Routine race or “chaos” in Catalunya? Leclerc faces stiff competition in Spain.
There are several factors which indicate Sunday’s Spanish Grand Prix could be one of the more eventful for many years.
2022 Spanish Grand Prix pre-race analysis
Posted on 21st May 2022, 22:53
Written by Will Wood

The Spanish Grand Prix has a reputation for producing some of the most consistently insipid, unremarkable races of any circuit on the Formula 1 calendar. A combination of long, sustained corners and an awkward chicane leading onto the main straight proved a major hindrance to racing in Formula 1’s heavily aero-sensitive cars affected by dirty air. With drivers so familiar with the course through countless laps in testing, the event has become known as the ‘Noah’s Ark’ race, where the ranking roughly reflects the field’s performance order from the fastest cars at the front to the slowest car occupying the back row.

Abnormally high temperatures across the weekend – even by southern Spain’s standards – mean tyres are going to be punished around the already abrasive and demanding circuit. Drivers are fully aware of the challenge that is awaiting them tomorrow. “I think it’s going to be a chaotic race tomorrow,” Mercedes’ George Russell predicted after qualifying. “There’s going to be a number of stops, I believe, for everybody.”

“Well, [the start] can be important but, on the other hand, also not really,” Verstappen said. “For example, last year I took the lead in the start, I still didn’t win the race. “You need, overall, just good pace during the race. You need good tyre management around here. It’s really hard on tyres with the high-speed cornering. So of course, if there is an opportunity you go for it. If it’s not, you don’t. You just settle and try to wait for the opportunity and hope that of course the package you have tomorrow in the race is competitive enough to fight for the win.”

‘Routine or chaos’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/21/...tion-in-spain/

The battle into Turn 1, and Mercedes back in the mix – What To Watch For in the Spanish GP
21 May 2022
Special contributor
Chris Medland

From the top two in the championship on the front row to the potential for different strategies; and from a clearer picture of Mercedes’ progress to Fernando Alonso with it all to do, we pick out some of the key areas to keep an eye on in Sunday’s Grand Prix at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya…

1. Title rivals into Turn 1
2. The strategy battle between Ferrari and Red Bull
3. Mercedes’ pace
4. Alonso with a mountain to climb
5. Feeling the heat

‘What to watch for’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...7DWYUZepF.html

Spanish GP: Post Qualifying press conference
21/05/2022
NEWS STORY

Today's post-qualifying press conference with Charles Leclerc, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz.
Grid Interviews - Conducted by Naomi Schiff

Charles, congratulations. Fantastic atmosphere we have here in Barcelona, and you're on pole position here for the first time. How do you feel?
Charles Leclerc: I feel good. It was a very, very difficult session. I mean, especially in Q3 because I did a mistake in the first run of Q3 and then obviously, I only had one lap. But it went extremely well. I had a bit of moments on my lap, but at the end, I made it stick and very, very happy with pole position. It was a it was a very good lap, and the car was amazing, too. So yeah, very happy.

Max, congratulations. It's not the result you would have wanted. We heard that you struggled with some power issues. Did that cost you the pole position today?
Max Verstappen: I mean, it's always difficult to tell. But I couldn't do my final run. Either the DRS didn't open or I just lost power. So it's a bit of a shame but I think, overall, you know, to be on the front row for us here, looking at the whole weekend so far, I think was a good achievement. But of course, I would have liked to go for that final run.

Carlos, the crowd making a lot of noise for you here. Congratulations, third today, in front of your home crowd. How do you feel?
Carlos Sainz: Yeah, it's been a tough weekend so far. The conditions haven't been the easiest with the heat. with a wind. But today we managed to put a decent lap that allows us to fight from there tomorrow. I think the key will be the start, the tyre management, see if we can get a good start and go from there. But it's a decent position to start.

‘Post Qualifying press conference’;

https://www.pitpass.com/72553/Spanis...ess-conference

Russell says Mercedes ‘could have been third’ on grid with updated car
2022 Spanish Grand Prix
Posted on 21st May 2022, 18:49
Written by Will Wood and Claire Cottingham

George Russell says that Mercedes secured their “best result we’ve had as a team” after securing fourth on the grid for the Spanish Grand Prix. Russell hailed the team’s best performance of the year, but claimed it was achieved despite not optimising their soft tyre temperatures throughout the lap.

“I think obviously it’s all based on results and that was the best result we’ve had as a team all season,” Russell said. “I think it offers optimism because, to be honest, I think we didn’t have the tyres in the right window whatsoever. It was always quickest in sector one and we were always struggling in sector three and we just couldn’t find that right balance to be honest.”

Starting from the second row on the grid, Russell believes Mercedes are likely to be even stronger on Sunday compared to Saturday.

‘Optimization’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/21/...h-updated-car/

Mercedes: Until it’s mathematically over, it’s not over
22 May, 2022
Reuters

Mercedes are bullish after their improvement at the 2022 Spanish Grand Prix weekend, and insist their Title defense is not over yet, not until it’s mathematically over. Mercedes have not given up on defending their Formula 1 Constructors’ Title despite a difficult start to the season, the team’s technical director Mike Elliott said on Saturday.

The team, who have won the last eight World Championships, are third overall after five races and 63 points adrift of leaders Ferrari, with Red Bull second and 57 points ahead of Mercedes. “Of course. We wouldn’t be here otherwise,” Elliott said when asked at the Spanish Grand Prix whether Mercedes believed they could still win the 2022 championship.

“Until it’s mathematically over, it’s not over. We’re not a huge distance behind. If we can get the car to a position where we’re competitive and hopefully out in front then there’s every chance.”

‘Mathematically not over’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/05...-its-not-over/

Mercedes gained “a chunk of downforce” from Spanish GP update
2022 Spanish Grand Prix
Posted on 21st May 2022, 13:16
Written by Keith Collantine

The team brought a package of changes largely focused on the car’s floor this weekend. The W13 appeared to porpoise much less than before in Friday practice, where Lewis Hamilton and George Russell posted competitive lap times.

The team brought a package of changes largely focused on the car’s floor this weekend. The W13 appeared to porpoise much less than before in Friday practice, where Lewis Hamilton and George Russell posted competitive lap times. The pair praised the improvements made by their team after the session. “I’m glad they’re confident,” said the team’s technical director Mike Elliott.

Elliott said the team is still evaluating which is the better concept for their car. “It’s still a little bit too early to say. “I think we’ve changed the car so much for this weekend we need to work out how we get the best out of it. We need to work out what more lap time there is in that and then do the assessment as to whether we think overall this is a better direction to develop in.”

‘Gaining a chunk of downforce’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/21/...ish-gp-update/