Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Williams FW16 Ex Senna

hi everyone, I am new here and I just saw an Williams fw16 for sale and it was an ex senna one, I just need confirmation on this as the chassis number is number 4 and is this chassis one of Ayrton senna's cars from 1994
    Please reply
    Tharazero1

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharazero1 View Post
    hi everyone, I am new here and I just saw an Williams fw16 for sale and it was an ex senna one, I just need confirmation on this as the chassis number is number 4 and is this chassis one of Ayrton senna's cars from 1994
    I'm calling shenanigans on this. Shenanigans!

The FIA mandated changes to cars following the inquest into Senna's death at Imola. If any car survived the change from FW16 to FW16B it would have been deemed illegal.
    Cars had to have changes made to the rollover hoops and airboxes as well as to the sidepods. I'm also pretty sure that bargeboards were added during the season.

Considering that Senna only raced in three races. The likelihood of him being given chassis 4 is not high. Unless you can provide photographs, I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Or in the words of Tom Magliozzi from NPR's Car Talk.... BOOOOOOOOGUS!
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 153 Times in 85 Posts
    Chassis #1 is used for the crash test. Chassis #2, #3 & #4 should've been for preseason testing, actual racing & spare car for both drivers. It could be possible that #4 was used by Senna.
    Viola ad oltranza...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Don't take this as gospel, but I've read in a couple of different places that Senna was killed in chassis #2. If #4 was a backup or T car, then he may have shared that one with Hill and it's possible that he drove it at some point. The broker offering the car should have documentation, if that is something being claimed.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Don't take this as gospel, but I've read in a couple of different places that Senna was killed in chassis #2.
    Oh that's a good get. +1

From wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ayrton_Senna
    In April 2002, Senna's FW16 chassis number 02 was returned to the Williams team.

I think that it's reasonable to suspect that Senna drove only Chassis 02. F1 cars are tailored to each driver and I don't really see engineers swapping seats and pedal sets in and out if they don't need to.

Had number 4 survived, then why wouldn't it have been rebuilt into an FW16B?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    I suspect that the original poster might want someone to ask where he saw this car , so that he could post the link , but you guys aren't playing nice .
    Shenanigans , indeed !

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Chassis number 2 was destroyed by Williams once it was returned by the Italian authorities and that is well documented I believe. They have one of Hills, but I'd be surprised if one of Senna's is floating around in the private sales market.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    will our opening poster be making a bid on it?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Well if they're already buying a Modena Lamborghini 291 and a Caterham CT03 and goodness knows what else, they must have money to burn.

If someone can sell me either XKD606 or XJ13 for a fiver, I'd be interested

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Well if they're already buying a Modena Lamborghini 291 and a Caterham CT03 and goodness knows what else, they must have money to burn.

If someone can sell me either XKD606 or XJ13 for a fiver, I'd be interested
    I'm saying this is the latest iteration of Tamburello. It's about time we heard from him anyway!!
    May the forza be with you