Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Explained: Why the FIA has sacked both of F1’s 2022 race directors.
    Niels Wittich and Eduardo Freitas shared the race director role in 2022, after Michael Masi was sacked at the end of the previous year.
    13 January 2023
    by Jack Devonport
    Formula1News

The FIA president has now suggested in a recent interview that neither Freitas or Wittich will continue as race director in 2023, claiming that he believes that there are always better options out there being trained by the FIA.

But what caused Wittich and Freitas to lose their jobs? There are two major incidents from last season that can be pinpointed to explain why two new race directors will be appointed ahead of next season. The Japanese Grand Prix saw Freitas sidelined from his role after a recovery crane was deployed onto the track in extreme wet conditions, before the drivers had returned to the pitlane.

Not only was the extremely dangerous, but it was also at the exact circuit where Jules Bianchi tragically lost his life after colliding with a recovery vehicle. As for Wittich, the US Grand Prix in Austin proved to be the nail in the coffin as his handling of Fernando Alonso’s accident with Lance Stroll was nothing short of shambolic.

‘FIA has sacked both of F1’s 2022 race directors’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/explained...ace-directors/

Mercedes’ ‘chain reaction’ of errors cost 0.3-0.4s at start of F1 2022
    Friday 13th January 2023 2:00 PM
    Toby Miles
    PlanetF1.com

Mercedes’ 2022 title challenge was doomed before it began, after one dodgy data set sent the W13 down a losing path, according to the German team’s technical director. Drivers up and down the grid were complaining of porpoising issues but the Mercedes men seemed to have the worst, brain-rattling ride – with Hamilton leaving the cockpit in particularly severe pain after the Azerbaijan GP.

That’s when the spotlight turned to Mercedes’ radical commitment to a slimline sidepod design. The Silver Arrows had gone in search of more downforce but ended up bouncing along the straights, forcing them to carve away at the floor and sacrifice performance. In the impossibly complicated business of constructing an F1 car, even a fractional mis-step can cost positions. Mercedes technical director Mike Elliott explains: “What we were aiming for with the car, we had that going for us initially,” the British engineer told Motorsport.com.
    “Then something came out of a simulation that moved us to go in a slightly different direction with the car. “It’s easy in hindsight to shout ‘if we had made a different decision at that point, we would have finished in a completely different position’. But that there was something wrong with the data was just very hard to see at the time.

‘Chain Reaction’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merced...enths-f1-2022/

2022 Hindsight: The Mercedes AMG F1 W13
    12:18 Wed, 11 Jan 2023
    By Stewart Mitchell
    Racecar Engineering

Mercedes AMG F1 had a rude awakening to the new era of Formula 1 in 2022. Mike Elliott, the team’s technical director, explained the challenge and how the team approached the problems and looks ahead to the future.

‘It’s easy to say we had a tough time when we went through the eight previous Formula 1 world championships, winning them all, and we’re no longer in that position,’ says Mike Elliott, technical director of Mercedes AMG Formula 1, on the team’s 2022 performance.

‘We’re bound to think it’s not brilliant. However, looking at a wider context, the 2022 regulations intended to mix up the field and improve the show. In that way, Formula 1 achieved those outcomes.’

‘2022 Hindsight’;

https://www.racecar-engineering.com/...es-amg-f1-w13/

Mercedes surprised F1 2022 concept loophole was only found by them
    Friday 13th January 2023 8:30 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

Mercedes expected to be alone with their unique zero-pod design for the W13, but not in finding the loophole that led to it.

The 2022 Technical Regulations presented all the teams with a blank sheet of paper when it came to designing their challengers for the start of this new era, and Mercedes, on a run of eight Constructors’ titles in succession, went off the beaten path with their solution.

Largely eliminating the traditional sidepod area and leaving only narrow inlets, Mercedes’ innovative design for their W13 was termed the ‘zero-pod’ concept, a design which certainly sent early shockwaves through the paddock.

‘F1 2022 concept loophole’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merced...cept-loophole/

Alfa Romeo targets quicker rate of F1 updates after mid-2022 slump
    Jan 12, 2023, 10:05 AM
    By: Luke Smith
    Motorsport.com

Alfa Romeo is targeting a quicker production rate for its updates in Formula 1 this year to avoid a repeat of its mid-2022 slump compared to its midfield rivals. Alfa Romeo benefitted from being the only team that had got close to the weight limit under the new regulations, allowing it to pick up 51 points in the opening nine races courtesy of Bottas and rookie teammate Zhou Guanyu.

Between the British Grand Prix at the start of July and the end of the season, Alfa Romeo scored just four more points - the lowest tally of any team. Alfa Romeo head of trackside engineering Xevi Pujolar felt the shift in the pecking order came ahead of the summer break, coinciding with teams making weight savings and bringing update packages more regularly that meant it "looked like we were falling backwards."

"Close to the shutdown, probably their rate of development or the rate of bringing packages to the track, it was a bit higher than our one," Pujolar told Motorsport.com. "I think we were developing at the same rate, but we were not able to produce at the same rate. And that's what we have seen, our packages arrived a bit later. For sure, now, our aim for next season is to try to bring or speed up on that side, to be more aligned with the competition.”

‘Mid-2022 slump’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...lump/10419802/

2023 Formula 1 Preview & Review.
    25/11/2022, 07:20
    Motorsport Forums

https://www.motorsportforums.com/sho...89#post1314189

F1 2022: The biggest stories of the season.
    Take a look back at some of the defining moments and stories of the 2022 Formula 1 season.
    20 Jan 2023
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

‘Biggest stories’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...028626059.html

Who were the fastest drivers in F1 2022?
    10:41 Mon, 30 Jan 2023.
    Motorsport.com

Who was the fastest driver in 2022? Everyone has an opinion, but what does the stopwatch say? Obviously, differing car performance has an effect on ultimate laptime – but it’s the relative speed of each car/driver package that’s fascinating and enlightening says ALEX KALINAUCKAS

We’re aware that any attempt to rank Formula 1’s drivers in order of speed will provoke an emotional response in some quarters, especially the deafeningly partisan echo chamber that is social media. So we set out clear rules for this exercise based on arithmetic? and rigour rather than subjectivity and sentiment.

Formula 1 is a complex business and there are many parameters? to consider when assessing outright race pace in the current era.? To be clear, we only considered races where the top times were set on dry tyres, so unfortunately Japan had to be excluded.

‘Rules for this exercise based on arithmetic and rigour’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...2022/10426181/

Verstappen pinpoints 'very rare' 2022 F1 victory
    21 January 2023, 9:10AM
    Author Jake Nichol
    RacingNews365

Max Verstappen has elaborated on what he views as his most dominant performance during the 2022 F1 season, with the Dutchman believing that one race was a particularly "rare" event. World Champion Max Verstappen believes his crushing performance in the 2022 Belgian Grand Prix was "rare" in modern Formula 1.

Verstappen's tally of 15 wins and 454 points in the standings were both new records in 2022 as he claimed a second world title, with the Belgian GP at Spa in August the fourth in a run of five straight victories. Although he qualified on pole by a healthy margin, the Red Bull driver started in 14th thanks to engine grid penalties.

However, by Lap 12, he was in first place. He assumed the lead once again six tours later after making his required pit-stop and went onto win by almost 18 seconds from teammate Sergio Perez. He was also over a minute clear of main title rival Charles Leclerc, who could only manage sixth having started one place behind Verstappen on the grid

‘Most dominant performance’;

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...022-f1-victory

What difference did F1's fastest pitstops of 2022 make?
    11:42 Mon, 23 Jan 2023.
    Motorsport.com

While a quick pitstop can make all the difference to the outcome of a Formula 1 race, most team managers say consistency is more important than pure speed. MATT KEW analyses the fastest pitstops from last season to see which ones – if any – made a genuine impact

Pit crews relentlessly rehearse their craft. After all, it's far more logical for teams to save 0.5s every time the tyres need changing rather than risk a prang by asking their driver to find that time on track. But are these practice efforts in vain, or can the slickest of stops define somebody's day?

We've rated the fastest stops from 2022 according to the impact they had on the driver's race, where one signifies no meaningful difference and 10 denotes game-changing transformation. The spread of results certainly shows speed isn't everything…

‘Pit crews relentlessly rehearse their craft’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...make/10423737/

Mercedes were ‘surprised’ no other team found F1 2022 concept loophole
    17 Jan 2023
    Lewis Larkam

Mercedes were “surprised” their rivals did not find the loophole that enabled them to come up with their radical sidepod concept for F1 2022.

Following a major overhaul to F1’s aerodynamic regulations, Mercedes shocked the paddock by going completely down their own route and adopting a ‘zero sidepod’ solution that differed greatly to Red Bull and Ferrari’s designs.

Mercedes went on to endure a difficult season with their troubled W13 challenger, winning just one race as they slipped to third place in the F1 constructors’ standings after an unprecedented streak of eight consecutive world titles.

‘Surprised their rivals did not find the loophole’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/101912...ncept-loophole

Motorsport Forums

10 things we learned about the F1 2022 season from Drive to Survive Season 5.
    Its concocting of fake rivalries in particular has left many loyal fans (including the World Champion) fatigued and frustrated and there are some who suspect F1’s relationship with Netflix may be nearing the end of the line.
    27 Feb 2023 6:00 AM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Being paid to binge watch Netflix’s Drive to Survive is a tough job, but somebody has to do it. Despite its transformational impact on Formula 1’s popularity over the last five years, the docuseries has a controversial reputation among those long bitten by the racing bug.

Team bosses saw right through Toto’s infamous rant. It was extensively reported at the time that the team principals’ meeting in Canada, where Toto Wolff had a meltdown over porpoising, would prove the highlight of Season 5 and it did not disappoint. After Hamilton admitted that he “nearly just pulled in” during a very uncomfortable ride in Baku, Wolff warns his fellow team bosses are “playing a dangerous game” and that he will “come after” them if a car ends up in the wall.

What was less extensively reported was that many of his rivals shared the view that Wolff was merely playing up to the cameras, his rant seemingly out of character and taking them by surprise. “Hang on, are we playing up to the cameras here?” Horner asks, before urging Wolff to “change your f****** car.”

‘Concocting of fake rivalries’;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/10...vive-season-5/

'Dead man walking' — Why Mick Schumacher's Haas F1 career was doomed from early 2022
    February 24th 2023
    Author James Elson
    Motor Sport Magazine

The new Drive to Survive Season 5 has revealed how early in last season that Mick Schumacher was put under serious pressure to keep his Haas F1 seat. The young German struggled for performance throughout the season, with team owner Gene Haas saying early in the season that the son of F1 legend Michael was in “dead man walking territory” courtesy of his poor performances.

“****ing hell,” is team boss Guenther Steiner’s Saudi reaction when talking to owner Haas in the latest instalment of Drive to Survive. “We give him a year to learn, what does he do on the second day? He ****ing destroys the car, just because the other guy is faster.”

“Do you know how much I have to listen to Gene?” Steiner later says during the Azerbaijan weekend to a Haas team member as he also feels the heat. “Gene doesn’t hate anything more than someone crashing a car.” The team boss’s colleague then suggests “getting rid” of Schumacher.

‘He ****ing destroys the car, just because the other guy is faster’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...3&nowprocket=1

Carlos Sainz feels he could have won 2022 title in a 2021-style F1 car
    22 Feb 2023 3:00 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

If those pesky ground-effect cars had not come to be, then Carlos Sainz would have fancied himself as an F1 2022 title contender. “Obviously last year I had difficulties with a car that required a special driving style,” said Sainz, as per Motorsport-Magazin.com. “Although I think it was too late, I still adapted.”

“I’m trying to start better this year and adapt to the conditions of the car. There are things I want to get better at. For example, consistency, that used to be my strength, I have somewhat given up the consistency that made me so strong at McLaren and in my first year at Ferrari.”

“I feel more confident and better prepared after last year. I know now what it’s like to fight at the front and what I have to do to do it. To be honest, I wasn’t ready with last year’s car. With the style of the 2021 car, I could have won the World Championship. Last year I was not in a good position, it happens.”

‘With the style of the 2021 car, I could have won’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/carlos...itle-2021-car/

Piastri makes candid admission on 2022 F1 season

McLaren rookie Oscar Piastri feels hungrier for his F1 chance after spending a year on the sidelines, but the Australian admits that there will be an element of rust heading into the year
    February 13, 2023
    By Ed Spencer
    Total Motorsport

“I think so. You know, obviously, as a racing driver, I want to be racing all the time. So taking a year out of racing was not ideal,” said Piastri to selected media, including Total-Motorsport.com.

“I tried to make the most of what I had, trying to learn as much as I could about the F1 environment outside of driving and trying to learn as much as I could.”

“I learned some things that I wouldn’t necessarily have learnt anywhere elsewhere last year, but definitely, I’m looking forward to getting stuck in again and going racing.”

‘Candid admission’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...2022-year-out/

REVEALED: Who was the highest-paid F1 driver in 2022?
    Lewis Hamilton is in talks to extend his Mercedes contract, which currently expires at the end of this season.
    23 February 2023
    by Jack Devonport
    Formula1News

Lewis Hamilton’s contract talks with Mercedes may be one of the worst kept secrets in Formula 1 history, with both Hamilton and his Mercedes boss Toto Wolff being very open about the process.

The seven-time world champion’s contract expires at the end of this year and despite previously stating that he had no intentions to race into his 40’s, Hamilton is set to extend his current deal.

As a seven-time world champion, it would be expected that Hamilton is the highest earner on the current F1 grid, but this is not the case, by quite some margin.

‘REVEALED’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/revealed-...river-in-2022/

Verstappen and Red Bull nominated for Laureus World Sports Awards after commanding 2022 F1 display
    20 February 2023
    Formula One - Official Site

Max Verstappen and Red Bull are in the running for some early 2023 silverware after receiving nominations for the upcoming Laureus World Sports Awards – reflecting their F1 championship double last year.

After an initial challenge from Ferrari, Verstappen and Red Bull ultimately stormed to both world titles under F1’s 2022 rules reset, with the Dutchman taking 15 wins from 22 races and the team racking up 17 in total.

In recognition of their efforts, Verstappen has been nominated for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year crown, and Red Bull for the Laureus World Team of the Year accolade. The Laureus World Sports Awards were first held back in 2000 and are regarded as one of the most prestigious prize-giving ceremonies across the sporting world.

‘Nominated for Laureus World Sports Awards’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...bpsXdVxys.html

Motorsport Forums

Steiner: Sacking Schumacher �not nice� but you �can�t beat up a dead horse'.
    “I just sat down with him and explained that we needed to bring the team forward with an experienced driver,” Steiner said.
    13th March 2023, 14:29
    by Fergal Walsh
    Motorsport Week

Guenther Steiner has opened up on the decision to axe Mick Schumacher from the Haas team at the end of the 2022 Formula 1 season. “It is part of the job. It is not a nice thing to do. I don’t enjoy it but you just have to be professional about it.”

“Dealing with a Schumacher is not easy, as you can imagine. He was grown up about it. He wasn’t happy. I would say he saw the writing on the wall. He is a clever kid. He had two years.”

“We didn’t get where we wanted to and I had to make some changes. You cannot beat up a dead horse.”

‘Part of the job’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...-a-dead-horse/

Haas boss Guenther Steiner on Netflix’s Drive To Survive: “I’m not an actor” - “not ashamed” of Mick Schumacher criticism
    11 Mar 2023
    James Dielhenn
    Crash.Net

Guenther Steiner insists Netflix’s Drive To Survive “needs to” show the “most tricky” moments but he has refused to backtrack over his comments about Mick Schumacher.

The fifth series of the F1 show, filmed last season, showed multiple examples of the Haas team principal criticising his own driver and making plans to replace him, which eventually he did do.

Many of Steiner’s private comments about Schumacher - such as “you cannot buy it or develop [talent]” - demonstrated the ruthlessness required to lead a successful F1 team.

‘Ruthlessness’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/102190...cher-criticism

Guenther Steiner’s treatment of Mick Schumacher at Haas still bothers uncle Ralf
    12 Mar 2023 3:00 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Ralf Schumacher has continued to criticise Haas boss Guenther Steiner for the way he treated Schumacher’s nephew, Mick. With the latest series of Drive to Survive devoting an episode to Haas, Ralf Schumacher again criticised Steiner, admitting that while Mick did make mistakes, he expected “a grown man to treat a young man differently.”

“Mick was slow and made mistakes,” Schumacher told Formel1.de. “And as a driver you have to deal with the fact that the team criticises it. I have absolutely no problem with criticism and Guenther Steiner should lead his team as he wants and thinks is right.”

“I just have to say that I expect a grown man to treat a young man differently. I think the young man could have been motivated better. When you see that now, you can imagine even more how difficult it was for Mick and what Mick did at his age. In a team where you have the feeling that you are not wanted and you are actually going up against the sack, Mick has done a great job. The future will show whether he is good enough at the end of the day.”

‘Motivated better’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/guenth...her-haas-ralf/

Mick Schumacher won’t be watching Drive to Survive: ‘That’s a personal choice’
    04 Mar 2023 8:00 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Mick Schumacher didn’t watch the Drive to Survive episode entitled ‘Like Father, Like Son?’ in which his former team boss Guenther Steiner is heard berating him to Gene Haas after his “f***ing” Jeddah crash.

Steiner was caught on camera speaking with Haas team owner Gene Haas about his driver’s crash. “Gave him a year to learn and what does he do in the second race? He f****** destroys the car just because the other one is faster,” raged the Italian. Haas replied: “Have a little talk with Schumacher. He’s getting in over his head.”

Five races later when he crashed in Monaco, another hefty repair bill on the line, Haas told Steiner that it “needs talent, you can’t develop talent” before adding “that is the dead man walking area.” Steiner replied: “If he doesn’t pull his trousers up, he will be soon.”

‘Mick Schumacher won’t be watching, Guenther Steiner berating him to Gene Haas’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mick-s...ve-to-survive/

Steiner reveals ‘thick skin’ after years in F1’s Piranha Club
    Thursday 2nd March, 2023 - 1:00pm
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has conceded to developing “a thick skin” from his many years of fighting on F1’s political battleground. Given his longevity in the sport, Steiner is now regarded as one of the more influential figures, belonging to a group of people that over time has affectionately become known as ‘the Piranha Club’ given that only the strongest survive.

Asked whether he enjoyed the political machinations, Steiner said: “It doesn’t do anything for me. It’s part of the job. If you cannot deal with it…I wouldn’t say you enjoy it but you know it’s part of the job and you do it. Once you start to enjoy negative things, then you’re quite a sad person, and I’m not a sad person.”

“You deal with it as part of your job and you are always trying to get the best out of it.” Declaring it to be a developed skill as the years go by, Steiner added: “Your skin gets very thick after a while. It’s like ‘Oh, right, come on, boy. Here we go, let’s play now.”

‘Thick skin’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/03/02...f1-thick-skin/

Motorsport Forums

Russell: 2022 Brazil win led Mercedes down the wrong path.
    George Russell reckons his maiden Formula 1 win at the Brazil Grand Prix last year potentially led Mercedes down the wrong path with its 2023 car.
    07:58 Sat, 18 Mar 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

After a season spent largely trailing Red Bull and Ferrari, Mercedes ended last year on a high by the sight of Russell leading home Lewis Hamilton for a 1-2 at the penultimate round in Sao Paulo. The promising progression from its early-season troubles led to Mercedes opting to retain its radically different zero sidepod concept for this year.

However, a below-par showing in Bahrain – where its W14 car was only the fourth quickest in the field – resulted in team boss Toto Wolff declaring a change in philosophy would be required. “With regards to Brazil, yeah, perhaps Brazil, did lead us down a bit of a wrong path because we did feel like we were improving as a team, that we were going in the right direction,” he claimed.

‘The wrong path’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...he-wrong-path/

Verstappen highlights 2022 Australian GP as Red Bull turning point
    05:16 Fri, 31 Mar 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Max Verstappen has detailed how his nightmare Australian Grand Prix 12 months ago provided the key turning point in Red Bull’s season.

While Verstappen and Red Bull comfortably collected both titles in 2022, the Dutch driver’s failure to finish in Melbourne marked his second retirement within the opening three races, leaving him a huge 46 points behind Charles Leclerc.

Aside from the Austrian outfit’s RB19 struggling with reliability, performance and an overweight car was also a concern for the eventual champions. Prior to his retirement Verstappen had been unable to live with the pace of Ferrari’s F1-75 in the hands of Leclerc, who went on to achieve a grand slam.

‘2022 Australian GP turning point’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...turning-point/

Aston Martin on why Melbourne 2022 horror show was the ‘best moment’ for team
    22 Mar 2023 7:00 PM
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Aston Martin team principal Krack admitted it was a tough part of the year for the team, but in a way it also helped galvanise them to make steps forward later on in the season. “It was a very difficult moment, but I think it was also the best moment for us as a team,” Krack said, as per Motorsport-Total.com.

“Because we all sat down together after what happened and talked in a normal voice. It would have been quite easy to completely fall apart as a team, but we really stuck together and decided that we would work our way out of it. From that point of view, that’s actually been the highlight of last year for me.”

‘Melbourne 2022 horror show’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-...22-motivation/

Formula 1 merchandise sales double in 2022, are up over 1,000% in five years
    09 Mar 2023 11:00 PM
    Sam Cooper

Formula 1’s explosion in popularity has translated into merchandise sales with one of the biggest retailers reporting a 1,000% increase since 2018. It is no secret that the popularity of Formula 1 has risen dramatically since Liberty Media took over in 2016, with the United States being successfully targeted as an area for expansion.

But it is not just the US where popularity is growing with many circuits finding their ticket allocations sold out and a growing demand for the sport across the world. One way for fans to interact with the sport is to buy merchandise and a major retailer has reported triple digit growth in F1 sales in a single year.

‘Formula 1 merchandise’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/formul...-sales-double/

2022 outings made F1 return possible – Hulkenberg
    17:29 Sun, 12 Mar 2023.
    by Rob Kershaw
    Motorsport Week

Haas’ Nico Hulkenberg concedes that he likely would not have returned to the grid this season had it not been for his appearances with Aston Martin last year.

Hulkenberg lost his Renault seat to Esteban Ocon ahead of the 2020 season, but returned to Racing Point – whom he raced for in its Force India days – as a reserve.

In the covid-hit campaign, he subbed in three times for Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll, before filling in for Sebastian Vettel in the opening two rounds of last season when his compatriot also fell ill.

‘2022 outings’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...le-hulkenberg/

Motorsport Forums

Schumacher caused $2 million in damage in one season at Haas – Steiner.
    In the round-up: Haas team principal Guenther Steiner says the bill for damage caused by Mick Schumacher last season was $2 million (£1.6m).
    RaceFans Round-up
    Posted on 10th April 2023, 0:0111th April 2023, 11:58
    Written by Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Haas dropped Schumacher at the end of the year due to concerns over the costs of his crashes over the course of the year. His position was in doubt following a heavy impact in qualifying at Jeddah and another substantial crash in Monaco. Late in the year Schumacher crashed again after leaving the pits to perform a practice start in wet conditions during first practice at Suzuka. In his forthcoming book, an extract of which was published last weekend by The Times, Steiner is quoted saying that crash alone cost the team $700,000 (£563,000).

“It happened on the foking in-lap,” says Steiner in his book. “On the in-lap! Sure, it was very wet out there on the track, but nobody else managed to write off a car while they were driving back to the pits. We lose a car after five minutes and now have to build another. I cannot have a driver who I am not confident can take a car around safely on a slow lap. It’s just foking ridiculous. How many people could we employ with $700,000?”

“It happened on the foking in-lap”;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/04/10/...nd-up-10-04-6/

Schumacher crash on ‘slow lap’ in Japan was final straw, says Steiner
    11:49 Tue, 11 Apr 2023.
    Kieran Jackson Formula 1 Correspondent
    The Independent

Schumacher was dropped by Haas after two years and a final season which included high-cost shunts. Gunether Steiner has revealed that a crash on a ‘slow lap’ in Japan last October was the final straw as he dropped Mick Schumacher from a race seat at Haas.

Schumacher joined Haas as a rookie in 2021 but only scored his first points last year at Silverstone as he struggled for consistency, particularly in 2022 compared to team-mate Kevin Magnussen. The 24-year-old, son of seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, also cost his team a lot of money in repairs after high-cost shunts in Saudi Arabia and Monaco.

But it was a crash on an ‘in-lap’ at the Japanese Grand Prix in Suzuka which sent team boss Steiner over the edge, as he reveals in his new book Surviving to Drive. “It happened on the f****** in-lap,” Steiner said.

‘Schumacher crash on ‘slow lap’, final straw’;

https://www.independent.co.uk/f1/mic...-b2317702.html

Steiner hints at moment Haas lost confidence in Schumacher
    18:22 Mon, 10 Apr 2023.
    by Taylor Powling
    Motorsport Week

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has indicated that Mick Schumacher’s practice crash in Japan last year was the moment he finally lost confidence in the German. Steiner has now recalled his bewilderment and frustration at such an incident occurring when his ex-driver wasn’t even pushing the limits on a timed lap.

“It happened on the in-lap!” Steiner said to The Times about Schumacher’s Japan incident. “Sure it was very wet out there on the track, but nobody else managed to write off a car while they were driving back to the pits.”

‘Steiner HINTS at moment’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...in-schumacher/

'I cannot have that' – Steiner pinpoints moment he decided to DROP Mick Schumacher
    Monday 10 April 2023 10:37
    Harry Smith
    GPFans

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has pinpointed the moment when the knew he wouldn't retain Mick Schumacher, citing an incident at the Japanese Grand Prix as the tipping point for the German. Steiner was very public in his criticism of Schumacher throughout the 2022 season after major shunts in Jeddah and Monaco cost the Haas team dearly.

Speaking to The Times about Schumacher's Japanese Grand Prix crash, Steiner exclaimed: "It happened on the in-lap! "Sure it was very wet out there on the track, but nobody else managed to write off a car while they were driving back to the pits. We lose a car after five minutes and now have to build another."

'I cannot have that';

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...-haas-f1-team/

Steiner unrepentant over casting out Schumacher
    09/04/2023 at 15:35
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

"We lose a car after five minutes and now have to build another. I cannot have a driver who I am not confident can take a car around safely on a slow lap. It’s just ridiculous. How many people could we employ with $700,000? And I have to now find that money.” Reports suggest that in total, Schumacher's mishaps cost the team $2 million leading to Steiner's oft-cited quote “you cannot beat up a dead horse” about the driver.

“I think that was said in the heat of the moment," he admitted. "If you say something when you are racing, it’s very emotional and people forget that, you know? It’s one of those things.”

Steiner is the subject of a new profile interview for The Times newspaper this weekend, as he promotes his new book entitled Surviving to Drive: A Year Inside Formula 1, described as "an exhilarating account of a year" which will be published on April 20.

‘UNREPENTANT’;

https://f1i.com/news/471275-steiner-...chumacher.html

Wolff: Michael Schumacher’s presence would have changed Haas treatment Mick Schumacher
    April 8, 2023
    By Joe Ellis
    Total Motorsport

Mick Schumacher was let go by the American team at the end of the 2022 season in favour of Nico Hulkenberg. Toto Wolff believes Haas team principal Gunther Steiner would have treated Mick Schumacher differently had his dad been around.

Michael Schumacher, a seven-time Formula 1 world champion, has been suffering from health problems ever since a skiing accident in 2013 and has not been to an F1 race since then. Mick had to fight his way to F1 without his dad’s presence at the track but he was axed from Haas at the end of 2022 after two insignificant years in favour of Nico Hulkenberg.

“I can only say that his parents did nothing wrong in raising him,” Mercedes team principal Wolff told the German newspaper, Blick. “And I affirm that if Michael had accompanied his son during the two years of Haas, Steiner would not have dared to treat Mick like this.”

‘Michael Schumacher’s presence’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/wol...ck-schumacher/

Toto Wolff: Haas ‘wouldn’t dare’ treat Mick Schumacher the same with Michael by his side
    05 Apr 2023 8:15 AM
    Michelle Foster
    PlanetF1.com

Toto Wolff agrees with Ralf Schumacher that had Mick’s father Michael been at the track, his former Haas team boss Guenther Steiner would’ve treated him better.

With Steiner informing Schumacher on the eve of the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix that Haas would not be renewing his contract, instead signing 35-year-old Nico Hulkenberg. His uncle Ralf Schumacher, vocal in his criticism of Steiner’s handling of his nephew, claimed that never would have happened had Michael been present.

“I believe,” he told F1-Insider, “and this bothers me the most: If my brother had been there, Guenther Steiner would have behaved differently. I just think Michael’s presence would have been enough. But again, everyone does what they want.” Wolff agrees with that sentiment.

‘Wouldn’t dare’

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...el-schumacher/

Motorsport Forums

Mick Schumacher's Haas nightmare in full detail as Michael's son cost £1.7m in crashes.
    In Steiner’s new book ‘Surviving to Drive’, he revealed that £550,000 worth of damages were caused in just one incident - when Schumacher crashed during FP1 at the Japanese Grand Prix.
    15:40, Thu, Apr 13, 2023
    By Jack McEachen
    Daily and Sunday Express.

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has detailed the extent of damage that Mick Schumacher caused during the 2022 season after being involved in several crashes. The 24-year-old son of legendary F1 driver Michael Schumacher was not retained by Haas at the end of the year, having cost the team an exorbitant £1.7million due to his accidents.

The German spun off the track on Turn 7 in difficult conditions during an in-lap that left his boss dumbfounded and furious. “It happened on the f****** in-lap,” Steiner said in the book. “On the in-lap! Sure, it was very wet out there on the track, but nobody else managed to write off a car while they were driving back to the pits.”

‘F****** in-lap’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...einer-Mercedes

Guenther Steiner tears into Mick Schumacher in ‘Surviving to Drive’ book
    13 Apr 2023 3:30 PM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

Guenther Steiner has admitted Mick Schumacher’s crash in Monaco was the first time he had doubts about his driver. “And now we get on to Mick,” the Haas boss wrote. “Jeezoz [sic], where do I start?”

“The first time a driver writes off a car in a season due to human error, you have to forget about it. It’s just one of those things and at the end of the day, s**t happens sometimes. The second time it happens you think ‘hang on, something’s not right here.’ The cost and the effect it has on our chances of scoring points is one thing but what about the dangers to the driver and other people? Nobody ever mentions that.”

‘Something’s not right’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/guneth...aco-criticism/

'We keep f***ing wrecking them... or should I say ONE driver does!': Mick Schumacher is SAVAGED by Haas boss Guenther Steiner in new tell-all book... as he reveals axed German's crashes last season cost them £1.7MILLION!
    • Mick Schumacher's crashes last season led to an exorbitant bill for Haas
    • The 24-year-old has been savaged by his former boss at Haas in a new book
    • Schumacher is now trying to rebuild his Formula One career with Mercedes
    Published: 06:35, 14 April 2023
    By Nathan Salt For Mailonline
    Mail Online

There is no love lost between Mick Schumacher and his former boss at Haas Guenther Steiner and the executive has now savaged the young driver in his new book. Schumacher was dropped by Haas at the end of the 2022 season and has since taken a backwards step to become a reserve at Mercedes behind Lewis Hamilton and George Russell.

The 24-year-old son of legendary former F1 driver Michael found life tough at Haas, particularly with avoiding the barriers. Steiner has now revealed exactly how much Schumacher cost the team in crash damages.

The arrival of Schumacher at Haas in 2021 was seen as a major coup given the star power attached to his family name but it soon turned into a loveless marriage between the young driver and Steiner. Speaking of the costly mistake in Japan - which saw Schumacher spin off at Turn 7 at Suzuka in tricky weather conditions - Steiner remains livid. 'It happened on the f*****g in-lap,' Steiner wrote…

'We keep f***ing wrecking them... or should I say ONE driver does!';

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-crashes.html

Mick Schumacher furiously slammed by ex-F1 boss as Michael's son racks up £1.7m bill.
    The son of the legendary Michael Schumacher raced at Haas during the 2021 and 2022 F1 campaigns, but it was an expensive two years for the team before he was released.
    10:04, 14 Apr 2023
    By Fraser Watson Sports Trends Writer

In his new book titled Surviving to Drive, the Italian has accused the 24-year-old of racking up a huge £1.7 million in repair bills, amid the budget cap for all teams being cut. And it was the incident in Suzuka which seemingly irked him most.
    According to the Express, he in his book he singled out the spin on Turn 7, which he claimed cost £550,000 alone: "It happened on the f*****g in-lap," he wrote. "On the in-lap! Sure, it was very wet out there on the track, but nobody else managed to write off a car while they were driving back to the pits.

"We lose a car after five minutes and now have to build another. I cannot have a driver who I am not confident can take a car around safely on a slow lap. It's just f*****g ridiculous. How many people could we employ with $700,000 (£550,000)? And I have to now find that money."

‘Furiously slammed by ex-F1 boss’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...as-f1-29708455

What Haas being ‘back to normal’ in F1 actually means
    Apr 13 2023
    By Edd Straw
    The Race

Haas has got “back to normal” this year, in the words of its Formula 1 team principal Guenther Steiner. Now that Haas is back to normal, it’s proved itself to be a good, effective, solid F1 team. The primary challenge for this year is to produce more consistent updates given last year was focused on one major package in Hungary.

If it can do that then there’s no reason it can’t do better than last year’s eighth in the constructors’ championship – as based on current form that appears to be the worst-case scenario.

Haas still has a long way to go to convince it can be anything more than a midfielder even in the cost cap era. But it’s at least proved decisively that, even when things are back to normal, it’s capable of holding its own in the mid-pack.

‘back to normal’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-...ctually-means/

Motorsport Forums

Guenther Steiner on Ralf Schumacher relationship: ‘It no longer exists’.
    “The relationship no longer exists and I don’t need a new one either. I choose my friends myself and who I want to talk to. That’s how I’ve always been and that’s how it will stay.” Guenther Steiner.
    18 Apr 2023 7:30 AM
    Jamie Woodhouse
    PlanetF1.com

The verbal clashes between Haas boss Guenther Steiner and Ralf Schumacher over the past two seasons have seemingly taken a major toll on relations between the pair. Asked by RTL/n-tv and Sport.de about this situation with Ralf, Steiner replied: “I don’t have a problem, I have to do my job. I think the problem lies with someone else, not with me.

That’s why I’m not worried about it and I don’t have to go there. “The relationship no longer exists and I don’t need a new one either. I choose my friends myself and who I want to talk to. That’s how I’ve always been and that’s how it will stay.”

Steiner confirmed that he has no interaction with Mick now either, albeit not purely by design. “He’s at the other end in the pit lane now, so we see each other very rarely,” Steiner said with a smile. “If he wants to talk to me: okay. If he doesn’t want to talk to me, it’s okay too. I have to respect that and I’m okay with that.”

‘It no longer exists’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/guenth...-relationship/

Lewis Hamilton given blunt message on Abu Dhabi heartbreak in Haas chief's tell-all book
    Mirror Sport has read Guenther Steiner's new F1 book Surviving To Drive, which is out later this week, and in which the Haas chief gives an inside look at the 2021 title race fall-out
    10:39, 17 Apr 2023
    By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer

Guenther Steiner explains his true feelings about the controversial end to the 2021 Formula 1 title race in a new book which hits the shelves later this week.
    "After the race I had a few days visiting my mother and every person I saw in the town wanted to know what I thought. 'Why are you asking me?' I said. 'I was too busy concentrating on a Russian who didn't finish the race and a German who was in fourteenth position'.

"What do I think, then? Well, it was certainly very confusing. I remember sitting on the pit wall listening to the orders from the race director and thinking, 'What the hell is happening here?' At the time it didn't stack up to me, but at the same time I didn't know all the facts. It was very entertaining, though. Poor Toto [Wolff, Mercedes team principal] almost had a f***ing heart attack!”

"Look, at the end of the day, both teams have won a world championship and good for them. Red Bull won the drivers' and Mercedes the constructors'. I'd take either of those. Mercedes didn't protest, so off we go. We move on."

“Poor Toto almost had a f***ing heart attack!”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...einer-29728867

‘Poor Toto’: Guenther Steiner shares controversial opinion on Lewis Hamilton ‘robbery’
    Guenther Steiner's book 'Driving To Survive' goes on sale later this week.
    17 April 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Formula 1 fans will be rushing to the shops later this week, as Haas team principal Guenther Steiner’s book is set to hit the shelves. ‘Surviving To Drive’ reportedly starts with Steiner’s view on the 2021 season finale, according to Mirror Sport, who have read the book early.

It was on that day that former F1 race director Michael Masi made multiple ‘human errors’, which effectively saw Lewis Hamilton lose an unprecedented eighth world title. Steiner states in his book that he found the entire situation “very confusing” but that ultimately the sport has to just “move on”, with Mercedes having opted against protesting the result.

“If I had a dollar from every person who has asked for my opinion on what happened between Lewis and Max in Abu Dhabi over the past six days, I’d be able to poach Adrian Newey!” Steiner jokes in his book. “Not that I would. He’s far too exciting for me.”

‘A dollar from every person’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/poor-toto...ilton-robbery/

Haas boss Guenther Steiner opens up on sacking Russian F1 driver Nikita Mazepin following Ukraine invasion
    Monday 17 Apr 2023 1:45 pm
    Callum McAvoy
    Metro.co.uk

Haas F1 boss Guenther Steiner has detailed the moment he had to sack Russian driver Nikita Mazepin following the start of the war in Ukraine. Just weeks before the start of the 2022 season, Russia invaded Ukraine, leaving Hass and Steiner in a difficult situation as not only did they have a Russian driver but also a Russian title sponsor in the form of Urakali.

‘I went to my office for a board meeting. They wanted to know what I thought, as team principal, so I told them. “Drop the Uralkali branding”, I said. “Change the livery to white and tell the whole f***ing world that is what we have done”.

‘If we retained Uralkali as a sponsor and had them on our livery we’d be crucified by the media, the fans and the FIA. It would be suicide and I’ve got enough on my plate!’

‘We’d be crucified’;

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/17/f1-ha...o=newsnow-feed

Surviving to Drive by Guenther Steiner review: Haas boss takes aim in F1 2022 diary
    17 Apr 2023 9:00 AM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

If there is one adjective that sums up Guenther Steiner’s new autobiography entitled ‘Surviving to Drive’, it is straight-talking. The 280-page diary, which takes its name from the Netflix series that propelled Steiner from just another team principal to fan favourite megastar, is billed as an “unobstructed view of what really goes on behind the scenes” of a Formula 1 team – and it was quite the season for Steiner and his Haas outfit.

The term “foking”, used frequently throughout, seems to have been partially invented as a result of the infamous “he does not fok smash my door” line from the Netflix series that has adorned many a T-shirt, but also as a way to avoid an uncomfortable question from the publisher as to why there was over 100 swear words within the book. For those afraid Steiner’s voice had been watered down though, fear not as there are plenty of s**ts to make up for it.

Once Mazepin has been dealt with, the book moves on to what becomes the overriding theme: Mick Schumacher. The relationship between Steiner and Schumacher is one of the most analysed in Formula 1. Steiner maintains his innocence throughout, instead taking aim at the German media and Ralf Schumacher who is referred to only as “Mick’s Uncle”, making him into F1’s version of Voldemort.

“Mick’s Uncle”;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/su...teiner-review/

Motorsport Forums

Guenther Steiner says Christian Horner and Toto Wolff ‘want to kill each other’.
    Steiner notes in his new book, ‘Surviving to Drive’, how the pair have such a strong feud that it impacted a dinner between team bosses and Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali.
    19 April 2023
    by Edward Hardy
    Formula1News

“I bet he’s careful about the seating plan,” Steiner explained. “He’s not daft. Christian will be at the opposite end to Toto.” Wolff hasn’t shied away from hitting out at Horner, recently claiming in an interview that the Red Bull team principal is “obsessed” with him, stating that he is living “rent-free” in Horner’s head.

“I said earlier that the thing that stops us from killing each other is that, despite us working for different teams, we are all working for, and all care about, Formula 1. Toto and Christian are a case in point. Sometimes in the moment I think they probably do want to kill each other, the same as I would sometimes like to kill the little s*** who questions our relationship with Ferrari.”

“At the end of the day, though, we are all in this together and as much as I disagree with what this guy thinks, just like Christian will disagree with Toto sometimes and vice versa, we have to remember that ultimately we all sit under the same tree. If we didn’t remember that, we’d be kicking the s*** out of each other all the time.”

‘Strong feud’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/guenther-...ll-each-other/

Christian Horner and Toto Wolff's true relationship explained in new F1 book
    Mirroring the rivalry between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen which descended into anarchy towards the end of 2021, Red Bull chief Horner and Mercedes boss Wolff also have their own feud
    09:06, 19 Apr 2023
    By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer
    The Mirror

In Surviving to Drive, out later this week, the Haas chief tells of how his job works on a day-to-day level. Written in the style of a diary, he writes about events that are happening at the time and offers his own views on those stories.

Guenther Steiner provides some insight into the real relationship between Formula 1 rival team bosses Christian Horner and Toto Wolff in his new tell-all book.

In an entry dated Friday, April 22, 2022, Steiner writes about a dinner that he and the other team bosses were invited to in Imola by F1 chief Stefano Domenicali. "I bet he's careful about the seating plan," the Haas chief quips. "He's not daft. Christian will be at the opposite end to Toto."

‘Careful about the seating plan’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...einer-29748098

Guenther Steiner responds to Toto Wolff's criticism of Mick Schumacher treatment at Haas

Last Updated: 19/04/23 5:45pm
    By Jonathan Green
    Sky Sports

Toto Wolff alleged Guenther Steiner would have treated Mick Schumacher differently had Michael Schumacher been accompanying his son to races; Steiner opens up about managing Mick Schumacher at Haas before he was dropped for Nico Hulkenberg at the end of last season In his new book, Surviving to Drive: A Year Inside Formula 1, Haas team principal Steiner details how Schumacher cost the team in excess of $2m (£1.6m) from crashes in Saudi Arabia, Monaco and Japan.

In his book, Steiner frequently refers to criticism he received from the German media about his handling of Schumacher and the 58-year-old feels that had an impact on his driver's performance. "I think they tried to put pressure on to keep Mick and blame all the team and I don't think that was good for Mick," Steiner told the Sky Sports F1 Podcast.

"In the end, they didn't actively try to divide us but that's what they did. I think he didn't feel good when he heard the things talked about me and I didn't feel good coming from their side. In the end, they tried to divide us. This is not good for Mick, even if they try to do this because in the end the team decides who is going to drive the car and not the driver which car he is driving. There is no point to upset a team about a driver because you want to say 'Guenther didn't take care enough of Mick and how I do things'.”

‘No point to upset a team’;

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32...atment-at-haas

Haas chief Steiner's scathing assessment of Schumacher: 'Where do I start?'
    19 April 2023
    Ben Issatt
    Inside Racing

Guenther Steiner has written a scathing criticism of former driver Mick Schumacher, in a new book on Thursday called 'Surviving to Drive', detailing a year in the life of the Haas team boss during the 2022 Formula 1 season. The Italian was also struck but what he saw as a lack of acknowledgement by Schumacher about the impact of his crashes. “I’m not saying that nobody else at the team makes mistakes. We all do. This isn’t good enough though," Steiner argued.”

"Mick seems unable to appreciate the gravity of the situation at least publicly, which is also worrying. He talks like it’s just one of those things and there is no fault anywhere. If you fok up, admit that you foked up, apologise and then try and improve. That’s what he needs to do. Although I’d prefer it if he just stopped crashing.”

“Mick’s excuse for the crash [in Monaco] was that in order for him to go faster, he has to take bigger risks and this is one of the occasions when taking a bigger risk didn’t work out. That might be a reason for the crash but it’s not an excuse. What does he want? Permission for me to carry on taking risks during races that he can’t cope with? He may as well ask me for permission to drive!”

‘Scathing assessment’;

https://www.insideracing.com/formula...ere-do-i-start

Guenther Steiner on Mick Schumacher fallout: We were 'divided' | Mick was treated fairly
    20th April 2023, 06:10
    Sky Sports

Haas boss Guenther Steiner says he and his former driver Mick Schumacher were 'divided' amid reports that the pair have fallen out. Steiner also insists Schumacher was treated fairly while with the team.

‘We were divided';

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...treated-fairly

Motorsport Forums

Guenther Steiner tells Chris Evans about taking readers inside his Formula 1 team with his new book, Surviving to Drive.
    Legendary Haas F1 team principal Guenther Steiner joined the Chris Evans Breakfast Show with cinch to talk about his first book.
    12:07 Thu, 20 Apr 2023.
    Virgin Radio UK

Despite finding notoriety amongst racing fans for his appearances in the Netflix documentary Drive To Survive, Geunther admitted: “I didn't see any of the series. I never saw an episode.” Admitting that he didn't know how popular the series had become, the F1 star said that it was on a flight to Australia that he “realised that it had picked up”

Because: “People on the aeroplane said, ‘I just watched the show and I cannot believe that you're real’, ‘Yeah, I'm real. I'm on the aeroplane here!’ It was really funny for me.” On speaking his mind, Geunther told Chris: “Mr. Haas, he's a very outspoken man. And as long as you don't offend people, I wouldn't say you're free to say what you want to say, but he gives a lot of freedom.

“Obviously, you shouldn't offend people. But Formula 1 got very sterile, maybe 20 years ago, everything seemed too controlled, too vetted, every word needs to be controlled by seven people. I think with Mr. Haas, that doesn't happen. Sometimes he asks me, ‘Did you really need to say that?’, but that's the only comment he makes. He's not telling me what to say and what not to say.”

“You're real”;

https://virginradio.co.uk/the-chris-...side-formula-1

Book review: Gunther Steiner's Surviving to Drive
    13:09 Thu, 20 Apr 2023.
    By: Stefan Mackley
    Motorsport.com

Having made himself a household name in Drive to Survive, Haas F1 team principal Gunther Steiner is now offering another way to get to know him better. We take a look at his new book, which takes that Netflix series title and flips it on its head

It's fair to say that a star was born when Gunther Steiner uttered words to that effect on an early season of Drive to Survive. Just as much as the Netflix documentary has propelled Formula 1 into the limelight and helped it amass a new following, so too it has done the same for the Haas F1 team principal. T-shirts emblazoned with his face and catchphrases have cropped up across the globe on F1's travels, and the Italian is almost as much of a celebrity as some of the drivers.

It was perhaps inevitable, then, that he published a book, which is aptly titled Surviving to Drive: A year inside Formula 1. Firstly, and very unsurprisingly, reader discretion is advised since there are so many expletives – a Steiner trademark, which, along with his sudden outbursts and forthright comments, have made him a star.

‘T-shirts emblazoned’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...rive/10458645/

Surviving to Drive by Guenther Steiner review: Haas boss takes aim in F1 2022 diary
    17 Apr 2023 9:00 AM
    Sam Cooper
    PlanetF1.com

The 280-page diary, which takes its name from the Netflix series that propelled Steiner from just another team principal to fan favourite megastar, is billed as an “unobstructed view of what really goes on behind the scenes” of a Formula 1 team – and it was quite the season for Steiner and his Haas outfit.

While a suite of new regulations, which Haas sacrificed their 2021 season to prepare for, should have been their big focus, instead Steiner and co. were forced to navigate the fallout of a European nation invading its closest neighbour.

Once Mazepin has been dealt with, the book moves on to what becomes the overriding theme: Mick Schumacher.

“Unobstructed view”;

https://www.planetf1.com/features/su...teiner-review/

“Surviving to Drive” by Guenther Steiner reviewed
    F1 reviews
    Posted on 16th April 2023, 10:0018th April 2023, 10:16
    Written by Keith Collantine
    RaceFans

Has Drive to Survive raised the profile of any individual in Formula 1 more than Haas team principal Guenther Steiner? Steiner’s plain-spoken, unfiltered and often profane reactions to his team’s fluctuating fortunes certainly helped him become the unlikeliest break-out star of the series. But how well does that style come across in book form?

In Surviving to Drive (you can see what they did there) Steiner retells the story of the 2022 season, adding in snippets of his backstory. This is all told in some approximation of his mannerisms familiar from a dozen DTS memes – in other words, heavy on the expletives, including over 300 uses of ‘fok’. That averages out at more than one per page.

The limitations of the style would be tolerable – just – if Surviving to Drive brought compelling new insights into the goings-on at Haas last year. But it adds little to what was reported over the course of 2022 and too often lapses into bland explanations of aspects of the season unrelated to the team.

‘Reviewed’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/04/16/...iner-reviewed/

Extent Schumacher cost Haas in 2022 crashes revealed in new book
    10 April 3:10PM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    RacingNews365

Mick Schumacher lost his seat at Haas in 2022 to Nico Hulkenberg, after a string of crashes cost the team a lot of money at the start of the season.

Guenther Steiner claims Mick Schumacher cost Haas $2 million in crash damage during the 2022 Formula 1 season.

In an extract of his new book Surviving to Drive the Haas Team Principal makes an honest assessment of some of the drivers, including Schumacher who he says cost the team $700,000 during his in-lap crash at last years Japanese Grand Prix.

‘$2 million’;

https://racingnews365.com/extent-sch...ed-in-new-book

Motorsport Forums