Page 31 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    How much should Miami F1 defeat worry Ferrari? Our verdict.
    Max Verstappen has now taken 27 points out of Formula 1 title rival Charles Leclerc’s championship lead in the last two grands prix.
    8th May 2022,23:56
    The Race.

So while Ferrari’s Miami defeat was ultimately only a narrow one, it would still have hurt – particularly because Verstappen came through from behind an all-Ferrari front row to win, and having had a very messy practice build-up. How worried should Ferrari be? Here are our writers’ thoughts:

GLENN FREEMAN: RED BULL’S STRAIGHTLINE SPEED IS WINNING IT

EDD STRAW: VERSTAPPEN IS BECOMING A VERY MARGINAL FAVOURITE

GARY ANDERSON: RED BULL’S APPROACH HAS BIG RACE DAY BENEFITS

SCOTT MITCHELL: FERRARI’S DEVELOPMENT PACE IS KEY NOW

JOSH SUTTILL: WINNING AMID SUCH MESS BODES WELL FOR VERSTAPPEN

‘The Verdict’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-m...i-our-verdict/

Leclerc disappointed that Ferrari lacked pace to fight Verstappen in Miami
    08 May 2022
    Formula 1.

Charles Leclerc said Red Bull’s superior tyre management during the Miami Grand Prix meant they were too quick for Ferrari as the Monegasque surrendered victory to title rival Max Verstappen.

“Yes, I’m disappointed,” said Leclerc after the race. “We are very strong in terms of tyre warm up so at the beginning of every run we are strong. But after four, five laps they [Red Bull] seem to stabilise the tyres in a better window and there they are just quicker than us and it’s very difficult for us to do anything.”

“But it’s like this and we need to work on that. It’s pretty clear what’s going on and hopefully we’ll get better at it as quick as possible. It is going to be a long championship,” said Leclerc. “It seems that they had the upper hand for two weekends now in race pace especially, and we need to take back the advantage as soon as possible.”

‘Long Championship’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...SesyozxJY.html

F1 recap: What we learned at Miami GP 2022, from Ferrari money worries to Max Verstappen’s reliability
    Max Verstappen looks like the man to beat when Red Bull can give him a car that gets to the finish while Ferrari say they will have to be disciplined over spending on upgrades
    May 9, 2022 11:38 am
    By Kevin Garside
    Chief Sports Correspondent

Max Verstappen took victory in the inaugural Miami Grand Prix, a race held in sweltering conditions that only really came alive courtesy of a late safety car. But what did we learn from F1’s first trip to Florida?

The mind games have started Unlike Red Bull, Ferrari’s first big upgrade of the season is scheduled for Barcelona. So far, the team in red have stuck largely with the car that started the season, and team principal Mattia Binotto expressed surprise at Red Bull’s ability to upgrade by the race under new financial constraints.

“If there is a concern it is how much they are developing considering the budget cap,” Binotto said. “But as well as a concern it is maybe a hope because at some stage they will need to stop, otherwise I will not understand how they will do that. We do not have the money to develop every race.”

‘Ferrari money worries’;

https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-on...26?ITO=newsnow

Leclerc: Upgrades important, we need to keep pushing
    9 May, 2022
    Jad Mallak

Charles Leclerc had to settle for second place at the 2022 Miami Grand Prix, but stressed that Ferrari should start updating their F1-75, claiming upgraded will be important.

“It was a very difficult race physically,” Leclerc said after the race. “We struggled quite a bit on the medium tyres in the first stint and got overtaken. It made our race a bit more difficult from that moment onwards. On the hard we were very competitive and towards the end I thought I could get Max at one point but today they had the advantage in terms of pace.”

“We need to keep pushing,” the 24-year-old insisted. “Upgrades will be important and I hope now we can do a step up from the next race on wards. It has been an exciting beginning to the season and that’s what we like to see.”

‘Keep Pushing’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/05...-keep-pushing/

Sainz feels Ferrari 'got what we deserved' with Miami result
    9th May 2022, ‎08‎:‎30
    Author Tom Leach
    Co-author Mike Seymour

Carlos Sainz believes Ferrari got the result they deserved at the Miami Grand Prix, on a weekend that Red Bull's Max Verstappen celebrated victory at the Hard Rock Stadium.

"It wasn't easy at all," admitted Sainz after the race. "It's been a tough race with the tyres, with the heat. The car was moving and sliding a lot, but in the end, we got what we deserved.”

"It was a decent P3, we can build up from here. I want more, but it was not bad."

‘Building from here’;

https://racingnews365.com/sainz-feel...erved-in-miami

Ferrari defend decision not to pit Leclerc and Sainz under Safety Car
    Charles Leclerc finished second behind Max Verstappen at the 2022 Miami Grand Prix.
    9 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Ferrari have affirmed that it was not worth pitting onto a fresh set of tyres during the late Safety Car at the Miami Grand Prix. Max Verstappen was comfortably leading Charles Leclerc heading into the closing stages of the race when the Safety Car was deployed following a crash between Pierre Gasly and Lando Norris, allowing the Monegasque to put pressure on the reigning champion.

However, he had done so on old Hards, leaving question marks as to why Ferrari opted to keep their two drivers out on track. Team Principal Mattia Binotto thought it best to stay out on track.

“We believe that, in terms of format, our used tyres would have been stronger to a new one,” he said. “So we decided simply to stay out because we believe that was the best chance for us to have a good warm up and try to attack in those first laps, which is what happened.”

‘Not Worth Pitting’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-d...er-safety-car/

Ferrari defends virtual safety car pit strategy
    NEWS STORY
    09/05/2022

At the precise moment the virtual safety car was deployed in the wake of Lando Norris' clash with Pierre Gasly, race leader Max Verstappen had just passed the pit lane entrance. However, the Ferraris behind hadn't. Speaking after the race, Christian Horner admitted that Ferrari's decision not to pit one or both of its drivers and switch them to softs for the final stint probably cost the Maranello outfit the race.

"We got lucky," he told Sky Sports. "Max had crossed the pit line while it was a VSC. Then your worst nightmare... it went full Safety Car and that gives Leclerc and Sainz a free stop.”

“Thankfully they missed it with both of their cars," her continued, "so we were effectively still on the same strategy, or they would have had a significant advantage. We were let off the hook by Ferrari just through timing," he admitted. "They could have put a soft on and they had a free stop.”

‘Free Stop Lost’;

https://www.pitpass.com/72454/Ferrar...r-pit-strategy

F1 news: Charles Leclerc disappointed Red Bull’s tyre management gave Max Verstappen edge in Miami Grand Prix
    May 9, 2022 8:46 am
    By Katherine Lucas

“We are very strong in terms of tyre warm up so at the beginning of every run we are strong,” Leclerc said. “But after four, five laps they [Red Bull] seem to stabilise the tyres in a better window and there they are just quicker than us and it’s very difficult for us to do anything.

“But it’s like this and we need to work on that. It’s pretty clear what’s going on and hopefully we’ll get better at it as quick as possible.”

Ferrari’s problems were small fry compared to those of Mercedes, with Lewis Hamilton left furious when his race engineer asked him to make a vital call on whether to take new tyres while behind the safety car.

‘Tyre Management Disappointment’;

https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-on...94?ITO=newsnow

Ferrari hopes Red Bull blowing upgrade budget
    MAY 9, 2022
    Grand Prix.

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto hopes Red Bull's latest progress is a result of the energy drink owned team pushing hard with car development early in 2022.

"In the last two races Red Bull have been faster by a couple of tenths," he told Sky Italia.

"We have to develop and work now, but we hope Red Bull has spent a lot already. Let's hope they have less money than us.

‘Ferrari Hoping’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/ferra...de-budget.html

Bottas was watching Russell and Hamilton battle before costly mistake.
    Valtteri Bottas says that he was watching the battle between George Russell and Lewis Hamilton unfold in his mirrors just before he made a costly mistake in the latter stages of the Miami Grand Prix.
    10th May 2022, ‎13‎:‎45
    Author Anna Francis
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

With Russell getting closer, Bottas was busy keeping an eye on what was going on behind in his mirrors. "As he was overtaking Lewis, I was kind of following them in the mirrors, because they were getting pretty close," he explained.

"[I was checking in case] I need to close the door or something, and I just brake a fraction too late. "I missed the apex in the last corner, just a tiny bit, and then I got to the dirty tarmac, and it felt awkward because I was going so slowly. [The car was] understeering, and I just couldn't turn the car, and I hit the wall.

"Luckily, I didn't break anything, [and] didn't have a puncture."

‘Watching the battle unfold in the mirrors’;

https://racingnews365.com/bottas-was...costly-mistake

Valtteri Bottas: P5 in Miami GP 'would have been possible' without Safety Car
    08 May 2022

Valtteri Bottas says that "without the Safety Car P5 would have been possible," as the Finn reflects on Alfa Romeo's positive pace and his P7 finish in the 2022 Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix at the Miami International Autodrome.

‘P5 Possible’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...369821070.html

Bottas distracted by Mercedes duel: 'I braked a fraction too late'
    09/05/2022 at 08:27
    Phillip van Osten

With ten laps to go, as he monitored his lead over the battling Mercedes duo, the Finn overshot his braking at Turn 17, put a wheel outside the racing line and understeered off course. "I was kind of following them in the mirrors as they were getting pretty close, [whether] I needed to close the door or something.”

"I braked a fraction too late, mixed the apex in the corner a tiny bit, then I got to the dirty tarmac and felt awkward as I was going so slowly, understeering, hit the wall, luckily didn’t break anything or get a puncture."

By the time Bottas had collected himself, his Mercedes rivals had left him in the dust in seventh position. The Alfa charger lamented the small mistake that potentially deprived him of a second consecutive top-five finish, but also felt encouraged by his car's pace. "I think today, without the Safety Car, P5 should have been possible. So, we're strong.”

‘Distraction, braked too late’;

https://f1i.com/news/440866-bottas-d...-too-late.html

Miami ‘payback’ is Bottas and Alfa’s best yet
    May 8 2022
    By Matt Beer

The novelty of seeing Valtteri Bottas’s Alfa Romeo lining up ahead of his former employer Mercedes on 2022 Formula 1 grids isn’t quite wearing off yet.

And his Miami Grand Prix qualifying effort was the most impressive so far – not because he’s in front of erstwhile team-mate Lewis Hamilton on row three, but because of the odds against which his fifth place was achieved.

Bottas was the first to find out how much the Miami street track can bite when he spun into the wall on his 14th lap of Friday practice and had to miss the rest of the day’s running at the tricky new track as a result. Damage to the exhaust and consequently the Ferrari engine’s turbocharger meant Alfa Romeo quickly knew it would have too much to do in the two hours between Friday sessions.

‘Impressive Valtteri Bottas’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/miami...lfas-best-yet/

Bottas’s new boss thinks his Mercedes reputation was deceptive
    May 6 2022
    By Scott Mitchell

Valtteri Bottas’s reputation “suffered” in the shadow of Lewis Hamilton and he is underrated as a Formula 1 driver, reckons Alfa Romeo team boss Frederic Vasseur.

Asked by The Race if he thinks Bottas is underrated, Vasseur said: “I think so. I think that he suffered a little bit about this. “The fact is if you have a look on the gap between Valtteri and Lewis in qualifying it was less than 0.2%.”

Switching to Alfa Romeo to lead its recovery in F1’s midfield has made Bottas a focal point for the first time. His typically strong qualifying form has been supported by good race performances as well, while off-track he has been praised for the effort he has made to help rookie team-mate Zhou Guanyu and motivate the team.

‘Mercedes Reputation Deceptive’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/botta...was-deceptive/

2022 Miami Grand Prix - Sunday
    May 9th, 2022
    Alfa Romeo F1 Team ORLEN

Alfa Romeo F1 Team ORLEN brought home another strong points finish in the inaugural Miami Grand Prix as Valtteri Bottas finished in seventh place. Unfortunately, Zhou Guanyu’s race came to a premature end with a technical issue when he was making good progress towards the points.

The six points gained cement the team’s fifth place in the constructors’ championship as we climb to 31 points from the first five races of the season.

Frédéric Vasseur, Team Principal: “It shows how much progress we have made this year that we’re actually a bit disappointed with P7 – which is a really good result in itself. We were really strong out there today and we ran most of the race comfortably in P5, just behind the two Red Bulls and Ferraris: the timing of the Safety Car really affected us, nullifying Valtteri’s advantage over the two Mercedeses. Still, bringing home six points is a positive result and another gain for our championship standings, but we know we can improve even more.

‘Alfa Romeo F1 Team UPBEAT’;

https://www.sauber-group.com/motorsp...d-prix-sunday/

'I was too aggressive' admits Alonso after taking two penalties – as Ocon calls Miami ‘the hardest race’ of his life.
    Ocon managed to score points in P8 and, after starting 18th due to a crash in FP3 that saw him miss qualifying.
    10 May 2022
    Formula 1.

Fernando Alonso’s scoreless streak has now stretched to four races after he accrued two penalties in the Miami Grand Prix, the Spaniard admitting that he was at fault for a clash with Pierre Gasly – while Esteban Ocon was left pleased with a comeback from P18 to P8.

Esteban Ocon: “Extremely pleased – I think it was more than a mountain to climb today,” he said. “You know, from strategy calls to tyre management to all the radio chat we had, it was perfectly executed today. And yes, big shoutout to the guys for building my car overnight; there was a lot of work behind the scenes and today we made it. So we can be proud.”

“Pace of the car felt good. Especially at the end of the hard on the first stint we were catching most of the cars and the first of the other cars with the old tyres. So that was really satisfying at the time,” he explained. Alpine head to Spain – Alonso’s home race – with 26 points as they sit sixth in the championship behind Alfa Romeo and McLaren.

‘Good Pace’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...dCTa1ryrF.html

Esteban Ocon 'extremely pleased' to score points in 'perfectly executed' race.
    08 May 2022

Esteban Ocon is "extremely pleased" to have scored points with a P8 finish in the 2022 Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix, and praised his Alpine team for a "perfectly executed" race strategy at the Miami International Autodrome.

‘Perfectly Executed Race’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...014791738.html

Ocon’s physical condition was “50%” in race after 51G practice crash
    RaceFans Round-up
    Posted on 9th May 2022, 0:5
    Written by Hazel Southwell

Ocon was unable to qualify for the Miami Grand Prix after heavily damaging his car during a final practice crash into the concrete barrier at turn 14. He recovered to eighth in the race, which he described as being “a victory for us. I do think there was clearly a mountain to climb for all of us. But I think from the strategy to the radio calls, the tyre management, everything was perfect today.”

He admitted he felt in poor shape after his crash, which registered an impact of 51G. “To end up in the points being 50% physically as well for me feels like a win.”

‘Feels Like a Win’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/09/...nd-up-09-05-5/

Ocon didn't enjoy racing at '50 per cent physically' in Miami
    10/05/2022 at 09:34
    Phillip van Osten

Alpine's crews were unable to build up a new chassis in time for qualifying but Ocon was authorized to start Sunday's race from the back row of the grid.

"It is a different challenge, for sure," he said after his grueling drive. "It can go wrong, it can go right. Today it went right, but it's not very enjoyable to race being 50 per cent physically. It's as hard as Singapore here in terms of humidity and heat."

Ocon was first and foremost grateful to his Alpine crews for tirelessly working to supply him with an impeccable car after his FP3 crash. "What a race! A big thank you to the team for all the hard work overnight putting back together what was a pretty broken car after that big shunt in practice on Saturday," he said. "They are the real stars this weekend.”

‘Tirelessly Working Rebuild’;

https://f1i.com/news/440993-ocon-did...-in-miami.html

Ocon tried to defy team orders in Miami Grand Prix
    Date published: May 10 2022 - Michelle Foster

Told by Alpine to “slow down” to build a gap to help his penalised team-mate, Esteban Ocon told the team that he “can’t do it” as he didn’t want to risk losing positions himself. The Spaniard, though, was facing a five-second penalty for his dive-bomb on Pierre Gasly and therefore needed his team-mate to hold up the Williams to get him that five-second of breathing room.

Ocon initially defied the team, saying it was “not possible”.
    Engineer: We need a margin of seconds for Fernando, who has a penalty, slow down the cars behind, please. Do it now, please do it now.
    Ocon: I can’t do it!
    Engineer: Esteban, stop the cars.
    Ocon: They’re going to overtake me if I do that! I can’t let myself down, guys, it’s not possible, I say it.

Whether he did eventually help or Alonso found a burst of speed, the Spaniard crossed the line 5.237s ahead of Albon meaning he only lost one position, P8, to his own team-mate.

‘Defying Team Orders’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/esteba...-orders-miami/

Albon’s red hair superstition pays off with P9 in Miami.
    “No upgrades are ever needed, you just need to dye your hair!” he told Sky Sports F1.
    Date published: May 8 2022 - Sam Cooper

Alex Albon’s red hair superstition has paid off after he scored points for the second time this season at the Miami GP. The Williams driver arrived at the Miami circuit sporting a new red hairstyle and later explained that the peculiar choice of colour had become a superstition for him.

Albon went on to reveal a pact between himself and the team that could end with the whole garage having red hair. “Before the weekend started, we did say that if I score points this weekend, the whole team are going to dye their hair red,” he said.

“I just went to the engineering room and they’re all starting to backtrack their comments. They’re all like ‘oh no it was a podium’ and I’m like ‘no it wasn’t!'”

‘Red Hair Upgrades’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alex-a...mi-grand-prix/

“Leaving Miami with more points is really special” – Alex Albon
    By Nick Golding
    May 10, 2022

Albon was very happy with his second points finish of the season after finding “the pace that I knew we had”.

“Today we found the pace that I knew we had all weekend. We had a tough Qualifying yesterday which meant we were slightly out of position with a well-performing car, so overtaking was possible and we made good progress.”

“We had a little bit of fortune with some of the cars ahead of us getting caught up in incidents, but the important thing is that we were in a position to make the most of those opportunities when they came. The team did a great job today, especially with the strategy, and so leaving Miami with more points is really special.”

‘Points Really Special’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...al-alex-albon/

Strategy, not luck, earned Williams’ points finishes – Albon
    RaceFans Round-up
    Posted on 11th May 2022, 0:01
    Written by Keith Collantine

In the round-up: Alex Albon says Williams’ opportunities to score points are down to the team’s strategy and not to luck.

After scoring a ninth-place finish in the Miami Grand Prix, thanks partly to Fernando Alonso’s penalty, Albon said his points-scoring finishes. “I don’t even call it luck” that was producing Williams’ good results.

“I think we were, again, optimistic on strategy and stayed out when everyone else pitted,” Albon explained. “We took our chances like we always keep doing and that’s just putting us in situations where we’re looking at points.”

‘Williams Strategy’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/11/...nd-up-11-05-5/

Lucky red hair ‘here to stay’ jokes Albon after snaring P9 in Miami Grand Prix
    10 May 2022
    Formula 1.

Alex Albon wound up with an eye-catching mop of red hair after visiting an orphanage in Thailand ahead of the Australian Grand Prix. Scoring his first point of the season for Williams in Melbourne, he decided to stick with the change of look – and after narrowly missing out with P11 in Imola, it brought him luck once again in Miami, as he came home a brilliant ninth.

“To be honest, qualifying was just the anomaly. Obviously, we understood the car all weekend, we just didn’t understand the car in qualifying, so we will look back at that and figure out what went wrong,” he said.

But whatever the cause of his lowly qualifying slot, Albon more than atoned on race day. After working his way up the order from P18, he was running P12 when Sebastian Vettel and Mick Schumacher collided, promoting him into the points come the chequered flag.

‘Snaring P9’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ttqqwyZd9.html

Albon won't let Williams crews backtrack on points bet
    10/05/2022 at 08:18
    Phillip van Osten

Alex Albon scored in Miami his second top-ten finish of the season, an impressive result that involved a pledge by his Williams crews that he has every intention of seeing them uphold. Ahead of last month's Australian Grand Prix, Albon dyed his hair red in solidarity with a group of children from an orphanage he had visited in Thailand who were supporters of Liverpool football club and who had painted their hair red.

After finishing just outside the points at Imola, Albon added more red dye for Miami while his crews committed to also painting their hair red if he succeeded in scoring a top-ten finish in Florida.

"We did say that if I scored points this weekend the whole team were going to dye their hair red. I just went to the engineering room and they’re all starting to backtrack their comments like: Ah no, it was a podium’."

‘No Backtracking’;

https://f1i.com/news/440986-albon-wo...oints-bet.html

The dye is cast for Albon at Williams
    NEWS STORY
    10/05/2022

While others continue to struggle, Alex Albon has discovered the perfect way to improve his competitiveness... without the need for costly upgrades that break the budget.

"We got it dyed before Melbourne and we finished tenth and then as the dye faded away, we finished 11th In Imola. So it started to affect the performance," he added. "So, we re-dyed it, hoping for more points."

However, racing in the intense Miami heat was not without its problems. "My balaclava is like soaking red, it's bright red," he revealed. "All the dye has leaked. It looks like I've been beheaded...

P9: The Dye is Cast’;

https://www.pitpass.com/72462/The-dy...on-at-Williams

Williams’s Miami GP ‘anomaly’ wasn’t its lucky points haul
    18 hours ago
    By Edd Straw

“If you look at the whole weekend, I’d say this is much less surprising than Melbourne,” said Albon. “We were in the top 10 for two out of three practice sessions and we were genuinely there – it wasn’t low fuel or anything like that.”

“So to get P10 [on the road] is what I felt we should have been all weekend. “Of course, we lucked into a few collisions with the cars in front but we were right behind them and catching as well. It was a strong weekend for us.”

“The anomaly is qualifying and we need to understand where to get the performance back because we got it in Bahrain [reaching Q2] and we just lost our footing a little bit. We had the brake issue in Imola, fuel issue in Melbourne and here we just couldn’t switch the tyres on. So it’s looking very positive.”

‘Strong Weekend’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/willi...y-points-haul/

Driver debrief by Aramco: Miami Grand Prix.
    Lance Stroll finished 10th at the inaugural Miami Grand Prix to score one point for Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One™ Team.
    Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One™ Team.

Lance fought from the pitlane to gain nine positions en route to his top-10 finish while a late collision forced team-mate Sebastian Vettel to retire.

After securing 10th on the grid in Saturday's qualifying session, a pre-race fuel temperature issue forced Lance to start the Grand Prix from the pitlane.

By starting on the Hard tyre, the Canadian took advantage of the most durable compound to run long into the race and rise to a high of 10th position in the pit phase.

‘Top 10 finisher Lance Stroll’;

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/...ami-grand-prix

Stroll promoted to 10th after Alonso receives second five-second time penalty
    2022 Miami Grand Prix
    Posted on 8th May 2022, 22:43

After the race Alonso was given a second five-second time penalty. The stewards ruled he “left the track at turn 14 and gained a lasting advantage.” He was given a total of three points for the two incidents.

The additional penalty dropped Alonso from ninth place to 11th. Lance Stroll, who originally finished 12th, was therefore promoted to the final points position, Daniel Ricciardo also having been penalised.

‘P10: Lance Stroll’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/08/...-time-penalty/

Lance Stroll frustrated with result after 'reasonable pace' in Miami
    08 May 2022

Aston Martin's Lance Stroll found the inaugural Miami Grand Prix "frustrating" after the Canadian was forced to start in the pit lane at the Miami International Autodrome and suffered contact on the race restart.

‘Frustration’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...733054324.html

Vettel branded ‘Superman Seb’ amid Hamilton’s row with FIA
    Sebastian Vettel and Sir Lewis Hamilton have both spoken out against Niels Wittich's clampdown on jewellery in Formula 1.
    10 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Sebastian Vettel has earned himself a new nickname from Formula 1 fans after his defiance of the reinforcement of the fireproof regulation.

Race Director Niels Wittich has put his foot down on the safety issue this weekend in Miami, emphasising that the drivers must wear the appropriate clothing while in the cockpit. “Drivers and co-drivers participating in the championship listed below [Formula 1] must wear overalls as well as gloves, long underwear, a balaclava, socks and shoes homologated to the FIIA 8856-2018 standard,” he said in his notes, before telling the drivers of the detrimental impact wearing metallic artefacts in the car can have.

In protest of the clampdown, Vettel donned a pair of underpants over the top of his overalls ahead of Friday practice in Florida, prompting Motorsport.com to compare him to superman.

‘Is it a bird, is it a plane? NO, it is ‘Superman Seb’. ‘

https://formula1news.co.uk/vettel-br...-row-with-fia/

VETTEL ON CRASH WITH SCHUMACHER: “WE LOST A GOOD OPPORTUNITY”
    10th May 2022, 07:42
    Dalila Zanardo

The crash between the two Germans, which happened while they were fighting for P9, was less than ideal, as admitted by Sebastian Vettel post-race and as reported by Formula 1: “I didn’t expect it, let’s put it that way. Obviously, a shame that we made contact and both of us out of the race, out of the points. That’s a shame.”

Vettel agreed with the stewards in considering the contact an unfortunate racing incident, while being sympathetic to Schumacher: “I’m disappointed for Mick and myself obviously that the two of us lost a good opportunity to score points today. I don’t know, I did not expect him, I need to have a look again. When I saw him, it was obviously too late, so we made contact.”

‘Opportunity Lost’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/ve.../?nowprocket=1

Tsunoda says lack of pace was ‘so frustrating’ as he drops out of points in Miami.
    AlphaTauri’s Yuki Tsunoda couldn’t add a second consecutive points finish to his tally after a tough Miami Grand Prix, in which he started ninth but finished a disappointing 12th.
    12 May 2022
    Formula 1.

“From Lap 1, just no grip at all,” said Tsunoda after the race. “I just really struggled to just keep up the pace and I got overtaken quite a lot. After that, even in free air, struggled to increase my own pace, just no pace at all today.

“It’s the complete opposite to last time [at Imola], so frustrating – so it is what it is, we have to keep moving forward.”

The team’s Technical Director Jody Egginton added that Tsunoda’s soft-tyred stint was his strongest, and the team need to analyse why the 22-year-old – his birthday landing on the Wednesday after the Grand Prix – couldn’t find his feet on mediums or hards.

‘Frustrating’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tKJE1V75g.html

Yuki Tsunoda: We had no grip and 'no pace today'
    08 May 2022

AlphaTauri's Yuki Tsunoda "struggled to keep up the pace" from the beginning to the end of the 2022 Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix.

‘No Grip, No Pace’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...036873826.html

Gasly: Alonso collision led to Norris accident
    Date published: May 9 2022
    Michelle Foster

Pierre Gasly says contact with Fernando Alonso, which damaged his AT03, was the catalyst for his accident with Lando Norris a lap later. Both Gasly and Norris retired from the Miami Grand Prix after crashing on lap 41 of the 57-lap race.

What led to that crash, though, started one lap earlier. Gasly had been hit by the Alpine of Alonso as the Spaniard tried to dive up the inside of Turn 1, causing contact.

Although his car didn’t feel right, the Frenchman tried to stay out to see if it was just a momentary thing but, heading back to the pits on the next lap having conceded that it was game over, he moved over to allow cars through. Back on track to take the corner, he was clipped by Norris with the McLaren crashing into the wall.

‘Game Over’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/pierre...rris-accident/

Alonso offers apology for 'destroying' Gasly's Miami GP
    Tuesday 10 May 2022 16:00
    Ewan Gale

The two-time F1 world champion was aiming to make up for lost time at his pit stop when making a move on Gasly, a manoeuvre described by the Frenchman as a 'divebomb'.

The resultant damage led to Gasly slowing and clashing with Lando Norris' McLaren, with both drivers retiring and triggering a late safety car period. "It was my mistake, I broke too late," conceded Alonso.

"We were ready to give back the position but he was in the pits at that time so I have to pay those five seconds and then the safety car was right and perfect for the hard [tyre] starters once again. So we lost a couple of places there."

‘Divebomb Apology’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/82...ly-s-miami-gp/

Gasly: Norris came and clipped my front left tyre
    10 May, 2022
    Jad Mallak

Pierre Gasly offered his view of what went down between him and Lando Norris at the 2022 Miami Grand Prix, blaming the Briton for clipping his front left tyre.

“I was trying to turn right to give room, and then Norris came and clipped my front left tyre,” he claimed. Gasly revealed that Norris apologized for the incident: “We spoke, he came to apologise, but unfortunately it’s not going to give us back the points.

“It’s a big shame,” he went on. “I’m extremely disappointed because it was a great afternoon. We had a brilliant start, passing Lewis [Hamilton] into Turn 1, running in P7 after that.”

‘Not going to give us back the points’;

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/05...ont-left-tyre/

Ricciardo compares Miami asphalt to driving on his Australian farm.
    Lewis Hamilton compared some sections of the Miami International Autodrome to a B&Q car park, but Daniel Ricciardo says it reminded him of his outback farm, due to the lack of grip.
    ‎10‎ ‎May‎ ‎07‎:‎50
    Author Tom Leach
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

Ricciardo admitted that F1 stars may come across as "spoiled" when complaining that the sport's newest venue proved difficult to drive on, but did concede to having struggled to fight due to the nature of the surface.

When asked if the surface was acceptable for F1, Ricciardo told select members of the media, including RacingNews365.com: "I want to say no, but, obviously, that could just be us being too spoiled.

"But let's say, for what we have been used to - let's just put it like that - it's certainly a little more outback spec.

‘Outback Spec Australian Farm Track’;

https://racingnews365.com/ricciardo-...ustralian-farm

Miami GP track "turning into crap" during race - Norris
    Wednesday 11 May 2022 09:25
    Ewan Gale

Lando Norris has revealed the Miami Grand Prix track surface was "turning into crap" throughout the inaugural running of the Florida event.

Asked about whether the racing spectacle was better than expected given the track conditions, Norris replied: "It was tricky. "Honestly, I think it is a good race track. It is just the track surface is not what it needs to be. It is not at the level it needs to be for Formula 1.

"We come here, everyone expects a great race and we just can't do it because of the surface we are racing on. You see every time someone goes a little bit wide, you lose two seconds. I think also the track is tearing up and literally turning into crap so we have to start using all these kerbs because if you stay on it, it is just like oil or something. “

‘Turning into crap’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/82...g-race-norris/

Why McLaren left Ricciardo ‘dehydrated’ in Miami
    Date published: May 13 2022 - Jon Wilde

Daniel Ricciardo has revealed he was left thirsty during an energy-sapping Miami Grand Prix in order for McLaren to save weight. A drinks bottle is a staple requirement in every race but especially one as taxing as Miami – and Ricciardo, who finished 13th, says his fluid had not been at full capacity as McLaren tried to limit the weight of his car.

Asked if the conditions had been comparable to races such as Singapore and Malaysia, Ricciardo told Motorsport.com: “Yeah, it’s got that heat factor to it. It’s tough as well because everyone’s obviously fighting for that last bit of weight.

“So we don’t have the luxury of putting three litres in the drink system. So we have a little bit, and it’s never enough fluid. So naturally you’re gonna get dehydrated. And yeah, this heat was pretty real.

‘Saving Weight’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel...ydrated-miami/

Daniel Ricciardo's wild hotel night: F1 star says he didn't just trash his room - 'I trashed the whole floor' - as teammate Lando Norris reveals how he got chucked out of the Hilton pool.
    By Stirling Taylor For Daily Mail Australia
    Published: 01:57, 13 May 2022

The Aussie McLaren star shared antics of his hotel nights with teammate Lance Norris in a panel discussion at the Hilton x McLaren party before last weekend's Miami Grand Prix.

'We got kicked out of the pool. We were being naughty in the pool and everyone, not just me, got kicked out ... we went up to the rooms and had a nice party,' Norris said. 'I apologise if there were any disturbed people ... it was good fun.'

Ricciardo thanked Hilton for their loyalty to McLaren, with the hotel chain putting the team's drivers up since 2005.

‘Wild build up to Miami Grand Prix’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...oor-hotel.html

No satisfaction in McLaren being quickest Mercedes-powered team at Imola – Seidl
    2022 F1 season
    Posted on 28th April 2022, 13:31

“I don’t take any pleasure by being, for a single weekend, in front of Mercedes,” he said. “Our aim when we wake up in the morning is to win races.

“We know we are not in a position to do that at the moment because we are not there yet in our journey of getting everything in place that we need in order to fight regularly for race wins. But that’s what we are focussed on.”

McLaren’s priority, says Seidl, remains building up its resources to become regular contenders for victory again.

‘Close the gap’;

https://www.racefans.net/2022/04/28/...t-imola-seidl/

Why the Miami GP was a 'reality check' for McLaren
    ‎11‎ ‎May‎ ‎16‎:‎00
    Author Anna Francis
    Co-author Dieter Rencken

After the high of Lando Norris' podium last time out at Imola, McLaren endured a much tougher weekend at the Miami Grand Prix. Team boss Andreas Seidl has explained the reasons behind their change in fortunes.

Norris retired following a collision with Pierre Gasly on Lap 41 of 57, and Ricciardo ended the day in 13th, meaning that the team came away with no points.

Seidl believes that McLaren's stronger outings at Melbourne and Imola may have been track and temperature-specific, and also thinks that the team's performance at the Miami International Autodrome brought them back down to earth somewhat. "We didn't have the performance that we had at the previous two race weekends," Seidl told media, including RacingNews365.com.

‘Reality Check’;

https://racingnews365.com/why-the-mi...ck-for-mclaren

FIA will "learn from mistakes" after Miami driver safety rebuke.
    Lando Norris hopes the FIA will 'learn from its mistakes' after failing to act upon F1 safety concerns at the Miami Grand Prix.
    Thursday 12 May 2022 11:44
    Ewan Gale

After his crash on Friday, Ferrari driver Sainz called for the addition of a Tecpro barrier to limit the impact of crashes. The FIA dismissed concerns but when Ocon crashed his Alpine at a relatively low speed, the 51g registered impact drew further concern from the grid. The A522 required a chassis change, whilst Sainz experienced neck pain throughout the weekend.

Asked whether the discussion would continue between drivers and the FIA, McLaren driver Norris said: "I don't know. I think we will discuss it as drivers with the FIA in Barcelona. I guess we learn from mistakes, I hope they learn from what happened.”

"As drivers, we understand things differently to someone who isn't driving the car and I think it is just important that when we give advice, it is taken on board and there are actions done, especially when I think there is a much bigger consequence of not having the Tecpro there than having a Tecpro there for instance, and something simple.”

‘FIA Dismissed Concerns and Tecpro’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/82...safety-rebuke/

McLaren 'pragmatic' after scoreless Miami
    Friday 13 May 2022 10:40
    Sam Hall

Andreas Seidl has reflected "pragmatically" on McLaren's second scoreless weekend of the season after Lando Norris came together with Pierre Gasly in Miami.

"I see it quite pragmatically. It doesn't matter who is guilty. The result is zero points, and it's a racing incident," explained team principal Seidl after the stewards' deemed no investigation into the incident was necessary.

"Unfortunately, we simply didn't maximise everything, and we had the incident with Lando, which is why we scored zero points and is obviously disappointing."

‘Scoreless Pragmatism’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/82...oreless-miami/

Schumacher “gutted” following Vettel collision in Miami.
    It came to a crashing end for Schumacher though, after the German went for an audacious move on his “mentor”. The move saw Schumacher collide with Vettel, resulting in the Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team driver retiring immediately. Schumacher went on to finish fifteenth, after pitting for a nose change.
    May 13, 2022
    By Nick Golding

Mick Schumacher’s inaugural Miami Grand Prix came to a disappointing end, the German was involved in a late incident with Sebastian Vettel which saw the young German’s hopes of scoring his first Formula 1 points diminish.

“The car was really good so I’m gutted that we didn’t get to stay in position – I think it was our best race so far this year. We’re all racers, we’re all trying, and it was always going to be tough to keep new tyres behind us and it was very unfortunate to end the race in that way. We were on the road to getting points, but we’ll have to wait some more.”

‘Gutted’;

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...sion-in-miami/

Haas F1 Team Suffers Late Disaster in Miami.
    The Haas F1 team made gains from its eighth-row lockout in qualifying as both Mick Schumacher and Kevin Magnussen crept into points contention late in the Formula 1 Miami GP Sunday.
    May 9, 2022
    BY PHILLIP HORTON

Schumacher took a late restart from ninth while Magnussen was 13th and on fresh tires. But Schumacher’s race unravelled after he clashed with Sebastian Vettel while Magnussen had two separate incidents following the restart with Vettel’s Aston Martin team-mate Lance Stroll.

The outcome was that Schumacher came home 15th while Magnussen pulled into retire on the last lap but was formally classified 16th.

Guenther Steiner lamented the late drama as Haas’ wait for a point on home soil continues. “Clearly not the day we wanted – especially this being one of our home events,” he said.

‘Miami Disaster’;

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...ster-in-miami/

Mick Schumacher 'very gutted' not to score first F1 points in Miami.
    08 May 2022

Mick Schumacher is "very gutted" not to have scored his first Formula 1 points in the 2022 Miami Grand Prix, after a late clash with Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel saw the Haas driver tumble down to P15 at the Miami International Autodrome.

‘Very Gutted’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...287832055.html

Krack points finger for crash at ‘over-zealous’ Schumacher
    Date published: May 13 2022
    Michelle Foster

Aston Martin team boss Mike Krack has put the blame for Sebastian Vettel and Mick Schumacher’s Miami crash firmly on the shoulders of the Haas driver. Racing for points at the Miami International Autodrome, Vettel overtook his young mentee only for Schumacher to fight back almost immediately.

The Haas driver tried to retake the position up the inside of Vettel, but instead made contact. Vettel retired as a result while Schumacher lost out on his first F1 World Championship points as he had to pit for a new nose cone, finishing last of the classified runners.

Krack believes the 24-year-old has only himself to blame. “He [Vettel] was in ninth place, which would have meant valuable championship points,” the German told Auto Bild. “Unfortunately, Seb then dropped out through no fault of his own when he met the over-zealous Schumacher.”

‘Finger pointed at Schumacher’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mike-k...umacher-miami/

Magnussen disappointed to leave 'the hardest race I've ever done' without points
    12 May 2022
    Formula 1.

Haas finished their first home race of the season without points, Magnussen failing to see the flag having collided with Lance Stroll late on, and Mick Schumacher being classified 15th after crashing into Sebastian Vettel in the races final stages. Magnussen said the blistering heat added another challenge to his Sunday.

“It was the hardest race I’ve ever done, it was unbelievably hot,” he said. “I had to do that last stint with damage to the front wing but even with that damage we got ourselves into a position to fight for P10.”

“We were catching Alonso and he had a time penalty, but it is what it is – we tried everything we could and didn’t get points, onto the next one.”

‘Pointless Hardest Race’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...TJiByEfKQ.html

Steiner says Haas eager to see Schumacher ‘come up to the level’ of Magnussen and score his first F1 points
    07 May 2022
    Formula 1.

There’s a widening gulf in the drivers’ standings between Haas racers Kevin Magnussen and Mick Schumacher – with Haas Team Principal Guenther Steiner saying ahead of the Miami Grand Prix that he was keen to see his young German charge score his first F1 points and get up to the level of F1 returnee Magnussen.

Speaking in Miami, Steiner was asked about Schumacher’s currently point-less situation, and whether he felt Schumacher had nonetheless made a “big step” in performance over the winter.

“I wouldn't say a big step over the winter. I think when he got in this year, he had a reference,” replied Steiner. “There was a reason why we took Kevin back, because otherwise we would feel stupid as well, 'why did you take him back?' We know what he can do, and obviously Kevin is a good driver. And for Mick now, he has got a reference and he just needs to come up to that level, but he knows that, and he's got a good opportunity to do that.”

‘Wouldn’t say a Big Step’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...X7lEJurM5.html

‘Mick and Steiner don’t fit like K-Mag and the boss do’
    Date published: May 12 2022 - Michelle Foster

Following Guenther Steiner’s criticism of Haas’ Miami Grand Prix double DNF, Ralf Schumacher says Mick Schumacher and the boss “don’t fit together in character”. This season marks Schumacher’s second on the Formula 1 grid with Haas, but still the German remains point-less.

With Magnussen also failing to score, the Dane involved in an incident with Lance Stroll, Steiner – a man not known for holding back – was not impressed. We are leaving with nothing,” said the Haas team boss. “Well, not with nothing, we are leaving with broken parts.”

Ralf told F1 Insider: “Mick and Steiner don’t fit together in character. An outwardly tough guy like Kevin Magnussen suits Steiner better.” Ralf, though, concedes the Miami result must have been “extremely annoying because it cost points”.

‘Leaving with broken parts’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mick-s...r-steiner-fit/

Haas left to rue late drama as Schumacher’s wait goes on
    10th May 2022, 23:24
    by Phillip Horton

Haas was left to lament separate incidents during the closing stages of Formula 1’s Miami Grand Prix as it saw its hopes of points fall by the wayside.

The result kept Haas eighth in the Constructors’ Championship, remaining a point behind AlphaTauri, which also failed to score. “Clearly not the day we wanted – especially being one of our home events,” said Haas team boss Guenther Steiner.

“The pace in the car was there and it was demonstrated by both drivers, but once again we got unlucky with some events on track.”

‘Pointless wait goes on’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...-wait-goes-on/

Mercedes ‘flying in the fog’ as W13 continues to mystify them.
    “We have been [struggling] straight from the beginning, flying in the fog a little bit,” said Wolff, quoted by GPFans.
    10 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

The consensus is that the Silver Arrows’ almost complete lack of sidepods have caused detrimental exposure to the floor, which might explain why they are suffering from so much “pospoising,” but Wolff has been adamant that he would rather understand why their current setup is not working rather than blindly switch to another concept.

But gaining a comprehension of the temperamental machine is evidently easier said than done. “And it is clear that there is potential in the car and she is fast but we just don’t understand how to unlock the potential.

“It is a car that is probably super-difficult to drive on the edge, dipping in and out of the performance window, more out than in, and dissecting the data with a scalpel is just a painful process because it takes a long time.”

‘W13 Foggy’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/mercedes-...-mystify-them/

Wolff: Saturday experiments produced 'bouncing kangaroo' W13
    08/05/2022 at 11:21
    Phillip van Osten

The Austrian warned that improving Mercedes' Silver Arrow would require a trial-and-error process. While Friday's performance – with George Russell topping the timesheets in FP2 – appeared to show progress, Saturday's trial was clearly an error according to Wolff.

In qualifying, Russell failed to make the top-ten shootout, the Briton complaining that his car was a totally "different beast" compared to Friday despite running a similar set-up.

But Hamilton clocked in P6, and claimed that he had enjoyed his best qualifying in the last three races while admitting that no real step forward had been achieved.

‘W13 Kangaroo Bouncing’;

https://f1i.com/news/440664-wolff-sa...garoo-w13.html

Russell confused after W13 feels ‘a totally different beast’
    07/05/2022, 23:26
    by Phillip Horton

George Russell says he and Mercedes are struggling to understand his slump during Saturday’s action at Formula 1’s Miami Grand Prix.

Russell set the pace on Friday at the Miami International Autodrome but lacked performance throughout Saturday’s sessions.

Explaining the impact the bouncing has on the car’s potential Russell said: “It’s just like the rear of the car is hopping around and you don’t have any support or stability of the rear.

‘W13 Different Beast’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...fferent-beast/

Toto Wolff confident in W13 potential despite continuing issues
    Published: 10 May 2022, 19:23
    By George Dagless

Toto Wolff has said that the Mercedes W13 car still has potential to be competitive, even if the team are still struggling to really get on top of it.

There’s cause for optimism for Mercedes fans as both drivers and Wolff, as well as other senior team members, have said that they feel as though the car has huge potential in terms of it being competitive – they just need to find a way of unlocking it at the moment.

Speaking recently, Wolff again said he felt that the car is sound in design, and if they can unlock the potential it has they will make great strides: “It is a car that is probably super-difficult to drive on the edge, dipping in and out of the performance window, more out than in, and dissecting the data with a scalpel is just a painful process because it takes a long time.”

‘W13 Sound Design, W13 Competitive Potential, W13 Huge Potential’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88006101...tinuing-issues

Toto Wolff discusses idea of Mercedes reverting to previous W13 version
    Published: 10 May 2022, 12:05
    By George Dagless

Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff has said that he will not rule out the team going back to an old spec of their car if that is the right thing to do.

After Miami it was put to Wolff that if the Mercedes looked slower in Spain now than it did then, would he and the team consider going back towards that older spec, and this is what he had to say: “Well I wouldn’t discount anything, but we need to give all our people benefit of the doubt,” Wolff was quoted by Autosport.

“They have produced great race cars in the past and we believe that this is the route to go. Barcelona is definitely going to be a point in time where we are able to correlate with what we saw in February and gather more data.”

‘W13 Data Gathering’;

https://www.givemesport.com/88006048...us-w13-version

WOLFF ON THE STRUGGLING W13: “WE JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW TO UNLOCK THE POTENTIAL”
    Five races into the season, the Mercedes team has yet to see improvements to the car.
    09/05/2022, 19:07
    Morgan Holiday

Despite being five races into the season without any noticeable improvements, Wolff maintains that the basic design of the car isn’t flawed. “There is potential in the car and she is fast,” he insisted. “But we just don’t understand how to unlock the potential.”

For now, Wolff and the team are confident that they can make the necessary improvements to the current car. But, they know that if they can’t sort their problems out soon, they’ll have to reevaluate the entire design.

Wolff has cited the timeline for making major changes to the car. He said “I would be asking for an answer after Barcelona and then we have to look ourselves in the mirror and ask: ‘Did we get it wrong or not?”

‘W13 Misunderstood’;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/wo.../?nowprocket=1

Mercedes hints at reverting back to old-spec W13 after Barcelona
    • 10/05/2022, 10:54
    • Hamilton Lyndon-Griffiths

Mercedes has given its first hint it could decide to revert back to its old-spec Formula 1 car if it remains unable to cure its porpoising issues.

Wolff concedes its previous car concept is “much slower on paper” than the ‘zero-pod’ design, but is determined to fix the current W13’s sensitivity to porpoising. While Wolff stressed Mercedes is committed to making the ‘zero-pod’ concept work, he said a decision on which route it takes for the rest of the year must be made.

“I think we are still committed to the current concept – and you need to be,” Wolff said. “If you don’t believe, and you give the other one a 50 per cent chance, then you’ve got to switch now. We are faithful to the current concept. We are not looking at the lady next door to see if we like it more or not. It’s still good.”

‘W13 Zero-Pod Commitment!’;

https://readmotorsport.com/2022/05/1...ter-barcelona/

Leclerc and Binotto comment on Ferrari’s upcoming aero upgrades.
    “In the next races it will be at least our turn to try to develop as much as we can the car by introducing upgrades,” said Binotto.
    15 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto estimates that Red Bull gained two tenths of a second per lap as a result of the upgrades they introduced at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

Ferrari gave new engines to Leclerc and Carlos Sainz in the last two but, asides from skids on the back of the car to help with stability and limit “porpoising,” have not added anything major to the car since the beginning of the year.

They intend to do so in the Spanish Grand Prix in just over a week, with adaptations expected to be made to the sidepods and wings.

‘Ferrari Upgrades’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/leclerc-a...aero-upgrades/

Ferrari boss concedes Red Bull have pace advantage, warns ‘it’s our turn’ to bring upgrades
    Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto believes that Red Bull have “a couple of tenths” over the Scuderia at present, but he aims to pull it back as the development battle continues.
    15 May 2022
    by Rob Kershaw

Red Bull implemented changes to their RB18 at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix was described as a “risk” by adviser Dr Helmut Marko due to the lack of preparatory time that weekend, but the reported 5kg weight loss and two-tenth improvement helped Max Verstappen to victory, before he overcame Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz to win again in Miami.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto: “In terms of performance assessments, and how much they [Red Bull] developed compared to us, is that a concern? I would say not,” he said, quoted by Autosport.

“I don’t think that the difference is huge. It is a matter of maximum a couple of tenths and we should not forget that [in Miami] we locked the front row. In qualifying we had a better performance compared to the Red Bull, so overall, in a weekend, I don’t think there is much difference between the Red Bull and the Ferrari.”

‘Ferrari’s turn for Upgrades’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/ferrari-b...ring-upgrades/

Binotto hoping budget cap curbs Red Bull's progress
    15/05/2022
    NEWS STORY

Ferrari boss, Mattia Binotto is hoping that the limitations of the budget cap will compromise Red Bull's upgrade programme as the championship battle develops.

Believing that a package of upgrades will be more effective than incremental changes Binotto is doubtful whether Red Bull can maintain the development programme which has allowed it close the gap.

"I always said that you should have wait five races at least to assess the proper competitiveness within the cars," said the Italian. "Now five races has gone, we are leading both championships which is great, so we should not be too disappointed.”

‘Ferrari believe upgrade packages to be MORE effective’;

https://www.pitpass.com/72478/Binott...Bulls-progress

Ferrari ramp up Red Bull mind games by aiming budget cap accusation at F1 rivals
    21:19, 14 May 2022
    By Neil Moxley

Ferrari have kicked off the mind-games with rivals Red Bull as the Formula One season hots up. The Scuderia have fired the first shots in what is shaping up to be a new rivalry as long-time leaders Mercedes struggle to get with the pace. Whispers from the pit-lane suggest that Red Bull has already splashed more of its budget on car upgrades than their Italian rivals.

Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto caused a stir with his comments. He said: “I hope at some point Red Bull can no longer develop, because there’s a budget cap for a reason. If they can, then I don’t understand (why).”

Binotto hinted that Red Bull has already spent a lot more of the $140m budget cap than his team. However, insiders in Max Verstappen’s camp believe this is little more than hot air. They have pointed to re-structuring within the team - fewer of the team travel to the track and more work is carried out in the Milton Keynes factory.

‘Ferrari mind games’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...notto-26966982

Marko uses Sainz to hit back at Ferrari’s budget cap talk
    Date published: May 14 2022
    Jamie Woodhouse

Red Bull’s Helmut Marko dismissed talk from Ferrari about his team’s budget usage, adding that Carlos Sainz’s crashes must be taking a toll.

However, put to him by Motorsport-Total.com that there were reports of Red Bull already using up 75% of its development budget, Marko dismissed that as “nonsense”. “I don’t think we are in a significantly different position than Ferrari in this respect,” he added.

The Spaniard has suffered several big shunts in the early stages of the 2022 season, the most recent occurring in Miami as he crashed out of the second practice session on Friday. So, Marko says these repair jobs will be impacting Ferrari’s available budget. “Especially as I wonder what effect it has on them that Carlos Sainz has already crashed the car several times,” Marko continued. “That can’t be cheap!”

‘Crashing Ferrari’s isn’t cheap’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut...sting-ferrari/

Marko ponders Ferrari’s development budget after Sainz crashes
    14th May 2022, 17:17
    by Fergal Walsh

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto questioned Red Bull’s current development speed, and believes that its ongoing pace of manufacturing and fitting new upgrades can’t be sustained. However, Marko doesn’t think that Red Bull has spent significantly more of its budget than Ferrari across the opening portion of the season.

“I don’t think so,” Marko told Motorsport-Total.com. “It’s true that the increased logistics costs are a problem. But it’s not just us, it’s Ferrari and all the other teams.”

“We plan our updates in such a way that we always lose weight with each update, because unfortunately we still haven’t reached the minimum weight. And we won’t quite reach it with the next update either.”

‘Ferrari Crashing Costs Questioned’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2022/...sainz-crashes/

Charles Leclerc crashes Niki Lauda's iconic 1974 £1m Ferrari into wall at Monaco
    As he approached the La Rascasse corner the Monacan lost control, following a break failure in the 48-year-old vehicle.
    19:05, 15 May 2022
    By Joshua Lees Sports Trends Writer

Following his crash in Lauda’s historic car the Monacan took to Twitter, writing: “When you thought you already had all the bad luck of the world in Monaco and you lose the brakes into rascasse with one of the most iconic historical Ferrari Formula 1 car."

The famous car was used by Lauda in 1974, and helped him secure victory in the Spanish Grand Prix and the Austrian Grand Prix on the way to a fourth-placed finish in the standings that year. This is not the first time the vehicle has been crashed, after Jean Alesi did just that at the same event as Leclerc’s nightmare last year.

‘Niki Lauda’s 1974 Ferrari F1 car brake failure’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...crash-26971165