Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakar 2022

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    The nine-time World Rally Champion could at least content himself with the fact that he remains just about in touch despite suffering a pair of punctures early on.

“It really wasn’t simple, we messed up and started with two punctures before the neutralisation. There was no room for error in the second part,” Loeb said.

“The first part of the day dented our confidence, but everything turned out fine.”

https://dirtfish.com/off-road/dakar/...-hits-trouble/

2. Likes: focus206 (2nd January 2022)
    Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    In the truck category, Aleš Loprais with his Tatra is the only one who was able to keep behind drivers from the Kamaz army. Rooting for him for a good results, I saw at the starting cerimony that Aleš had a picture of his uncle Karel on his truck as tribute.

4. Likes: dimviii (2nd January 2022)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    DAKAR RALLY
    @dakar
    ·
    4h
    Police cars revolving light No Marathon Bivouac tomorrow Police cars revolving light

The Special Section however will be the same and the vehicles will spend the night at the Al Qaisumah bivouac with their assistance.
    This is why the Marathon Stage wasn't possible in Al Artawiyah... Eyes

https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1477668505864454147
    Last edited by dimviii; 2nd January 2022 at 18:51.

I don't understand this thing: Peterhansel didn't complete the stage according to the tracking... I suppose the car was transported back to the bivouac. So why he's ranked as +23h 30mins, rather than DNF? Is there some sort of Dakar Superrally I'm not aware of?
    Or maybe they just need to update the rankings...

Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    Daammn... the 3 Audis are already "out"!
    I dont know bout you guys but I think I basically watched clips of Audi testing that car on a road course at their factory. I imagine they spent lots of $ and tested these cars on some desert track (...) but I was expecting more from them. Maybe next year, eh

Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
    Stage 1B Highlights:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x86qklf

RedbullTV is also covering it daily, as we all know

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmmjvss View Post
    I dont know bout you guys but I think I basically watched clips of Audi testing that car on a road course at their factory. I imagine they spent lots of $ and tested these cars on some desert track (...) but I was expecting more from them. Maybe next year, eh
    Maybe that explains all the "This vehicle shown here is the Rally Dakar vehicle that is not available as a production model. Closed course, professional driver. Do not attempt." caveat Tweets, just reminding people this isn't representative of the standard of their production models!

Still, the original Audi Quattro competition program didn't start out too reliably either, I believe.

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lmmjvss View Post
    All three continue the race. It's Dakar, a lot can and will happen in the next two weeks.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 407 Times in 272 Posts
    The 9 time champ with besttime in Dakar today

"Stéphane Peterhansel, who suffered mechanical problems yesterday, was forced to wait for his assistance team participating in the T5 category to help him repair and resume the special. Assistance between FIA competitors is authorised by the rules and trucks are participating in the Dakar with this aim in mind. Unfortunately, Peter was over the time limit when he reached a point on the route that the competitors had to pass in no more than 7 hours and 17 minutes after they began the special. Having exceeded this deadline by a quarter of an hour, as a result he received a fixed stage penalty of ten hours. In addition to this, he also received six hours of penalties corresponding to the way points missed at the end of the special which he did not complete. As if this was not enough, he was also ascribed the maximum time permitted to complete the special, namely ten hours and fifty minutes. This time replaces the time he would have posted had he managed to complete the special. In total, Peterhansel was credited with a time of 10 hours and fifty minutes for special 1B, as well as the fixed stage penalty and the missed way point penalties, both totalling 16 hours. In total, the time retained for the man from Vesoul for stage 1B was 26 hours and 50 minutes. By dint of the rules, he remains in the race and, if he is able to claw back the gargantuan time loss suffered, could theoretically still win the race. In any event, if he makes it back to Jeddah, the Audi with race number 200 will indeed feature in the final classification. However, at present he lags behind Nasser Al-Attiyah by a massive 23 hours and 35 minutes."

from dakar.com - an answer to my own question from yesterday. Peterhansel still in the race, almost 24 hours behind Al Attiyah.