” car, Russell replied: “Yeah, I think we understand exactly why at circuits like Zandvoort and Budapest, why we were competitive, and we understand why on circuits like this [Monza] and Spa we were uncompetitive.

‘W13 Jekyll And Hyde Car’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george...-not-to-blame/

Mercedes expect 'difficult' races to come despite better W13 understanding
    08 September 2022
    Ben Issatt

Mercedes admits more "difficult" weekends are to be expected despite a better understanding of their 2022 car. After overcoming the porpoising and bouncing problems that dominated the first half of this season, the Brackley-based team is still trying to more consistently find the sweet spot of the W13 on all kinds of circuits.

In Zandvoort, Mercedes did just that and was firmly in the battle for victory, but Wolff concedes there will be races where that won't be the case. “Our performance is fundamentally ingrained in the car concept as it is, but we are now understanding better how everything interacts,” said team boss Toto Wolff via Motorsport.com.

“I think we can tune the car more precisely to fit and to target the performance window. Having said that, there will be races that are better for us and there might be some on the calendar that will be very difficult. So you need to stay realistic in my opinion. We won’t be fighting for pole positions on all the other race tracks, but at least we need to really get us back to this point for next year."

‘Tuning the car more precisely to fit and to target the performance window’;

https://www.insideracing.com/formula...-understanding

Martin Brundle makes Lewis Hamilton observation at Italian Grand Prix
    LEWIS HAMILTON recovered from a back of the grid start to finish P5 at the Italian Grand Prix.
    11:47, Wed, Sep 14, 2022
    By Luke Chillingsworth

Lewis Hamilton “didn’t look impressed” after the Italian Grand Prix despite a comeback drive from P19, reckons Sky Sports' Martin Brundle. Hamilton was forced to start at the back after Mercedes fitted him with a new power unit ahead of the weekend.

However, the seven-time champion slicked through the field to secure good points for the Silver Arrows. But, Sky Sports host Brundle has stressed the Briton was not too happy moments after the chequered flag.

Writing in his column, Brundle said: “Lewis Hamilton was less spectacular in his progress but nonetheless finished a fine fifth from 19th on the grid, although he didn't look that impressed as he walked through parc ferme as I waited to interview the top three.” Hamilton’s Mercedes team-mate, George Russell, secured his seventh podium of the season with P3.

‘Lewis Hamilton didn’t look impressed’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...d-prix-f1-news

Valtteri Bottas fires jibe at Toto Wolff
    Valtteri Bottas signed with Alfa Romeo for the start of the 2022 season.
    14 September 2022
    by James Clifford

Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas feels that he can “trust” his current employers more than he could Mercedes.

Bottas was put straight up against Sir Lewis Hamilton, and he won three races in 2017… The now 33-year-old was unfortunate not to win a grand prix in 2018… Two more one-year arrangements would follow after 2021, but the lack of job security at the Brackley-based squad became too much of a burden on Bottas’ shoulders, so he had to leave.

He landed in Switzerland with Alfa Romeo, and they gave him a contract until the end of next season, so he feels as though he can relax his shoulders and race without anything hanging over his head. “I can work here without feeling any negative pressure,” Bottas told Auto Bild. “I only ever had a one-year contract so I never knew if I would be continuing or not, that sucked.”

‘Lack of job security too much of a burden on Bottas’ shoulders’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/valtteri-...at-toto-wolff/

George Russell admits Ferrari pace at Monza caught Mercedes by surprise
    Tuesday 13th September 2022 8:00 PM
    Henry Valantine

George Russell has spoken of the “goose bumps” he felt on the podium at Monza – where Ferrari’s surprising pace stopped him from standing higher on the rostrum. He soaked up the atmosphere after the race but said it was far from the strongest weekend Mercedes have had this season.

“Certainly standing on the podium at Monza is a really special feeling and I’d say [part of] a driver’s bucket list is to be standing on the top step at Monza, [it] would be really special,” Russell told Sky Sports F1 after the race.

“It kind of gave me goose bumps up there, but the race was pretty uneventful. Definitely wasn’t our strongest race of the season by far, car wasn’t feeling great. We lost quite a bit of performance since FP1 on Friday and we don’t really know why. But I think the biggest thing was the pace of Ferrari surprised us.”

‘Ferrari pace at Monza caught Mercedes by surprise’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george...onza-surprise/

Wolff says it’s ‘all to play for’ as Mercedes target second-placed Ferrari in the championship
    13 September 2022
    Formula 1.

Toto Wolff is hopeful that Mercedes can push Ferrari for the runner-up spot in the 2022 constructors’ standings after “maximising” their Italian Grand Prix points haul “on a track that doesn’t suit us”.

On race day, however, Russell capitalised on a host of grid penalties to convert a front-row start into another podium finish, while Hamilton fought his way through the field from P19 to claim fifth – adding important points to Mercedes’s tally.

Having recovered plenty of lost ground after their early-season struggles, and with six races left to run, Mercedes are just 35 points down on second-placed Ferrari in the constructors’ standings. With tracks coming up that should be better suited to their W13, Wolff is excited to see whether his team can overhaul the Scuderia during the final stages of the season.

‘All To Play For’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...heAWpC4aW.html

Ferrari Fail To Win at Monza, at Least They Extend Lead Over Mercedes
    11 Sep 2022, 15:37 UTC ·
    by Bogdan Bebeselea

Ferrari had many ups and downs this season, but there is one race where all their sins could have been forgiven. There is one win that would have wiped the slate clean and taken some pressure off both the drivers and team principal Mattia Binotto. However, the taste it left was bittersweet. Instead of bringing the Tifosi some much-needed hope, they gave up another race win to Red Bull.

Ferrari is surely out of the fight by now. But there is still the matter of second place in the Constructors Championship. While it is by no means a crown, it is a consolation prize. One that comes with a lot of money, too. Considering how poorly the season went after their promising start, the fact that they at least managed to get some more points over Mercedes is the small victory they need right now.

‘The matter of second place in the Constructors Championship. While it is by no means a crown, it is a consolation prize’;

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/f...es-198345.html

Guenther Steiner admits Mick Schumacher’s weakness as Haas mull replacements.
    “To be honest, we don’t know if Mick will stay or not. He delivered very good races in Canada, England and Austria, but he lacks the consistency to perform well. We’re in no hurry on the driver issue and Mick still has chances to show what he can do.”
    14 September 2022
    by James Clifford

Mick Schumacher is out of contract with Haas at the end of 2022. Schumacher has also been linked with the vacant seat at Alpine after Fernando Alonso signed with Aston Martin, while Oscar Piastri agreed to join McLaren in 2023.

Schumacher’s performances of late have given a sense of optimism that he may remain on the grid next season, but as it stands, he is out of contract at the end of this year.

There has been no guarantee from Haas that they will retain the former F2 champion, and there are also rumours that he will be splitting with Ferrari at the end of the year.

‘Lacks the consistency to perform well’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/guenther-...-replacements/

Are Schumacher’s days in Formula 1 numbered?
    14 September, 2022
    NewsDesk

Reports suggest that Mick Schumacher may have just six races to save his Formula 1 career, however, his future is yet to be decided by Ferrari according to Mattia Binotto despite a number of drivers being linked with the Haas seat.

While media have all but written off Schumacher’s chances of remaining on the grid, Binotto has not pulled the plug yet: “With Mick, as we said at the start of the season, it’s important for Mick this season to improve. “We will in a few races sit down with him, make a balance of the season, and we’ll do that as well together with Haas and decide for his best future.”

Ferrari reserve driver Antonio Giovinazzi replaced Schumacher in the car for Friday’s first practice at Monza and has been linked as his full-time replacement at Haas next year, while others in the frame for the drive include F1 veteran Nico Hulkenberg who is emerging as a favourite.

‘Formula 1 Days Numbered!’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/09...la-1-numbered/

Sebastian Vettel and Mick Schumacher not included as three drivers to have Alpine trial
    ALPINE are selecting their new driver after Oscar Piastri left the team for McLaren.
    14:54, Wed, Sep 14, 2022
    By Luke Chillingsworth

Neither Mick Schumacher or Sebastian Vettel will fight it out for Alpine’s 2023 seat in a special test but Nyck de Vries is expected to take part. It is understood Vettel did hold talks with Alpine over a possible 2023 race seat.

Schumacher is battling for his F1 future amid rumours Haas could replace him at the end of the season, but Express Sport understands despite reports, he will not test with Alpine. Meanwhile, De Vries starred in his F1 debut with Williams at the Italian Grand Prix and is one of several drivers competing for the seat.

Rossi also admitted Alpine wanted to make “the right decision” over their driver line-up and stressed there was “no hurry”. Pierre Gasly and Daniel Ricciardo have also been talked about in relation to the Alpine drive but are not expected to take part in the test.

‘Mick Schumacher not included in Alpine test’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...r-alpine-drive

Mattia Binotto gives Mick Schumacher deadline as Ferrari to decide if Haas will sack him
    Mick Schumacher is without a contract for the 2023 season, and Mattia Binotto has given the German racer a deadline.
    14 September 2022
    by Nick Golding

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto discussed Schumacher’s future following the Italian GP, where he explained that “hopefully” an option for the German would be made possible with Haas.

“It was another unfortunate weekend for Mick, he had problems with the car and couldn’t drive much before qualifying, which is why he had to start from the back,” Binotto told Sky Germany. “We still have a few races, then we’ll sit down with Haas and hopefully find the best decision for him and his future.”

The American team clearly feels like they have all the cards in their hands, which is arguably the truth. The vacant Haas seat is one of the final seats to be filled for 2023, with four drivers having all been linked to it.

‘Mick Schumacher deadline’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/mattia-bi...will-sack-him/

BINOTTO HINTS FERRARI TEST DRIVER COULD RACE IN SCHUMACHER’S F1 SEAT
    17:10 Tue, 13 Sep 2022.
    Abby Bathurst
    FormulaNerds

Speculation around Mick Schumacher's future in F1 has risen and Mattia Binotto has revealed a driver who could possibly be in the Haas seat for 2023. However, while the speculation increases around Schumacher’s future, Binotto has hinted at a potential replacement for the American team.

Could this driver be a successor to Schumacher’s seat at Haas? Robert Schwartzman is the current test driver for Scuderia Ferrari. He finished the 2021 F2 championship in second, behind Oscar Piastri by 60 points.

Schwartzman was a part of the Ferrari Driver Academy, much like Schumacher, but didn’t get an F1 seat after leaving F2. Instead, he has supported Ferrari in a testing capacity, not racing competitively.

‘Robert Schwartzman is the current test driver for Scuderia Ferrari’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/bi.../?nowprocket=1

Guenther Steiner admits Haas could replace Mick Schumacher with Nico Hulkenberg
    Haas are yet to announce who will partner Kevin Magnussen in 2023.
    13 September 2022
    by Nick Golding

Times are tough at Haas at the moment, as the team have taken a turn for the worse ever since they introduced their only upgrade of the season at the Hungarian Grand Prix, with the American side currently occupying seventh in the Constructors’ Championship by one point.

The team aren’t appearing to be in a hurry to announce Magnussen’s team-mate for next season, with team principal Guenther Steiner revealing that the team are considering “everybody with a superlicence. Everybody with a superlicence is on the list,” Steiner said.

‘Guenther Steiner admits Haas could replace Mick Schumacher’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/guenther-...co-hulkenberg/

‘Every team’ interested in signing Nyck de Vries for 2023.
    Former Formula 1 driver, Timo Glock, reckons that Nyck de Vries is now “clearly” in the mix for a seat on the grid in 2023.
    14 September 2022
    by James Clifford

Nyck de Vries has joined the extensive list of drivers looking for a seat next season. “In my opinion, it is relatively clear what this means for the driver market,” Glock wrote in his column for Sky Germany. “He has been one of the candidates all along, but of course he has brought himself even more clearly into the conversation with such an appearance as at the weekend.”

“He will definitely appear on the list for every team now, I’m also sure we’ll see him in one of the cars next year. For Mick Schumacher, this means there is another competitor for the remaining cockpits,” added Glock.

“Of course, that doesn’t make it any easier for him. In my opinion, however, he also – perhaps a little more under the radar – also performed greatly. With 16 laps all weekend [in practice] and the many problems he had, to move up to 12th place with a car that didn’t have speed at Monza is really a good performance. And he also had a clear grip on his team-mate.”

‘Every team’ interested in signing Nyck de Vries’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/every-tea...ries-for-2023/

Palmer: Multiple F1 teams will look to sign De Vries
    Ex-Formula 1 driver Jolyon Palmer believes that multiple Formula 1 teams will be chasing Nyck de Vries following his impressive debut last weekend at Monza.

by Fergal Walsh

“Alex Albon has been putting in stellar drives all season at Williams and de Vries’ Monza effort was Albon-esque in its delivery,” Palmer wrote in a column for Formula1.com. “Relatively understated, but by plugging away the result turned up at the end, made all the more impressive by it being a debut.”

“Surely for Williams now, the prospect of having two potential point scorers will be too appealing to turn down for 2023. But it won’t just be them that are keen on de Vries’ signature now. The rise in fortunes for the former F2 champion couldn’t have been clearer after a wonderful cameo which showcased his ability. Any reserve driver outing is an opportunity, and Nyck de Vries grabbed it with both hands in Monza.”

‘Multiple F1 teams will look to sign De Vries’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...sign-de-vries/

Lauda would have 'taken hat off' for de Vries debut - Wolff
    Wednesday 14 September 2022 04:00
    Ian Parkes & Ewan Gale
    GPFans

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has provided a glowing appraisal of Nyck de Vries' F1 debut at the Italian Grand Prix and insisted triple world champion Niki Lauda "would have taken his hat off", such was the quality of the performance. Assessing his performance, Wolff said: “I like him. He is just a good young man.

“He’s not only fast and has shown that in the junior categories, but he is also intelligent and a good team player, that is why he deserved it here. I don’t think that anyone else could have possibly done a better job in what he did. You are in an Aston Martin, you are driving around with a rake and then you are being drafted in at the last minute in a different car, you are beating your team-mate by quite a margin, you are starting eighth and you finish ninth.”

Lauda passed away in 2019 having held the position of Mercedes non-executive chairman, with his legacy continuing with the team. Suggesting the Austrian would have been thoroughly impressed with de Vries' effort, Wolff added: "Niki would have taken his hat off as a driver.”

‘Triple world champion Niki Lauda "would have taken his hat off",’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/91...lauda-tribute/

Damon Hill issues brutal Nicholas Latifi verdict as Nyck de Vries stars at Italian GP
    Nyck de Vries was one of the stars of the Italian Grand Prix, finishing ninth for Williams having only been called up as Alex Albon’s replacement on Saturday morning
    18:16, 11 SEP 2022
    BY Mark Whiley

As the Sky Sports F1 team discussed De Vries’s performance, presenter Simon Lazenby expressed his sympathy for Latifi, but former world champion Damon Hill, a former Williams driver, was having none of it.

“I’m sorry but this is the way it is,” he said bluntly. “In this case, Nicholas hasn’t got the pace that he needs to stay in that position in Formula 1. He’s had some good moments but along comes a guy who’s not even driven in the Grand Prix before, and he’s done a fantastic job.”

“I know he [De Vries] had grid penalties and stuff like that, which helped him up the grid, but he still delivered in qualifying and didn’t really make a mistake. He’s done enough for us to be talking about him, he’s got Toto [Wolff] talking about him. That’s what you need to be doing to be a Formula 1 driver.”

‘Damon Hill issues brutal Nicholas Latifi verdict’;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1...-hill-27964564

Martin Brundle: Nyck de Vries has debunked a ‘fickle’ theory about F1
    Wednesday 14th September 2022 10:45 AM
    Jon Wilde

Martin Brundle believes Nyck de Vries’ impressive debut at Monza has given the lie to a theory that future F1 talents are in short supply. And not only did the Dutchman outperform his beleaguered temporary team-mate Nicholas Latifi, he also added 50% to Williams’ prior total of World Championship points for the season by finishing an excellent ninth.

Brundle, writing in his post-race column for Sky Sports, says he has heard suggestions there is a lack of depth among the youngsters currently pushing to get to Formula 1. “Nyck de Vries did an outstanding job stepping in on Saturday at Williams for Alex Albon, who needed his appendix removed in a procedure which ended up with a few complications,” said Brundle, referring to the London-born Thai driver having to be taken to intensive care due to respiratory problems. “Hopefully he will be fit soon.”

“De Vries qualified well, started eighth after penalties had been applied, stayed out of trouble and ran with the likes of Fernando Alonso and Pierre Gasly all race to seal ninth and two World Championship points on his debut. And the fans’ Driver of the Day. That will surely have sealed a seat for him somewhere next year.”

‘The fans’ Driver of the Day’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/martin...fickle-theory/

‘No doubt’: George Russell’s honest assessment of Nyck de Vries F1 debut
    Nyck de Vries scored points on his debut at the Italian Grand Prix last weekend.
    14 September 2022
    by James Clifford

Mercedes’ George Russell has offered his congratulations to Nyck de Vries for the way he performed during the Italian Grand Prix last weekend. The 24-year-old reckons it was harder for de Vries as, unlike Russell’s call-up while he was already at Williams, the former Mercedes EQ driver was not on the grid.

“I think it was probably tougher for him to be honest than it was for me because I was obviously a full-time race driver,” explained Russell in the post-race press conference. “Equally as well for him jumping from Aston Martin on Friday into a Williams, it’s a different car and the seating positions are different.”

“I remember when I was doing testing with Mercedes and Force India, and driving in F2, it took quite a few laps to get used to a different feeling of how those cars reacted. To score points on your debut in a Williams is pretty spectacular no doubt.” De Vries’ result lifts him up to 20th in the championship, ahead of Latifi, whose future next year is now under even more scrutiny.

‘To score points on your debut in a Williams is pretty spectacular no doubt’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/no-doubt-...ries-f1-debut/

Williams’ Dave Robson: “Nyck drove an excellent race today”
    September 14, 2022
    By Jamie Partis-Nelson

After an FIA Formula 1 World Championship debut at the Italian Grand Prix to remember for Nyck de Vries, Williams Racing’s Head of Vehicle Performance Dave Robson has heaped the praise on the Dutch driver stating that de Vries ‘drove an excellent race’ at the Autodromo Nazionale di Monza.

Dave Robson was left particularly delighted by how de Vries was able to turn in such an impressive performance given the short amount of time he had to prepare for the Grand Prix.

“Nyck drove an excellent race today and was able to defend when required as well as keeping constant pressure on the cars ahead. We gave him an ambitious strategy which would push his Soft and Medium tyres to the limit. The late safety car offered some protection in the final laps and also helped him manage a hot front brake disc.”

‘Williams Racing’s Head of Vehicle Performance Dave Robson has heaped the praise’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...oday%ef%bf%bc/

Hakkinen: Elkann comments 'only add more pressure' to Ferrari.
    Mika Hakkinen believes the public comments made by Ferrari chairman John Elkann ahead of last weekend's Italian Grand Prix likely added more pressure to an already tense atmosphere at the Scuderia.
    15/09/2022 at 14:48
    Phillip van Osten

"Ferrari has always had a lot of pressure," Hakkinen wrote in his post-Italian Grand Prix Unibet column. "And it is something unique to them. "Of course, at McLaren we felt the pressure of competing to win, trying our best, not being satisfied if we were not winning.”

"But Ferrari has always had this additional pressure of being a kind of national team." Hakkinen believes therefore that Elkann's comments perhaps only served the purpose of piling on more pressure on a team in need of calm and composure to perform.

"There is always the feeling of extra pressure, and this cannot be easy on the management or drivers who need to keep working hard, pushing together and making sure they do not start to blame each other when things go wrong," he added.

‘Only Add More Pressure';

https://f1i.com/news/454492-hakkinen...o-ferrari.html

Hakkinen on pressure at Ferrari – 'It's a national team'.
    Former World Champion Mika Hakkinen says there is an additional pressure involved in driving for Ferrari, likening it to an Italian national team.
    14/09/2022, ‎07‎:‎55
    Author Michael Butterworth

Hakkinen's comments come after Ferrari chairman John Elkann gave a rare interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, in which he said the F1 team was making too many mistakes and needed to improve.
    "Ferrari has always had a lot of pressure, and it is something unique to them," Hakkinen wrote in his column for Unibet, also referencing his nine-year spell with McLaren, in which he won 20 Grands Prix and two World Championships.

"I think this season has been difficult because they started with a quick car, race wins and a lot of confidence, but Red Bull have operated so efficiently, making so few mistakes and improving the car."

'It's A National Team';

https://racingnews365.com/hakkinen-o...-national-team

Mattia Binotto admits he has no idea why Ferrari's performance has fallen behind Red Bull.

For all of Ferrari's reliability issues and strategy disasters this year, they still had a car capable of going toe-to-toe with Red Bull's machine – but that no longer seems to be the case.
    18:05, 15 Sep 2022
    By Daniel Moxon
    F1 Writer

Ferrari have admitted they still need to figure out why they have lost pace compared to Red Bull as Max Verstappen continues to establish his dominance of this season.
    Team principal Mattia Binotto has noticed the decline in performance since they raced in Budapest before the summer break, but admits his team is still unsure as to exactly why.

"I think we do not only look back at the previous two [races] but the last three because I would include as well Hungary," he said. "In the last races, I think that the performance of the Red Bull has been better than ours. Not in qualifying, because I see that in quali we have still got a good pace – so let me say the pure performance is still there.”

“But then with the race pace, we are suffering tyre degradation. In that respect, I think the Red Bull is a better car, so they've been capable of developing that car for a better balance that we didn't. The reason? I think it is something that we are looking at, because we need to address it. If not for this season, certainly for the next one.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...notto-28002713

Jean Alesi wants Ferrari to provide Mattia Binotto with ‘reinforcements’
    Wednesday 14th September 2022 11:30 AM
    Jon Wilde

Jean Alesi has called for Ferrari to back up Mattia Binotto with “reinforcements” after another frustrating weekend at the Italian Grand Prix. The Frenchman praised Binotto for not pointing the finger at those who report to him, such as the strategists whose mistakes have been under the media microscope this year, just as Mercedes have guarded whoever was chiefly responsible for the design of their disappointing all-new W13 car.

“Honestly, I believed it. I thought Leclerc could win at Monza after that crazy lap in qualifying,” said Alesi in his columm for Corriere della Sera. “That was not the case and I have some friendly and affectionate thoughts to pass on to Mattia Binotto. I admire his righteousness. As a true leader, he protects his men. That’s the right attitude, always. Nobody, for example, knows the name of the designer who chose the wrong path at Mercedes, just as anyone who makes a mistake under pressure during a race must be protected.”

“As a fan, I am also convinced Binotto can seek, without fuss, some reinforcements for the future. On the strategy front, where a more aggressive approach would perhaps be useful; on the quicker understanding of set-ups, something Red Bull seem to be doing more readily. I’m not talking about revolutions but about consolidation on some decisive aspects to counter first-rate adversaries.”

‘Provide Mattia Binotto With Reinforcements’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/jean-a...einforcements/

Flavio Briatore: Incredible how Ferrari manage to mess it up in every race
    Wednesday 14th September 2022 10:00 AM
    Michelle Foster

Flavio Briatore has had a go at Ferrari for messing up their Italian Grand Prix strategy – but Christian Horner says he understands the timing of Charles Leclerc’s first pit-stop. Former Renault team boss Briatore has billed it as just another Ferrari mistake. “It’s incredible how Ferrari manage to mess it up in every race,” he told F1-Insider.com.

Binotto, though, defended Ferrari’s strategy, telling Auto Motor und Sport they knew their F1-75 did not have the pace to win and so rolled the dice. “The Red Bull was the faster car,” said the Italian. “If we had gone up against him with the same strategy, we would never have beaten him.”

“Two stops were basically not wrong because you never know what will happen later in the race. “For us, playing poker was without risk.” Told of Binotto’s comment, Briatore replied: “Incredible!”

‘Flavio Briatore: Incredible’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/flavio...-ferrari-mess/

Laurent Mekies: United Ferrari accepting setbacks ‘with a smile’
    Thursday 15th September 2022 3:30 PM
    Thomas Maher

Ferrari’s sporting director Laurent Mekies says his team are conscious of errors made in 2022, but are accepting them as part of a strengthening process. Mekies believes that Ferrari’s significant step forward in 2022 proves the team are on the right path, and are now uncovering the weaknesses that have stopped them from challenging more strongly for the titles.

Speaking to Channel 4 at the Italian Grand Prix, Mekies said a diligent approach is being taken by the Scuderia. “If you look at Sundays, we’ve had a few races where we didn’t have the right pace, but it was not the majority of them,” he said.

“We have had a few reliability issues, and we have made a few mistakes. If you add all of that, it’s simply telling us that we’ve made great steps forward this year with a faster car, but we need more work to do to be stronger all around and that’s what we are working on.”

‘Accepting Setbacks With A Smile’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lauren...etbacks-smile/

Ferrari upgrades coming for Singapore with more planned for later – report
    Thursday 15th September 2022 6:02 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Apparently rejuvenated by their Monza display, Ferrari are now reportedly planning two further 2022 upgrades, the first coming for Singapore. Ferrari now find their title challenge in 2022 effectively over, with the chance that their hopes of a first Drivers’ title since 2007 could be dashed as early as Singapore.

While Verstappen did win the race, by a margin that would have been comfortable without a Safety Car to conclude proceedings, Ferrari were certainly far more competitive than at Spa, having claimed pole via Charles Leclerc on the Saturday. So, according to the Italian branch of Motorsport.com, this has given Ferrari a spark which was needed to lift the mood at Maranello as they continue to put resources into the 2022 campaign.

They (Italian branch of Motorsport.com) report that for Singapore an upgrade to the floor and the wings will be introduced, with the Singapore Grand Prix “seen as a great opportunity” to end Verstappen’s winning streak at five as Formula 1 action returns to the Marina Bay Street Circuit for the first time since 2019. The report mentions Mexico as the venue where this second upgrade could be introduced, which would give Ferrari three races with its services. “The season is not over and we will continue to fight for victory,” said team principal Mattia Binotto, adding that the 2023 Ferrari “is coming along nicely”.

‘Ferrari Upgrades Coming’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...grades-report/

Alpine A522 set for ‘massive step of downforce’ in Singapore.
    Alpine says its A522 contender will benefit from a new floor and a “massive step of downforce” at F1’s next race in Singapore.
    15/09/2022 at 17:24
    Michael Delaney

The update will be a timely development for the Enstone squad who heads into the final stretch of the season just 18 points ahead of McLaren as the two teams battle for fourth in the Constructors’ standings. Alpine sporting director Alan Permane insists his team’s low-key performance at the Temple of Speed was a one-off, insisting the French outfit will be back where it belongs in the pecking order in Singapore.

“For sure, 100% it's an outlier," commented Permane. "We've got a new floor coming for Singapore, which has got a massive step of downforce. We'll be back where we should be, and we're really looking forward to there and especially Suzuka with this car. It's going to be fun."

Permane admitted however that he was somewhat caught out by Alpine’s relative performance at Monza, a pace deficit that still requires a few answers. “We didn't expect to struggle,” he said. “I thought we would be okay. We ran absolutely fine on Friday and that's the tricky thing, that's what we don't understand.”

‘Alpine A522 set for massive step of downforce’;

https://f1i.com/news/454502-alpine-a...singapore.html

F1 podcast: Alpine’s 2023 options + what its test will achieve
    18:32 Thu, 15 Sep 2022.
    The Race

Who should Alpine sign to partner Esteban Ocon in the 2023 Formula 1 season? That’s a question we answer in the latest edition of The Race F1 Podcast. Ben Anderson and Scott Mitchell-Malm join Edd Straw to run through Alpine’s very lengthy shortlist, and the significance of the upcoming test using a 2021 car at the Hungaroring.

While Pierre Gasly is the team’s first choice for the drive – or rather, it’s third first choice after losing out on Fernando Alonso and Oscar Piastri – there are a plethora of other candidates. We also explain why Colton Herta has a part to play in deciding Alpine’s driver line-up, even though his anticipated test outing for the Enstone team doesn’t mean he is a contender for the seat.

‘Alpine’s 2023 options’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-po...-will-achieve/

Alpine earmarks four drivers for private F1 test in Hungary
    15/09/2022 at 10:53
    Michael Delaney

Alpine has reportedly earmarked four drivers for an upcoming private Formula 1 test that is scheduled to take place at the Hungaroring.

It was reported earlier this week that Colton Herta was in line for the outing that will take place as part of F1's Testing of Previous Cars provision, meaning drivers will be entrusted with a 2021-spec Alpine A521 car. In addition to Herta, Alpine junior Jack Doohan will be in action in Hungary as well as Nyck de Vries and Antonio Giovinazzi.

Save for Herta, who is hopeful of racing with AlphaTauri next season if the American is granted a superlicence exemption by the FIA, all drivers taking part in the test are considered as candidates to fill the seat that will be vacated at Alpine by Fernando Alonso at the end of the season.

‘Alpine earmarks four drivers for private F1 test’;

https://f1i.com/news/454472-alpine-e...n-hungary.html

Four drivers set for Alpine shootout — but will any get the 2023 F1 seat?
    Only three F1 seats remain realistically open for 2023. As Alpine prepares to host a four-driver test, Adam Cooper reveals that there's still a lot more going on behind the scenes
    September 15th 2022
    F1 Author: Adam Cooper

If not Gasly at Alpine, then who? Gasly is still at the top of Alpine’s list, and it’s been made clear that any past personal rivalry between the 2020 Italian GP winner and potential future team mate Esteban Ocon will have to be overcome, should be get the drive.

Alpine has made it clear that it is in no hurry to make a decision, and thus in effect it can wait for the Gasly situation to play out. The risk is that in waiting it might lose other potential candidates. One solution is already onboard. Alpine might have lost Piastri, but it still has Jack Doohan, whose stock has been rising recently. Alpine has made its open-minded position clear by inviting Nyck de Vries and Antonio Giovinazzi to join the young Australian and Herta at the Budapest test.

De Vries raised his stock with his brilliant drive to ninth at Monza with Williams, and some would argue that Alpine should have signed him there and then. It remains to be seen whether someone else does take him even before the Alpine test can happen. Schumacher cannot be completely ruled out at Alpine, while Daniel Ricciardo should be an obvious candidate, but his name is not being mentioned.

‘Four drivers set for Alpine shootout’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-2023-f1-seat#

Fernando Alonso wanted ‘longer’ deal at Alpine, but to them it ‘didn’t make sense’
    Friday 16th September 2022 7:45 AM
    Henry Valantine

Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi has said offering Fernando Alonso a longer contract “didn’t make sense” given the deal they had with Oscar Piastri. “We wanted him (Alonso) to continue with us as an endurance and/or Dakar Rally driver,” Rossi told Formula1.com’s Lawrence Barretto.

“We spoke about it at length last year. Why did we only offer him two years? We only had two years of option with Oscar. “Fernando had a desire to drive longer in F1, which we couldn’t match or we would have lost Oscar. It didn’t make sense for us.”

“More than likely, we couldn’t match other conditions that were offered too. So with Fernando, we would have loved to continue. He’s an amazing champion, he will remain a legend of our brand – but it didn’t work and that’s life.”

‘Longer Deal At Alpine Didn’t Make Sense’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...deal-no-sense/

‘One of the hires I’m most proud of’ – Alpine CEO on Szafnauer
    14:59 Thu, 15 Sep 2022.
    By Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi rates team principal Otmar Szafnauer as “one of the hires I’m most proud of” and says he is doing an “excellent job” despite the losses of Fernando Alonso and Oscar Piastri. Szafnauer joined Alpine ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 season beginning, having left Aston Martin over the winter.

He has been the face of the team in the wake of Alonso agreeing a deal to join Aston Martin when Alpine thought the two-time world champion was set to sign a new contract, and Alpine’s long-term hope Piastri signing for McLaren instead. Alonso’s previous contractual dealings had been with Rossi, and Szafnauer said recently he only got involved from July’s French Grand Prix onwards.

“Otmar is, by the way, one of the hires I’m most proud of, because he’s delivering every day since he arrived,” said Rossi. “On topics like that [driver contracts] we stay close. So we knew all of the developments. We would agree sometimes on maximums, limits, boundaries. Because, of course, we need to be aligned, and I need to know. But there was no real disconnection between us.”

‘One of the hires I’m most proud of’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/one-o...-on-szafnauer/
    Last edited by Fortitude; 16th September 2022 at 08:03.

Zak Brown on Oscar Piastri legal battle: ‘We kept our mouths shut deliberately’
    Oscar Piastri will line up alongside Lando Norris at McLaren in 2023.
    14 September 2022
    by Nick Golding

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown has spoken out about winning the Oscar Piastri saga, for the first time since the FIA’s Contract Recognition Board concluded that the Australian was legally allowed to race for the Woking-based team next season.

Piastri is, of course, Alpine’s reserve driver and has been a profound part of their driver academy. Following Fernando Alonso’s announcement after the Hungarian Grand Prix that he’d be leaving Alpine and joining Aston Martin, the Enstone-based team released a statement of their own announcing Piastri as his replacement.

Whilst Piastri was being congratulated on social media, the 21-year-old quickly turned the situation incredibly ugly by releasing his own jaw-dropping statement. The Aussie announced that he hadn’t agreed to race for Alpine in 2023 and wouldn’t be doing so either. It soon came to light that he’d signed a contract with McLaren to replace Daniel Ricciardo; however, Alpine insisted that Piastri was contracted to race alongside Esteban Ocon next season.

‘We kept our mouths shut deliberately’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/zak-brown...-deliberately/

Brown takes potshot at Szafnauer following Piastri furore.
    McLaren CEO Zak Brown believes Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer was left looking "a little silly" throughout the recent Oscar Piastri saga.
    Thursday 15 September 2022 18:20
    Ian Parkes

The upshot was that the Contract Recognition Board sided with McLaren, leaving all at Alpine red-faced in failing to sign up its reserve driver and in whom it had invested so much time and resources over the previous years.

Explaining McLaren's positioning in the lead-up to the CRB hearing, speaking to NBC Sports, Brown said: "It was very noisy", in contrast to his team opting not to 'comment on anything'. He added: "It was better just to let things play out and give a little bit of colour afterwards.”

‘McLaren CEO Zak Brown believes Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer was left looking "a little silly"’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/91...mar-szafnauer/

Daniel Ricciardo breaks his silence to make it clear McLaren DID sack him - and insists he's not finished in F1 despite getting offer to make big switch to American racing
    • Aussie F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo confirmed he won't be with McLaren in 2023
    • Told Instagram followers news was 'bittersweet', is determined to keep racing
    • Fellow Aussie Oscar Piastri in line to replace Ricciardo at McLaren next season
    Published: 03:27, 25 August 2022
    By Andrew Prentice For Daily Mail Australia

Dumped Aussie F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo is adamant his days at the pinnacle of motor sport are not over as he made it clear McLaren made the decision to end his contract a year early.

Taking to Instagram, Ricciardo confirmed the worst-kept secret in the sport - and made it abundantly clear it was ultimately the team's decision, not his.

By saying 'the team has decided' the Aussie went against McLaren's statement that he and the team 'agreed to part ways mutually'.

'The Team Has Decided';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nished-F1.html

‘First I’ve heard’: McLaren signed Piastri despite publicly backing Ricciardo for 2023
    September 3rd, 2022 12:54 pm
    Michael Lamonato from Fox Sports

Daniel Ricciardo says he didn’t know McLaren had already signed Oscar Piastri on a two-year deal on 4 July, a month before the team issued him notice that it intended to sack him for 2023.

Piastri’s contract with McLaren was validated by the FIA’s contract recognition board on Friday after Alpine claimed it still had rights to the young Australian, who is a member of its young driver academy.

The board’s statement revealed McLaren had lodged a contract covering the 2023 and 2024 seasons signed on 4 July, the Monday after the British Grand Prix.

‘McLaren signed Piastri despite publicly backing Ricciardo for 2023’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...4addc4e86ccaaf

Ricciardo "not aware" Piastri had signed McLaren 2023 deal
    ‎03‎ ‎September‎ ‎07‎:‎00
    Author Jake Nichol

The CRB ruled that McLaren had rights on Piastri for 2023, but Ricciardo says he wasn't aware of the deal. Daniel Ricciardo has admitted he wasn't aware McLaren had signed a deal with Oscar Piastri to replace him in Formula 1 next season.

The Woking squad were rumoured to have signed Alpine junior Piastri to replace his fellow Australian, but remained tight-lipped as the case went through the FIA's Contract Recognition Board.

The CRB ruled on Friday that McLaren does have a legally binding deal with Piastri - hence he will partner Norris in 2023. However, speaking at Zandvoort following a strong day in Friday practice for the Dutch Grand Prix, Ricciardo admitted he was not aware of any deal.

‘Ricciardo "not aware" Piastri had signed McLaren 2023 deal’;

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-...aren-2023-deal

Did McLaren manipulate and lie to Daniel Ricciardo?
    Oscar Piastri will partner Lando Norris at McLaren next season.
    3 September 2022
    by James Clifford

Interestingly though, the contract recognition board (CRB), who checked Piastri’s contract with McLaren and found it to be legal, stated that it had been signed on 4 July. This is where things are even more confusing, because Ricciardo, after his employers had already signed another driver, put out a statement out nine days after Piastri’s signature stating that he was committed to staying until the end of his contract next year.

McLaren team principal, Andreas Seidl, has since insisted that the 33-year-old was told of the decision at the time, leading to questions as to why he would put out a statement revealing that he was staying if he knew that he was not.

The German called himself “transparent” at this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix, indicating that nothing underhanded had taken place. Intentional or not, the situation is cruel on Ricciardo who, at best, was accidentally misled, and at worst, was directly lied to about his future.

‘Did McLaren manipulate and lie to Daniel Ricciardo?’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/did-mclar...iel-ricciardo/

“If I’m not on the grid next year, I’m okay with that” – Ricciardo
    RaceFans Round-up
    Posted on 15th September 2022, 0:01
    Written by Keith Collantine

“I’ve certainly accepted, if I’m not to be on the grid next year, I’m okay with that,” said Ricciardo following Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix. “So I’ve accepted that I’m not going to do everything, or my [management] team’s not going to do everything just to put me on the grid if it’s not right or it doesn’t make sense.

“Obviously this year’s been challenging and if I am on the grid, I want to know that it’s a place that I can enjoy it and feel like I can thrive. An environment I feel I can thrive in. I don’t want to just jump into a car for the sake of it.”

Last year’s Italian Grand Prix winner retired from Sunday’s race while running in eighth place, having started fourth. “Days like this certainly are pretty frustrating,” he admitted. “But give it 24, 48 hours and I’ll get over it and try to understand what’s best for next year. Not in an overconfident or cocky way, but it’s not meant to be, then I’m totally okay with that. I’m not going to be too proud. We haven’t certainly given up on it, but that’s kind of where my head’s at, at the moment.”

‘I want to know that it’s a place that I can enjoy it and feel like I can thrive’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/09/15/...nd-up-15-09-5/

Schumacher axed.
    MICK SCHUMACHER is facing the sack from American team Haas, meaning the famous family name is unlikely to be on the Formula One grid next season.
    SEPTEMBER 17, 2022.
    JONATHAN MCEVOY
    Mail+

‘Schumacher axed’;

https://www.mailplus.co.uk/edition/s...chumacher-axed

Haas are ready to SACK Mick Schumacher, son of legendary Ferrari driver and seven-time world champion Michael, with Nico Hulkenberg identified as No 1 replacement target.
    Sportsmail understands Haas have already deemed him surplus to requirements.
    Mick Schumacher is set to be sacked by Haas as they eye Nico Hulkenberg
    It means the iconic racing name of the Schumacher family is set to not be on grid.
    Published: 22:30, 16 September 2022
    By Jonathan McEvoy for the Daily Mail

Sportsmail understands Hass boss Gunther Steiner has already decided that Schumacher, the 23-year-old son of legendary seven-time world champion Michael, is surplus to requirements.

Haas have instead installed Nico Hulkenberg, Schumacher's 35-year-old compatriot, as their No 1 target after he impressed as a Covid super-sub, scoring in two of his four appearances for Racing Point/Aston Martin when he filled in for corona-stricken drivers.

Hulkenberg brings the experience of 181 starts mostly racked up before he left Renault in 2019. He also enjoys a good relationship with Steiner. As for Schumacher, he has scored just twice - in Britain and Austria this year after a crash-strewn early season - since making his Formula One debut in 2021.

‘Sportsmail understands Haas have already deemed him surplus to requirements’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...al-season.html

Nico Hulkenberg close to replacing Mick Schumacher at Haas
    Nico Hulkenberg has made five appearances since he left Renault in 2019.
    16 September 2022
    by James Clifford

Reports linking Nico Hulkenberg to the currently vacant Haas seat next year have strengthened in recent days. Mick Schumacher is out of contract at the end of the year as it stands. The German struggled to put points on the board in the opening nine rounds, and crashes in Jeddah and Monaco did not help with that.

His Italian boss seemed particularly disgruntled after the latter, but the 23-year-old has found his feet since then. Schumacher deserved points at the Canadian Grand Prix before a reliability failure put pay to his chances, but he would manage his first championship points in Silverstone two weeks later.

‘Reports linking Nico Hulkenberg to vacant Haas seat, strengthened in recent days’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/nico-hulk...acher-at-haas/

Nico Hulkenberg in the mix to join Haas for 2023
    Published: 16 Sep 2022, 09:17
    By George Dagless

Nico Hulkenberg is said to be firmly in the mix for the vacant Haas seat next year, with him the potential replacement for Mick Schumacher.

Haas have one drive available for 2023 as things stand, with Kevin Magnussen already committed to another year after an impressive return to Formula 1 this season.

Indeed, it’s Mick Schumacher that is currently on the other side of the garage but the German’s future with the team and even in terms of on the grid is still in doubt, with several other names being linked with replacing him at Haas.

‘Nico Hulkenberg in the mix to join Haas’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88060319...-haas-for-2023

Hulkenberg closes on Haas deal
    SEPTEMBER 15, 2022
    GrandPrix.Com

Gene Haas’ dislike for having rookies driving for him is playing right into Nico Hulkenberg’s hands, according to Team Haas insiders. Haas re-hired Kevin Magnussen and the Dane’s results against Mick Schumacher, especially at the start of the season, reinforced his conviction that he’s much better off working with veterans.

With Mick Schumacher on his way out of the Ferrari Driver Academy and unsure if he wants to remain with Haas, feeling the team is now biased towards Magnussen and resenting Gunther Steiner’s public criticism, Haas told the Austro-Italian he wants a veteran alongside Magnussen and has set his sight on Nico Hulkenberg…

‘Much Better Off Working With Veterans’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/hulke...haas-deal.html

Mick Schumacher urged to leave Haas and make ideal career move amid Ferrari exit links.
    EXCLUSIVE: Karun Chandhok has weighed in on the long-term future of Mick Schumacher in the F1 paddock.
    12:23, Sun, Sep 11, 2022
    By Archie Griggs

Mick Schumacher would be the perfect driver to replace Nicholas Latifi at Williams if he leaves Haas and cuts ties with Ferrari's junior programme at the end of this year, according to ex-F1 driver Karun Chandhok.

"He’s come on a bit, at the start of the year he was being beaten by Kevin Magnussen, but in recent races he’s stepped up a notch," Chandhok exclusively told Express Sport when quizzed on what the future may hold for Schumacher.

"At Zandvoort his qualifying was really good. I wonder if a team like Williams for example, if they are looking to replace Nicholas Latifi, then he could be a good fit there. He’s got a couple years of experience and they’ve got Alex Albon there, who is a good lead driver.”

‘Mick Schumacher would be the perfect driver to replace Nicholas Latifi at Williams’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...errari-F1-news

Long-time Kimi Raikkonen engineer to partner Kevin Magnussen permanently
    Tuesday 13th September 2022 11:59 PM
    Henry Valantine

Haas have confirmed they have brought in Mark Slade to partner Kevin Magnussen as his full-time engineer from the Singapore Grand Prix after a lengthy search.

Slade, who had worked at McLaren alongside Kimi Raikkonen, had most recently worked at ‘Team Enstone’ under their Lotus, Renault and Alpine guises for a decade until leaving at the end of last season, and has now taken on the role of guiding Magnussen through his race weekends with Haas.

Magnussen’s former engineer Ed Regan had been moved into an office role after confirming he will be leaving the team towards the end of the season, with Dominic Haines having taken on the role on an interim basis while Haas’ recruitment process took place, advising the Dane at Spa, Zandvoort and Monza.

‘Long-time Kimi Raikkonen engineer guiding Magnussen through his race weekends with Haas’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mark-s...haas-engineer/

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ross Brawn, Formula 1 Managing Director of Motorsport, who has been integral in the introduction of the new aero regulations is set to exit the sport in 2022, reports have claimed. hellodear.in

teatv download
    Last edited by nichihaii53; 18th September 2022 at 11:08.

11. Likes: Fortitude (17th September 2022)