Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Two-place rise in championship a “welcome reward” for Aston Martin.
    Aston Martin scored their best result of the season so far in Singapore and moved up two places in the championship, which team principal Mike Krack said was a “welcome reward” for their efforts.
    2022 Singapore Grand Prix
    Posted on 3rd October 2022, 12:13
    Written by Keith Collantine

Lance Stroll equalled the team’s highest finishing position of the season with sixth place. Team mate Sebastian Vettel added to their points haul in eighth, having been overtaken by Max Verstappen on the final lap. Lance Stroll equalled the team’s highest finishing position of the season with sixth place. Team mate Sebastian Vettel added to their points haul in eighth, having been overtaken by Max Verstappen on the final lap.

Krack praised his drivers’ efforts as both finished five places higher than they started. “Lance drove fast yet patiently to sixth place, scoring an excellent eight world championship points for us,” he said. “Sebastian, finishing eighth, added four more, pipped for seventh on the final lap by a hard-charging Verstappen. On a very slippery track surface, both our drivers handled an extremely tricky task superbly. As a result, we have climbed a couple of places in the constructors’ world championship, which is a welcome reward for the steady progress we have been making recently.”

Aston Martin moved past Haas and AlphaTauri into seventh place in the constructors’ championship. They are 15 points behind Alfa Romeo with five races left. “Formula 1 is a team effort, and in particular I want to pay tribute to our mechanics, who have worked long and hard in very humid conditions over the past few days, and executed our pit stops brilliantly this evening,” Krack added. “I also want to thank the team back home at Silverstone, who also did a fantastic job.”

‘Welcome reward’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/03/...-aston-martin/

Aston Martin’s Mike Krack: “Both our drivers handled an extremely tricky task superbly”
    October 3, 2022
    By Jamie Partis-Nelson

Mike Krack, the Team Principal of Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula 1 Team, has heaped the praise on both of his drivers after both Lance Stroll and Sebastian Vettel were able to work their way through the tricky conditions of the Singapore Grand Prix to claim the team’s second double points finish of the 2022 FIA Formula 1 World Championship season.

Both Lance Stroll and Sebastian Vettel were able to make their way up into the top ten on the opening later, with Vettel particularly enjoying a remarkable start to the race with the German climbing five places to eighth by the end of the opening lap. The Aston Martin duo had taken advantage of Max Verstappen’s poor start to the race but the Dutchmen would soon be passing Lance Stroll on the second lap and would eventually make his way past Sebastian Vettel at the safety-car restart on the eleventh lap of the race.

A mistake from Yuki Tsunoda on lap twenty-one would allow Stroll to rejoin the point-paying positions and just moments later both Aston Martin drivers would be moving up a place in the order as Fernando Alonso’s race came to an abrupt end. The Aston Martin pitwall followed the rest of the grid in electing to pit both drivers onto a set of medium tyres on lap thirty-four, with Sebastian Vettel coming in first, followed by Lance Stroll a lap later. A slow out-lap from Vettel would subsequently allow Stroll to execute an overcut on his teammate and rejoin the grid in seventh place.

‘Both our drivers handled an extremely tricky task superbly’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...task-superbly/

Lance Stroll 'happy to pick up a bunch of points' in Singapore GP
    02 Oct 2022

Aston Martin's Lance Stroll is "happy to pick up a bunch of points" with a P6 finish in the 2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix, after things "went our way" in a chaotic race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

"Happy to pick up a bunch of points";

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...132500780.html

Lance Stroll: “It feels so good to pick up sixth place tonight”
    October 3, 2022
    By Jamie Partis-Nelson

Speaking after the race, Stroll was left delighted after achieving his best result of the season, which has also helped Aston Martin climb two positions in the Constructor’s Standings.

“It feels so good to pick up sixth place tonight, which is my best result of the season. It was also a good day for Seb, so we have come away with a big bunch of points. That is great for everybody in the team who is working so hard. It was a tricky race: the track surface was very slippery for the whole race, and it was not easy to stay out of trouble.”

“It took a very long time to dry, just as it did yesterday. It was just a case of waiting for the areas with the new asphalt to dry out before the switch to slicks, which we timed really well. We have moved up in the teams’ championship, which is important and a nice boost as we enter the final part of the season.”

“It feels so good to pick up sixth place tonight”;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...place-tonight/

‘Things just went our way’ – Aston Martin drivers thrilled with biggest points haul of 2022 in Singapore
    03 October 2022
    Formula 1.

Aston Martin picked up their second double-points finish of the season and jumped Haas and AlphaTauri in the standings as Lance Stroll finished sixth and Sebastian Vettel eighth in the Singapore Grand Prix – both drivers leaving the Lion City delighted with the outcome.

The team in green had Stroll start 11th and Vettel 13th, but both drivers kept their noses clean in a race of attrition that saw six drivers retire, plus mistakes from Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen. Five-time Singapore GP winner Vettel said his start was the key to a P8 finish.

“I knew I had to be aggressive at the start,” he said, “so after the initial bit of patience across the line, I knew I had to push, which I did. I was checking out some lines on the lap to the grid and it worked, so happy with that. And after that, I think we got a bit unlucky; I would have liked to stay out longer – we’ll have a look – but I think it wasn’t great that the Safety Car just came out, which just then banked the positions.”

‘Things just went our way’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...NnIS4QROC.html

Watch: Onboard Sebastian Vettel’s lightning start at Singapore
    Sebastian Vettel has claimed five victories at the Marina Bay Circuit in his F1 career.
    3 October 2022
    by Nick Golding

Sebastian Vettel rolled back the years in his final Singapore Grand Prix, after achieving an excellent eighth place finish at a circuit he has such a special relationship with. The German driver made an astonishing start in conditions which probably reminded him of 2017, where himself, Max Verstappen and Kimi Raikkonen all collided after launching from the line.

The retiring 35-year-old who started P14, worked his way through to ninth by the exit of Turn Five, after appearing to have substantially better grip than those around him. The German explained the importance of being “aggressive at the start” and revealed how he knew he could make rapid progress on the opening lap.

“I knew I had to be aggressive at the start,” Vettel said. “First patience, then I started pushing. In the formation lap I looked at different lines and that worked well.” Vettel quickly settled into the race towards the bottom of the points, at the circuit where he’s achieved eight podiums, including, an unmatched five victories.

‘Sebastian Vettel’s lightning start’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/watch-onb...-at-singapore/

ONBOARD: Vettel gains five places in brilliant start to 2022 Singapore Grand Prix
    02 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

Ride onboard with Sebastian Vettel at the Marina Bay Street Circuit as the Aston Martin driver gains five places in a brilliant start to the 2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix.

‘ONBOARD with Sebastian Vettel’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...660154490.html

Sebastian Vettel Wasn't Raised Like Other F1 Champions and He Isn't Retiring Like One, Either!
    Motorsports A to Z: Sebastian Vettel, ‘A’ is for agitator.
    Oct 3, 2022
    By Mike Guy

CAYCE CLIFFORD
    “What is an activist?” asks Sebastian Vettel. He’s scratching his scruffy face and grimacing, bristling at the accusation that he has become one. It’s hard to argue against it: Over the past couple of years, even as he’s struggled to find top-10 finishes with the Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team, Vettel has become the sport’s loudest voice on topics many racing fans won’t appreciate: civil rights, boycotting Russia, the plight of underprivileged children, the burdens placed on the Global South, and, most significantly, climate change, which he believes is linked to everything.
    This story originally appeared in Volume 13 of Road & Track.

‘A’ is for agitator

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ettel-profile/

Alonso slates "unacceptable" Alpine loss.
    Fernando Alonso has vented his frustration after a double DNF for Alpine at the Singapore Grand Prix allowed McLaren to jump the French team in the F1 constructors' standings.
    Sunday 2 October 2022 18:29
    Sam Hall & Ewan Gale

After starting the race with an 18-point advantage over its main rival in the fight for fourth, Alpine left the Marina Bay Street Circuit trailing by four. Both Alonso, making an F1 record 350th start, and team-mate Esteban Ocon retired within six laps of one another on 21 and 27 respectively with suspected power unit issues.

Explaining how many points he feels he has lost this year, a frustrated Alonso said: “I think I was around minus 50, so now we add another eight so it is minus 58 or minus 60 in a year which is unacceptable on my car, on car 14. “If you put me 60 points more in the standings and you reduce obviously 10 or something from the others, because you take points from the others as well, my championship would look much better and close even to the Mercedes.

“That probably is more accurate of the performance that we have put in this year of which I am very proud, even today. Another top five, top six we were fighting for. But the standings don’t translate the true performance.”

"Unacceptable";

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/92...ne-retirement/

Fernando Alonso now 'minus 60 points' due to 'mechanical issues'
    02 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

Fernando Alonso feels that he is now "minus 60 points" due to "mechanical issues" this season, following the Alpine driver's forced retirement from the 2022 Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

'Minus 60 points'

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...601605259.html

Alonso rues huge loss of points after Singapore DNF: It hurts
    04/10/2022, ‎13‎:‎25
    Author Anna Francis

"It's a pity to retire early from today’s race, and it means we've missed out on some decent points in the championship," Alonso said after the Grand Prix. "I think we can look at the positives and we can be very proud of our performance this weekend again. We were fighting for the top five and six positions on Saturday and similar in today’s race.”

"It was a very tricky race in difficult conditions, and it was hard to see the dry line appearing on the track. We have another race coming next weekend, so at least we can shift focus immediately to Japan and getting back into the points there."

Despite being able to take the positives from the weekend, Alonso has been reflecting on the amount of points he has lost through recording four retirements during the season. Latest DNF "hurts" for Alonso. Taking to social media after the race, Alonso reiterated that the deficit of points has been difficult to accept, but thanked fans for continuing to show their support.

‘It hurts’;

https://racingnews365.com/alonso-rue...e-dnf-it-hurts

Alpine believe ‘similar issue’ caused their Singapore double DNF
    Monday 3rd October 2022 8:00 PM
    Jon Wilde

Alpine have indicated the problems that forced Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon’s retirements from the Singapore Grand Prix were related. Within seven laps of each other and before the halfway mark, both Alpine drivers had stopped by the side of the Marina Bay circuit which was drying out after heavy rain and a 65-minute delay to the race start.

It was a desperately poor weekend for Alpine as their arch-rivals this season, McLaren, capitalised on their double DNF by taking fourth and fifth places respectively through Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo. That meant Alpine are down to fifth in the Constructors’ Championship, now trailing McLaren by four points.

“A pity as we’ve been very competitive all weekend,” was Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer’s take on events. “It looks like we suffered a similar power unit issue on both cars which we will investigate in detail. It’s important we identify the root cause of what happened and put preventative measures in place to avoid a repeat.”

‘Similar issue caused their Singapore double DNF’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine...singapore-dnf/

‘Put Fernando Alonso in other people’s cars, and he would’ve won more titles’
    Tuesday 4th October 2022 11:00 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Max Verstappen said that if it had been Fernando Alonso in the world title-winning cars, then he would have won more than his current two. Alonso muscled his way to the pinnacle of Formula 1 back in 2005, winning his first World Championship to end the dominant streak of Ferrari’s Michael Schumacher, who had won five titles in a row between 2000-2004.

Verstappen is now on the verge of crowning himself a two-time champ, which would also be achieved in back-to-back seasons like Alonso did. Discussing that topic in Singapore, Alonso would bring up his own stats in reference to the upcoming achievement which now seems like a formality for Verstappen.

“He’s 24 or 25, no? So there’s still a lot in front of him, but I wish him more luck than me because I was also 26 with those stats and still have the same stats at 40!” Alonso stated. In response, Verstappen said that looking back, Alonso would have won further titles if he was in the dominant cars that have taken drivers to the Formula 1 summit in past years.

‘Would’ve won more titles’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...o-more-titles/

Pierre Gasly deal with Alpine inching closer with Nyck de Vries teed up by AlphaTauri as F1 driver market takes shape

4 Oct 2022
    James Dielhenn

Pierre Gasly could finalise his move to Alpine ahead of the F1 Japanese Grand Prix this weekend, says Helmut Marko. The F1 2023 driver line-up is nearing completion and Gasly’s expected switch from AlphaTauri to Alpine is one of the few remaining major changes.

Nyck de Vries is teed up by AlphaTauri as his replacement and the whole saga could be closed within days. “There are talks,” Red Bull consultant Marko told the Austrian TV ORF. “And we hope to have a clear situation by next weekend. I assume that should be decided by Suzuka. Then can we say what’s the deal.

“First the Gasly thing has to be clarified then it will be decided who comes to AlphaTauri. “For AlphaTauri, it must not be a deterioration. That means it must be a high-profile and fast driver.”

‘Pierre Gasly deal with Alpine inching closer’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/101376...-dominoes-fall

Russell: Mercedes definitely had a car capable of winning.
    The Mercedes driver thinks the world champions let the chance for a first victory of the season slip through their fingers at the 2022 Singapore GP
    October 3, 2022
    By Andrew Wright

Despite finishing last of the 14 drivers who crossed the line at the 2022 Singapore Grand Prix, George Russell insists Mercedes had a car that could have won on merit around the Marina Bay circuit.

The world champions arrived in Singapore with cause for optimism but Russell‘s hopes of a first F1 victory went up in smoke after a brake issue in qualifying and a new engine meant he started from the pit lane, while Lewis Hamilton could only manage ninth after he locked up in pursuit of Carlos Sainz and ended up hitting the barrier at Turn 7.

“Firstly, confidence restored that we fixed the car today and we had our normal pace,” Russell told reporters. “We definitely had a car this weekend that was capable of winning.

‘The chance for a first victory of the season slipped through their fingers’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...-singapore-gp/

‘We had a car to win’ – Russell admits he and Mercedes missed a golden opportunity in Singapore.
    George Russell reckons Mercedes could have claimed their first victory of the 2022 F1 season on merit at the Singapore Grand Prix, had he and his team executed a cleaner weekend.
    03 October 2022
    Formula 1.

Russell suffered a surprise Q2 exit at the Marina Bay Street Circuit as brake issues – which followed several off-track excursions in practice – scuppered his efforts, with Mercedes electing to turn his P11 grid spot into a pit lane start by fitting a host of new power unit elements.

Working his way up the order from the back of the field, Russell was the first driver to make the switch from intermediates to slicks as the wet-dry race developed, but any hopes of a points finish were dashed when he clashed with Haas driver Mick Schumacher and picked up a puncture.

After crossing the line as the final finisher in 14th, with the fastest lap to his name, Russell said: “We were in no man’s land, to be honest. Potentially it was [worth switching to slicks], because at the restart we were flying – I overtook three people on one lap after the Safety Car.”

‘We had a car to win’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...33FnW8oRD.html

George Russell: Mercedes driver confident over 2023 car design philosophy
    Last Updated: 04/10/22 9:40am
    SKY Sports.

George Russell has revealed a new "philosophy" Mercedes are working towards on their 2023 car design has left him confident of a return to contention next season.

Mercedes have endured, by their extremely-high standards, a dismal 2022 campaign, failing to challenge Max Verstappen and Red Bull for both the drivers' and constructors' world championships.

A series of performance issues with the W13 has left Mercedes without a win going into the final five races of the season, while a poor weekend in Singapore saw them fall away from Ferrari in the battle for second in the constructors' standings.

‘Confident over 2023 car design philosophy’;

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ign-philosophy

Wolff reflects on 'tough lesson' for Mercedes in Singapore.
    As they look to challenge Ferrari for P2 in the Constructors' Championship, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admits that the team's hopes have taken a knock following a challenging weekend for them at the Singapore Grand Prix.
    ‎03‎ ‎October‎ ‎17‎:‎00
    Author RacingNews365 Staff

Wolff was left frustrated that Mercedes were unable to utilise the pace that the car had displayed during the weekend. "This season has given us several tough lessons – and today was another one," Wolff explained after the race.

"We started from opposite ends of the grid with our two cars, but we couldn't capitalise on the car's race pace with either of them, when it came to an end result. Lewis was fighting for the podium for much of the race – but also battling a car balance that was on a knife edge today, in difficult conditions and on the bumpy surface.”

"After he locked up and damaged the wing, the stop to change tyres and the nose cost him position – then he lost out even more when cars ahead pitted under Safety Car and jumped ahead. That left him stuck in a train of cars on very similar aged tyres, and he couldn't make up any ground.”

'Tough lesson';

https://racingnews365.com/wolff-refl...s-in-singapore

Mercedes dealt "tough lessons" in Singapore slip - Wolff
    Monday 3 October 2022 18:10
    Ewan Gale

After a power unit change triggered a pit lane start, Russell struggled to make progress in the wet opening stages of the race. A gamble in switching early to slicks failed to pay off before contact with Mick Schumacher's Haas left Russell outside of the points.

"We rolled the dice on dry tyres when he was running out of the points," said Wolff. "In hindsight, it was clearly too early, but he had nothing to lose, so we were prepared to take the gamble. "Even so, as the race unfolded, he was still on course to make it back to the points until the collision with Mick, which put him last on the road.”

"The biggest frustration is that we couldn't build on the signs of competitive performance we saw in FP2 and in qualifying." With Ferrari securing a double podium, Mercedes' hopes of clinching second in the constructors' championship is now a steep climb as it trails the Scuderia by 67 points.

‘We rolled the dice on dry tyres’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/92...es-toto-wolff/

Toto Wolff offers excuse for Lewis Hamilton’s shocking performance
    Sir Lewis Hamilton finished ninth in Singapore, while George Russell slumped to P14.
    4 October 2022
    by James Clifford

Hamilton lost third off the start to Carlos Sainz and, in his haste to pass the Spaniard, locked up at Turn Seven, sailing off into the barrier. Somewhat remarkably, he was able to continue with some damage to his front wing, but he later had a sideways moment while trying to leapfrog Sebastian Vettel.

Toto Wolff: “Lewis was fighting for the podium for much of the race – but also battling a car balance that was on a knife edge today, in difficult conditions and on the bumpy surface. After he locked up and damaged the wing, the stop to change tyres and the nose cost him position, then he lost out even more when cars ahead pitted under Safety Car and jumped ahead.”

“That left him stuck in a train of cars on very similar aged tyres, and he couldn’t make up any ground. The biggest frustration today is that we couldn’t build on the signs of competitive performance we saw in FP2 and in qualifying.”

‘Toto Wolff offers excuse’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/toto-wolf...g-performance/

Honda logo to return to Red Bull and AlphaTauri cars from Japanese GP onwards.
    Honda will feature their logo on the AlphaTauri AT03 and Red Bull RB18 from the Japanese Grand Prix onwards as they ramp up their partnership with their former F1 engine customers.
    05 October 2022
    Formula 1.

Although the Japanese marque officially left F1 at the end of 2021, having powered Max Verstappen to his maiden title with Red Bull, Honda still have a presence in the sport. In August they extended their support deal with Red Bull Powertrains and have admitted an interest in the new-for-2026 power unit regulations.

And starting with this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix, and continuing until at least the end of the season, the Honda logo will return to the cars of both AlphaTauri and Red Bull. Furthermore, Singapore Grand Prix winner Sergio Perez will become an ambassador for the Suzuka-based Honda Racing School, which mentors those aged 15-21.

“Honda has invested significantly in hybrid technology over the course of our partnership,” began Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner. “This has ensured the supply of competitive power units to both teams, for which we are very grateful. Our combined goal is to continue to deliver dominant engines and achieve the most success possible in the following three years. To mark this, we look forward to welcoming the Honda logo back on to the car from Suzuka onwards.”

‘Honda logo to return’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tGGaVJ6Jq.html

Japanese Grand Prix weather: Rain forecasted during Suzuka race weekend
    Wednesday 5th October 2022 5:30 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Formula 1 returns to Suzuka for the first time since 2019 to contest the 2022 Japanese Grand Prix, and you probably need an umbrella. Like Singapore where Formula 1 revisited last weekend, the Japanese Grand Prix also had been absent from Formula 1 for the past couple of years due to the global pandemic, but now makes its much-anticipated return to the schedule.

Formula 1 will come armed with challengers looking far different to their 2019 predecessors, while the 2022 World Champion could well be crowned at Suzuka. It was a messy weekend for Max Verstappen in Singapore, who had an against-the-odds chance of sealing his second title there and then. Finishing the race P7, it meant moving on to Japan with Charles Leclerc and Singapore victor Sergio Perez just about still in contention.

For the first time though it is all now in Verstappen’s hands. If he wins the Japanese Grand Prix, which he is yet to do in his career, and takes the bonus point for fastest lap, then there is nothing Leclerc nor Perez can do, Verstappen will be a two-time World Champion. Japan is of course the preferred destination for Red Bull to see Verstappen crowned champion, as it is the home race for their power unit supporter Honda, who it was announced ahead of the race weekend have ramped up their partnership with the Red Bull teams with the return of their logos, plus some further initiatives.

‘Japan is of course the preferred destination for Red Bull’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/2022-j...-prix-weather/

Japanese Grand Prix: 5 dramatic moments from the F1 archive
    05 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

Check out five of the most dramatic moments at the Japanese Grand Prix, from a three-wheeled Jacques Villeneuve to a Daniil Kvyat flip.

‘5 dramatic moments’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...197176660.html

Alfa Romeo ‘need to score’ at Suzuka after ‘stupid incident’ last weekend
    2022 Japanese Grand Prix
    Posted on 5th October 2022, 12:17
    Written by Ida Wood and Will Wood

Alfa Romeo’s head of trackside engineering Xevi Pujolar says the team “need” to score points in this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix, having taken a single point from the last eight races.

“We just need to make sure that we score some points in Suzuka, and need to keep pushing,” said Pujolar. “I think it’s more tough for Haas and AlphaTauri. But for sure we cannot back off.” The team expects to make some development gains before the end of the season, said Pujolar. “We will have some upgrades in the next events.

“We just need to make sure that we qualify stronger than what we did here, and still [make sure the] start, lap one improves, and we should be then fighting with the guys in the top 10 as well, as several times this year. What we expect is we want to be fighting for the Q3 on Saturday, and from there we want to fight for the points with both cars. That’s what I want, the expectation.”

‘Alfa Romeo need to score’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/05/...-last-weekend/

Verstappen's title charge and Suzuka's return – 5 storylines we’re excited about ahead of the Japanese GP
    05 October 2022
    Chris Medland
    Special contributor

Fresh from a dramatic race in Singapore, it’s the return of another exciting venue as Formula 1 heads to Japan for the first time since 2019. Here are a few of the topics we expect to be doing the rounds when the paddock reconvenes in Suzuka…
    1. Title permutations for Verstappen
    2. The budget cap
    3. Midfield fights
    4. Driver market movement
    5. Stunning Suzuka

‘5 Storylines’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...yuWc6API9.html

Yuki Tsunoda back home for Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka.
    “Yuki is a faster driver than I am,” Verstappen says in Japanese in a funny Twitter post. It’s unclear if the Red Bull driver— who can clinch his second straight season title on Sunday — knew what he was saying.
    October 05, 2022 11:50 PM
    By STEPHEN WADE AP Sports Writer

SUZUKA, JAPAN
    There's no place like home for Yuki Tsunoda, Japan's only Formula One driver who will be an overwhelming fan favorite in Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix. Tsunoda will be wearing a special helmet designed by a fan, he's all over social media because of a karaoke session in Japan with AlphaTauri teammate Pierre Gasly, and he has even taught defending Formula One champion Max Verstappen a few words of Japanese.

Images of Tsunoda's face are also up on posters all around the track area. “It's definitely cool,” Tsunoda said Thursday “Currently, I don't feel like it's pressure. It really makes me feel supported and gives me extra energy.” Tsunoda isn't yet in Verstappen's class, but he's a rising talent and one of only two Asian drivers in F1 along with China's Zhou Guanyu. Tsunoda has earned 11 points this season — all in the first six races. Zhou has six points with Alfa Romeo,

Verstappen has 341 points, 104 ahead of Charles Leclerc of Ferrari, and 106 clear of his Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez. Five races remain in the season, including the Japanese GP. “I think, realistically that Max is going to be a champion — if not this weekend it's going to be very, very soon,” Leclerc said. Tsunoda should have an advantage at Suzuka. He learned racing there as a graduate of the so-called Suzuka Racing School, and said he's driven on the track in central Japan since 2016. “I drove here like more than 10,000 laps or whatever,” he said. “So I know a lot of tricks.”

Max: “Yuki is a faster driver than I am,”;

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports...mainstage_lead

How Max Verstappen can pip Charles Leclerc to F1 title this Sunday at Japanese Grand Prix.
    For the first time this season Verstappen has the chance to bag the championship, irrespective of what any other driver does. The 25-year-old just needs to win the Japanese race and cement the fastest lap to get his hands on the trophy for a second time.
    Max Verstappen looks certain to get his hands on his second consecutive F1 world title this year.
    05:15, Thu, Oct 6, 2022
    By Tom Parsons

Max Verstappen currently leads the F1 Drivers’ Championship by a whopping 104 points. The Red Bull ace, whose nearest rival is Ferrari star Charles Leclerc, is closing in on title glory despite finishing a lowly seventh at the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday. And he looks set to win his second consecutive world championship trophy after getting his hands on it for the first time last December.

If Verstappen wins the Suzuka race but doesn’t secure the fastest lap point, he will need Leclerc to finish third or lower to become champion. Perez will be out of the running for the title if Verstappen crosses the line in first position.

While Verstappen will be focused on his own race at the Japanese Grand Prix, he doesn’t necessarily need to win it to become champion. The Dutchman only needs to bag eight more points than Leclerc and six more points than Perez to get this hands on the title.

‘Second consecutive F1 world title’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...Lewis-Hamilton

Max Verstappen has chance to end six-year Mercedes stronghold at Japanese Grand Prix
    Max Verstappen is within touching distance of winning his second world championship.
    By Sam Smith
    18:08, Wed, Oct 5, 2022

Max Verstappen can give himself the best chance of winning the world championship at Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix by overcoming the huge stronghold Mercedes have had on the event over the last decade. The Red Bull ace hopes to have the title wrapped up soon to avoid a late comeback from Charles Leclerc or even team-mate Sergio Perez.

Verstappen remains 104 points ahead of Leclerc and will surely win the championship in the coming weeks, if not in Japan. Among several permutations this weekend, the simplest is for Verstappen to win the Grand Prix while securing an extra point for the fastest lap.

‘Within touching distance of winning his second world championship’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...milton-F1-news

Lando Norris and McLaren 'back in the fight' for Japan GP
    06 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

McLaren's Lando Norris says it's "good to be back'" in Japan and hopes to extend their lead against Alpine during the 2022 Formula 1 Japanese GP.

'Back in the fight';

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...871088303.html

Valtteri Bottas has 'high expectations' with new upgrades for the Japan GP
    06 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

Hoping to "fight for some good points" in Japan, Alfa Romeo's Valtteri Bottas is feeling hopeful in his first return since his 2019 win at Suzuka.

'High expectations';

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...942154444.html

Magnussen on Suzuka Return: “I think it should be alright, it could be good for us”
    By Paul Hensby
    October 6, 2022

The Dane says coming back to the historic circuit, which has hosted many memorable races across the years, is good, and he is hoping to return to the points this weekend for the first time since the Austrian Grand Prix weekend.

“I have memories of watching Formula 1 and it was one of those tracks where, as a kid, it made me want to try it that much more,” said Magnussen. “It has a lot of history – obviously with [Ayrton] Senna and [Alain] Prost, and Honda of course – but for me we’ve scored a few points, and I’m hoping to score more on our return.”

“I think it should be alright, it could be good for us. It’s not a low downforce track so we should be able to run the optimal package for the track. With these cars, Japan is going to be easier to overtake on because it always used to be following.”

‘It could be good for us’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...e-good-for-us/

Leclerc expecting 'very very strong' Red Bull at Suzuka.
    Charles Leclerc is bracing for a strong weekend by Red Bull at Suzuka, but the Ferrari driver vows to focus on his own performance and on executing a good race on Sunday.
    06/10/2022 at 14:53
    Phillip van Osten

"Red Bull will be very strong here," Leclerc said on Thursday. "It’s a track where you run the car in a similar position to Spa and I expect them to be very, very strong. So hopefully we learned well in Spa and we will be stronger than we were there."

"I think, realistically, Max is going to be champion – if it’s not this weekend, it’s going to be very, very soon," said Leclerc. "But we need to focus on ourselves, try to execute well this Sunday. Because the performance is not what we lacked this year.”

"If we look from the first race through to now, we’ve always been strong and the performance was always good enough to actually fight for wins – apart from some offs, but there weren’t many. I think it’s mostly about trying to put everything together coming into Sunday – strategy, tyre management, that’s where we are focussing on at the moment.”

‘Expecting 'very very strong' Red Bull’;

https://f1i.com/news/456158-leclerc-...at-suzuka.html

Why Ferrari are expecting an intense test for tyres at Suzuka
    06/10/2022, ‎07‎:‎00
    Author Michael Butterworth

With high tyre wear expected during the Japanese Grand Prix, Ferrari's Head of Tyre Science explains how the Scuderia plan to approach the weekend. Ferrari are expecting high tyre wear at this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix at the Suzuka Circuit. "It's a very high energy track, characterised by its high speed sections with frequent changes of direction," said Galbally.

"It is an anomaly in the season in terms of left-to-right energy distribution, being the most symmetric track of the year (with as much energy turning left as you have turning right). Due to the high energy content, Pirelli brings the three hardest compounds available (C1/C2/C3), which is actually the least common combination, only used at five races, with Japan being the last of them.”
    "Tyre wear rates are on the high side, because of the long combined corners, while the track abrasion level is typically on the medium to high side. The combination of all these factors, along with the unpredictable weather, makes Suzuka an intense test for every aspect of tyre management."

‘An intense test for tyres at Suzuka’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-ferrar...yres-at-suzuka

Leclerc Exclusive: "That's when I realised I wasn't going to win the F1 title"
    06/10/2022, ‎18‎:‎30
    Author Dieter Rencken
    Co-author Rory Mitchell

In an exclusive interview with RacingNews365, Charles Leclerc opens up about the title fight with Max Verstappen and the moment when he realised that he lost the championship battle. On the eve of the Japanese Grand Prix, where Verstappen can clinch his second title, RacingNews365.com sat down with Leclerc to look back on his season.

The Monagasque says it took a long time before he realised that it would be an impossible task to take the lead back from the Dutchman. "After the Belgian Grand Prix I realised that I was not going to win the world championship," said Leclerc.

"We came back just after the summer break and then of course you think back to the first part of the year, but I still believed in the title! Then we saw that gap in performance between us and Red Bull at Spa, a gap we had never seen in the first part of the year, so I knew it was going to be very difficult."

‘We saw that gap in performance between us and Red Bull at Spa’;

https://racingnews365.com/leclerc-ex...n-the-f1-title

Sainz demands Ferrari 'gather momentum' with strong run of results in final races of 2022
    05 October 2022
    Formula 1.

Carlos Sainz says Ferrari must end the season on a high to set themselves up for a renewed championship fight in 2023. The Scuderia arrive in Japan having outscored Red Bull and Mercedes last Sunday in Singapore, with Charles Leclerc having finished second and Sainz third at Marina Bay.

“Personally, I would like… a bit of gathering momentum before next year,” said Sainz in Singapore. “Because this year, for me, has been characterised by never getting more than two or three consecutive good races, always have a reliability issue, bad pit-stop, a strategy issue that comes into play.”

“When you're about to get in a good run of races, you know, that is so important in Formula 1 to gather a bit of momentum and get the confidence for the team and for myself building.” Sainz added that he would like to stop Red Bull breaking the record for victories in a season, with Max Verstappen two away from his 13th Grand Prix win of 2022 – a record set by Michael Schumacher in 2004 and equalled by Sebastian Vettel in 2013.

‘Sainz demands Ferrari 'gather momentum' ’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...XmTl8F5Do.html

Leclerc confident poor Singapore start won’t be repeated at Suzuka
    2022 Japanese Grand Prix
    Posted on 6th October 2022, 13:22
    Written by Will Wood

Charles Leclerc is confident he will make a better start at this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix after losing the lead off the line in Singapore. The Ferrari driver started on pole position but was beaten to the first corner by Sergio Perez, who started second and went on to win the race. Perez led every lap while Leclerc chased the Red Bull and finished second.

“I think we’ve been pretty strong with starts all year long,” Leclerc said. “Looking back at Singapore, I don’t think we did anything bad. “Myself, Lewis and Fernando all had bad starts going on the patch on the right-hand side. That was a little bit unfortunate. I’m confident that the start will be fine this weekend.

Suzuka’s starting grid is unusual due to the slight downhill gradient the pit straight sits on. Leclerc said it makes little difference to drivers’ starting techniques. “You just need to remember to stay on the brakes until the lights are out, otherwise, you roll and it’s a stupid penalty,” he explained. “But apart from that it doesn’t change much.”

‘Leclerc confident poor Singapore start won’t be repeated’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/06/...ted-at-suzuka/

RACE WEEKEND: FORMULA 1 HONDA JAPANESE GRAND PRIX 2022
    Formula 1.

Get up to speed with everything you need to know about the 2022 Japanese Grand Prix, which takes place over 53 laps of the 5.807-kilometre Suzuka International Racing Course on Sunday, October 9.
    Using the links above you can find the full weekend schedule, including details of practice and qualifying sessions, support races, press conferences and special events, plus the latest news headlines, circuit information and F1 race results.
    You can also find broadcast information, with details of how and where you can watch the race on TV, or download the 2022 Japanese Grand Prix schedule to your mobile device.

‘Get up to speed with everything you need to know’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2022/Japan.html

Alonso fastest in wet first Japanese Grand Prix practice at Suzuka.
    Alonso's 1m:42.268s effort was good enough to secure P1 - the first time he has done so since FP3 at the Canadian Grand Prix in June.
    07/10/2022, ‎05‎:‎00
    Author Jake Nichol

Fernando Alonso was quickest at Suzuka as F1 returned to Japan for the first time since 2019 in a wet first practice session. Alonso's 1m:42.268s effort was good enough to secure P1 - the first time he has done so since FP3 at the Canadian Grand Prix in June.

Ferrari duo Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc slotted in behind, with Alonso's Alpine teammate Esteban Ocon and Kevin Magnussen of Haas rounding out the top five. Max Verstappen was sixth for Red Bull, with Lewis Hamilton 13th for Mercedes.

In the dying embers of the session, Mick Schumacher hit the barriers hard on the exit of Dunlop, destroying the front end of his Haas and preventing him from taking to the track in FP2.

‘Alonso fastest’;

https://racingnews365.com/alonso-fas...tice-at-suzuka

(FP1) First Practice Results – 2022 Japanese Grand Prix
    Suzuka, Japan
    07/10/2022, 05:10
    by Emer Hedderman
    FormulaSpy

Results (Classification):
    1. Fernando Alonso Alpine -1:42.248
    2. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.315
    3. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari +0.386
    4. Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.774
    5. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.010
    6. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +1.114
    7. Mick Schumacher Haas +1.513
    8. Lando Norris McLaren +1.641
    9. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +1.721
    10. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +1.986

‘Japanese Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from a wet first practice ahead of the 2022 F1 World Championship race at Suzuka’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/fp1-first-...and-prix-80167

AS IT HAPPENED: Follow all the action from first practice for the Japanese Grand Prix
    07 October 2022
    Becky Hart [Special Contributor]
    Formula1.

‘As it happened’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...sQisLNHu2.html

Formula 1: Yuki Tsunoda given hero's welcome ahead of Japanese Grand Prix
    Tsunoda is in his second season in Formula One with Alpha Tauri and will make his long-awaited Japanese Grand Prix debut when the race returns from a three-year absence because of the pandemic
    October 07, 2022 09:21:50 IST
    Agence France-Presse

Suzuka: Four years ago Yuki Tsunoda was watching the Japanese Grand Prix from the stands – now giant pictures of his face welcome him to the Suzuka circuit as he prepares to drive in Sunday’s race. Tsunoda is in his second season in Formula One with Alpha Tauri and will make his long-awaited Japanese Grand Prix debut when the race returns from a three-year absence because of the pandemic.

The 22-year-old says he feels no pressure despite three huge pictures of his face adorning the grandstand. Instead he is looking forward to the “extra energy” he says the home fans will bring him. “It’s just hard to imagine I’m driving there because four years ago I was one of the spectators watching these guys here, and now I’m driving in front of the Japanese fans,”

Tsunoda, who has already agreed to stay with Alpha Tauri next season, said Thursday. “I didn’t expect the huge pictures at the grandstand. It feels really supportive and gives me extra energy.” Tsunoda said he has been mobbed on his return to Japan, with fans welcoming him at the airport and waiting outside his hotel.

‘Yuki Tsunoda given hero's welcome ahead of Japanese Grand Prix’;

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/for...-11401471.html

2022 Japanese GP FP1: Tsunoda makes Formula 1 debut at Suzuka
    07 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

AlphaTauri’s Yuki Tsunoda makes his Formula debut at his home race during first practice for the 2022 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka.

‘Tsunoda makes Formula 1 debut’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...405130614.html

Max Verstappen manages only four laps in Japanese Grand Prix first practice before torrential rain turned the Suzuka racetrack into a river... but Fernando Alonso puts in a masterful drive to set the pace
    • Championship leader was taking no chances as the heavens opened in Suzuka
    • Red Bull driver went four laps in first practice before returning to the pit lane
    • Mercedes pair Lewis Hamilton and George Russell managed 10 laps combined
    • That left Alonso, soon to leave Alpine, the star of the show as he set the pace
    Published: 06:13, 7 October 2022
    By Nathan Salt For Mailonline

‘Fernando Alonso puts in a masterful drive’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-practice.html

2022 Japanese GP FP1: Schumacher crashes after ‘huge aquaplaning’
    07 Oct 2022
    Formula 1.

Haas Mick Schumacher experiences “huge aquaplaning” before spinning and crashing into the Suzuka barriers at the end of first practice for the 2022 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix.

“Huge aquaplaning”;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...038482807.html

Mick Schumacher wrecks Haas in Japanese Grand Prix crash as he fights for F1 future.
    Mick Schumacher destroys Haas in Japanese Grand Prix crash as he fights for F1 future Daily and Sunday Express.
    Mick Schumacher's Japanese Grand Prix weekend got off to the worst possible start.
    06:18, Fri, Oct 7, 2022
    By Luke Chillingsworth

Mick Schumacher was involved in another accident as pressure continues to mount on the German over his F1 future. The Haas star lost control in Japanese Grand Prix practice after appearing to clip a puddle in the difficult conditions.

Team boss Guenther Steiner has already criticised Schumacher for two previous accidents this season. The young German cost the team millions of pounds after accidents at the Saudi Arabian and Monaco Grands Prix.

Last month, Steiner confirmed he didn't know whether Schumacher would stay with the team for next season. It is believed the former F2 champion still has a chance to keep his drive with more consistent performances over the last five races.

‘Mick Schumacher wrecks Haas’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...sh-news-latest

Japanese GP: Russell leads Mercedes 1-2 in wet second F1 practice.
    George Russell headed a Mercedes 1-2 in a sodden second practice ahead of Formula 1's 2022 Japanese Grand Prix, while Max Verstappen was eighth tenths adrift and Charles Leclerc struggled.
    Oct 7, 2022, 8:32 AM
    By: Matt Kew
    Motorsport.com

The Silver Arrows duo looked strong on the intermediate compound to lead FP2 and showed few signs of the usual W13 struggle of generating sufficient tyre temperature.

Verstappen, who could win his second title this weekend, was some eight tenths in arrears as Leclerc took a visit to the gravel in his Ferrari to lap only 110th fastest.

With the 3.6-mile circuit still sodden, no one ventured out initially for the 90-minute session - FP2 having been extended by half an hour to theoretically accommodate a Pirelli test run.

‘Mercedes 1-2 in wet’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/j...tice/10380669/

(FP2) Second Practice Results – 2022 Japanese Grand Prix.
    Suzuka, Japan
    07/10/2022, 08:34
    by Emer Hedderman
    FormulaSpy

Results (Classification):
    1. George Russell Mercedes -1:41.935
    2. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.235
    3. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.851
    4. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.899
    5. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.252
    6. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +1.269
    7. Fernando Alonso Alpine +1.598
    8. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +1.798
    9. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.949
    10. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +2.590

‘Japanese Grand Prix – Here are the complete results from the second practice ahead of the 2022 F1 World Championship race at Suzuka’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/fp2-second...and-prix-80170

LIVE COVERAGE: Follow all the action from second practice for the Japanese Grand Prix
    07 October 2022
    Becky Hart [Special Contributor]
    Formula 1.

‘As it happened’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...i8r7yHCpr.html

Russell fastest in practice around soggy Suzuka
    Suzuka, Japan
    07/10/2022, 08:44
    by Emer Hedderman
    FormulaSpy

Japanese Grand Prix – George Russell put in the fastest time of the day as the Mercedes were the best in the rain as F1 made it’s return to Japan. The second practice of the Japanese Grand Prix had been scheduled for an extended 90 minute session to allow for Pirelli to run a test of their 2023 prototype tyres however with a wet circuit the test was postponed but, for some reason, the additional time would stay on the clock.

Russell’s remained as the only driver to set a sub-1:42 lap with a 1:41.935 as the best of the day, Hamilton ended FP2 in P2 just over two tenths slower than his teammate’s time and the only other driver to set a time faster than Fernando Alonso’s best in FP1.

The two Red Bulls slotted in over eight tenths behind the Mercedes with Verstappen just quicker than Sergio Perez. A late fast lap by Magnussen saw him move up into the top ten, the Haas driver slotting into P5 just 0.017 ahead of Sainz.

‘Soggy Suzuka’;

https://formulaspy.com/f1/russell-fa...y-suzuka-80177

Rain forces Pirelli’s planned Japanese GP tyre test to be moved to Mexico weekend
    07 October 2022
    Formula 1.

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli have been forced to reschedule the 2023 dry tyre testing they had arranged for second practice at the Japanese Grand Prix due to poor weather conditions.

In a bid to help the Italian manufacturer with their preparations for next season, teams had agreed to extend Friday’s FP2 session at Suzuka from 60 to 90 minutes, with unmarked development rubber set aside for use.

However, heavy rain overnight and into Friday morning soaked the figure-of-eight circuit, with the inclement weather expected to continue for the remainder of the day, before clearing up as the weekend develops.

‘Pirelli’s tyre test to be moved to Mexico weekend’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Lo6GzT2F6.html

Mick Schumacher wrecks Haas with crash after practice at Japanese GP as F1 hopes fade.
    08:34, 7 OCT 2022
    BY Mark Whiley

Mick Schumacher suffered a bizarre crash after a practice session at the Japan Grand Prix at Suzuka, ruling him out of the second session and denying him crucial running as he looks to secure his F1 future

The chequered flag had been thrown to mark the end of the session and the cars were making their way back to the grid to do practice starts or to return to the pits. However, Schumacher never made it as he suffered a high-speed crash on what should have been a cool-down lap, spinning and slamming into the barriers at high speed, wrecking the front of his car and damaging his floor and chassis.

As a result, Schumacher was ruled out of the second practice session as Haas started rebuilding his car ahead of Saturday’s running. The lack of running will rob the German of both confidence and preparation time ahead of a crucial race as he fights to save his F1 career. The former Formula 2 champion has endured a difficult second season at the sport’s top table, suffering several heavy crashes in the first half of the campaign.

‘Bizarre crash after a practice session’;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1...japan-28175864

Schumacher crash damage “quite frustrating” for Haas – Steiner.
    “Tomorrow morning the car will be there. The guys will have a late evening but they will fix the car again and we have got all the parts, that is not an issue. So it will be there.”
    Posted on 7th October 2022, 9:01
    Written by Keith Collantine
    2022 Japanese Grand Prix

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner said it is “quite frustrating” the team had to change Mick Schumacher’s chassis again following his crash in practice for the Japanese Grand Prix.

“It’s disappointing because we just went out to do a race start so we get data for Sunday,” Steiner told the official F1 channel, “and then on the way in from the race start Mick crashed the car, aquaplaned and crashed into the barrier and damaged the car quite heavily.” The crash meant Schumacher was unable to take part in the second practice session as the team decided to replace his chassis as a precaution. “The whole front end is broken,” Steiner explained. “But we have to change also the chassis because we are not sure if there is a crack in it or not and you cannot take any risk with the chassis.”

“It’s the third time now that we have potential chassis damage,” he acknowledged. “I say potential because we need to X-ray it and see if it is cracked or not. But it is quite frustrating.” Schumacher’s car will be back on track for final practice tomorrow, Steiner confirmed. “Tomorrow morning the car will be there. The guys will have a late evening but they will fix the car again and we have got all the parts, that is not an issue. So it will be there.”

‘Crash damage “quite frustrating” for Haas’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/07/...-haas-steiner/

Mick Schumacher aquaplanes and crashes in Practice One
    07/10/2022, 05:40
    Sky Sports

Haas’ Mick Schumacher aquaplanes and crashes in the barrier after the end of Practice One at the Japanese F1.

‘Aquaplanes’;

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...crashes-in-fp1

Mick Schumacher crashes OUT of first practice for Japanese Grand Prix after collision with the barriers in Suzuka rain as the German’s miserable F1 season hits another low with his Haas future uncertain
    • Mick Schumacher crashed out of the first practice ahead of Japanese Grand Prix
    • The German lost control at the exit of turn 7 and smashed into the barriers
    • Schumacher is out of contract at the end of the season and may not be retained
    Published: 08:47, 7 October 2022
    By Nathan Salt In Sazuka

Mick Schumacher’s miserable season delivered its latest low in Suzuka as the under-pressure German crashed out in first practice.

Schumacher was heading back to the pit-lane after the first session but lost control at the exit of Turn 7, sending him gliding across the gravel and smashing into the barriers.

Pieces of his car were strewn across the gravel but Schumacher was able to get out the car unharmed as he trudged back to the paddock, fuming at his latest mistake.

‘Mick Schumacher’s miserable season delivered its latest low’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rand-Prix.html

Mick Schumacher suffers blow to Haas seat chances with huge smash in Japanese GP practice
    Schumacher is currently driving to save his F1 career with Haas considering their options for next season, and this crash will not have done the German any favours
    08:40, 7 Oct 2022
    By Daniel MoxonF1 Writer

Mick Schumacher suffered a crash at the end of first practice on Friday which could prove to be another nail in the coffin for his Formula 1 prospects. The German has these final five race weekends of the season to save his F1 career, with Haas considering replacing him from next year. With that in mind he needs to produce some good displays, starting this weekend at the Japanese Grand Prix.

But he got off to the worst possible start by crashing his Haas at the end of the first practice session on Friday morning. He span off in the wet conditions, slamming hard into the barrier and causing significant damage to his VF-22. In fact, it was so extensive that Haas were forced to change the chassis of his car for the rest of the weekend. That meant he missed out on FP2, and in turn surrendered some vital track time at a venue where he has never raced in F1.

Schumacher sounded somewhat surprised by what had happened in the moments after the crash, which took place on the cool down lap on the way back to the pits. "Ah, I... just had a huge aquaplaning. Wow," he told his race engineer, before responding again to confirm that he was uninjured.

‘Span off in the wet conditions, slamming hard into the barrier and causing significant damage to his VF-22’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...uzuka-28175945

Steiner frustrated by Schumacher’s Suzuka F1 shunt after FP1
    07/10/2022, 08:14
    by Ashley Hambly
    Motorsport Week

Haas team boss Guenther Steiner admits that he was left frustrated by Mick Schumacher’s crash that occurred after the chequered flag on Friday afternoon in Suzuka.

“In FP3 the car will be there tomorrow morning, the car will be there. The guys will have a late evening, but they will fix the car again and we’ve got all the parts, that’s not an issue.”

‘Guenther Steiner : In FP3 the car will be there’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...ractice-start/

Guenther Steiner fuming at £450k Mick Schumacher crash "like on the motorway".
    Haas boss' anger: "When driving back to the pits, you're not allowed to fly off... the water was already there on the previous lap," said Steiner.
    15:50, 7 Oct 2022
    By Daniel Moxon
    F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Schumacher's crash at the end of the first practice session at Suzuka on Friday was not his first costly smash of the year – and did little to boost his chances of keeping his Haas seat. Guenther Steiner: "The guys will have a late evening, but they will fix the car again and we've got all the parts, that's not an issue. So it will be there. It's the third time now [Schumacher has crashed in 2022]. The potential damage is only potential because we need to X-ray it and see if it's cracked enough – but it is quite, as you say, frustrating."

In a separate interview with Auto Motor und Sport, the Haas boss' anger was perhaps more clear as he revealed the likely cost of fixing all the damage caused in what he felt was an avoidable incident. "When driving back to the pits, you're not allowed to fly off... the water was already there on the previous lap," said Steiner.

"It was like aquaplaning on the motorway. The car floated up at the front and spun in one direction at the back. It was already standing sideways." With damage to the front wheel suspension on both sides, the wheel carriers, the underbody, the nose and the front wing, he estimated the cost of the fix to be around "half a million dollars".

“The guys will have a late evening”;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...acher-28180880

Steiner: Another half a million euros of scrap!
    No surprise then that Steiner did not mince his words when he told F1TV: “Another half a million euros of scrap! That simply mustn’t happen on the last lap back to the pits.
    7 October, 2022
    Paul Velasco

Mick Schmacher’s future in Formula 1 took a hard knock after he crashed heavily in FP1, of the 2022 Japanese Grand Prix, ensuring a hefty repair job and big bucks bill for Haas, which infuriated team boss Guenther Steiner.

Conditions were tricky at Suzuka today – a venue where Mick’s father F1 legend Michael Schumacher won a record six times – especially for a driver who had never driven at Suzuka. And as was the case of young Schumacher.

Late into FP1, the Haas aquaplaned viciously giving its driver little chance as it speared the wall, breaking lots of bits and pieces at the front. “The whole front is broken, but we also have to change the whole chassis because we are not sure if there is a crack in it or not and you cannot take any risks with the chassis. It’s better to be 100% safe that the car is in good shape,” added Steiner.

‘Another half a million euros of scrap!’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/10...-crash-suzuka/

Steiner insists Schumacher crash "self-inflicted"
    Friday 7 October 2022 14:05 - Updated: 14:12
    Ewan Gale

Guenther Steiner has insisted Mick Schumacher's end-of-FP1 crash at the Japanese Grand Prix was "self-inflicted". The 23-year-old put the crash down to a lack of visibility, tyre temperatures and the aquaplaning, though team principal Steiner was less forgiving.

"There is nothing good in that crash," said Steiner. On whether he had spoken to his driver over the incident, Steiner replied: "Less is more, I didn't speak with him but less is more.”

"At some stage, in the spray you can't see but there was water before. I wouldn't doubt a driver saying how difficult it is but in the end, it is self-inflicted. There was water, we all know that."

‘Less is more’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/93...umacher-crash/

Steiner: Schumacher’s Suzuka FP1 crash ‘self-inflicted’
    07/10/2022, 13:49
    • Hamilton Lyndon-Griffiths
    Read Motorsport

Mick Schumacher’s crash that ruled him out from taking part in second practice for this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix was “self-inflicted”, says Haas Formula 1 boss Gunther Steiner. After setting the seventh-fastest time in a rain-soaked FP1 at Suzuka, Schumacher crashed on his in-lap back to the pits at the Dunlop Curve.

The damage was severe enough to force the German to sit out the afternoon session while the team changed the chassis on his VF-22.

Schumacher suffered two costly crashes in Saudi Arabia and Monaco earlier in the year that left him feeling the wrath of the team, as he fights to retain his seat alongside team-mate Kevin Magnussen for 2023.

‘Self-inflicted’;

https://readmotorsport.com/2022/10/0...elf-inflicted/

‘Little aquaplane moment’ eliminated Mick Schumacher from Friday practice
    Friday 7th October 2022 1:15 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse

Mick Schumacher said a “little aquaplane moment” was the cause of his FP1 crash that meant his Friday at the Japanese Grand Prix went no further. Keeping it short and sweet when explaining to the media what happened, Schumacher said: “It was quite rainy, had a little aquaplane moment.” Schumacher admitted he and Haas now have more work to do tomorrow, but he is confident about the pace in the VF-22.

His team-mate Kevin Magnussen ended both FP1 and FP2 up in P5, while Schumacher was P7 at the end of the first practice session. “Of course it’s not amazing, we lost some time, especially in the FP2 session because we didn’t get to drive, mainly for safety reasons and the chassis,” said Schumacher.

“So now we’ve got to do more jobs tomorrow, but I think the track is great, the car felt great today, so I’m sure we will be hopefully in a good position and tomorrow should be dry, so we’ll see what we can do there.”

‘Little aquaplane moment’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mick-s...1-crash-japan/