Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The question is whether it might be seen as hubris or just confidence in their package .
    But then , nobody is talking about the rocket engine they had in Monaco any more , so maybe no one will discover the sandbags they been carrying .

Now , they're being brazen and almost admitting to the whole thing by talking about the rocket in the open , assuming nobody will notice them dumping the sand just because they're in the desert .

So , yeah , it is a "bit fine" , as you say , but , pull it off and they'll get more accolades for winning a "hard fought" battle than they have had ever before in the hybrid era .

Worth it .

I love a good conspiracy, especially when it looks more convincing as the season progress's.
    I do think they have had things largely in hand with some serious reserve ready to dip into if/as/when required... but I'd also like give Red Bull some credit for making Merc have to work harder and dip into these reserves... and put Merc in a somewhat vulnerable position in the closing races.
    I'm just not convinced that the accolades received by cutting it so fine are well judged versus risk (IIRC, risk management was one of Totto's former job roles?) One DNF for Lewis or Bottas now could easily put one or both championships in serious doubt and I just can't see them taking such a huge risk, calculated or not.

Re- Monaco, I suspect their spicy engine is more of a recent thing. I might be wrong but didn't Lewis pit for fresh tyres when he posted that 1 sec faster lap with the rest of the front runners staying out? If not then you have a very valid point.. I'll have to go review that race now though to be sure I'm remembering it correctly.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    You have flogged that conspiracy to death. You only have to be right if Redbull wins both championships. So what is your point? Mercedes train of wins must come to an end for you to be satisfied.

It is what it is! Pure bare-knuckle racing and the best team shall win it at Abu Dhabi.
    You lost me there .

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I love a good conspiracy, especially when it looks more convincing as the season progress's.
    I do think they have had things largely in hand with some serious reserve ready to dip into if/as/when required... but I'd also like give Red Bull some credit for making Merc have to work harder and dip into these reserves... and put Merc in a somewhat vulnerable position in the closing races.
    I'm just not convinced that the accolades received by cutting it so fine are well judged versus risk (IIRC, risk management was one of Totto's former job roles?) One DNF for Lewis or Bottas now could easily put one or both championships in serious doubt and I just can't see them taking such a huge risk, calculated or not.

Re- Monaco, I suspect their spicy engine is more of a recent thing. I might be wrong but didn't Lewis pit for fresh tyres when he posted that 1 sec faster lap with the rest of the front runners staying out? If not then you have a very valid point.. I'll have to go review that race now though to be sure I'm remembering it correctly.
    You talk as if Redbull is out of it. Any number of things could happen in the next two races. Hence, both Mercedes and Redbull are vulnerable at this point. I would be more confident in Mercedes doing the business if they had not been so glaringly woeful at various points in the season. They are still very capable of messing it up.

Besides, these conspiracy theories greatly undermine Redbull's awesome performance this season. Redbull is in a position Ferrari was unable to reach. They are well poised to sweep up one or both titles if Mercedes fail to perform at their best these next two races.

We are essentially at a point that completely disproves the existence of any conspiracy. If there was one, Mercedes would not allow it to get so perilously close at this point of the season. They risk everything at this point. An engine failure, gearbox malfunction or a DNF while overtaking a backmarker can seriously put paid to their championship hopes.

Both teams are having the last two throw of the dice and it could go horribly wrong for either.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd November 2021 at 19:14.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

My point is , it's been spicier than they've shown all year .
    They've screwed up in a multitude of uncharacteristic ways , including a magic button , and I just don't believe Merc is as incompetent as they've looked this year .

As this season neared , everyone and his uncle was hoping against hope that somebody , anybody , could take the fight to Merc and the era of domination might end .
    It seemed even Mercedes , itself , was really teetering on whether to stick around with the outcome likely to make folks yawn .

But now , with it tight , all are smiling .

If I am correct , and Merc and Lewis don't trip , despite leaving the laces untied most of the year , and win the championships , I think I'll be far more impressed than if it was a cake-walk for them .

I hope I didn't spoil the outcome for anybody there , but it will be epic , and Hamilton will win .

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    You talk as if Redbull is out of it. Any number of things could happen in the next two races. Hence, both Mercedes and Redbull are vulnerable at this point. I would be more confident in Mercedes doing the business if they had not been so glaringly woeful at various points in the season. They are still very capable of messing it up.

Besides, these conspiracy theories greatly undermine Redbull's awesome performance this season. Redbull is in a position Ferrari was unable to reach. They are well poised to sweep up one or both titles if Mercedes fail to perform at their best these next two races.

We are essentially at a point that completely disproves the existence of any conspiracy. If there was one, Mercedes would not allow it to get so perilously close at this point of the season. They risk everything at this point. An engine failure, gearbox malfunction or a DNF while overtaking a backmarker can seriously put paid to their championship hopes.

Both teams are having the last two throw of the dice and it could go horribly wrong for either.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that Red Bull are out of it, absolutely anything can happen as you say.
    I just feel that Merc and Lewis are favourites for both championships. About 70/30 in favour of Merc to take the manufacturers title and 60/40 for Lewis to take the WDC... if its a clean fight and they have no issues.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Red Bull are out of it, absolutely anything can happen as you say.
    I just feel that Merc and Lewis are favourites for both championships. About 70/30 in favour of Merc to take the manufacturers title and 60/40 for Lewis to take the WDC... if its a clean fight and they have no issues.
    Those are favourable odds. I personally think it is 50:50. And l don't think they are favourites to take both titles either. One maybe. I think they have to chase one at the expense of the other. It would take something special for them to win both. My confidence in Bottas is low. He may cost them the constructors championship. The driver's title depends on their engines working well and no crashes between Hamilton and Verstappen.

All Redbull has to do is to keep applying the pressure and see what unfolds.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    My point is , it's been spicier than they've shown all year .
    They've screwed up in a multitude of uncharacteristic ways , including a magic button , and I just don't believe Merc is as incompetent as they've looked this year .

As this season neared , everyone and his uncle was hoping against hope that somebody , anybody , could take the fight to Merc and the era of domination might end .
    It seemed even Mercedes , itself , was really teetering on whether to stick around with the outcome likely to make folks yawn .

But now , with it tight , all are smiling .

If I am correct , and Merc and Lewis don't trip , despite leaving the laces untied most of the year , and win the championships , I think I'll be far more impressed than if it was a cake-walk for them .

I hope I didn't spoil the outcome for anybody there , but it will be epic , and Hamilton will win .
    It is not as simple as that. Redbull are just as likely to win it too.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    I have no pride as a poster on this site or others, all I want is that Max takes the price and Kimi scores some points in the remaining races. all the rest is buzzz for me.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Max Verstappen said he was not surprised to be handed a grid penalty at the Qatar Grand Prix as he "never gets presents" from F1's race stewards.

Erm, Brazil?

What an insufferable moron.
    It was a laughable statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you can't argue with results.

It is not as simple as that. Redbull are just as likely to win it too.
    It has looked far from simple for the Mercedes team to make it appear to have competition this year .

It seems like I have more confidence in Lewis and Merc than you do .
    Weird , eh ?