Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Here's an idea :
    "Showdown in the desert !" , a return to the final laps .

Yes , folks , a lot of people were unhappy with that final lap sequence , so we're going to run it again with fresh tires and fresh engines turned up to 11 .
    It'll be just the two of them out there , so no back markers to make the finish controversial .

Not that they would ever do this , but imagine the money that could be made if they did .
    Then imagine how much money will flow out to the lawyers from both sides in the courts .

Add those two up and it just might be worth it , and go some way to repair the reputation of the FIA and it's stewarding .
    It might be fun to watch , too .

Just thinking outside the box for a moment .

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Here's an idea :

Yes , folks , a lot of people were unhappy with that final lap sequence , so we're going to run it again with fresh tires and fresh engines turned up to 11 .
    It'll be just the two of them out there , so no back markers to make the finish controversial .

Not that they would ever do this , but imagine the money that could be made if they did .
    Then imagine how much money will flow out to the lawyers from both sides in the courts .

Add those two up and it just might be worth it , and go some way to repair the reputation of the FIA and it's stewarding .

The bookies would go mental with excitement. THAT WOULD SETTLE IT ONCE AND FOR ALL. But l doubt they would do it. It is another unprecedented way to determine the victor which would be well outside the regulations. But yes, l would love it.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    First, let me admit i was wrong in my calculation there, no 32 points were lost.

But no, neither of them finished in monza so no points were lost. Only the race.

In silverstone we have seen a 7 points advantage turn into a 7 points deficit. Hamilton putting him in the wall thus cost him 14 points. The fact hamilton got away with it was the biggest farce this whole season.

But this whole season has been a farce in terms of penalty's. One time you can push someone off, other times not. Some times the one being pushed has to give the position back, sometimes they can just cut the corner. There is just no line in it.

It's time for new stewards and rules that get actually aplied. Especially the rule that says you have to leave space when someone is behind you, that would make close racing possible again.
    I am not going to help you feel better with the way the season ended. You are showing all the symptoms of denial. So you have to find something to justify what has happened. I personally do not care much who wins it. I just want whoever wins it to have done so fairly.
    William Shakespeare

4. Likes: truefan72 (17th December 2021)
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Yeah I can see the guy that already won the race and that needed a miracle to do so agreeing to this one off head to head race.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Here's an idea :

Yep, but ultimately the Merc looks to be the quicker of the two (at least now) so lets level the playing field even further... they both have to do half the race in Red Bulls then both in Mercs for the other half. Then there can be no argument from anyone when Max gets to keep his WDC.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

7. Likes: Bagwan (16th December 2021)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    https://www.fia.com/news/statement-f...-sport-council

Hopefully with the teams involved they will sort out the whole mess of safety cars and red flags.

And I suspect everyone will claim to be happy until it doesn't suit their favorite driver, and then everyone will erupt again.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    To be fair, l reviewed the thinking of the Mercedes strategist. With Lafiti crashing so close to the end, they anticipated the Marshalls would need at least 4 out of the five laps to clear the track.
    This is not about pitting under the Latifi safety car - that was never a viable strategy. The Mercedes strategy mindset had to be that they needed to protect Hamilton from the "latifi scenario" whether it was 6 laps to go or 10 laps.

This is not a fair comment really.
    Dude, all the expert chatter heads agree that Mercedes should have pitted under the VSC. There are detailed analyses. They all agreed because they didn't take that opportunity, Mercedes would be hanging Lewis out to dry if there WAS A LATE SAFETY CAR like say.......Latifi crash.

Merc knew and was thinking about and even asked Hamilton which tire he would like in case there was another safety car. When the time came they FAILED. They do the right strategy, the Latifi safety car doesn't put them at a bad disadvantage.

As far as your incessant whining about the rules - it's what you Europeans do, you screw up all your rules. Whether it is in football, racing, or anything else in life. You have rules for football where you time it secretly and at the end of the match, you just add arbitrary time. In this case, there are rules that override the rules and merely make them suggestions. You have rules where rules are applied differently every race. You reap what you sow.

It is quite comical.
    Last edited by F1nKS; 15th December 2021 at 20:07.

10. Likes: Fortitude (4th January 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    This is not about pitting under the Latifi safety car - that was never a viable strategy. The Mercedes strategy mindset had to be that they needed to protect Hamilton from the "latifi scenario" whether it was 6 laps to go or 10 laps.

Dude, all the expert chatter heads agree that Mercedes should have pitted under the VSC. There are detailed analyses. They all agreed because they didn't take that opportunity, Mercedes would be hanging Lewis out to dry if there WAS A LATE SAFETY CAR like say.......Latifi crash.

Merc knew and was thinking about and even asked Hamilton which tire he would like in case there was another safety car. When the time came they FAILED. They do the right strategy, the Latifi safety car doesn't put them at a bad disadvantage.

As far as your incessant whining about the rules - it's what you Europeans do, you screw up all your rules. Whether it is in football, racing, or anything else in life. You have rules for football where you time it secretly and at the end of the match, you just add arbitrary time. In this case, there are rules that override the rules and merely make them suggestions. You have rules where rules are applied differently every race. You reap what you sow.

It is quite comical.
    I agree with the view that they should have pitted under the VSC. They had 4 seconds in hand to ensure they survive the Redbull fast pitstops. Verstappen would have come in anyway whether Hamilton pitted or not. The Mercedes strategist was over-cautious. If he had done that, Hamilton would not have been so exposed on the last lap.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I would be very happy to hear why you think the last lap was the only fair part of the race?
    At that point the decision is made and the race is on. Was it fair? From what I have read it seems the Race Director can do whatever they want with the safety car. I am sure Masi will claim safety as to why he did what he did.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

13. Likes: Mia 01 (16th December 2021)
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    At that point the decision is made and the race is on. Was it fair? From what I have read it seems the Race Director can do whatever they want with the safety car. I am sure Masi will claim safety as to why he did what he did.
    Try to catch buddy. It has been explained in detail in this and other threads why this is not the case.
    William Shakespeare