Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    What are everyones thoughts on the track for F1?

Some drivers loved it, others less so, its fast and offers a different challenge from most others but clearly can bite as we expected and witnessed. no run offs, potentially dangerous.

Should it be on the Calender next year?
    horrible. Dangerous due to blind corners everywhere, without there being a reason for it, it was just deliberately build this way. I wonder how much money has been paid to the fia to allow them to run here.

it seems to have been specially designed to cause crashes and safety cars.

So he did brake.. fair enough. In that case Max is guilty as charged. If he was going to brake to try and make Lewis pass before the DRS line he should have been fully over to the right IMO.
    so he braked and hamilton didn't pass him, so he braked more. and verstappen gets a penalty for trying to do what the fia told him to?
    i wonder if they will give russel a penalty because mazepin crashed into him.

there should be some rule that if you are given the chance to overtaken, and you refuse to do so, you loose the place.
    Last edited by denkimi; 5th December 2021 at 23:24.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    so he braked and hamilton didn't pass him, so he braked more. and verstappen gets a penalty for trying to do what the fia told him to?
    i wonder if they will give russel a penalty because mazepin crashed into him.

there should be some rule that if you are given the chance to overtaken, and you refuse to do so, you loose the place.
    Yes but I don't think Lewis had been told Max had been ordered to give the place back which would also have played a major parr in what happened.

Lewis should have been informed of what was going to happen quicker and Max shouldn't braked so hard or at least given him more space to pass but IMO it wasn't Lewis's fault at all.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    What are everyones thoughts on the track for F1?

Some drivers loved it, others less so, its fast and offers a different challenge from most others but clearly can bite as we expected and witnessed. no run offs, potentially dangerous.

Should it be on the Calender next year?
    For the most part it's crap IMHO. Very similar to Qatar in the sense it seems challenging to drive but this one is even faster. Neither really have much of anything for passing opportunity except the long straights.... and DRS passes are boring usually. It's really a shame too, because I think this track had great potential and if you ignore the lack of racing line options it appears stunning.

The number of red flags, safety cars, and VSCs will only probably increase if the field tightens up.

Personally I'd be glad if this track, Qatar, and Monaco all disappear from the calendar. Maybe Baku as well. While qualification is a big part of racing it shouldn't often mean the majority of the weekend. I want the ability for cars to pass and race on track, and too many tracks don't allow that these days.

Yes but I don't think Lewis had been told Max had been ordered to give the place back which would also have played a major parr in what happened.

Lewis should have been informed of what was going to happen quicker and Max shouldn't braked so hard or at least given him more space to pass but IMO it wasn't Lewis's fault at all.
    I feel the biggest one at fault here is mercedes for not informing hamilton on time.

if you look at the footage, verstappen has already slowed down from 8th to 3th gear before he even started braking. Hamilton was already down from 8th to 5th. After that verstappen braked at about 50%.
    So it wasn't like verstappen breaked suddenly or actually hard, it was just hamilton staying right behind because he didn't want to overtake, because he wasn't aware.

I feel it was stupid from max not to move more to the side, but in the end i stay with race incident.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Here , let me toss another log on the fire .

Max downshifted five times just before Lewis hit him . He likely didn't brake at all there .

Back to that first "Mick" incident .
    I believe one TecPro block was pierced , and thus , it's integrity compromised . Since it was a popular spot to park , it needed fixing .
    That's not Masi's fault .
    Blame Tilke and his son for this stupid track .
    Engine braking is considered braking. The tecpro barrier was not dangerous enough to need replacing. It was shuffled back into position which they could have done under safety car conditions
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Yep, I'm mostly in the same camp... although I can also understand why some see it as too dangerous, and too unforgiving.
    The danger of Jeddah is characteristic of street circuits in general. They all have lots of blind corners, hard unforgiving walls or amco barriers and multiple crashes. Until the drivers fully understand the characteristics of this track there would be crashes. I have a feeling there would be fewer crashes next season. As the drivers would learn to respect this track better.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    10 second timed penalty and 2 penalty points for Max. Basically have let him get away with brake testing Lewis, which they clearly show in their decision that he did.

https://twitter.com/rachelbrookestv/...560708608?s=21
    a coward's decision
    so brake testing your opponent that causes significant damage to the car is simply a 10sec penalty. ok got it! smh
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The danger of Jeddah is characteristic of street circuits in general. They all have lots of blind corners, hard unforgiving walls or amco barriers and multiple crashes. Until the drivers fully understand the characteristics of this track there would be crashes. I have a feeling there would be fewer crashes next season. As the drivers would learn to respect this track better.
    But despite them calling it that way, jeddah is no street circuit. It was designed from a cleen sheat, not being restricted by existing infrastructure. There was no reason to make it this narrow and blind or to put the barriers this close, unlike real street tracks like baku or monaco.

They deliberately designed it to be this dangerous and awfull. Another hideous tilke design.

9. Likes: Bagwan (6th December 2021)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    a coward's decision
    so brake testing your opponent that causes significant damage to the car is simply a 10sec penalty. ok got it! smh
    It's ridiculous. They actually admit in the notes that he braked erratically - a sudden 2.4g deceleration. I can't see how this is anything other than an attempt to take your opponent out. This should be an automatic disqualification. This type of dangerous, potentially lethal driving, does not belong in F1.

11. Likes: Firstgear (6th December 2021),truefan72 (7th December 2021),WUff1 (6th December 2021)
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    FORMULA 1 STC SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - RACE RESULT
    03 05 Dec 2021 Jeddah Corniche Circuit, Jeddah

https://www.formula1.com/en/results....ce-result.html

After Max’s penalty, ‘it was not worth fighting anymore’
    Date published: December 6 2021 - Michelle Foster

Penalised in Saudi Arabia for what in Brazil went unpunished, Max Verstappen says he gave up on the win after being told of his five-second penalty.

Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton put on a thriller at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, the title protagonists racing wheel-to-wheel no fewer than three times.

One of those battles, on lap 37, saw Hamilton get a run on the Red Bull driver, using DRS to attempt a pass around the outside at Turn 1.

Verstappen defended with both drivers off the track, and the Dutchman holding onto P1, similar to what happened at Turn 4 at the Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

This time, though, the championship leader was given a five-second penalty for for leaving the track and gaining advantage.

“When they told me that I had the five-second penalty, it was not worth fighting anymore because I would never pull a gap of five seconds,” Verstappen said.

“So yes, a lot of action, a lot of things that happened.

“I think ultimately, we didn’t really have perfect pace in the race, maybe also the medium tyres were not amazing to the end. I think the hard tyres [of Hamilton] had a bit more life in them I think, but as always, it’s easy to say afterwards.

“At the end, that five-second penalty I don’t think is correct but at the end of the day I don’t want to talk about it that much because they don’t deserve any words coming out of my mouth.
    “I find it interesting that I am the one who gets a penalty when both of us ran out of the white lines.

“In Brazil it was fine but suddenly I get a penalty for it; you could see both of us didn’t make the corner. But it’s fine, I also don’t really spend too much time on it. We have to move forward.”
    Told to give the position back to Hamilton after that lap 37 moment, Verstappen slowed only for Hamilton to also slow down and stay behind him.

The Dutchman then braked, and Hamilton drove into the back of him ripping off the right-side of his front wing.

“They told me to give the position back,” Verstappen explained, “and so immediately when I heard that on the radio I just pulled off to the right, showing that I was going to move over, and I braked, downshifted, and he just stayed behind me.

“So I was just looking in the mirror and I’m slowing down and I think there was a bit of a miscommunication and he ran into the back of me.”

Verstappen was given a post-race 10-second time penalty for erratic driving.
    Hamilton won the grand prix and took the fastest lap point with Verstappen P2 despite his time penalties.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-ve...ian-penalties/