Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Unfortunately, this time, Mercedes did not set up their car with the right balance which cost them this race l felt..
    I watched a youtube video yesterday that claims Mercedes gains over the last few races have come from a new 'trick' rear lowering suspension. It said that due to the curvy layout/geometry of COTA this system was ineffective there. It didn't go on to say which of the remaining races it would be more effective at, but I suspect it's the ones with more longer straights.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    It was a great bounce-back for Redbull and Verstappen. Unfortunately, this time, Mercedes did not set up their car with the right balance which cost them this race l felt. Hence, we did not have the head to head with both cars in their best setup. Whatever the case, the stage seems to be set for Verstappen to win the drivers championship, as we head to Redbull tracks in Mexico and Brazil. The championship gap is set to widen even further with a possibility of the championship going to the wire if Hamilton and Mercedes can win both the desert races of Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Even so, Verstappen would need to finish on the podium at Abu Dhabi to win the driver championship.

That said, this would only be the case if Verstappen can win in Mexico and Brazil. If Hamilton can at least win Brazil before heading into the desert, then the driver's championship could be thrown wide open again heading into Abu Dhabi.

It was a bit unclear which of the two racecars is faster as Mercedes did not dial their car into its best setup. Redbull did and walked away with the win. It seems they are equally as fast as the other in their best trim at the moment.

Only just watched the race last night and didn’t want to come on the forums for spoilers lol.
    Yeah things seem to be destined for rbr and verstappen. But we shall see. Its a 12 point gap. Not insurmountable but concerning. The undercut was significant and for a moment i thought mercedes would have gone with a 1 stop strategy. It made no sense to leave hamilton on a longer first stint instead of coming in a lap later and minimizing the undercut gap. Oh well. Might have won it if it was a 60 lap race. Haha

Once again, bottas was nowhere.
    Congrats to Max and Perez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Only just watched the race last night and didn’t want to come on the forums for spoilers lol.
    Yeah things seem to be destined for rbr and verstappen. But we shall see. Its a 12 point gap. Not insurmountable but concerning. The undercut was significant and for a moment i thought mercedes would have gone with a 1 stop strategy. It made no sense to leave hamilton on a longer first stint instead of coming in a lap later and minimizing the undercut gap. Oh well. Might have won it if it was a 60 lap race. Haha

Once again, bottas was nowhere.
    Congrats to Max and Perez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Mercedes strategic deliberations produce decisions that are hit and miss. This has been the weakest area of their operation. And one that we have identified as a potential to cost them one of the championships this season. As it goes, it is looking like the driver's championship.

You are right of course, you never know what the next few races might throw out. Twelve points is certainly not a comfortable lead but a psychological elixir no less. Verstappen can smell the title like Massa in 2008 but this time with five races to go. For the 4th time in Hamilton's career, he has been fought hard to the end of the season. He has that experience to pull on. For Verstappen, this is all new. The last time he was in this sort of position was in his F3 days. But having an F1 father behind him to keep him steady goes a long way. Just look at how far Verstappen has come. Even so, neither father nor son has ever experienced what is looking possibly to happen. It is quite exciting to watch this season unfold.

One thing is certain, Mercedes need to shake things up for 2022. Their current paddock staffing would not do for the next era of racing.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 29th October 2021 at 17:24.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    I watched a youtube video yesterday that claims Mercedes gains over the last few races have come from a new 'trick' rear lowering suspension. It said that due to the curvy layout/geometry of COTA this system was ineffective there. It didn't go on to say which of the remaining races it would be more effective at, but I suspect it's the ones with more longer straights.
    It is very likely the case. The Merc was a bit unstable coming out of the corners. The rear end was very unbalanced.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    I hope hamilton manages to win the next round so it stays as close as possible till the very end.
    That's the plan .
    Shhhhh .

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    That's the plan .
    Shhhhh .
    I assume the plan from mercedes is to win at every race. Which is kinda the same plan like redbull.

But only one of those plans can work out at the same time.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    As always, Fernando Alonso managed to extract 115% out of his car's performance.

(A throwback to the crazy comments of 2011-2012 era :-)