Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    They dropped the appeal because they were never going to win it. Not because they have no case, but because it makes no sense to appeal to the fia for some decision made by that same fia.
    That's a pretty simplistic view.

It is more likely that they're dropping their appeal in exchange for something... or greater bargaining power in 2022.

You don't back down from what even the FIA themselves admit was a shambles for nothing.

2. Likes: squibby (16th December 2021)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ouvreur View Post
    That's a pretty simplistic view.

It is more likely that they're dropping their appeal in exchange for something... or greater bargaining power in 2022.

You don't back down from what even the FIA themselves admit was a shambles for nothing.
    They said they've been having talks with the FIA in the background over it and looks like they have come to some form of agreement over it whereby the FIA will be held accountable moving forward. I still think that they haven't taken it to the ICA means that the FIA will be happy to let it boil over and not much will come of it. Mercedes are making a mistake by not moving forward with this.

I think they would have won the case, and I think the FIA know they would have won the case, which is why the FIA have agreed into the probe.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    They dropped the appeal because they were never going to win it. Not because they have no case, but because it makes no sense to appeal to the fia for some decision made by that same fia.
    No, they drop the appeal because the FIA appealed to them to drop the appeal because they think it would be very damaging in a manner that would take years to recover from.

The problem is the damage is done. And Mercedes has not come out of this unscathed either. Because what we the fans see is the team did not stand by their champion. In my eyes, they are shameless cowards.

There is nothing to sit down to analyse. One individual failed at his duty and brought the formula and the FIA into disrepute. Mercedes has come out of this as losers. And that is an impression that is very hard to undo. Three pointed losers!

They have their 8th constructor's title, why should they care about Hamilton's.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 16th December 2021 at 18:35.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    No, they drop the appeal because the FIA appealed to them to drop the appeal because they think it would be very damaging in a manner that would take years to recover from.

The problem is the damage is done. And Mercedes has not come out of this unscathed either. Because what we the fans see is the team did not stand by their champion. In my eyes, they are shameless cowards.

There is nothing to sit down to analyse. One individual failed at his duty and brought the formula and the FIA into disrepute. Mercedes has come out of this as losers. And that is an impression that is very hard to undo. Three pointed losers!

They have their 8th constructor's title, why should they care about Hamilton's.
    Is that a bit Harsh? I can imagine a court will prove that they 'were robbed', but I believe the method of compensation for this is ambiguous. Taking the title off Max for mistakes by the FIA is not a just resolution imo. Exonerating Mercedes opinion of how the race ended, and compensating Mercedes from the FIA's pocket - now that's a just solution in my opinion. The way I see it, the process of exonerating them has already commenced by announcing the 'probe' investigation. I would say there is no doubt that some kind of concession or otherwise has or will be negotiated behind closed doors for compensation. That's how it works in F1 now. Like when Ferrari were allegedly caught cheating with their power units a couple seasons ago.

But anyway, each to their own opinion!

I don't think there is any prize money in the drivers championship? the prize money is in the constructors title? not sure if winning a race gets a bonus or anything. Haven't read that anywhere. So anyway, If Hamilton prefers not to pursue it in court, than Mercedes could just leave it if no prize money at stake - they have the constructors championship.
    Last edited by squibby; 16th December 2021 at 21:35.