Thread: Elfyn Evans

Liked 382 Times in 178 Posts

Elfyn Evans

I really would like to be a fan of Elfyn Evans, but he makes it difficult! I have trouble understanding his driving level and ability, compared to his rivals. I couldn't find a dedicated thread so have started this one in the hope that members could enlighten me.

On his day, he is as fast anyone and seems to go well in difficult conditions. Two years ago he swapped teams for the first time and was soon challenging for the WRC title until the final round where he crashed.

OK, other top drivers may have similarly crashed in such circumstances (i.e. a do or die situation). Overall, his crash rate (see 2019 crash rate thread) was slightly higher than Tanak's, lower than Breen's and nowhere near Meeke's top mark.

The conundrum for me is that he seems to crash at times/places where others usually don't and not always when under big pressure or in a close fight for a podium.

So, is it his driving style, his mental approach, his misreading & overdriving for the conditions (personally I don't think it is that one) or something else? Please don't answer 'bad luck'!
    Last edited by Rally Hokkaido; 27th February 2022 at 07:28.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Hokkaido View Post
    I really would like to be a fan of Elfyn Evans, but he makes it difficult! I have trouble understanding his driving level and ability, compared to his rivals. I couldn't find a dedicated thread so have started this one in the hope that members could enlighten me.

On his day, he is as fast anyone and seems to go well in difficult conditions. Two years ago he swapped teams for the first time and was soon challenging for the WRC title until the final round where he crashed.

OK, other top drivers may have similarly crashed in such circumstances (i.e. a do or die situation). Overall, his crash rate (see 2019 crash rate thread) was slightly higher than Tanak's, lower than Breen's and nowhere near Meeke's top mark.

The conundrum for me is that he seems to crash at times/places where others usually don't and not always when under big pressure or in a close fight for a podium.

So, is it his driving style, his mental approach, his misreading & overdriving for the conditions (personally I don't think it is that one) or something else? Please don't answer 'bad luck'!
    Similar bad luck than Tänak have had the last two years 😁😁😁

But to be honest, he can drive really fast and well in difficult conditions. But on the other hand makes mistakes in easy and unusual spots. I think it is due to mental pressure.

By the way, we want Meeke back!!!!
    Last edited by Hüttünen; 27th February 2022 at 13:16. Reason: Typo

3. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (27th February 2022),WRC1 (27th February 2022)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    What has happened to Evans this year?
    He has driven very well since he came to Toyota, and grabbed 2 x second place overall, and could have won a title.

This year he has no wins, fewer stage wins, and has been further from the top.
    Is it car changes, tyre changes, personal life changes or other stuff that is to blame?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I can see two things:

- Not being so good with the Rally1 car as the previous WRC car (same as Sordo). Evans has even stated this in an interview.
    - The psychological effect of a younger guy beating him straight by driving (take Portugal for example)

Also this season started with two crashes from good positions (or actually three, since there were two in Sweden). Were they just bad luck or did he overdrive while trying to take his role as the championship contender? But after those incidents he never really found the extra gear he had so often in 2020 and 2021.

6. Likes: cali (22nd October 2022),pantealex (22nd October 2022),Sulland (22nd October 2022),TWRC (23rd October 2022)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    My theory is that it is in his head.

Coming so close behind Ogier he surely must have expected to have big title chances.
    Tried to attack too hard early which cost a lot of points.
    Rovanpera rose up and suddenly Evans is permanently on back foot.

Car might be a factor though. As Evans wasn't very good with pre 2017 cars without active diffs so the diff changes for Rally1 might be particularly hurting him.

8. Likes: AnttiL (22nd October 2022),Eli (22nd October 2022),Sulland (22nd October 2022),TWRC (23rd October 2022)
    Liked 12,209 Times in 5,242 Posts
    IMO it’s the car (like Antti said he has accepted it himself) and his driving style
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

10. Likes: cali (22nd October 2022),pantealex (22nd October 2022),satnav (22nd October 2022),Sulland (22nd October 2022),TWRC (23rd October 2022)
    Liked 3,793 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I can see two things:

- Not being so good with the Rally1 car as the previous WRC car (same as Sordo). Evans has even stated this in an interview.
    - The psychological effect of a younger guy beating him straight by driving (take Portugal for example)

Also this season started with two crashes from good positions (or actually three, since there were two in Sweden). Were they just bad luck or did he overdrive while trying to take his role as the championship contender? But after those incidents he never really found the extra gear he had so often in 2020 and 2021.
    I think it is new car which doesnt suits so to lot of drivers (and really suits to Rovanpera) and also his head - mainly as he was counted as driver number one in Toyota on the beginning of season. He was counted as one of the biggest favourites to win the title...

12. Likes: AnttiL (23rd October 2022),wyler (24th October 2022)
    Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    My theory is that it is in his head.

Coming so close behind Ogier he surely must have expected to have big title chances.
    Tried to attack too hard early which cost a lot of points.
    Rovanpera rose up and suddenly Evans is permanently on back foot.

Car might be a factor though. As Evans wasn't very good with pre 2017 cars without active diffs so the diff changes for Rally1 might be particularly hurting him.
    Spot on.

He needed to lay down a marker early in the season and show he is new Toyota No.1, but he failed and Kalle went from strength to strength. He's like a broken man now that Kalle is champion and doesnt look to have the heart to fight back thinking his chance has gone.

14. Likes: J4MIE (23rd October 2022)
    Liked 12,209 Times in 5,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    IMO it’s the car (like Antti said he has accepted it himself) and his driving style
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-...again-in-2023/
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -