Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    Paddon at Italy's Rally Alba with i20 rally2
    To be exactly correct, he's doing the TER events with the old Hyundai i20 R5 and WRC2 events with the new i20 N Rally2.

https://twitter.com/HaydenPaddon/sta...34212758515712

2. Likes: cali (9th May 2022),pantealex (10th May 2022),the sniper (9th May 2022),wyler (9th May 2022)
    Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
    Wrc2 entry

Biolghini (Skoda Fabia rally2) start in Sardegna
    Campagnoli (Hyundai i2o rally2) start in Sardegna and Acropolis

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Sami Pajari will start Sardegna with Toksport's Skoda Fabia

http://www.loudlifemedia.fi/pajari-t...an-mm-ralliin/

5. Likes: Eli (12th May 2022),pantealex (10th May 2022),WRC1 (10th May 2022)
    Liked 9,340 Times in 4,960 Posts
    Chris Ingram focusing on consistency...
    https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc...c2-junior-bid/

Liked 9,340 Times in 4,960 Posts
    Ingram achieved his goal and won WRC2 Junior at Rally Portugal by over a minute.

Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Well, may sound early for a first evaluation but we are already at mid-season for the European rallies and most of the main drivers have already done 3 to 4 rallies.
    In the championship, really difficult to forecast the final outcome with all the mistakes and engine-related retirements even if the championship should be played in the 115-125 points range. Rossel currently leads but, without trouble, Kajto could (and even should) take the lead after Safari; and except him, no one has the right for another bad result now to win the championship.

Here is the current points of the main contenders (I took Toksport main bunch + Kajto + the leader of the other brands).
    Rossel 63 (4 rounds already contested)
    Gryazin 52 (4)
    Mikkelsen 51 (4)
    Ingram 44 (4)
    Kajto 38 (2)
    Huttunen 33 (3)
    Lindholm 21 (2)
    M. Bulacia 0 (4)
    Suninen 0 (2)

About the main question for a support serie «*who could be in main class last year?*» (for sure, not evoking Kajto because too old):
    - Mikkelsen is, without a doubt, the best Rally2 driver at the moment in terms of speed-consistency balance. But his two engine-related retirements limits a little what he could show and he is not that easy in terms of speed even if he is not 100% probably. But with no real improvement margin and probably a couple of rallyes needed to get less rusty in the main class and to know Rally1 cars, I’m not sure he is what a WRC team needs (Batman-style: «*he is the driver WRC deserves but not the one he needs right now*» ). If he doesn’t obtain a couple of rallies in RC1 this year, I think he will enter in the Ostberg category and never come back in main class.
    - Suninen: well, he was fast in Portugal but messing up a result with a mistake like this with his experience and when you apply for a manufacturer spot, sounds not good at all. Difficult to assess his performance in Sardegna with mechanical issues but if the Hyundai is still not reliable, it will be difficult for him to show his level. He will need a strong summer.

Then, there are 4-5 drivers I would rank at the same level approximately so far this season if I consider the difference of level of the car, the difference of experience, ... None of them can really be sure to reach RC1 drives because they are not «*no-brainer talents*» but they are the only one with some credibility at the moment; however, for a team, I’m not sure it’s interesting to make investment on them with a learning period to be done whereas you can invest in a Loubet for example who has already done it. Maybe none of them will never each RCA but maybe one or two can reach RC1 drives thanks to good results this summer, some sponsorships or a team willing to take a bet (and I still hope Toyota will give at least a half-a-season program to a driver like this because it’s what is needed from a manufacturer who wants to install in WRC) and also some RC1 youngsters such as Fourmaux messing up (and guys like Lappi not being efficient):
    - Rossel: well, interesting drives in Croatia and Portugal, some speed has been shown but in the end, even if he is leading the championship right now, sounds like he spoiled opportunities with his two mistakes in Monte Carlo and Sardegna, all the more than they happened when he tried to increase the pace so may let some doubts about his potential. I may be harsh but when you are in your 5th RC2 season and you’re targeting a RC1 job with not a big support (because Stellantis will clearly not help him to get a RC1 job for another brand), you cannot afford that type of mistakes. Nothing is lost but he will have to be better in the last rallies.
    - Gryazin: well, speed is not the issue with him as he has shown again this season. But he still lacks a bit of consistency which can afraid some team directors, all the more with his experience that is a bit higher than most of the guys I rank here. Can Spain be the beginning of a new era for him? Not sure also that the political context will help him.
    - Ingram: consistent yes (and more than the others so far) but clearly lacks a bit of extra-speed so far compared with the others; even if we could say he has one year less of experience than Rossel, he is not more impressive so far than 2021 Rossel’s season. He will need to show that he can combine speed and consistency in his last 3 rounds. Not a bad driver but at the moment, if I was a team director, I’m not sure I would want to spend a learning period with him more than taking a guy that is already doing it (Loubet, Solberg, ...)
    - Huttunen: well, nothing sensational but I’m not sure a lot of Rally2 drivers can make two podiums in Sweden and Sardegna with infamous Fiesta Rally2 and in spite of two punctures in Sardegna where he has shown great pace by sequence, all the more with M-Sport really not caring about Rally2 currently. He may not be first in my personal list but he may be the one with the greatest probability so far to reach RC1 level: some links with M-Sport, Latvala had his name in short-list last year and he seems to be able to bring some sponsorship to fund partially a first season (and he may have a first Rally1 outing in Finland this year).
    - Lindholm: well, difficult to evaluate his season so far with only 2 rallies (but we have some ideas from last season) and we should see him a lot more during the summer. As last season, some great speed (like Croatia’s Power Stage) and some mistakes. Wait and see for him.

Nightmare season for Marco Bulacia: some bad luck with mechanical-related retirements but he also made mistakes on his side. A big step backward for him this season.
    Cais and Linnamae began well their season (MC for Cais, Sweden for Linnamae) but have proven to be too soft since then.
    Some drivers have shown interesting pace on one individual event but a bit early to say something about them (Jan Solans, Veiby and even Pajari considering his experience). Bruno Bulacia did also some good stage times for a first WRC season but never did it to the end so no big sense to evoke him at the moment as a Rally1 contender.
    A bit long summary maybe, Up to you to make additional comments if you have some points you want to add or you disagree.
    Last edited by Danny0405; 6th June 2022 at 13:22.

9. Likes: pantealex (6th June 2022),WRCStan (6th June 2022)
    Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    Well, may sound early for a first evaluation but we are already at mid-season for the European rallies and most of the main drivers have already done 3 to 4 rallies.
    In the championship, really difficult to forecast the final outcome with all the mistakes and engine-related retirements even if the championship should be played in the 115-125 points range. Rossel currently leads but, without trouble, Kajto could (and even should) take the lead after Safari; and except him, no one has the right for another bad result now to win the championship.

Here is the current points of the main contenders (I took Toksport main bunch + Kajto + the leader of the other brands).
    Gryazin 52 (4)
    Mikkelsen 51 (4)
    Ingram 44 (4)
    Kajto 38 (2)
    Huttunen 33 (3)
    Lindholm 21 (2)
    M. Bulacia 0 (4)
    Suninen 0 (2)

About the main question for a support serie «*who could be in main class last year?*» (for sure, not evoking Kajto because too old):
    - Mikkelsen is, without a doubt, the best Rally2 driver at the moment in terms of speed-consistency balance. But his two engine-related retirements limits a little what he could show and he is not that easy in terms of speed even if he is not 100% probably. But with no real improvement margin and probably a couple of rallyes needed to get less rusty in the main class and to know Rally1 cars, I’m not sure he is what a WRC team needs (Batman-style: «*he is the driver WRC deserves but not the one he needs right now*» ). If he doesn’t obtain a couple of rallies in RC1 this year, I think he will enter in the Ostberg category and never come back in main class.
    - Suninen: well, he was fast in Portugal but messing up a result with a mistake like this with his experience and when you apply for a manufacturer spot, sounds not good at all. Difficult to assess his performance in Sardegna with mechanical issues but if the Hyundai is still not reliable, it will be difficult for him to show his level. He will need a strong summer.

Then, there are 4-5 drivers I would rank at the same level approximately so far this season if I consider the difference of level of the car, the difference of experience, ... None of them can really be sure to reach RC1 drives because they are not «*no-brainer talents*» but they are the only one with some credibility at the moment; however, for a team, I’m not sure it’s interesting to make investment on them with a learning period to be done whereas you can invest in a Loubet for example who has already done it. Maybe none of them will never each RCA but maybe one or two can reach RC1 drives thanks to good results this summer, some sponsorships or a team willing to take a bet (and I still hope Toyota will give at least a half-a-season program to a driver like this because it’s what is needed from a manufacturer who wants to install in WRC) and also some RC1 youngsters such as Fourmaux messing up (and guys like Lappi not being efficient):
    - Rossel: well, interesting drives in Croatia and Portugal, some speed has been shown but in the end, even if he is leading the championship right now, sounds like he spoiled opportunities with his two mistakes in Monte Carlo and Sardegna, all the more than they happened when he tried to increase the pace so may let some doubts about his potential. I may be harsh but when you are in your 5th RC2 season and you’re targeting a RC1 job with not a big support (because Stellantis will clearly not help him to get a RC1 job for another brand), you cannot afford that type of mistakes. Nothing is lost but he will have to be better in the last rallies.
    - Gryazin: well, speed is not the issue with him as he has shown again this season. But he still lacks a bit of consistency which can afraid some team directors, all the more with his experience that is a bit higher than most of the guys I rank here. Can Spain be the beginning of a new era for him? Not sure also that the political context will help him.
    - Ingram: consistent yes (and more than the others so far) but clearly lacks a bit of extra-speed so far compared with the others; even if we could say he has one year less of experience than Rossel, he is not more impressive so far than 2021 Rossel’s season. He will need to show that he can combine speed and consistency in his last 3 rounds. Not a bad driver but at the moment, if I was a team director, I’m not sure I would want to spend a learning period with him more than taking a guy that is already doing it (Loubet, Solberg, ...)
    - Huttunen: well, nothing sensational but I’m not sure a lot of Rally2 drivers can make two podiums in Sweden and Sardegna with infamous Fiesta Rally2 and in spite of two punctures in Sardegna where he has shown great pace by sequence, all the more with M-Sport really not caring about Rally2 currently. He may not be first in my personal list but he may be the one with the greatest probability so far to reach RC1 level: some links with M-Sport, Latvala had his name in short-list last year and he seems to be able to bring some sponsorship to fund partially a first season (and he may have a first Rally1 outing in Finland this year).
    - Lindholm: well, difficult to evaluate his season so far with only 2 rallies (but we have some ideas from last season) and we should see him a lot more during the summer. As last season, some great speed (like Croatia’s Power Stage) and some mistakes. Wait and see for him.

Nightmare season for Marco Bulacia: some bad luck with mechanical-related retirements but he also made mistakes on his side. A big step backward for him this season.
    Cais and Linnamae began well their season (MC for Cais, Sweden for Linnamae) but have proven to be too soft since then.
    Some drivers have shown interesting pace on one individual event but a bit early to say something about them (Jan Solans, Veiby and even Pajari considering his experience). Bruno Bulacia did also some good stage times for a first WRC season but never did it to the end so no big sense to evoke him at the moment as a Rally1 contender.
    A bit long summary maybe, Up to you to make additional comments if you have some points you want to add or you disagree.
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Rossel. He has clearly upped his game a notch since the end of last year, from leading the old WRC3 and a 3-5th in RC2 class, to bringing the fight to Mikkelsen, who as you said, i the "yardstick" of WRC2 and a proven WR Cwinner (not WDC material, but still). Yes a few mistakes have been made, but who doesn't when trying ? I currently see more potential in him than in Fourmaux tbh ... His future looks bleak however as Citroen will pull out at season end ...

Huttunen definitely has potential but is hard to judge so far, having moved from the dreadful original Hyundai RC2 car to the equally horrendous Fiesta of today. And Gryazin remains a mystery : Reminds me of the early Armin Schwarz : Blistering fast but enable to find the limit before binning it out. Schwarz did enjoy a long WRC carreer, though ... Also given that he seems to have good financial backing, i wonder why he never tried the odd RC1 drive ...

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Best six of seven scores is still too few in a thirteen round calendar, thus it’s difficult to take the result of the championship too seriously but rather look at performances on individual events.

It’s still possible for championship rivals to barely come into direct competition with each other and a couple of retirements through bad luck or unreliability can really scupper your season.

They either need to have WRC2 only on certain nominated rounds, or increase the number of scores you need to count.

Liked 601 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    Gryazin 52 (4)
    Mikkelsen 51 (4)
    Ingram 44 (4)
    Kajto 38 (2)
    Huttunen 33 (3)
    Lindholm 21 (2)
    M. Bulacia 0 (4)
    Suninen 0 (2)
    Is there anything to be read into who the entrant is with everything you say or mostly meaningless? That is:

Ph-Sport
    Toksport 2
    Toksport
    Ingram
    Kajto
    M-Sport
    Toksport 2
    Toksport
    Hyundai

13. Likes: pantealex (7th June 2022)
    Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Best six of seven scores is still too few in a thirteen round calendar, thus it’s difficult to take the result of the championship too seriously but rather look at performances on individual events.

It’s still possible for championship rivals to barely come into direct competition with each other and a couple of retirements through bad luck or unreliability can really scupper your season.

They either need to have WRC2 only on certain nominated rounds, or increase the number of scores you need to count.
    Really difficult to do more I think; WRC-2 is already incredibly expensive for a driver, don’t see how you can do much more than this and keeping an interesting championship at the same time. And I don’t agree with you about direct competition, the rallies big drivers are doing are quite similar: for example, Rossel and Mikkelsen has already done together Monte-Carlo, Portugal and Sardegna (and we can probably add Greece and possibly Catalunya); Gryazin have faced Mikkelsen in Monte-Carlo, Sweden and Sardegna for WRC-2. In Sardegna, Rossel, Mikkelsen, Gryazin, Ingram, Bulacia, Suninen were there in WRC-2. And competition will also be quite big in Estonia and Finland for sure. Only real particular move so far is Kajto in Safari; but except that, I think we will not find one European rally with less than 4 of the best 8 drivers (Toksport bunch except Bulacia + Kajto-Suninen-Rossel-Huttunen) of the season in entry list and in most of them, it is more 5 or 6. And I would be surprised to see one of these drivers in New Zealand or Japan.

Agree that the championship standing itself has not to be read on a pure mathematical basis but still, you need to show yourself really good in 3 or 5 events in my opinion to be a contender for a RC1 spot, not just in one. And so you’re necessarily high-ranked (at least top 10) which such results (I mean except mechanical failure).
    Last edited by Danny0405; 8th June 2022 at 10:43.