Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    I find it quite bizarre that the Ulster is a double-points round, despite it being the shortest event of the season by at least 40km
    Ridiculous!! Why do they do this? Double points are fine if it's double the distance. I recall the BRC title decider in 2009 - the Trackrod. Again it offered double points, yet was nowhere near being double distance. From memory, both Cronin & Higgins had the same results; Cronin won due to winning the double points Trackrod......It is bizarre and reeks of 'play offs'....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

2. Likes: HKSjbg (26th July 2022)
    Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    I also don’t get the wisdom in the Cork 20 moving to the end of July, leaving the last round of the championship in August. Sure, we didn’t know if an NI Rally UK was going to happen and it was planned for the same weekend as the Ulster but I don’t see why that meant the Cork 20 moved.

Either the Ulster could have moved to the last weekend of July, or if that was considered too close to the Down Rally then it could have been in October…

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HKSjbg View Post
    I find it quite bizarre that the Ulster is a double-points round, despite it being the shortest event of the season by at least 40km
    Its just a coincidence that the final rally of the season happens to be the shortest. At least its got the challenge of night stages.

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    I guess Cork 20 were getting pretty bored of being the last round of the year. It's one of the best events in Ireland, but rarely does it get the entry it deserves, since the championship is usually a done deal by the time it runs, even with 1.5x points on offer.

I suppose the idea of making Ulster worth 2x points, is that it should still have some meaning. While it's the shortest event, that certainly does not mean it's the easiest... any time lost to small mistakes or bad tyre decisions will be harder to make back.

It's one of those situations where the championship would get slated either way. Either the last round is a dead rubber, or it's considered artificial. Let's wait and see - it might just be brilliant, who knows?

A win at Cork 20 will be key. How it could work out...

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/07/27/...trcs-top-four/

Liked 403 Times in 251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Its just a coincidence that the final rally of the season happens to be the shortest. At least its got the challenge of night stages.
    Yes bizarre wasn’t the right word. Ironic that the shortest event is the one worth most points, a shame that the shortest event is the ‘grand finale’. But then as said above the shorter event can sometimes be more of a high-pressure conclusion to the season.

At least its not a comically short 70km clubman event!

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Off topic, but rather mixed feelings watching the Commonwealth Games triathlon live on BBC1, with them running along roads used for various versions of the Sutton Park RAC Rally stage... Nice to imagine what it'd be like if used today!

9. Likes: AndyRAC (30th July 2022)
    Pretty damn close on the Cork 20...

After Stage 6/15

1 Moffett 32:18.4s
    2 Fisher +0.2s
    3 Devine +2.0
    #M-SPORTER

All change on SS7... the top guys all spun !

https://www.facebook.com/onthepaceno...flite=scwspnss

Leader Fisher has crashed out on the opening stage Sunday morning. Moffett takes the lead and looks ever-stronger for the title.